Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CestMoi posted:

the problem with people's recommendations in this thread isn't the overabundance of old white men it's the recommending of younger contemporary american white men who are universally stupid and bad at writing

just avoid books by people from or in new york tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Even Joseph Heller?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Averaged out? No great loss.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
David Markson and William Gaddis could compensate for an army of Bret Easton Ellises and Jonathan Safran Foers.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

David Markson and William Gaddis could compensate for an army of Bret Easton Ellises and Jonathan Safran Foers.

I've read Everything is Illuminated and I thought 50%+ was good. Maybe I'm judging him harshly because I read it soon after reading 2666 and it seemed so minor compared to that beast of a book. What's the thread consensus on JSF?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Are people ITT even recc'ing JSF?

I feel like the "contemporary American white men" who get the most actual recommendations have been Saunders and Vann, the former of which I thought was pretty well regarded at least although the great Aquarium wars were hotly debated. Is there anyone else who gets recommended even tho they suck?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
goons poo poo on Franzen like they do on Foer

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
'invitation to a beheading' is p great so far. 'gnostical torpitude', xD, you're killing me vlad

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Guy A. Person posted:

Is there anyone else who gets recommended even tho they suck?

Murakami?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Cloks posted:

Murakami?

this is the one that confuses me most.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Reading HD's Trilogy which is some dope poems:

quote:

Evil was active in the land,
Good was impoverished and sad;

Ill promised adventure,
Good was smug and fat;

Dev-ill was after us,
tricked up like Jehovah;

Good was the tasteless pod,
stripped from the manna-beans, pulse, lentils:

they were angry when we were so hungry
for the nourishment, God;

they snatched off our amulets,
charms are not, they said grace;

but gods always face two-ways,
so let us search the old highways

for the true-rune, the right-spell,
recover old values;

nor listen if they shout out,
your beauty, Isis, Aset or Astarte,

is a harlot; you are retrogressive,
zealot, hankering after old flesh-pots;

your heart, moreover,
is a dead canker,

they continue, and
your rhythm is the devil’s hymn,

your stylus is dipped in corrosive sublimate,
how can you scratch out

indelible ink of the palimpsest
of past misadventure?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Saunders is Good As Hell and i'll personally drive to the home of and fistwith with anyone who says differently

Vann I'll leave to mel

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lincoln in the bardo is legit good

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Its legit ok.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

lincoln in the bardo is legit good

Still my favorite from 2017.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

thehoodie posted:

Reading HD's Trilogy which is some dope poems:

HD rules my good pal

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

derp posted:

It's Orientalism.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Saunders is Good As Hell and i'll personally drive to the home of and fistwith with anyone who says differently

Vann I'll leave to mel

Come at me bro I haven't read him

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

derp posted:

he is asian and thus A Foreign Author, but all his cultural references is just 100% American pop culture, which is super accessible, and he is so similar to middle-brow american authors that his novels could literally be set in America or England and not a single thing would change apart from a few place names. he is, I don’t know, Ian MacEwan, but with a foreign-sounding name

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the only ian mckellan ive ever read is the first hundred-odd pages of atonement and im fine with keeping it that way

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I read something or other set in Venice, and it was fine all up to the end when suddenly the dude that the protag thought was friendly started to try to rape and kill them

that was and will remain my last mcewan book

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the only ian mcewan ive ever read is the film of atonement and im fine with keeping it that way

e: ian mckellan is cool

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I have spent the past few years almost getting around to checking out Enduring Love, mainly because of its cover.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I read an Ian McEwan book in which a very wealthy neurosurgeon learns the working class exist when he is attacked by Cockney-speaking thugs. They later invade his home and he saves his family from certain doom by diagnosing one of them with Lou Gehrig’s disease. I wish I was making this up

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Are you sure that wasn't an episode of House

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

derp posted:

Are you sure that wasn't an episode of House

House MD is sad and thus transcends base class, bitch.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've drunkenly pilloried One Hundred Years of Solitude in this thread. I've only had 2/3s of a bottle of wine but I feel it's time for me to not finish Ulysses and question its place.

There's a mastery of style more to it than there is a mastery of prose. The prose, changing style with each chapter, is distinct, but it's not individual (almost representative of a genre as thought). It's particular to a change rather than taking meaning from and giving meaning to its difference, its voice. From the change in style in each chapter we're meant to see the uniqueness of the people in the chapters. But the cumulative effect, in all its simplicity, seems to be - Here are people. These are people. People are dull. Hindsight is amazing. A person looking to ascribe meaning to their existence as seen from their position when they're searching for that meaning can take on all manner of individuality. Joyce mostly seems to be recounting the immediate action and reaction (often to thought) of the people. For all I want a rorschach test in novel form rorschach tests were still designed for effect, the effect an examination. A therapeutic touchstone that's discussed.

Joyce, in isolation, seems like nothing. - Here are people. These are people. I know they're loving people, you've done a good job on some of them, but in absence of a dialogue they're nothing. Unless you and I give them context they're nothing. It might be a fundamental question of Ulysses. Do these people find context within themselves, with people presented as they are: as themselves. I won't know about these people unless I dedicate myself to Joycean scholasticism.

For all its existential questioning (as form rather than as reading) Ulysses doesn't seem to exist as a novel more its a question I've already answered. People have worth simply because. Does Ulysses have worth simply because? Yes. And I don't need to read the rest to find out the minutia of the reasoning.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Your objections are a bit vague and hard to understand but I'm still going to respond:

It's not a conclusion of ulysses that people are dull

And your objection to the prose is like you're advancing from the wrong premise, it's rather that the style reflects place and time and a set of material circumstances more than it does an individual. Joyce's ideas aren't particularly complicated, to be fair, and that might be the source of your frustration, but the notion that the style is the substance is basically uncontroversial. And I mean you know you have to do the work of inference, but that's because it's a difficult book, because everyday life is difficult. You could summarise literally every book with 'it's recounting action and reaction, often to thought, and all it ultimately says is here are some people'. But usually within the framework of plot we have the tools to infer the significance of these people. ulysses doesn't remove that framework but makes it harder to detect and still asks people to read everyday life like I've just described, through surface detail. Joyce is basically trying to resist the usual conception of meaning as residing 'behind' the object at hand, waiting to be uncovered.* So when ulysses talks about the everyday the variety is the point, obvious though it is. And similarly people's selves aren't contained in some formless eternal essence of 'themness' unrelated to the body, but rather within them; so to understand the people of Ulysses looking at their material existence is the way to do it. Read Ithaca if you haven't, the best moment in all 20th c literature is bloom turning on the tap and thinking about water.

*that said like a good dante scholar he understands the power of allegory, so people individually manifest something of the collective, the collective the city, the city the nation, the nation the world.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mrenda posted:

I've drunkenly pilloried One Hundred Years of Solitude in this thread. I've only had 2/3s of a bottle of wine but I feel it's time for me to not finish Ulysses and question its place.

There's a mastery of style more to it than there is a mastery of prose. The prose, changing style with each chapter, is distinct, but it's not individual (almost representative of a genre as thought). It's particular to a change rather than taking meaning from and giving meaning to its difference, its voice. From the change in style in each chapter we're meant to see the uniqueness of the people in the chapters. But the cumulative effect, in all its simplicity, seems to be - Here are people. These are people. People are dull. Hindsight is amazing. A person looking to ascribe meaning to their existence as seen from their position when they're searching for that meaning can take on all manner of individuality. Joyce mostly seems to be recounting the immediate action and reaction (often to thought) of the people. For all I want a rorschach test in novel form rorschach tests were still designed for effect, the effect an examination. A therapeutic touchstone that's discussed.

Joyce, in isolation, seems like nothing. - Here are people. These are people. I know they're loving people, you've done a good job on some of them, but in absence of a dialogue they're nothing. Unless you and I give them context they're nothing. It might be a fundamental question of Ulysses. Do these people find context within themselves, with people presented as they are: as themselves. I won't know about these people unless I dedicate myself to Joycean scholasticism.

For all its existential questioning (as form rather than as reading) Ulysses doesn't seem to exist as a novel more its a question I've already answered. People have worth simply because. Does Ulysses have worth simply because? Yes. And I don't need to read the rest to find out the minutia of the reasoning.

I don't even remotely understand what you're getting at

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mrenda posted:

People have worth simply because. Does Ulysses have worth simply because? Yes. And I don't need to read the rest to find out the minutia of the reasoning.

Deep.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think Eagleton said something about this, like modernism was so successful that eventually Ulysses could be seen as just another story.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mrenda posted:

it sounds like you managed to read it without actually reading it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mrenda posted:

It looks to me like you need to drink either more or less alcohol before posting.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mrenda posted:

:350:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Mrendas post is more interesting and authentic than the combined output of every person insulting him and more posts like his should be encouraged versus mocked imho

I disagree with him but he is at least making a genuine effort rather than most of you

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's her (well done on yet another proof of your reading abilities) and usually I've found her takes interesting enough but I can't say there's anything to hold onto in there

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mrendas post is more interesting and authentic than the combined output of every person insulting him and more posts like his should be encouraged versus mocked imho

I disagree with him but he is at least making a genuine effort rather than most of you

There's a fine line between drunkposting (bad) and effortposting (good) but yeah Mel has a point here. At least let's not do the single-emoticon replies.

mdemone posted:

I think Eagleton said something about this, like modernism was so successful that eventually Ulysses could be seen as just another story.

Yeah that's probably a valid take. When the Revolution wins it becomes ordinary. Modern audiences can't see the moment that Dorothy enters Oz and everything is technicolor, not like audiences then did.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ras Het posted:

It's her (well done on yet another proof of your reading abilities)

I rest my case

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don't mind the post but it's kinda incoherent and if you swapped out the names i wouldn't have been able to tell you it was about ulysses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ah yes the labour theory of post value