Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hakkesshu posted:

No official dub, the show has never actually been officially released in the west until like last year. Maybe the new show has a dub, I'm not sure.

When Game of Thrones started there were a few people who suggested that they use name cards for each character like they do in LoGH to make it easier to follow. I honestly still like that idea, though it definitely would not have fit into the more recent seasons of the show.

LoGH is great, though comparing it to Game of Thrones would maybe warp people's expectations a bit. Like 90% of it is just people sitting in rooms talking and philosophizing. It rules, but it's more comparable to Aubrey-Maturin/Master & Commander or something than GoT.

Yeah I always compare it more to the books, tbh. It has more in common w/r/t the politicking to aSoIaF than Game of Thrones does. But it's still different.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

precision posted:

I'm still disappointed that Dany didn't say "burn them all"

Or at least "You've woken the dragon."

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Several people I knew were convinced this was happening (along with a Jon Snow explores the north spinoff) despite no supporting evidence and it also being clear that the lead actors of GOT are done with this franchise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

More likely Arya becomes one of the many dumb nobles who dies trying to find something west of Westeros

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

More likely Arya becomes one of the many dumb nobles who dies trying to find something west of Westeros

Maybe no one comes back because it loving rules there

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Valinor but it's populated by Gods of Tits and Wine.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe no one comes back because it loving rules there

hmmm good point tbh

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Given the much better tech/magic this world clearly had at some point it seems very unlikely that no-one would have ever made it successfully to Westereros (assuming it exists).

I like to imagine there is a whole 21st century level civilization on the other side of the ocean that has written the whole old world off as a terrifying dumpster fire.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
On the other side of the ocean is Kalimdor. There Arya will find Orcs and great horned demon cows.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Season 8 was hot garbage but holy poo poo this video is loving annoying

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Given the much better tech/magic this world clearly had at some point it seems very unlikely that no-one would have ever made it successfully to Westereros (assuming it exists).

I like to imagine there is a whole 21st century level civilization on the other side of the ocean that has written the whole old world off as a terrifying dumpster fire.

West of Westeros is Easterous because its a globe but to make it clearer the name is 'East of Westerous' or 'Essos' for shorthand notation.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Yarbald posted:

Season 8 was hot garbage but holy poo poo this video is loving annoying

Yeah somehow the whole Vine style doesn't translate as well when you drag out the joke beyond the 5 seconds or whatever the limit was.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There is a god

esperterra posted:

My man PJakes finally put his video up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HbqfpMiZ9I

Now we have maybe two GoT related recap videos before it's back to nothing but book theories for him!

Oh and his Westworld recaps, which are also fun.

And his name is Preston

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Essos, you stupid gently caress

In honor of Game of Thrones I will play the Jon Snow CoD all day Monday on Twitch @ twitch.tv/taintberner

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Oh I misread never mind.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Senor Tron posted:

Wasn't it text in the earlier books that Essos inhabitants see Westeros as this backwards middle-of-nowhere?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

YaketySass posted:

Wasn't it text in the earlier books that Essos inhabitants see Westeros as this backwards middle-of-nowhere?

It's Not-China, so probably.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Decius posted:

It's Not-China, so probably.

Only off-screen Yi-Ti is Not-China, most of actual visited-in-story Essos are a smorgashborg of fantasy reinterpretations. Braavos is Not-Venice, the Dothraki are Not-Mongols, Volantis is Not-Byzantium, Meereen is vaguely Middle Eastern, and while technically in Westerns Dorne is Not-Moors. The story is actually kind of realistic in that everyone considers themselves civilized and everyone else backwards .

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Only off-screen Yi-Ti is Not-China, most of actual visited-in-story Essos are a smorgashborg of fantasy reinterpretations. Braavos is Not-Venice, the Dothraki are Not-Mongols, Volantis is Not-Byzantium, Meereen is vaguely Middle Eastern, and while technically in Westerns Dorne is Not-Moors. The story is actually kind of realistic in that everyone considers themselves civilized and everyone else backwards .

I thought Dorne was Not-Spain. The North is Not-Scandinavia or Not-Russia; there are bits in that prequel book "Fire and Blood" that would suggest the North is supposed to be a bunch of Viking berserkers though.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

5000 years of history in Yi-Ti, do you know

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I thought Dorne was Not-Spain. The North is Not-Scandinavia or Not-Russia; there are bits in that prequel book "Fire and Blood" that would suggest the North is supposed to be a bunch of Viking berserkers though.

Spain was ruled by Moors for several centuries actually. In fact "Moorish Spain" is probably a more accurate descriptor of them than "Moors" or "Non-Moorish Spain". They have a whole thing where they have non Not-European ethnicities ruling and weird foreign traditions. The Ironborn are much more explicitly Not-Vikings in the books, with their ships there being longships and them enslaving people as "Thralls". Though your right the North has a fair bit of "Snowy Beserkerland with runes" going for them along with being Scotland.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

jackhunter64 posted:

5000 years of history in Yi-Ti, do you know

Did their early emperors have tails, y/n?

(And do the locals claims it's propaganda?)

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 24, 2019

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

galagazombie posted:

Spain was ruled by Moors for several centuries actually. In fact "Moorish Spain" is probably a more accurate descriptor of them than "Moors" or "Non-Moorish Spain". They have a whole thing where they have non Not-European ethnicities ruling and weird foreign traditions. The Ironborn are much more explicitly Not-Vikings in the books, with their ships there being longships and them enslaving people as "Thralls". Though your right the North has a fair bit of "Snowy Beserkerland with runes" going for them along with being Scotland.

Moops

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Never not funny.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Valyria is not-Atlantis.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Bip Roberts posted:

Valyria is not-Atlantis.

Through being not-Melniboné and not-Númenor, yes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

i am the bird posted:

Several people I knew were convinced this was happening (along with a Jon Snow explores the north spinoff) despite no supporting evidence and it also being clear that the lead actors of GOT are done with this franchise.

No one’s ever really gone

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
If there is truly nothing west of Westeros except for Essos than the world of ASoIaF is an extremely small one

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Valyria is not-Pompeii

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

If there is truly nothing west of Westeros except for Essos than the world of ASoIaF is an extremely small one

Grum said westeros is the size of South America. Somone literate in mathematics and geography could calculate if there is room for another continent. But where could we find someone like that?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Opferwurst posted:

Grum said westeros is the size of South America. Somone literate in mathematics and geography could calculate if there is room for another continent. But where could we find someone like that?

Gurm also said the Wall was 700 feet tall and allegedly didn't grasp that scale until he saw mockups for the show.

There is totally room for more land

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I honestly don't feel that Westeros has enough going on to justify a south america sized landmass

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Having had time to process the ending, two things really stand out

Drogon burns the Iron Throne... only for Bran to be declared King.

Arya's whole arc was about getting back to her family... only to leave for westereros.

Just wow.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Zaphod42 posted:

Arya's whole arc was about getting back to her family... only to leave for westereros.

Just wow.

Jaime's entire arc was about being independent from Cersei, only for him to crawl back to her after a one-night stand with Brienne. This had the added bonus of also demolishing Brienne's arc in the process.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

christmas boots posted:

I honestly don't feel that Westeros has enough going on to justify a south america sized landmass

Given that the North is supposed to be as big as the rest of the seven kingdoms combined, and there's a shitton more land north of the Wall I could kind of see it. But GRRM definitely didn't consider any of that poo poo when he was making it all up. IIRC going from King's Landing to Winterfell by horse takes like a 3-4 weeks in the book, which I'm not sure would matches up to how long it would take to go from one end of South America to the other by the same method of transportation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vichan posted:

Jaime's entire arc was about being independent from Cersei, only for him to crawl back to her after a one-night stand with Brienne. This had the added bonus of also demolishing Brienne's arc in the process.

Ser Brienne the Terrible in Bed

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

The iron throne is now an elective monarchy though, which lowers the chances that another mad king ends up on the throne. It also increases internal infighting so I guess it's good for the nobles but really sucks for the peasants cause they gonna get raped and burned?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Opferwurst posted:

The iron throne is now an elective monarchy though, which lowers the chances that another mad king ends up on the throne. It also increases internal infighting so I guess it's good for the nobles but really sucks for the peasants cause they gonna get raped and burned?

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1130358984500699136

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's fair to say one could do 30 miles a day on a horse. Like you could do more if you're a soldier on a fit horse but idk about doing that every day for a 3-4 week travel... Robert's wagon train was definitely not doing more than 20-30 miles a day.

That means it's about 800-1000 miles from Winterfell to KL, maybe add some hundreds for when they had to go slower or around terrain features. The South American continent is about 4500-4750 miles North to South.

Eh. There's maybe another 400 miles South from KL. GRRM's scale is just off.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Miles man something different in Westerous. Like how dragons there are actually wyverns here.