Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O word. Sorry. Too used to racist dipshits to recognize a joke. My bad!

Edit : Uh.... Which Landsknechte had the best cod-pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ACAB. All codpieces are beautiful

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

zoux posted:

The trick to french is to pronounce as few letters as possible in any given word

Laziness is the key to pronouncing any language like a native

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

The trick to kwebecker is to swear as often as possible in any given sentence

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tabernacle!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
It's all about how many times you can say hon hon hon, based on when I went to Quebec.

Also the one time I went to Quebec I ended up speaking Spanish more than using my terrible French because I found a bakery where all the workers were from Ecuador and we ended up hanging out for a week, it was awesome. They gave me a baguette to take home

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure the Museum of History in Gatineau says otherwise but alright...

Helps that it's a federal museum and not provincial. Our history education in Quebec varied lots throughout the decades, but it's definitely a thread in older generations of "We were really nice to the natives. The English and the Iroquois were total dicks tho" when the reality is probably closer to "Jaques Cartier probably shouldn't have decided to help out the Huron in a brush war against one of the most united and powerful native confederacies, thus helping to cement them into allying with the English"

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

This interview is astonishing. Full recording is in the tweet below.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thymetikon/status/1131702577878503425

(In fairness to Wolf, she reacts pretty well all things considered. Also it seems clear from the interview as a whole that the execution data isn't the core premise of the book. But still, this is bad.)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah that could have absolutely happened to me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

This interview is astonishing. Full recording is in the tweet below.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thymetikon/status/1131702577878503425

(In fairness to Wolf, she reacts pretty well all things considered. Also it seems clear from the interview as a whole that the execution data isn't the core premise of the book. But still, this is bad.)
I was mulling over whether to link that, but I concluded it would sound better coming from someone who was not on record as getting mad at the left. Was it here or religionthread where I said that all departments called "___studies" are worthless? Apparently this is based on the diss that got her a degree from Oxford.

Absolutely damning.

Edit: This is the same author who said 150,000 American women died every year from anorexia.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 24, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been listening to the old seasons of Revolutions again, and so often things wind down to a tragic end. Cromwell's waffling to the grave, Haiti's little genocide, Zapata's assassination, and Pancho Villa's steadily dwindling campaign of banditry. It can sometimes be hard to keep listening towards the end.

Right now I'm at the end of the South America season, and Simon Bolivar is just such a weird dork. He fought for a long, long time for independence, ditching any political responsibilities along the way, and after finishing off the Spanish, he comes back up enraged at all these politicians and demanding the right to be dictator of everything. He was good at leading armies against the spanish, not exactly good at anything else and especially bad at listening to people.

Revolutions started up again with a new season on the big Russian revolution. According to the first episode, Karl Marx was a diversity pick for the First International/International Workingmen's Association. Apparently, they couldn't find enough big-name German leftist revolutionaries for the St. Martin's Hall Meeting in London, and decided to settle for adding Karl Marx to the list.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

I was mulling over whether to link that, but I concluded it would sound better coming from someone who was not on record as getting mad at the left. Was it here or religionthread where I said that all departments called "___studies" are worthless? Apparently this is based on the diss that got her a degree from Oxford.

Absolutely damning.

Edit: This is the same author who said 150,000 American women died every year from anorexia.

What's the book about exactly?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

zoux posted:

What's the book about exactly?

John Addington Symonds and the use of the law to control sexuality in Victorian England.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/gcaw/status/518549774514286594

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't understand, why is she defending ISIS? I don't see what her angle is from her ideology.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

zoux posted:

I don't understand, why is she defending ISIS? I don't see what her angle is from her ideology.

The gist of her argument was basically that the threat of ISIS was manufactured/overblown by the US and UK to justify the governments suppressing civil liberty and justify high defense budgets.

From another Facebook post by her:

quote:

The US benefits from … us being SO drat SCARED so that our intelligence agencies can take away the last of our freedoms on behalf of corporate interests the way intelligence agencies in the West are doing all over ... Britain, Canada, Australia, next NZ ... so there you are.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 24, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

John Addington Symonds and the use of the law to control sexuality in Victorian England.
Namely, that 19th century feminism drew attention to mens' misdeeds and official homophobia developed to distract the public from the misdeeds of straight men

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

Namely, that 19th century feminism drew attention to mens' misdeeds and official homophobia developed to distract the public from the misdeeds of straight men

I admittedly know next to nothing about this subject (unless we're talking about the Royal Navy, and even then I can't say more than a couple sweeping, dubiously-informed generalizations) but... huh?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

Wasn't homosexuality criminalized and/or vilified long before the 19th century?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

It might've been, but the Victorians made everything related to sex and laws about sex worse.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I admittedly know next to nothing about this subject (unless we're talking about the Royal Navy, and even then I can't say more than a couple sweeping generalizations) but... huh?
ok, so, there is a fundamental confusion here on the part of the vast majority of people who talk like this.

there is a strain in leftist thought of describing historical facts/developments/tendencies/events in terms of what kind of effects they had, which is fair enough: "the effect of the development of surveillance procedures in the nineteenth century was the development of an ever-more-controlled populace" or whatever. (You see this in Foucault. The "geneaology" of whatever. Another variation of this is to talk about subconscious impulses.) Some people can talk like this without losing track of the fact that what they are talking about is also the result of a concatenation of circumstances, random unrelated bullshit, and various crap happening. That there was not one caause but many causes, not one effect but many effects. That history has no goal. In a word that it is not deliberate.

Some people can't. These people go from "One effect of X taking place was Y" to "X took place in order to bring Y about."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 25, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes. The last execution for buggery in England was in 1831. The confusion arises because the law stayed on the books until the 1860s, but nobody was executed under it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HEY GUNS posted:

Yes. The last execution for buggery in England was in 1831. The confusion arises because the law stayed on the books until the 1860s, but nobody was executed under it.

I mean, the whole thing sounds like it was a pain in the rear end, tbh?

:shrug:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Hey, not sure if this is the right thread to ask, and if not, sorry.

Is it possible I could I get a recommendation on a good book about the Wars of the Roses for a friend of mine? He's looking for something around the level of Tom Holland's earlier books (Rubicon, Persian Fire, Millennium) or something like "Horrible Histories for adults", so basically an informative book written by someone who knows what they're talking about, but not an ultra dry academic thing. He'd also prefer a British author if possible, but that's not a dealbreaker.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chucat posted:

Hey, not sure if this is the right thread to ask, and if not, sorry.

Is it possible I could I get a recommendation on a good book about the Wars of the Roses for a friend of mine? He's looking for something around the level of Tom Holland's earlier books (Rubicon, Persian Fire, Millennium) or something like "Horrible Histories for adults", so basically an informative book written by someone who knows what they're talking about, but not an ultra dry academic thing. He'd also prefer a British author if possible, but that's not a dealbreaker.

Dan Jones's War of the Roses book is quite good, so is his book about the Plantagenets.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Chucat posted:

He's looking for something around the level of Tom Holland's earlier books

I know it's not who you meant, but my mind immediately leapt to Spiderman.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

I'm not a fan of Naomi Wolf but I have lots of sympathy over someone getting tripped up by weird archaic language used by the English government because that's happened to me more times than I can count. A huge amount of their internal memoranda are nigh-incomprehensible without knowing a dozen specific departmental quirks and procedural traditions.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 25, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I'm not a fan of Naomi Wolf but I have lots of sympathy over someone getting tripped up by weird archaic language used by the English government because that's happened to me more times than I can count. A huge amount of their internal memoranda are nigh-incomprehensible without knowing a dozen specific departmental quirks and procedural traditions.
ok that's an excellent point

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

ok, so, there is a fundamental confusion here on the part of the vast majority of people who talk like this.

there is a strain in leftist thought of describing historical facts/developments/tendencies/events in terms of what kind of effects they had, which is fair enough: "the effect of the development of surveillance procedures in the nineteenth century was the development of an ever-more-controlled populace" or whatever. (You see this in Foucault. The "geneaology" of whatever. Another variation of this is to talk about subconscious impulses.) Some people can talk like this without losing track of the fact that what they are talking about is also the result of a concatenation of circumstances, random unrelated bullshit, and various crap happening. That there was not one caause but many causes, not one effect but many effects. That history has no goal. In a word that it is not deliberate.

Some people can't. These people go from "One effect of X taking place was Y" to "X took place in order to bring Y about."

The often ossifies into believing in a form of historical inevitability where abstract forces cause everything to happen in a methodical, preordained way, and ascribing any outcome to the product of an individual's decisions is just a manifestation of 'Great man theory'.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
When going through some old family crud we found a letter saying back to the civil war from one of our family members to another. There is also a diary in my dads house somewhere, too. They are cool but we don't know how to take care of them or if they even have any real historical value.

So two questions I guess, do these have historical value and is there a good place to contact that would be interested in them?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If I'm going out to bat in a cricket match, I should probably figure out what the LBW law is before I leave the pavilion.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

If I'm going out to bat in a cricket match, I should probably figure out what the LBW law is before I leave the pavilion.

by now my first assumption is yall are making these words up to gently caress with us, tbh

also cricket is just slow baseball in sweaters

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 25, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The English have bewitched the rules of cricket some how, I've read about it a million times but it just slides right out of my brain.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
According to wolf, what she's talking about specifically happened in 1857. New definitions were introduced which she alleges set off a mid-century gay panic
https://www.thebookseller.com/news/virago-acquires-new-naomi-wolf

https://twitter.com/Shaker_aphra/status/1132033286358872064

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 25, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh, absolutely, but I was just rewriting my doctorate thesis for publication today and I encountered a place where I'd totally misread one Admiral's orders in the same way she did so I had to completely change my next paragraph to account for it.

Also I only understand your cricket reference because of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

The English have bewitched the rules of cricket some how, I've read about it a million times but it just slides right out of my brain.

Every time cricket schadenfreude is posted in the Schadenfreude thread it's basically someone performing a move that looks completely normal from a spectator's standpoint and is likely legal but actually violates a strict rule of decorum, causing the spectators to erupt in anger for seemingly no reason and the player to be ostracized forever because they added a 5 degree spin to the ball while batting it with the edge out, giving an extra 2 seconds for them to knock over the 20th wicket and conquer Africa.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
edit: removed, good remark from bad source. Found the same info from a better person, and
https://twitter.com/arthur_affect/status/1131893541884481538

y i k e s

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 25, 2019

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Remember those "DRILL HERE" stickers for laptops? I told my father about those, and the more extreme desktop case of thermite on the HDD activated by a big red button. Dad was talking about how computers aren't secure these days, I mentioned those, he said "Yeah! Just like we taped thermite grenades to the tops of all the radios."

Some men just want to watch the world (or at least the classified parts of it) burn.

Also one of those radios with a thermite grenade duct-taped on top was on his back.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How many cannons could a ship full of sugar fetch during the Napoleonic wars? I'm trying to wrap my mind around the numbers of just how valuable it was as a cash crop and just why the french willing to lose so many men who'd be otherwise freed up to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
In the peace that followed the seven year’s war, France had to choose between all of the province of Quebec + their other bits of the North American continent that weren’t St. Pierre & Miquelon or the island of Guadeloupe. I’m gonna go ahead and assume sugar was loving valuable.