Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pseudanonymous posted:

It's kind of odd to me that people pick out that detail to quibble over. Like the wights aren't wights. Manticores aren't hand sized. It's also kind of cultural imperialism, as if what westerners identified as dragons have to be what dragons are. Eastern dragons are far different, for example. Like even made up poo poo has to go by what we say.

draco orientalis (japonica, sinensis, etc) is a different species altogether you ignorant turd burglar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

This is my favorite form of nerd pedantry. Like, it’s a fictional lizard. I get it’s a thing about heraldry or whatever, but Westeros already has their system of heraldry, and they also have 2 legged giant lizards they call dragons. They aren’t going to ever draw a fictional-for-them 4 legged variant on their flags or anything.

i bet if instead of different species of reptiles they were different varities of pie george rr martin never would have made this grievous error

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:hmbol:

I just now learned that the deer that Tywin guts and skins in that one scene was a real deer. Charles Dance learning how to field dress a deer, all sticking his hand up into a real dead animal's guts for his art.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBMmwsRv5gk

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jesus Christ, when you see it all in order it's really apparent they turned him into the dumbest person in history.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Jesus Christ, when you see it all in order it's really apparent they turned him into the dumbest person in history.

People talk about Dany getting character assassinated but Tyrion was getting it for like 3 seasons.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

galagazombie posted:

People talk about Dany getting character assassinated but Tyrion was getting it for like 3 seasons.

It's super weird in retrospect seeing him be immediately, disastrously wrong.

Dany may have fulfilled a 7 season set-up by changing course instantly, but Tyrion went ridiculously stupid after the books ran out and I forgot how bad it truly was.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol bronn was so poo poo in John wick

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

It's super weird in retrospect seeing him be immediately, disastrously wrong.

Dany may have fulfilled a 7 season set-up by changing course instantly, but Tyrion went ridiculously stupid after the books ran out and I forgot how bad it truly was.

He's one of those people that drinking makes clever/funny. He quit drinking and his brains and wit just dissaperaed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well duh have you seen Doctor Bashir's relationship with Garak?

DS9 managed to come up with a satisfying conclusion to their overwhelming enemy problem by specifically pointing out that the federation could not defeat the Dominion in a straight up fight, even with Klingon and romulan support. They went into every battle in the war with something like a 70% casualty rate and they only managed to drive the smallest foothold of Dominion territory out of the Alpha quadrant because the cardassians rose up in revolt and lost hundreds of millions in the process. The war only ended because Bashir had cured Odo's plague and they agreed to a ceasefire if Odo would return to the Founders and prevent another genocide.

Make no mistake the Dominion would have won the war under any other circumstances and the federation nearly broke anyways.

But anyways, yeah Doran Bashir Martell totes gay

Or Sisko could have asked the wormhole aliens to shut the whole thing down.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

longest alcoholism PSA in history

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Then again, in the books it's not obvious that Renly is gay with Loras either, it's just subtext.

You should read more older literature, the social suppression and repression made double entendre an art form.

GRRM's work there was a good call-back, and if you're tuned to that language, pretty obvious.

thoughts and prayers fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 25, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

pseudanonymous posted:

He's one of those people that drinking makes clever/funny. He quit drinking and his brains and wit just dissaperaed.

Like when you're drunk and winning at Mario Kart because you don't give a poo poo then someone talks poo poo and you try really hard to beat them and you lose hard because you're trying now.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

:hmbol:

I just now learned that the deer that Tywin guts and skins in that one scene was a real deer. Charles Dance learning how to field dress a deer, all sticking his hand up into a real dead animal's guts for his art.

Charles Dance loving rules

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

galagazombie posted:

The difference is the writing treats him as the same smartass character throughout, even though it becomes increasingly unearned.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How was Robert's first kill in a fight a Tyrell kid? He had no fighting experience before starting a whole drat rebellion??

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Fighting and killing are different things. Do you think soldiers get to practice offing people before they're sent to the meatgrinder?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Tyrion was easily one of my favourites in the early seasons. Just this clever, relatively good man getting stuck in the middle of things and using his wits to navigate the clusterfuck of Game of Thrones and surviving (and slapping the poo poo out of the king). Then for the rest of the show he becomes "retarded advisor-man who can't advise or even quip well anymore"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Why is this thread still so popular, didnt the show end ages ago?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

CODChimera posted:

Why is this thread still so popular, didnt the show end ages ago?

6 days ago. The way it ended basically made it more popular.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
where did the scene of the dragon loving the parked car happen

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

6 days ago. The way it ended basically made it more popular.

Big business has discovered that the key to optimal audience engagement is to make something great and then intentionally gently caress it up so badly that your customers act like crack-heads chasing that original high that never comes.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or Sisko could have asked the wormhole aliens to shut the whole thing down.

"If it's a legitimate enemy fleet, the female wormhole alien has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something."

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dragons? Jesus Christ, they're wyverns, Marie!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If the people in the universe call them dragons, and even the dragonlady calls them dragons, then surely they are - by definition - dragons.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Michaellaneous posted:

If the people in the universe call them dragons, and even the dragonlady calls them dragons, then surely they are - by definition - dragons.

I want to tell you about my new sci-fi universe, with creatures that turn into hairy wolf-like monsters with the coming of the full moon, and can only be stopped by silver bullets.

I call them vampires.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Alucard posted:

George Foreman VII
George Foreman VIII
George Foreman IX

billy ray cyrus
miley ray cyrus

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wyvron seems likes a good name for a dragon

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Howvern
Whovern

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

Howvern
Whovern

But no one ever asks "Wherevern"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
[Ernest voice] Hey Vern

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Universe Master posted:

I want to tell you about my new sci-fi universe, with creatures that turn into hairy wolf-like monsters with the coming of the full moon, and can only be stopped by silver bullets.

I call them vampires.

that pretty much already exists

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I liked the mass effect derail, can we go back to that instead of the tedious labels arguments

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I liked the mass effect derail, can we go back to that instead of the tedious labels arguments

You mean, as in the series of third-person shooter games?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Captain Splendid posted:

:allears:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
peeon
poopon
farton

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

*dives on thread grenade*

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Rickon, Dickon, Strapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained