Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
FROM THE DESK OF K. VORCHUN
CHIEF DESIGNER, BALTIC YARDS
SANKT-PETERBURG

With tensions in the East rising it would be prudent to increase our presence there. Covering all our responsibilities will likely require more tonnage, of course, which we would be happy to provide for.

Yea to Far Eastern, Cronyism, and FIRE
Nay to Raider

E: updated to be clearer

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Infidelicious posted:

I think an option had to be seconded to move forward.

Oh right, I'd have seconded something then

I was waiting for voting to open in case we only got one vote or something.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Infidelicious posted:

I think an option had to be seconded to move forward.

This

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Grey Hunter posted:

Voting
Aye/Nay on each of these acts please. if multiple pass, I shall order them in order of the highest margin of victory.

Vitse-admiral Bacarrudsky ... votes (what is this European nonsense? Voting? Are we French?) for the following measures:

Yea! Raider Act of 1901

Yea! FIRE for effect Act

Nay! Transparent Cronyism Act of 1901 - we have no money for battleships if we begin a cruiser program. Thanks to BuOrds decision not to develop good guns, our battleship program is doomed to be badly-armed.

Nay! Far Eastern Readiness Act - France is our true enemy. Not Japan. The French are decadent and believe in so-called "liberties" that are totally against the Tsarist autocracy all true Russians must support. We spit on their so-called "liberté, égalité, fraternité."

I strongly encourage those who wish to join the Molodaya Shkola Jeune Ecole and support the improvement of cruisers and torpedo warships to vote with us!

France must pay!

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 24, 2019

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Thus no treaty act this election.

Hmmmm.

Nay to Raider
Nay to Fire For Effect
Yea to Cronyism
Yea to Far East Act

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

In other news FNG 3rd edition just hit, so is there anyone who wants to do a tour in 'nam?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Grey Hunter posted:

In other news FNG 3rd edition just hit, so is there anyone who wants to do a tour in 'nam?

Oh yes. Maybe I'll live more than 30 seconds this time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I edited my post above so my voting is clearer

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
First patch for RTW 2 has been released:

RTW2 v1.01 posted:

The following are the fixes/changes made for the 1.01 update:
Aircraft maintenance cost in main screen will now update when a squadron is added or disbanded in the air groups screen.
Fixed unreachable invasion target at Rhodes.
Sunk ships will no longer repair aircraft.
Fixed a bug with display of hangar side armour.
Fixed display of ship speed in nation data ship lists.
Slightly increased ready and spotting times of aircraft
Stopped some erratic course changes at start of battle.
Prevented building of airbases in the base overview screen until airbases are invented.
Map flags are now updated when a nation changes government type.
Removed automatic scrapping of old Corvettes.
The design board of the AI nations now also demand guns on their first carrier.
Misidentified ships will now not be revealed in the ship data card.
If twin DP guns is invented, then basic DP guns will be unlocked as well.
Fixed a bug with CL sometimes being built with features ahead of their time by the AI in a 1900 start.
If the first carrier is below 20000 tons, the design board will only demand 6 in guns.
Fixed a bug with torpedo hits not being credited to air formations.
Prevented bulging of ships below 2500 tons.
Fixed erroneous hints in rebel support event.
Added text in battle map if weather prevents floatplane or air ops.
The eccentric scientist will now be less eccentric, i.e. he will not invent things in tech areas that are not even known.
When aircraft prototypes are offered, only the three latest non-obsolete types of the same role will be shown for comparison.
Fixed an error in in CheckDarknessApproachingBase procedure.
Surprised airbases will not launch strikes, not even at other airbases.
No reminder about air group for museum ships.
Cancelling invasion target will not change ASW or submarine policy display.

Patch is downloadable from the forums.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yep. It shouldn’t break the save but AI navies probably have some light cruisers they shouldn’t, since they’ve had this first year of building them with that bug active.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
After consulting with my backers, I am compelled to throw my support behind the Raider Act willingly and the Far Eastern Readiness Act at swordpoint.

As an aside I would like to remind the other members of the nobility that I am amenable to reasonable bribes, and sending thugs with sharp metal is not necessary to secure my support.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Votes (in order of Grey's summary post)

Yea Yea Nay Nay

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Nay, Aye, Aye, Aye

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Grey Hunter posted:

Oh gently caress yeah.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Aye, Aye, Nay, Nay

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Aye
Aye
Nay
Nay
No point in buying expensive toys that will blow up ineffectually the moment they enter combat. Give us cheap toys that will blow up ineffectually the moment they enter combat!

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
Nay
Aye
Aye
Nay

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Grey Hunter posted:

The idea of doing an Unconventional Warfare scenario with six special forces goons up against the forum jointly commanding an NVA unit sounds very, very fun....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

tanglewood1420 posted:

The idea of doing an Unconventional Warfare scenario with six special forces goons up against the forum jointly commanding an NVA unit sounds very, very fun....

Yeah, I need to actually get the rules, but the NVA side will make this amazing. the NVA would be more ad-hoc than the US, but would be a good place for the dead to go and remain active.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Nay, Aye, Aye, Aye

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Nay
Aye
Nay
Aye

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
FIRE for effect Act: Aye
Transparent Cronyism Act of 1901: Abstain
Far Eastern Readiness Act: Abstain
Any other act, Nay.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Nay, Abstain, Aye, and Aye

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
As a humble peasant who farms turnips for his feudal lord, I shall abstain on all votes. I have never seen an ocean, nor shall I, as my lord has repeatedly refused my requests to travel abroad. I’m not sure the ocean is real.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Raider Act of 1901 : Ayes =6 Nays = 8 Fails!
FIRE for effect Act : Ayes= 11 Nays = 1 Passes!
Transparent Cronyism Act of 1901 : Ayes = 7 Nays = 5 Passes!
Far Eastern Readiness Act : Ayes = 7 Nays = 6 Passes!

As there is only one ship that needs building - we now have a design contest! We need to build one battleship of a novel design in a local yard.

Design companies, here is the save, can I have your designs in ASAP so we can vote on those.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kmi0pa65zkcvgha/AAADcAoppsNhSI-9n4IUId6Ya?dl=0

We'll see how this format works, it may be a bit slow, and I may need to cut the votes down to just the ships!

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
In the spirit of the act, I hereby present my wholly original and in no way derivative design, Proyekt 41501:

Not shown in that picture are the two torpedo launchers, in positions 6 and 7 respectively.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
These turrets are an accident waiting to happen. Mounting guns directly into the hull was good enough for our ancestors, it's good enough for us.

The Vodka class battleship relies on tried and true technologies instead of newfangled gizmos that will clearly just be passing fads. It makes up for the limited firing angles with lots of guns, meaning it can fire in every direction and performs best when completely surrounded by enemies.

(Disclaimer: I don't think ships in RTW can shoot at multiple targets)

Here is an artist's rendition of what the ship will look like when completed:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can only engage one ship at a time with your primary armament but your secondaries can engage 2–one on each side. Design to follow when I get back to my computer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bremen posted:

These turrets are an accident waiting to happen. Mounting guns directly into the hull was good enough for our ancestors, it's good enough for us.

The Vodka class battleship relies on tried and true technologies instead of newfangled gizmos that will clearly just be passing fads. It makes up for the limited firing angles with lots of guns, meaning it can fire in every direction and performs best when completely surrounded by enemies.

Zero guns per turret seems like, uh, less of a bristling menace and more like a ship with very securely armored lookout stations placed weirdly low on the deck.

Nevertheless, bureau of ordnance praises the design for it's thrifty approach towards reserving very expensive 10" gun barrels.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Zero guns per turret seems like, uh, less of a bristling menace and more like a ship with very securely armored lookout stations placed weirdly low on the deck.

Nevertheless, bureau of ordnance praises the design for it's thrifty approach towards reserving very expensive 10" gun barrels.

That's just how the game represents guns not mounted in turrets. It does in fact have 4 10in guns mounted in casemates.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thank you for informing the bureau of ordnance of this important oversight in gun barrel inventory tracking. As a token of the bureau's appreciation, please accept this voucher for 3% off your next requisition of any official imperial Russian navy uniform socks, one (1) pair, blue, wool, size extra small.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bremen posted:

(Disclaimer: I don't think ships in RTW can shoot at multiple targets)

Here is an artist's rendition of what the ship will look like when completed:

Now do this but with casemate primaries all along the sides so we can unleash a true broadside on our enemies :getin:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Now do this but with casemate primaries all along the sides so we can unleash a true broadside on our enemies :getin:

Sadly we do not possess the technology for side mounted primaries (yet).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bremen posted:

In that case, the only solution is to increase the secondary batteries to 9" guns! Like 17th-century ships of the line, our battleship will have a few powerful guns aiming forward and back, but will be able to unleash an even more devastating broadside when the two battle lines meet.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Bremen posted:

Also we can't use casemates for guns bigger than 10", which is why the Proyekt 41501 with its 12" guns is clearly much better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Projeckt 41501 has a Gunscore of 168. The Vodka class has a Gunscore of 152. As such I support the adoption of Projekt 41501.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

In that case, the only solution is to increase the secondary batteries to 9" guns! Like 17th-century ships of the line, our battleship will have a few powerful guns aiming forward and back, but will be able to unleash an even more devastating broadside when the two battle lines meet.

We don't have that tech either. We're tech limited to 6" or 7" secondaries, I forget.

(having a design contest in January of year 1 is somewhat limiting our options).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao god damnit our ship design knowledge has regressed from the 1600s.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
FROM THE DESK OF K. VORCHUN
CHIEF DESIGNER, BALTIC YARDS
SANKT-PETERBURG

Let us take a moment to consider the role a new battleship is meant for. The Imperial Japanese Navy has at present two battleships comparable to our Imperator Petr Veliki class. If we envision a future conflict with these upstarts, we will be competing with them in the Pacific, near our own far east, or in the waters around Port Arthur. In either case we are speaking of a littoral ship. We at the Baltic Yards present to the Admiralty the Vladivostok class.

The ship is protected against the largest naval guns in the world and then some. It carries four twelve-inch guns in double turrets fore and aft, but perhaps more importantly it has a broadside of seven 175mm quick-firing guns, capable of engaging targets to each side of the vessel. This secondary armament greatly exceeds the broadside throw-weight of competing vessels. In addition to this, you will find two torpedo tubes on each side. I believe these weapons will allow it to dominate close-range encounters. The ship rides low in the water, making it a more difficult target and saving tonnage and therefore cost. Further tonnage has been saved by emphasizing lightness in its propulsion systems and by insisting that all engineering spaces and storage rooms double as bunkrooms. This sense of frugality allows the ship to be much cheaper than our current battleship models while making no sacrifices when it comes to offensive power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

If there is one lesson to be taken from recent naval engagements involving these new iron beasts, it is this- armour beats artillery. Even our cruisers carry enough armour plate to withstand hits from common battleship class rifles at long range. Until such a time as armour-piercing technology doubles in effectiveness, we cannot rely on guns to sink enemy ships. At the same time, our likely enemies will be tied to the same restrictions.

The following design makes use of these limitations. The pair of single 12-inch rifles are more designed to return fire from other battleships, which at long range is highly ineffective even if a full complement of 4 total are taken. The weight saved is used on additional 6 and 4 inch rifles, with the goal of providing greater fire against lighter, killable ships, and an overall greater volume of explosive fire against the more exposed superstructure. While our guns might not sink enemy battleships, we can still ruin their unarmoured sections and force them to withdraw. Should the opportunity for a killing blow be opened, be it by damaging their controls or scoring a direct hit on the bridge, the numerous torpedo tubes can be used to sink the crippled ship. Tubes will cover all angles, allowing for opportunity launches to occur without dramatic heading changes.

At the same time, armour plate has been provided for overall* protection against anything but the heaviest of enemy rifles, and then only at close range.

*Well, not from attacks from above. Stay away from bridges.

This is also a budget design. I did have another budget design that was even more economical, but

:argh: