Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sulecrist posted:

[Some] gay men who hear the snickering and know the “love” is, at least in many instances, a joke at their expense? Beer’s avatar might be a completely sincere statement of personal sexual orientation, I don’t know them well, but the fact remains that a lot of beefcake stuff in this hobby is making light of sexual attraction to men, not attempting in good faith to even the playing field for women.

But maybe they were talking about, eg, the Darkoath stuff or Arena Rex models, which are extremely cool and meant to evoke cultural touchstones like gladiators and Conan the Barbarian that, while sometimes appreciated because of their sexualization, unquestionably aren’t homophobic in design or general appeal.

EDIT: re Angharad specifically, my brother plays her Warband all the time and repeatedly forgets she’s female, which is a pretty good test imho.

I'm a straight male. Someone gave me this avatar because I do a lot of math in my Space Barbie game and because I wasn't a fan of the original SoB model line. I assumed it was obvious from the red text and fedora that it wasn't a sincere demonstration of self expression.

My comment was intended as a joke to counter the fantasy trope of two characters with the same role being equipped with wildly different clothing depending on their gender. To answer your question I was thinking more in terms of Conan the Barbarian than anything meant to mock gay culture or encourage homophobia. I wasn't familiar with Arena Rex but looking it over that's a good example of an implementation I think is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
They must have been really mad to spend that much effort on animating a custom avatar.

That's some class-A butthurt right there.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, someone spent a hell of a lot of time on that avatar.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

The darkoath stuff is baller as gently caress and I would proudly show them off to my mum.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I hope they make a whole army of Darkoath and their aesthetic just supplants the normal Slaves to Darkness as the default look of Chaos in AoS, they rule. I bought the warband and I don't even play Underworlds.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Resting Lich Face posted:

They must have been really mad to spend that much effort on animating a custom avatar.

That's some class-A butthurt right there.

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, someone spent a hell of a lot of time on that avatar.

Hence why I keep it. It's practically art.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've spent years in the 40k hobby yet managed to spend most of them pretty much avoiding anything Imperium, so help me out: what's the appeal of Black Templars if you're not into Teutonic imagery, Deus Vult, and hate?

Cam from Badcast is the only guy I'm aware of who plays them who isn't a chud of some variety, and while I'm certain there's more than him, the Chapter is nonetheless a chud favorite for a variety of reasons. Is it because they're the closest you can get to power armored Nazis without getting chased out of a store?

No offense to normal people who like them, I'm just curious as to why.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
if you're a 3rd ed kid, they were The Face of Space Marines as the pivot was completed from their characterization as techfuture soldiermen with a starship troopers vibe to Grim Knight Boys of Future Medieval Times. there's definitely a nostalgia factor there.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Deified Data posted:

I've spent years in the 40k hobby yet managed to spend most of them pretty much avoiding anything Imperium, so help me out: what's the appeal of Black Templars if you're not into Teutonic imagery, Deus Vult, and hate?

Cam from Badcast is the only guy I'm aware of who plays them who isn't a chud of some variety, and while I'm certain there's more than him, the Chapter is nonetheless a chud favorite for a variety of reasons. Is it because they're the closest you can get to power armored Nazis without getting chased out of a store?

Fash like them because, yes, they're assholes who think the Crusades were great and a high water mark of Christian/white supremacy ideals. The iron cross of WW2 Germany is icing on the cake. Not-assholes like them because knights are cool and the black-and-white scheme is pretty cool, and there's little bits of European/Arthurian myth teased at in the lore. Rules wise, they used to have some minor mechanical differences to normal marines as well which were nifty, not sure if that's still the case though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

open_sketchbook posted:

if you're a 3rd ed kid, they were The Face of Space Marines as the pivot was completed from their characterization as techfuture soldiermen with a starship troopers vibe to Grim Knight Boys of Future Medieval Times. there's definitely a nostalgia factor there.

I'll chalk it up to this then

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Deified Data posted:

They're incredible idiots who have to chain their weapons to their wrists.

Grimaldius is Daddy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Black Templars are easy to paint. Black, with some white details. Boom, done.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

open_sketchbook posted:

This is absolutely true, and they were also featured prominently in Codex Armageddon, along with the Steel Legion, Kult of Speed, and Salamanders.

Ironically, the Black Templars are one of the only unambiguous "good guy" chapters, with actually heroic heroes, a moral compass, and companion for regular humans. As far as I know the list is basically just them, Ultras, Salamanders, and Celestial Lions.

It was also one of the first chapters to depict black people marines in official art, as far as I can tell.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

They're still REALLY MAD about the heresy 10k years later and have a history of telling the imperium to gently caress off with all their stupid rules, and they use a lot of interesting knightly imagery, oaths, etc. Plus their first chapter master is pretty cool and has one of my favorite scenes in any 40k book. https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/87ds1k/book_excerpt_black_legion_sigismunds_death/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I think it's entirely possible to like them without being a chud, though they definitely have appeal to chuds with them going on crusades and being more zealous about purging heretics and psykers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deified Data posted:

They hate Psykers, in earlier editions had a rule where if they failed a morale test they ran towards the enemy, are literal Space Knights with Space Squires, had the Land Raider Crusader which was covered in bolters, and at least in my experience they aren't any more blatantly fascist than the rest of the Imperium.

Also I really don't know about deriving someone's politics from their preference of army.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Deified Data posted:

In addition to the things mentioned :

- They used to be better in-play. A basic Black Templar dude got slightly better abilities for the same points as a regular space marine in 3rd edition.

- They had (have?) a different organization in-game, where their basic troops choice could take a mix of marines and scouts ("neophytes") in big squad of up to 20 guys, which was fun to charge across the table.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I'm about as anti-fascist as a person can get, and I think black templars look cool as poo poo. If they had a (fun) codex, I'd probably start a small primaris detachment to go along with my other imperium stuff. They obviously evoke knights templar, with medieval style warrior monks, with mysticism and asceticism, on a mission from god the emperor, iron discipline and honouourrable melee and so on. At least to me.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
They sadly lean heavily on "purity" for humans but the big underlining joke is all humans will mutate at one point and they are fighting for an ideal not obtainable, and will totally use psykers for travel because they have to but thats ok totally guys what are you talking about?

Knights are cool too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FMguru posted:

Black Templars are easy to paint. Black, with some white details. Boom, done.

Back in January when I was dipping my toes back in GW stuff for the first time in ages I would go around my FLGS and ask people why they chose the faction/chapter they were playing, kind of to get a feel for the current state of the game, and this is almost verbatim what the Black Templars player told me. He said it took him something that seemed totally absurd, like 30 minutes total per model.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also I really don't know about deriving someone's politics from their preference of army.

Fair enough - don't want it to sound like that's a thing I normally do, just think it sucks they've been adopted as a sort of mascot by 40k chuds but those people do enjoy grasping at surface-level understandings of the lore

Need a version of that bullet going over the guy's head meme where he's just saying "wow, deus vult!"

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I discussed earlier in this thread a really weird guy I know. He has a really caring heart and I've seen him participate in more than one antifa event, but the dude is obsessed with the Crusades and as an extension, the Black Templar.

It's really hard not to assume bad things about him but I've been in his group of friends for over 10 years and I haven't heard one person have anything bad to say about him, and our friend group is mostly liberal and filled with LGBT+ so he's either really good at hiding it or an enigma :shrug:

Point is it's taught me to maybe not judge a person based on their army. Excluding obvious things like "pimp" themed primarchs and SS armies with assloads of swastikas.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, I think the Crusades are fascinating. Just, uh, not for anywhere near the same reasons that the fash tend to, because my view of them is that they tend to be a comedy of errors.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, I think the Crusades are fascinating. Just, uh, not for anywhere near the same reasons that the fash tend to, because my view of them is that they tend to be a comedy of errors.

Some historians (Runciman, et al) refer to the Crusades as a "barbarian invasion."

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah this. History, basically all of human history, has really interesting parts, even the awful bits. Maybe especially the awful bits. Being interested in them isn't a problem, it's holding up the worst people and events in them as something to be emulated that's an issue.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

Didn't the "true" first crusade not even get to Jerusalem, and didn't they also only fight other Christians along the way, the whole time killing Jews for seemingly no reason?

Some people don't even know about that crusade because it happened a full year before the historic event known as "The First Crusade".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The curse about living in "interesting times" is really on-point in this regard. A lot of terrible history is fascinating to everyone. Terrible people will gravitate towards certain aspects, but they tend to revere the troublemakers rather than learn from them.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

Didn't the "true" first crusade not even get to Jerusalem, and didn't they also only fight other Christians along the way, the whole time killing Jews for seemingly no reason?

Some people don't even know about that crusade because it happened a full year before the historic event known as "The First Crusade".

No the first crusade was the only one to take Jerusalem. And most (possibly all) of them involved fighting other Christians along the way.
Unless you're referring to something I've never heard of, in which case please explain.

Edit: There was a group of peasants who got on the road before the nobility could mobilize ,who did fight other Christians on the way and get taken out in their first battle, but I've never heard that referred to as a separate crusade.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 24, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Servetus posted:

No the first crusade was the only one to take Jerusalem. And most (possibly all) of them involved fighting other Christians along the way.
Unless you're referring to something I've never heard of, in which case please explain.

Edit: There was a group of peasants who got on the road before the nobility could mobilize ,who did fight other Christians on the way and get taken out in their first battle, but I've never heard that referred to as a separate crusade.

It's literally called The Peoples Crusade, but yeah I got some details wrong but they're definitely called Crusaders and they were trying to get to Jerusalem, they just didn't have the Popes blessing

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 24, 2019

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The real gently caress-up of a crusade was the Fourth, where the Latins ended up sacking Constantinople and running the short-lived Latin Empire there.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

It's literally called The Peoples Crusade, but yeah I got some details wrong but they're definitely called Crusaders and they were trying to get to Jerusalem, they just didn't have the Popes blessing

Fair enough, I'd forgotten that was actually called that. Most of the histories I've read just lump it in as part of the first crusade.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Corrode posted:

The real gently caress-up of a crusade was the Fourth, where the Latins ended up sacking Constantinople and running the short-lived Latin Empire there.

Which, incidentally, was literally the opposite direction from where they intended to go, which was Egypt. The entire Crusade also got excommunicated for a while before they got to Greece, too.

Things kind of got away from them after they realized they had no boats and needed help from Venice.

Never need help from Venice.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mors Rattus posted:

Which, incidentally, was literally the opposite direction from where they intended to go, which was Egypt. The entire Crusade also got excommunicated for a while before they got to Greece, too.

Things kind of got away from them after they realized they had no boats and needed help from Venice.

A disinherited "heir" to the Roman throne promised the Venetians money to pay for the ships used in the crusade if they helped. It's not like they wound up there accidental.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

evol262 posted:

A disinherited "heir" to the Roman throne promised the Venetians money to pay for the ships used in the crusade if they helped. It's not like they wound up there accidental.

Oh yeah, no, this was less "accident" and more "every possible bad decision."

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Mors Rattus posted:

wasn't Venice then like "ok motherfuckers you need us so first you're gonna rob where we want you to"?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cat Face Joe posted:

wasn't Venice then like "ok motherfuckers you need us so first you're gonna rob where we want you to"?

This is why they got excommunicated, yes.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

General Olloth posted:

Hahah it's cool man I can say the N word because you're my friend. Anyway those OTHER browns smell.

Man gently caress people. I hope you told him you can handle a joke but he's a lovely person for making the 'joke'.

I didn't call him out, but l usually say his white supremacy is intensifying whenever he says anything stupid. Usually when I meet him, I just greet him with a "hello racist/nazi/fasc" pretty loudly.

He seems to be unable to handle these jokes well and gets very upset.

Takes them too personally for some reason :confused:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Deified Data posted:

what's the appeal of Black Templars if you're not into Teutonic imagery, Deus Vult, and hate?

A guy in our gaming group is Maltese.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yeast posted:

A guy in our gaming group is Maltese.

Does he have an earring, smoke cigarillos and dress inexplicably as a sailor?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Samovar posted:

Does he have an earring, smoke cigarillos and dress inexplicably as a sailor?

shaved head, earring, straight edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

For sure it is! But one of the strengths of a genuinely diverse environment is that someone's likely to spot it.

I have no good advice about how to figure this stuff out if you don't already have a diverse group, except that you can probably use "assholes" as a blanket term for people to be looking out for. So at random times, ask yourself:

Would an outsider think someone was being an rear end in a top hat right now? If it helps, pretend that video is being taken and it's just been posted to youtube with the heading "local rear end in a top hat displays usual rear end in a top hat behavior at nerdgame meetup, christ what an rear end in a top hat". Could an outsider tell you who that's referring to?

Let's say you decide that yeah, yeah they could.

Could you explain to the outsider why this person is not actually an rear end in a top hat, in a way that sounds plausible and doesn't make you feel awkward*? If so, could you still explain it if the outsider were gay? (Muslim, a woman, in a wheelchair, a little person, autistic, etc), or would it make you feel awkward? Or maybe it's no longer plausible?

Awkward? Implausible? Both? You might have found a missing stair.
My point being that some missing stairs hide their behavior very well to the point where people can't notice.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 25, 2019