Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Yo Drastic Actions, just a heads up (as I finally had a look at your post-grid-css branch): CSS grid layout support landed in iOS 10.3, but we support back to iOS 9. By all means keep on it, but we'll either have to wait for the deployment target bump or find some other way to grid it up on iOS 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just for kicks, here are the devices that were dropped from ios 9 to 10

wikipedia posted:

With this release, Apple dropped support for devices with either an A5 or an A5X chip: the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation), iPad Mini (1st generation) and iPod Touch (5th generation).

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Sometimes the "always show sidebar on landscape ipad" feature loses its marbles.

I can reproduce this only some of the time, but this works pretty reliably:

1) start playing hearthstone or some other ram-gobbling game.
2) open awful in slideover mode and use it to read forums during other people's turns.
3) home button, switch to a third full screen app, don't use awful.
4) home button, tap awful itself, it goes into fullscreen landscape without sidebar, despite "always show sidebar on landscape ipad" turned on.

Toggling that setting always fixes it, but it looks like awful isn't getting the message to switch from iphone-view to ipad-view and stays in iphone-view despite being full screen on ipad.

Does any of that make sense? This is an ipad pro 9.7" on ios 12.2. I'll update to 12.3 on wifi tonight.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I don't know if a feature like this would be possible in the app, but in browsers if we use the following javascript as a bookmark it lets us strip away a bunch of content on a page and leave only the posts that contain external tweets, videos, images, and URLs:

This is super helpful for megathreads that get dozens of new pages each day. Is it possible to do something like this in the app as a kind of speed-reading mode?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Image uploading seems busted as of late. Not sure if it’s the app or the website’s doing though.

Edit: Also that preview loop bug seems to be getting more common lately as well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Warbird posted:

Image uploading seems busted as of late. Not sure if it’s the app or the website’s doing though.

Edit: Also that preview loop bug seems to be getting more common lately as well.

I had to uninstall then reinstall and it would work for a few hours.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think there's something about this particular thread that's causing it to render funny on the OLED theme. I can go into any other bookmarked thread, with new posts or no new posts and it looks as it should. This thread causes the bottom nav bar, top menu and read posts to look like the old school dark theme.

I don't know what's up and it doesn't even really matter. The app is still great and usable but it's weird and I can't think of what makes this one thread different.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kinda a dumb bug and not anything to worry about but when the iPhone XS Maxxxx is in landscape things get a little messed up.

Looks like it’s only threads with long titles doing it.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I’m on an iPhone SE 12.4 PB2 and occasionally get a weird text rendering bug that’s been happening for a few weeks. Nothing major and almost imperceptible. I skimmed a few pages and didn’t see anyone mention it.

https://imgur.com/a/wiH5MuT

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The bottom person just posted really loud

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

irpoweroutlet posted:

I’m on an iPhone SE 12.4 PB2 and occasionally get a weird text rendering bug that’s been happening for a few weeks. Nothing major and almost imperceptible. I skimmed a few pages and didn’t see anyone mention it.

I get this too from time to time on iPhone 6s+ 12.2.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Don’t fix it, that’s hilarious

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Reliable repro for the grey block thread

1. Tap on the link in this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836680&perpage=40&pagenumber=2011#post495386941
2. Tap parent forum

Boom, grey block

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I keep having an issue where a phantom private message appears in my inbox, I can delete it for a day or so even though when I do it it says it cannot be deleted, but then it will reappear the next day.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

C.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Feature request: occasionally you get idiots spamming up threads with post after post and even the ignore function just turns them into lots of blocks of ‘do you want to see this post?’ messages. On desktop a bit of userscript can totally invisibleify the posts / shitposters completely, seeing how Awful.app is just repainting the desktop it would be great to have a ‘Never see ignored users’ switch in the options panel.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Is there some way using the oled dark theme to have my posts show up in a notable way? Posts where someone quoted me have purple text which is great but for various reasons it would be cool if I could have an option to make my posts stand out a bit more.

My posting is so good I like to read it over and over you see.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can I please have an option to make specialshortbus's posts less obvious? They are very bad and I would like to skip them but not ignore him.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xarph posted:

Sometimes the "always show sidebar on landscape ipad" feature loses its marbles.

I can reproduce this only some of the time, but this works pretty reliably:

1) start playing hearthstone or some other ram-gobbling game.
2) open awful in slideover mode and use it to read forums during other people's turns.
3) home button, switch to a third full screen app, don't use awful.
4) home button, tap awful itself, it goes into fullscreen landscape without sidebar, despite "always show sidebar on landscape ipad" turned on.

Toggling that setting always fixes it, but it looks like awful isn't getting the message to switch from iphone-view to ipad-view and stays in iphone-view despite being full screen on ipad.

Does any of that make sense? This is an ipad pro 9.7" on ios 12.2. I'll update to 12.3 on wifi tonight.

Makes sense, and thanks for the reproduction steps and workaround! I’ll add it to the list.

LentThem posted:

I don't know if a feature like this would be possible in the app, but in browsers if we use the following javascript as a bookmark it lets us strip away a bunch of content on a page and leave only the posts that contain external tweets, videos, images, and URLs:

This is super helpful for megathreads that get dozens of new pages each day. Is it possible to do something like this in the app as a kind of speed-reading mode?

Definitely possible! I’ll add it to the list.

Warbird posted:

The next version shows actually useful error messages during image uploads, so if you’re still seeing the problem then we’ll be much more able to figure out what’s going on.

Sorry about the preview loop, I’ll +1 it on the list.

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think there's something about this particular thread that's causing it to render funny on the OLED theme. I can go into any other bookmarked thread, with new posts or no new posts and it looks as it should. This thread causes the bottom nav bar, top menu and read posts to look like the old school dark theme.

I don't know what's up and it doesn't even really matter. The app is still great and usable but it's weird and I can't think of what makes this one thread different.

There’s an issue with the theming when you come back to Awful after awhile and it’s been kicked out of memory, any chance that’s related? Do the bars get themed appropriately if you go to other threads and then come back to this one?

MarcusSA posted:

Kinda a dumb bug and not anything to worry about but when the iPhone XS Maxxxx is in landscape things get a little messed up.

Looks like it’s only threads with long titles doing it.

Yeah that’s not right! I think I might know what’s going on though. Added to the list!

irpoweroutlet posted:

Jigsaw posted:

I get this too from time to time on iPhone 6s+ 12.2.

Weird indeed! I have a hunch about what might be going on. I might be seeing something similar when first loading a thread of posts, but then it goes away as soon as I scroll anywhere.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Reliable repro for the grey block thread

1. Tap on the link in this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836680&perpage=40&pagenumber=2011#post495386941
2. Tap parent forum

Boom, grey block

Which grey block is this? (I admit it’s kinda sad I have to ask which grey block issue this is related to.) I tried this on my iPad but didn’t see no grey.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I keep having an issue where a phantom private message appears in my inbox, I can delete it for a day or so even though when I do it it says it cannot be deleted, but then it will reappear the next day.

That sounds annoying. Does it appear on the Forums site too? If not, you can probably clear it by logging out and back in. (The app might crash when you log back in, but opening it again should be fine.) I’ll add it to the list, because it shouldn’t be happening, but let me know if that helps.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Feature request: occasionally you get idiots spamming up threads with post after post and even the ignore function just turns them into lots of blocks of ‘do you want to see this post?’ messages. On desktop a bit of userscript can totally invisibleify the posts / shitposters completely, seeing how Awful.app is just repainting the desktop it would be great to have a ‘Never see ignored users’ switch in the options panel.

Makes sense to me. I think someone around here has done some mockups in the past that involved less intrusive ignored posts, and possibly also coalescing consecutive ignored posts. I feel like that might help too?

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there some way using the oled dark theme to have my posts show up in a notable way? Posts where someone quoted me have purple text which is great but for various reasons it would be cool if I could have an option to make my posts stand out a bit more.

My posting is so good I like to read it over and over you see.

Sounds doable. Wonder if it’d also help when mods go to edit a post, might be nice to have another indication that it’s their own post.

Is it only an issue for you on the OLED Dark theme? Any sense of why it doesn’t come up on other themes?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Can I please have an option to make specialshortbus's posts less obvious? They are very bad and I would like to skip them but not ignore him.

That specialshortbus sounds like a terrible poster. I'd hate to see their posts too.

pokeyman posted:

Sounds doable. Wonder if it’d also help when mods go to edit a post, might be nice to have another indication that it’s their own post.

Is it only an issue for you on the OLED Dark theme? Any sense of why it doesn’t come up on other themes?

Nothing specific to OLED, I just checked a couple others. I just happen to be on that theme and thought it worth mentioning I guess. I just want my posts more identifiable for various reasons. It's not super important, but sometimes it helps me judge how fast a thread has moved or whatever other reason.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Nothing specific to OLED, I just checked a couple others. I just happen to be on that theme and thought it worth mentioning I guess. I just want my posts more identifiable for various reasons. It's not super important, but sometimes it helps me judge how fast a thread has moved or whatever other reason.

Fair enough! I wanted to ask because the answer would be useful input when figuring out how to identify one's own posts.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

Which grey block is this? (I admit it’s kinda sad I have to ask which grey block issue this is related to.) I tried this on my iPad but didn’t see no grey.

Dis one

iPhone XS btw. This one smells like it just might be device-dependent

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Fair enough! I wanted to ask because the answer would be useful input when figuring out how to identify one's own posts.

Quick thoughts on this:

I don't generally like to start comparisons between the two, but as an example, Awful app for android turns the background on your posts green. Garish, but very effective. Would probably want it a lot less garish in the iOS app I'd think if the background color were to be changed.

Otherwise, the purple font color done for posts where you're quoted is pretty good. Maybe something like that except a slightly different color for the font itself rather than the background?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What if we made the user’s name be in the mention colour?

E: that sounds dumb, but I mean their username in the header. maybe still dumb, but a bit clearer.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I’m thinking username highlighted with a purple bag maybe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think a very large tag reading "BAD POST" would be a good way to let you know it's your post.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the app should just permaban you if you post from it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So whenever I try to go I to Goons With Spoons on the app, it takes me to Crackhead Clubhouse instead. Is this happening with anyone else?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

10 Beers posted:

So whenever I try to go I to Goons With Spoons on the app, it takes me to Crackhead Clubhouse instead. Is this happening with anyone else?

Not a bug. Goons with Spoons was renamed "The Sub Forum" and Crackhead Clubhouse was renamed "Goons with Spoons".

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Not a bug. Goons with Spoons was renamed "The Sub Forum" and Crackhead Clubhouse was renamed "Goons with Spoons".

That's almost disgustingly clever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Regular Nintendo posted:

Dis one

iPhone XS btw. This one smells like it just might be device-dependent

I also have an XS and this happens occasionally.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
For some reason I can't see the clock at the top of the app anymore. Am I stupid? It looks like the last update was 4 weeks ago but I just noticed this now.

e: nvm it's happening in all my apps

prom candy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 4, 2019

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Diabolik900 posted:

Ahh, thanks!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

These wacky SA forums! Always keeping you on your toes!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Diabolik900 posted:

:sbahj:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Here’s another video of the weird behavior on iOS after the app was closed in the background. Note that swipe gestures are broken until loading the awful thread. Going into settings and loading this thread is the only thing that fixes the grey bars, swiping, and weird transparent status bar. It however messes up the bottom icons and leaves almost no touch target. XS Max, 12.3.1.

https://gfycat.com/jovialcomplicateddobermanpinscher

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I consistently get a grey bar if I go back to my bookmarks and then swipe from the right to go back to the thread I was just in

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I’m trying out Disconnect’s Privacy Pro app, which uses the VPN function to block out trackers it has deemed bad. It seems like when I use Awful, it logs a lot of blocked attempts to “crashlytics”. Is this the app doing that or a coincidence? Could you remove that?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Imgur upload through the app is busted. I get an error message that I’ve just realized I need to try to upload to double check so if this goes through then whoops

Ok it didn’t.

File type invalid. ImgurException code 1003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Craptacular! posted:

I’m trying out Disconnect’s Privacy Pro app, which uses the VPN function to block out trackers it has deemed bad. It seems like when I use Awful, it logs a lot of blocked attempts to “crashlytics”. Is this the app doing that or a coincidence? Could you remove that?

Crashlytics is primarily used to diagnose/triage crashes, I'd recommend whitelisting it

Removal would mean a much worse app for everyone