Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

(Fortunatas don't have a Placate, though.)

And, sadly, the Presence power that Placates doesn't work for Fortunatas. I haven't checked the one in Concealment, but that's a hell of an investment just to get a Placate. I just think of the out-of-stealth burst as a nice bonus instead of a core mechanic on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Widows and Bane Spiders don't have any sort of Assassin's Strike analogue. They just deal crits out of stealth with their normal attacks, or after a Placate to put them back into stealth (Fortunatas don't have a Placate, though.)

Also, Stalkers are perfectly fine on teams with the instant Assassin's Strike in combat. Their crit chance for all their attacks goes up to 33% on a full team, too.

From the few groups I ran with higher level Stalkers they seem to go into the group of mobs and do a big ae explosion taking out all the minions, then they can focus on the bosses. They give me Stalker envy.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I'm not sure what's causing some of the costume pieces not loading on profiles and contacts, but it has resulted in some hilarious nonsense!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

tezcat posted:

Annnnddd im sold, biggest question is do the animations look janky on a flying character.

Trying to fly in combat on a melee character will always be awkward as gently caress.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fried Sushi posted:

From the few groups I ran with higher level Stalkers they seem to go into the group of mobs and do a big ae explosion taking out all the minions, then they can focus on the bosses. They give me Stalker envy.
Were they kinetic melee?

Unlike all other stalker AOEs, burst is 100% crit from hide. The devs were sacked before they could fix it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Any elegant solutions for builds with TOO MANY ACTIVE POWERS?

I like my grav/MA dominator a lot, but I’m only level 20 and I’m already running out of keyboard numbers and mouse thumb buttons. Binding an alt tray to ctrl+Number always felt awkward/ like I’m on the express train to some weird arthritis.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sophism posted:

I'm not sure what's causing some of the costume pieces not loading on profiles and contacts, but it has resulted in some hilarious nonsense!

Cel shader. Something about it makes contact portraits break.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roach Warehouse posted:

Any elegant solutions for builds with TOO MANY ACTIVE POWERS?

I like my grav/MA dominator a lot, but I’m only level 20 and I’m already running out of keyboard numbers and mouse thumb buttons. Binding an alt tray to ctrl+Number always felt awkward/ like I’m on the express train to some weird arthritis.
You can always use - and + to swap around trays quickly

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Gynovore posted:

Stalkers are weird. They're a bit limp on teams, because once that Assassin Strike gets through it's eight second animation, the boss is already 3/4 dead. They make good soloists, but very poor farmers due to having almost no AoEs. So pretty much a Stalker is for people who like to solo but not farm.

Stabby widows have a bit less damage and armor, but gain some great team support powers.

They made changes to AS right before the game died that fixed all that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Cel shader. Something about it makes contact portraits break.

I like that it makes the portraits look like characters pulled directly out of the FF7 engine.

Now if only I could figure out how to get the cel shader to not make persistent particle effects look like total rear end.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Thundarr posted:

I like that it makes the portraits look like characters pulled directly out of the FF7 engine.

Now if only I could figure out how to get the cel shader to not make persistent particle effects look like total rear end.

Turning off transparency quantization does the trick.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 24, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

And, sadly, the Presence power that Placates doesn't work for Fortunatas. I haven't checked the one in Concealment, but that's a hell of an investment just to get a Placate. I just think of the out-of-stealth burst as a nice bonus instead of a core mechanic on them.

I would expect it doesn't work either, at least not the way you'd want it to, because "placate" just means "the enemy forgets you're there". The "placate and instant hide" effect is specific to the version of placate that stalkers/bane spiders/night widows get, because it interacts with their own powers, while the ones from the pools are just generic.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

tezcat posted:

Annnnddd im sold, biggest question is do the animations look janky on a flying character.

Just the whirling one really, plus any you think look dumb on the ground. Flying melee is no problem, did it on db/wp, mace/shield, bs/shield, dark/dark tank and scrapper, mace/dark, inv/axe. I particularly like tanking from just above the mobs.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Gynovore posted:

Stalkers are weird. They're a bit limp on teams, because once that Assassin Strike gets through it's eight second animation, the boss is already 3/4 dead. They make good soloists, but very poor farmers due to having almost no AoEs. So pretty much a Stalker is for people who like to solo but not farm.

If you're a new player, please disregard this post outright. Stalkers are in an amazing position and do fantastic on teams. Do not be afraid to try them, you can build both AOE and ST on them depending on your power choices, and the AT feels so good to play after the changes near the end of the game's life.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Elec/shield stalker is great at farming, possibly better than scrapper because of hide crit?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sophism posted:

Turning off transparency quantization does the trick.

Oh nice, I'll give that a shot.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

Elec/shield stalker is great at farming, possibly better than scrapper because of hide crit?

They are great, and because they swap out thunder clap for assassin strike they have much better single target to focus down the bosses that are left after you shield charge/lighting rod everything to death.

The only real downside of elec/shield stalker compared to scrapper is there is no taunt aura, so after you nuke the group the 1 or 2 stragglers run as fast as possible.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

I don't know if they changed it in the stalker rework but I had this idea on live and was disappointed to find out target area AoEs from hide only have like a 50% crit chance.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Nessus posted:

Thanks for the tip - I rebound those commands to E & W, and am putting long-cooldown things on tray 2. Works pretty well for me so far.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thundarr posted:

I was thinking King's Field

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone have any ideas/suggestion for which powerset would benefit the most from the Fighting pool attacks?

I'm playing an MA/SR Scrap with all three attacks from the fighting pool and it's actually pretty awesome. Boxing recharges really fast and fills in any gaps in the attack chain while the Cross Punch hits hard and gives me another small AoE. I have my MA animations set to Punchy style and it thematically looks great punching the poo poo out of people.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I forgot how much I enjoyed playing PB/WS. It's such a diverse class. I just need to figure out how I set up my bars. Right now I got bar 9 as my squid form so I can easily switch to it.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Was /shield a i25 change or did stalkers have that on live?

Related, does anyone have a link to all the i25 changes/patch notes? The Google doc one I had appears dead.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Gynovore posted:

if you're a stalker in a group and you're spending too much time trying to land AS from hide, here's what you can do: stop trying to do that. you get free AS crits every three hits, use those instead

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Nessus posted:

I've had good luck just expanding the trays, so I have trays 1, 2 and 3 up, and can use #, ALT-# and CTRL-#.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So I've got like 30 enhancement converters and 350 or so merits. I'm guessing I should spend all those merits on more converters and sell them on the AH in batches for around 100k per converter? Then buy the twelve defender ATOs and despair as I realize how many more merits I'll need to farm for some of the rare IO sets.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

None of you guys use shift? Your little finger naturally rests on it if you're using WSAD to move, and unlike ctrl or alt you can reach the nearest number keys without any awkward hand gymnastics while holding it (or maybe I have abnormally tiny hands).

I use 1234QE and shift + 1234QE for abilities. I also wrote a freepie script that doubles up the first four action keys. So pressing 1-4 will fire off one of two skills each, depending what's on cooldown.

If I need more than 16 active abilities I change my build, because gently caress that noise. I still have nightmares about playing elementalist in GW2.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 24, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

tooterfish posted:

None of you guys use shift? Your little finger naturally rests on it if you're using WSAD to move, and unlike ctrl or alt you can reach the nearest number keys without any awkward hand gymnastics while holding it (or maybe I have abnormally tiny hands).

I use 1234QE and shift + 1234QE for abilities. I also wrote a freepie script that doubles up the first four action keys. So pressing 1-4 will fire off one of two skills each, depending what's on cooldown.

If I need more than 16 active abilities I change my build, because gently caress that noise. I still have nightmares about playing elementalist in GW2.

MB4, MB5, QEZXCVFG

MB4, MB5, Q, E, F & G are where my main attack chain goes, bottom row ZXCV is for heals/buffs/stuns/etc.

Toggles/rezzes/other rarely used stuff go on shift versions of that... but I usually just click those anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i will never ever set up my keys in a game so it that requires a button hold and press for abilities.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Psi/Time blaster has been really solid at soloing, but is it going to have any trouble finding a team in late game? I feel way more focused on single target than I'm used to.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i will never ever set up my keys in a game so it that requires a button hold and press for abilities.

Why not? It's super convenient. In fact many games require you to hold one button and press another button.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Psi/Time blaster has been really solid at soloing, but is it going to have any trouble finding a team in late game? I feel way more focused on single target than I'm used to.

No, and only dickheads are going to be interested in your exact powersets before they invite you. Frankly, I feel like there are too many support characters out there and not enough DPS people looking for teams. I've been on teams with literally 6 controllers, and it's great that nothing moves and I never take damage, but it takes forever to chew through mobs that way!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I always find it funny when people advertise their powersets in LFG, because the only powersets anyone has any concerns about are Energy and Storm. You could just say "level 28 warm body looking to fill spot on team" and do just fine in this game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
One could even argue that the level is irrelevant, unless its a task force.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Thundarr posted:

So I've got like 30 enhancement converters and 350 or so merits. I'm guessing I should spend all those merits on more converters and sell them on the AH in batches for around 100k per converter? Then buy the twelve defender ATOs and despair as I realize how many more merits I'll need to farm for some of the rare IO sets.

If you've found a forever home, sure, but assuming you're going to alt around, at that level of inf you can start dropping the 10 mil on super packs. You've got something like a 75% chance of getting two ATOs in one?

Also on the topic of enhancement converters, don't a lot of rare sets have a cheap uncommon piece?

Glazius fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 24, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Brave New World posted:

I always find it funny when people advertise their powersets in LFG, because the only powersets anyone has any concerns about are Energy and Storm. You could just say "level 28 warm body looking to fill spot on team" and do just fine in this game.

gently caress concerns about energy and storm

knockback 4 life

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jazerus posted:

knockback 4 life

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Jazerus posted:

knockback 4 life

There was a goon storm (controller?) who was loving pro and great to team with. He would circle around the edge of a pack of mobs and bump them all back towards the middle. So everything was always on its rear end AND the groups were actually clumped even tighter for AoE thanks to the knockback.

It's not what you play it's how you play it, especially so in COH/COV.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Completely hosed my team by aggroing as a blaster, it’s just like old times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hakarne posted:

There was a goon storm (controller?) who was loving pro and great to team with. He would circle around the edge of a pack of mobs and bump them all back towards the middle. So everything was always on its rear end AND the groups were actually clumped even tighter for AoE thanks to the knockback.

It's not what you play it's how you play it, especially so in COH/COV.

Yeah, that's pro-hurricaning