Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Been revisiting Garth Marenghi's Darkplace lately and I have no regrets (regarding my viewing options, at least).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdz2lgWtcjs

"Jesus christ!"

Such a good show, so far ahead of it's own genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Been revisiting Garth Marenghi's Darkplace lately and I have no regrets (regarding my viewing options, at least).

This show is a legit masterpiece that doesn't get mentioned more often. I really need to watch The IT Crowd because it has two of the actors from it, Matt Berry and Richard Ayoade. Btw is What We do In The Shadows any good? That also has Matt Berry who was amazing in Darkplace.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
WWDITS is awesome!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ulio posted:

This show is a legit masterpiece that doesn't get mentioned more often. I really need to watch The IT Crowd because it has two of the actors from it, Matt Berry and Richard Ayoade. Btw is What We do In The Shadows any good? That also has Matt Berry who was amazing in Darkplace.

the OGNZ version is good, i haven't watched the new one.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Fleabag season 2

I love this show so loving much

It is astonishingly good

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Yeah, the What We Do in the Shadows TV series is really great. Highly suggested.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I believe Fleabag season 1 and 2 are now on Amazon Prime in the US, and it's excellent.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I am watching Barry, season 2. I just finished episode 5.

I... I have never seen anything like this. It is so hard to put it into any one category - much like the whole show, really, it just... presses ALL the buttons. At once.

This is the first time watching a tv series where at the end of an episode, my immediate impulse was to rewatch that same episode. I am going to let it sink in a little before I watch the rest.

edit: finished it. Meticulously crafted, the whole thing. Very impressive. Very refreshing after binging the final season of The Big Bang Theory, which only left me with the same feeling I had after the GoT finale: well, it's good that that's over.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 24, 2019

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yup. Your reaction sounds right for that episode.
I have 3 episodes left and am gonna finish tonight!

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Is that one "ronny/lily?"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, Barry S02E05 is a nicely done digression into surrealism. I wonder if they were inspired by something like Twin Peaks or Atlanta.

edit: P.S. Twin Peaks and Atlanta are good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, Barry S02E05 is a nicely done digression into surrealism.

You know, I initially had a slightly negative response to that episode because it just seemed out of character for the show - more slapsticky and less grounded in character than most of Barry. I watched it a second time, though, and liked it a lot better; after getting over the sort of tonal shift from the rest of the show I really enjoyed it on its own merits.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I enjoyed the episode. Though I do agree it is a bit of a harsh tonal shift. Also I don't really understand why it showed Fuches hitting the police car near the end but then nothing comes of it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

101 posted:

I enjoyed the episode. Though I do agree it is a bit of a harsh tonal shift. Also I don't really understand why it showed Fuches hitting the police car near the end but then nothing comes of it

there is no reason to think any of this, but I imagine it was one of those things where the cop has to prioritize his BROTHERS IN BLUE being in danger with the kung fu guy, so they yell as Fuches to not go anywhere, get out of his vehicle, they'll deal with him in a moment. Fully intending to go back and ticket him afterward but he just drove away while the cops were distracted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But yeah, why show it at all??

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I thought that was the detective's car, the one blackmailing Barry.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

You know, I initially had a slightly negative response to that episode because it just seemed out of character for the show - more slapsticky and less grounded in character than most of Barry. I watched it a second time, though, and liked it a lot better; after getting over the sort of tonal shift from the rest of the show I really enjoyed it on its own merits.

Once Barry said "She is not of this world" or words to that effect, I just rolled with it. A lot of the episode fits with the nightmare theme, and I took a lot of it as Barry's darkness bleeding out into the world.

Accretionist posted:

I thought that was the detective's car, the one blackmailing Barry.

That was my thought, but afterwards I figured he would not be driving a squad car, would he? Well, I suppose he could be. We could also surmise that the cop ascertained Fuches was glued to the wheel and therefore not going anywhere, and the violent disturbance was the more pressing matter. It's a small thing that, in the end, did not bother me. The swift pace, which allows to gloss over little things, is one of the show's strengths, I think.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm 5 episodes into Star Trek Discovery and I'm liking it. I've tried to make it past the first episode many times but I always got frustrated by the slow-as-gently caress Klingon dialogue. But I'm powering through the boring Klingon speeches and it's ok so far. It's no The Expanse but I'm a junkie and need my syfy fix.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Watch Farscape instead.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm 5 episodes into Star Trek Discovery and I'm liking it. I've tried to make it past the first episode many times but I always got frustrated by the slow-as-gently caress Klingon dialogue. But I'm powering through the boring Klingon speeches and it's ok so far. It's no The Expanse but I'm a junkie and need my syfy fix.

Season 2 has minimal Klingons and maximum stupid sexy spock.

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude
Binging Banshee. This show is so ridiculous and I'm completely okay with that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the first 3 episodes of The Punisher: S2 could have been in Banshee, PA including ridiculous local nazis/jesus freak gangsters, police station/motel sieges and bar and bathroom fights.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keyser_Soze posted:

the first 3 episodes of The Punisher: S2 could have been in Banshee, PA including ridiculous local nazis/jesus freak gangsters, police station/motel sieges and bar and bathroom fights.

I'm convinced Anthony Starr would have made a great Frank Castle.

But even better, he's playing The Homelander in The Boys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD46c08MsHg

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 25, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He has a dent in his forehead. He rules.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Just finished S3 of Sneaky Pete on Amazon. Good show, and much better than S2, which was a bit of a letdown. Definitely worth checking out if you enjoy Leverage, Hustle, or Justified.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Finished Doom Patrol. Good in places, somewhat underwhelming as a whole. It walked the tight rope between goofy and substantial for quite a while, but after Doom Patrol Patrol up until the last two episodes I honestly was enduring it more than enjoying it. I feel like they could have cut quite a bit and done more with the antagonist. Dalton and Fraser were a treat, though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meatgrinder posted:

Finished Doom Patrol. Good in places, somewhat underwhelming as a whole. It walked the tight rope between goofy and substantial for quite a while, but after Doom Patrol Patrol up until the last two episodes I honestly was enduring it more than enjoying it. I feel like they could have cut quite a bit and done more with the antagonist. Dalton and Fraser were a treat, though.

April Bowlby was the standout actress though, in more ways than one.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

April Bowlby was the standout actress though, in more ways than one.

Agreed! I also liked the irony in casting her as an actress obsessed with physical appearance, much like they got Fraser as a star in his industry who goes awol for decades after an accident.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Just watched 8 episodes straight of Hanna. The show is good, I liked it. I think it struck a good balance between the action stuff and the coming of age stuff.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I finally sat down and watched the final season of New Girl. As someone who related way too much to Nick Miller I was happy to see him overcome his insecurities and grow as a person, something I am still trying to figure out in my mid-30s. Shows like New Girl and Community have been really important to me as I've experienced my 20s. At their core they're about the families you find when leave home and learning that those relationships might not last forever but that's okay, because those relationships are still important and the healthy thing to do is realize that and be okay moving on. It's a realization that has made parts of my life a lot easier to let go of and move past, because ultimately that's all we really can do.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ulio posted:

I'll let my boy Matt Berry answer this question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYY8m1Lb2I

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've been rewatching the HBO Spawn series and man, this honestly holds up. It's not a perfect series, but when it's not going Full Edgy, the writing's actually pretty good, and the animation is loving gorgeous.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Binged my way through The Expanse over the last few days. Scratched that itch that I've had since I finished DS9 last year.

Any other sci-fi series that I should check out (other than BSG, which I'm currently re-watching)?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Have you seen B5? I'm just finishing it now and I think it holds up well although it would benefit from a CGI re-render and the seasons feel too long but it has several excellent story arcs and 2 of the best characters of any scifi series.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

wormil posted:

Have you seen B5? I'm just finishing it now and I think it holds up well although it would benefit from a CGI re-render and the seasons feel too long but it has several excellent story arcs and 2 of the best characters of any scifi series.

I have not. That one should be next!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've been rewatching the HBO Spawn series and man, this honestly holds up. It's not a perfect series, but when it's not going Full Edgy, the writing's actually pretty good, and the animation is loving gorgeous.

I remember watching this like ten years ago and was shocked at how good it was. It was arguably HBO's first "HBO quality" series, and was probably the only successful action non-comedy animated series for adults until Castlevania.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The intros by Todd McFarlane were stupid on day one though

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I'm on the second to last episode of The Office. I never watched it during it's initial run.....but I understand why it's such a well loved show. And the hatred for the last two seasons was really overblown. I get that Steve Carell leaving the show was a disappointment for fans......but I think the writing did not take a dip in quality. And was Robert California really that terrible of a character? He didn't even get THAT much screen time. I thought that Andy telling him off when he made his "winners" and "losers" list was definitely one of the best scenes of the entire series.....because all he could respond with was "I did not know those things.

Anyways.....good show. Glad I got around to it. I think Veep may be next on my list now that it's wrapped up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mu Zeta posted:

The intros by Todd McFarlane were stupid on day one though

Luckily I was able to skip those upon my viewing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Robert California was one of the only great things in later season Office.

I'M THE loving LIZARD KING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm thinking about starting Braquo, which from what I can tell is basically French The Shield. Anyone else bothered with it? It's on Hulu.