Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I bought a T150 Pro in lieu of digging out my G29. Does anyone else have one and do you experience overly sensitive brake pedal? Also any tips to make the pedals not slide on carpet? G29 had a nice retractable spike strip to grip the pile.

E: Also, is there a good way to have a virtual monitor with a VR headset for Dirt 2? with the makeshift setup here, I'd have to run a super low FOV. I'd love to have a way to simulate a 40" monitor or whatever with the VR headset.

carticket fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr. Powers posted:

So, I bought a T150 Pro in lieu of digging out my G29. Does anyone else have one and do you experience overly sensitive brake pedal? Also any tips to make the pedals not slide on carpet? G29 had a nice retractable spike strip to grip the pile.

E: Also, is there a good way to have a virtual monitor with a VR headset for Dirt 2? with the makeshift setup here, I'd have to run a super low FOV. I'd love to have a way to simulate a 40" monitor or whatever with the VR headset.

There’s a paid app called Virtual Desktop that works ok, and there’s BigScreen which is free but games don’t seem to run as well with it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Reiza are announcing their new thing tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/ReizaStudios/status/1131660799112556546?s=19

E: There's a new dev update from them as well. Seems they're having licensing issues with what they intended as the last AMS DLC so are pulling that, but instead will be adding Donington and Snetterton. Also adding Imola to the Reiza DLC for rF2.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 24, 2019

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I was having all sorts of issues trying to play dirt rally 2 today. Would either not connect to racenet, time out, claim my championship state was invalid, and in general be really slow. Ended up connecting via a VPN and all the issues went away. Something must have been screwey with routing between here (Australia) and their server (eu somewhere). Just FYI if someone else is in the same boat.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gently caress yeah Automobilista 2 is actually official at last. Using the Madness Engine which is a surprise, and what looks like a proper dynamic weather system. Video description says McLaren and BMW licenses (hence Senna's McLaren) and yes it'll have loving VR support.

I am excited and I need a wheel again.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Looks hella dope. If this means Stadium Super Trucks in VR, then I will be a happy camper.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Granite Octopus posted:

I was having all sorts of issues trying to play dirt rally 2 today. Would either not connect to racenet, time out, claim my championship state was invalid, and in general be really slow. Ended up connecting via a VPN and all the issues went away. Something must have been screwey with routing between here (Australia) and their server (eu somewhere). Just FYI if someone else is in the same boat.

DR2 is on sale today, might be an influx of new players. Racenet works ok for me, but yeah it's slow. It's frustrating if you don't live anywhere close to the servers.

I really hope this 50% discount isn't a sign that Dirt is having trouble with sales. Really love the series and would hate to see CM stop supporting or producing more content for DR2.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shine posted:

Looks hella dope. If this means Stadium Super Trucks in VR, then I will be a happy camper.

Stadium Super Trucks is the most pure racing series. Fight me :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

iospace posted:

Stadium Super Trucks is the most pure racing series. Fight me :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQb1cuyxnV0

I was at turn 1

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is Germany not included in the season pass for dr2? I got everything else for free so far but it's showing up as something to buy on the Xbox store.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The best thing about SST is demonstrated at 1:46 where they just straight line the corners because gently caress COTA

iRacing gets these soon, Stadium Super Trucks are surely just around the corner.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The Samsung Odyssey+ is currently on sale for $299. If you want to get into VR for your sim racing this is a good headset and a good price.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I saw this on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyIcL5OGlhA

Onboard lap of Indy with Mario Andretti in 1966.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know if someone has rigged up the Fanatec Clubsport damper to work on CSL Elite pedals? I have a line on a cheap damper

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone know if someone has rigged up the Fanatec Clubsport damper to work on CSL Elite pedals? I have a line on a cheap damper

Well I decided to bite the bullet regardless. Say what you will about Facebook, but Marketplace is a goldmine sometimes.

Got both of those for $80. My intention is to see if I can get the damper working on the throttle pedal. I already have a set of CSL Elite pedals with the load cell, so this set would be sacrificial to make the damper rig.

The damper base at least is only a bit of drilling away from working out of the box

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Why not just use the clutch pedal with its stiffer spring as the throttle?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because until you just said that, I didnt know that the clutch was stiffer, and because this is way cooler :colbert:

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Yeah the clutch spring is way stiffer than the throttle, the pedals function exactly the same so you can just swap them over in the little controller box.

I barely use my clutch so the last time I had the pedals off the rig i swapped them over. The spring in the clutch can get squeaky after a few weeks though so it needs lubed.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Trip report: I got a Clubsport v2.5 yesterday. Have used a T500RS for the past 5 years. When I took some of my favourite cars for a spin with the new wheel it felt like putting on new and expensive headphones and listening to some of my favourite songs while smoking weed. Suddenly soooo much depth and nuances and transcendent profoundness.

So yeah, this wheel is friggin' dope, man!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because until you just said that, I didnt know that the clutch was stiffer, and because this is way cooler :colbert:

If it's anything like the clutch from the CSP, it won't work at all as a throttle, as it tries to simulate some kind of bite point and is far away from beeing linear.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Trip report: I got a Clubsport v2.5 yesterday. Have used a T500RS for the past 5 years. When I took some of my favourite cars for a spin with the new wheel it felt like putting on new and expensive headphones and listening to some of my favourite songs while smoking weed. Suddenly soooo much depth and nuances and transcendent profoundness.

https://youtu.be/c9TrOL3xa80

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I also got a clubsport 2.5. Such an upgrade over the old G27. I feel like this thing can rip my hands off if I’m not careful. Maybe I should source some gloves.

I opted for the Mclaren GT3 rim, which is supposedly a bit buggy. Hopefully nothing crops up.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I just found my old G25 in my parents attic but I've lost the power adapter. Is it worth finding a power brick and setting it up again or is the G25 now a trash wheel for garbage babies?

I've not been serious into sims since like 2010 or 2011, but I want to take it up again.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

MustardFacial posted:

I just found my old G25 in my parents attic but I've lost the power adapter. Is it worth finding a power brick and setting it up again or is the G25 now a trash wheel for garbage babies?

I've not been serious into sims since like 2010 or 2011, but I want to take it up again.

A power adapter is a fraction of the cost of a fancy new setup so I think it would be a fine starting point if you are just getting back into it.

I use a G25 for dirt rally and find it very needs-suiting, but I've never used anything better so maybe I am, in fact, the garbage baby?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

G25 is still worthy. It's coggy and loud, but still plenty good. I think I've had mine for over 10 years now. Certainly better to find a power adapter and decide if you still give a poo poo about sims before dropping $300+ on something new.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 13, 2019

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I still use my G25 for Karts because nothing comes close to a clanky experience, it's top fun.
Also for arcade stuff, it's the nearest I have ever had to a wheel off an old arcade cabinet, it's awesome for that stuff, I won't get rid of it even though I have a 'better' wheel. It does a specific thing really really well and is also a great wheel in its own right anyway.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Trip report part 2: Have had my new Clubsport wheel for only two weeks now. It already has an issue where the steering wheel loses connection every time I turn left of center. Paddle shifters stop working and the LED display goes blank until I turn right again. And I specifically avoided getting that McLaren wheel which is apparently afflicted by some gypsy curse. I have the BMW wheel, but I suppose the issue is with the wheel base.

So yeah, this wheel is a total bummer, dude :(

PS: Will be very grateful if anyone can recommend a racetrack that has only right turns.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The fanatec Facebook group is positively overflowing with people bitching about their broken DD wheels.

Fanatec what are you doing :thunk:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Before returning make sure the USB plug is securely in on the wheel side. I had issues with it being pulled out/down by the weight of the cable and movement in the setup. I have it taped down.

Edit: And check the torx(?) screws inside the rim around the connector, those were loose in of the rims I got.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 14, 2019

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The fanatec Facebook group is positively overflowing with people bitching about their broken DD wheels.

I like to build machines using questionable parts and sensors from china. Fanatec is the same. It works a treat until it simply doesn't.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

GhostDog posted:

Before returning make sure the USB plug is securely in on the wheel side. I had issues with it being pulled out/down by the weight of the cable and movement in the setup. I have it taped down.

Edit: And check the torx(?) screws inside the rim around the connector, those were loose in of the rims I got.

Thanks for the advice. Cable connections was the first thing I checked. I have checked the screws and they are pretty tight, except the small one in the centre of the connector. Tightening it actually made the issue much worse! So I guess the problem is located somewhere in that region.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Interesting. Are you certain you pushed the rim all the way down? Does it have play? It certainly sounds like the issue is with the rim's connection. Talk to Fanatec, maybe they're willing to send you a replacement rim before returning the current one, then at least you could check if it's the rim or the base.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Yeah the quickrelease is locked tight and the rim feels very securely mounted. I'm going to record a video of the problem and submit a support ticket on Monday. I'm hoping the connector is a spare part you can easily replace yourself, so Fanatec just needs to send me a new one. We'll see.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They surely are on a strange path nowadays. I received the podium shift paddle upgrade today, and installed it into my rim (you have to completely disassemble the rim....like....every single screw). They charge something like 100 EUR for a killswitch for the DD wheelbase. And ALL of that stuff comes without CE-certification. The products are packaged like (or even better than) expensive Apple stuff, but they begin to get more and more buggy with each new release.

The McLaren rim was - imo - a bad joke when it was released. I didn't check if the situation got better, because I sold mine couple of days after I got it when I realized that the double clutch pedals could not be used as double clutch pedals.

The latest F1 rim needs a firmware update for the wheelbase which is incompatible with the McLaren rim.

The Podium DD users - as stated above - are also not very happy with what they got. Also, in the forums are a lot of people who pre-ordered the DD base like nearly two years ago, only to see that the PS4 bundle is shipped to people who ordered couple of weeks ago before they get theirs.

It's just mho, but I think they somehow are no longer in total control of their supplier chain, and are cheaping out on the wrong stuff (like propper CE certification etc.).

Equipment like the DD bases over here need a killswitch due to laws and stuff, and I'm quite sure if someone breaks his hands with one, the missing certifications will pose a problem.

If you wanna sell premium products, act like a premium company, imo.

That's my small meltdown as someone who really, really likes the products, but completely dislikes what is happening since about a year and a half with the company.

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 19, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, something is for sure going on, because the facebook group is well beyond "people with problems yell the loudest" and definitely into "something is fundamentally wrong" territory.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I have the Mclaren gt rim and for the first few days I had an issue where the paddle shifters wouldn't register some downshifts/would double shift occasionally. I was all ready to send it back but then it seem like the rim bedded in or something and the problem went away and since then everythings been flawless so :shrug:

I think in general we're waiting to see how the new VRS DD offering turns out (I know Matt Malone streams using a beta version of it and all the VRS team guys use it). Fanatec make great pedals and I'll be honest I really like the Mclaren rim- sucks that it doesn't work for everyone though

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
What a great time for my Fanatec setup to show up, then. I got a CSL Elite PS4 bundle, the loadcell upgrade, and the McLaren rim yesterday and everything assembled/connected/updated without a hitch. Fingers crossed that it stays that way, this stuff feels miles better than my G27 after some testing and settings tweaking in AC/PCars2/Forza 7.

tuo posted:

The McLaren rim was - imo - a bad joke when it was released. I didn't check if the situation got better, because I sold mine couple of days after I got it when I realized that the double clutch pedals could not be used as double clutch pedals.

It certainly looks like they got that into the firmware since you got rid of yours, but I haven't done much fooling around with clutch paddles yet. Another rabbit hole to jump down another day. I really appreciated you posting honest impressions on that rim after you got it because it told me exactly what I needed to know: it should be a competent "babby's first open-wheeler rim" for me.

I made sure to double-check that all the components I got were CE-certified, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It really sucks that Fanatec turned such poo poo because they offer an easy all in one package deal that works together well, but then they cheap out on the wrong stuff. I guess I'll just stick with what I have until I can afford to build a real gently caress off crazy rig.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So guess I made a good choice with Logitech then

My t300 base died twice.
Was going to do fanatec eventually, got a Logitech because it was in sale for like 180 at BB around Christmas.

Wish other companies didn't suck i really like the belt drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Well, I think the direct drive stuff is worse. My clubsport works like a charm.