Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Asehujiko posted:

Turns out that getting Cao Cao'd shortly after making a trade deal with the victim causes -60 diplomacy penalty for breaking the deal and my Kong Rong trading upwards campaign is now dead in the water unless I sit here mashing end turn for two hours until the betrayal penalty goes away.

Where do you see the honor rating in the diplo screen? I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol if the emperor gets deposed then when he grows up he can turn up as a roaming character with the title “Former Emperor”

But his portrait is generic. Sorry buddy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ethanol posted:

This is going like atilla for me in terms of constantly getting owned by the cpu. Is cao cao really the easiest recommended start or is this a lie

Cao Cao is actually pretty goddamn hard because he's in basically the center of every faction in the game so he has to spin a lot of diplomatic plates to not get gangbanged from all ends at all times(and sometimes this happens anyway). Sun Jian is the actual easy mode start since you basically have southern China all to yourself and if you give up the Imperial Seal when asked you don't get sucked into war with any major players outright.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Kanos posted:

Cao Cao is actually pretty goddamn hard because he's in basically the center of every faction in the game so he has to spin a lot of diplomatic plates to not get gangbanged from all ends at all times(and sometimes this happens anyway). Sun Jian is the actual easy mode start since you basically have southern China all to yourself and if you give up the Imperial Seal when asked you don't get sucked into war with any major players outright.

Sun Jian also starts married, his starting three kids turn into powerhouse uniques and he and Lady Wu are randy as all hell. They have seven kids in my game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

McTimmy posted:

Sun Jian also starts married, his starting three kids turn into powerhouse uniques and he and Lady Wu are randy as all hell. They have seven kids in my game.

Sun Jian's only weakness is that the south is poor as hell compared to the central plains provinces Cao Cao and the rest fight over

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Having a really boring Gongsun campaign where after taking the mine and harbour, Zhao Yun sailed all the way to the razed imperial city (looking for trade partners), rebuilt it with his bare hands (and money from trade partners) and has sat there staring at Lu Bu's full stack along the river. Everyone's now coming to pay tribute. 2.5k from Cao Cao just to be friends.

Money > troops

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Kanos posted:

Or keep the seal and push to create alliances / vassalise the few surrounding northernmost provinces so you can finish up the south before moving forward. That's how I'm playing and it's glorious. I'm also insanely rich despite having multiple armies on the battlefield. Went high food and just sell it to my opponents quite often for 1k~ for 10 turns.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is there any way to know if a character is one of the uniques? For example Sun Quan is a unique, but not legendary so unless you know the story you could miss him.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can't you just tell from their portrait being different? You can see all the truly unique characters in custom battle setup screen.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
I am absolutely blown away by the performance. Im used to TW laughing at my AMD cpus and laying down to take a nap. No crazy 20fps. No turns taking 8 years. This is great!

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

Can't you just tell from their portrait being different? You can see all the truly unique characters in custom battle setup screen.

Thanks, i guess i will learn all the generic faces pretty soon.

Is it possible to switch an administrator to another province in more need without pissing him off by firing him?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

There's something very satisfying about the cavalry in this game. I'm finding the cpu doesn't make much use of cav and instead just dump tons of front line infantry, which lets me just engage the front line and have 8 units of cavalry cause chaos everywhere else.

Now that I have some trebs I might half my force of infantry and just nuke the enemy on the approach. It's really easy to at least momentarily rout a unit and cavalry can just push them off the map even if they normally would have recovered.

If you haven't used flaming shot trebuchets yet:

USE FLAMING SHOT TREBUCHETS.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

lurksion posted:

From playing as Liu Bei, you can only annex a city that doesn't have an army in it. Then right click brings up an annex option. Otherwise still need to siege.

Turns out you have to select an army, then select what you want to annex. Even though the army isn't involved at all. You can't just right click them on the map.

Makes zero sense but whatever, that's how you annex Han empire territories if anyone else was wondering.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

The Duggler posted:

If you haven't used flaming shot trebuchets yet:

USE FLAMING SHOT TREBUCHETS.

Yeah, I was fighting a large battle defending a grain estate from Yuan Shao attacking it unexpectedly with several armies emerging from fog of war.

The settlement has four gates and he's attacking from three sides at once. My battle bros fight an enemy at a gate each. My bossman and his archers are to hold off the largest enemy force until the others arrive to flank it. Everything is going well. One enemy force was sent packing very early, and the freed up forces arrived to help finish off one of the second waves at the other brother's gate. My tired, depleted forces now have them flanked and are just about to roll down their battle line.

From off the map an enemy trebuchet casually rolls onto the battlefield and immediately proceeds to hammer my flanking force with highly accurate flaming shot, sending two units running at once. I barely manage to complete the flanking action and I have to plug the holes in my line with out-of-arrow archers.

This does not deter the trebuchet of fiery doom. It proceeds to burninate my tired and depleted forces as they march towards my bossman's beleagured archers and crap-tier infantry. I divert a cavalry unit to make it stop, but there's a bunch of archers hanging out next to it, and my shield-less cavalry are forced to turn back. The stupid trebuchet keeps firing until I finally manage to get another cavalry unit between the two enemy detachments and murder the gently caress out of the trebuchet crew.

That single trebuchet almost cost me the battle, and it did cost me a truckload of casualties by messing up my battle lines at a critical time.

My own trebuchet is now enroute to the front, built by a really smart chap named Sima Lang. I really hope I can trust him to not turn it against me.

PederP fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 25, 2019

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

trebuchets are absurdly accurate at the moment, i am definitely looking forward to that being nerfed

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

The Duggler posted:

There's something very satisfying about the cavalry in this game. I'm finding the cpu doesn't make much use of cav and instead just dump tons of front line infantry, which lets me just engage the front line and have 8 units of cavalry cause chaos everywhere else.
yeah more cav in the ai army compositions is a mod i would immediately like to see. morale penalties for flanking are pretty acute. cav advantage, combined with night assault, combined with fire arrows (even just the cav advantage), is something that few armies can stand up to. it helps that the sort of lovely militia cavalry are actually sturdy enough to charge into the back of spearmen which is not the case in a lot of other tw games.

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 25, 2019

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Looks like models interact a bit less woodenly. Cavalry certainly look more fluid. Still not a lot of momentum to a charge from what I can see. Generals seem pretty great in that regard, and in the way they can dynamically attack whatever's in range of their weapon. Foot melee is a bit less turn-based looking too. Hope they can keep improving it from Total Ham 3

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sheep posted:

Turns out you have to select an army, then select what you want to annex. Even though the army isn't involved at all. You can't just right click them on the map.

Makes zero sense but whatever, that's how you annex Han empire territories if anyone else was wondering.

I think the army has to manually go over to the territory to annex? Or maybe that's the Liu Bei annexation and the Emperor annexation is different?

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

sassassin posted:

Having a really boring Gongsun campaign where after taking the mine and harbour, Zhao Yun sailed all the way to the razed imperial city (looking for trade partners), rebuilt it with his bare hands (and money from trade partners) and has sat there staring at Lu Bu's full stack along the river. Everyone's now coming to pay tribute. 2.5k from Cao Cao just to be friends.

Money > troops

Also having a strange go with my Gongsun Zan game now that I’ve secured the northeast. As predicted, Yuan Shao hovered up over half a dozen into vassals and offered me a ton of benefits to join after I kept turning down offers (due to my main mission to wipe him out). I should have accepted, but later on I joined a coalition with Kong Rong who became a force on his own. Crazy thing is that all of Shao’s vassals started offering me ludicrous amounts of money for NAPs and I have military access through Shao’s lands who is keeping in touch. I’m currently limping back home hoping to get there before we starve because we ran out of supplies.

Kong Rong holds the puppet emperor and there’s war declarations flying everywhere, but everyone aside from a few that are being targeted by the two main factions love me to death. I have a spy that infiltrated into being a general for Shao and is part of his administration, set up a spy network and counterintelligence.

We are definitely playing the game of thrones right now. It’s loving insane.

E: Also I adopted best friend Zhao Yun into the family and while my only adult son was pissed at first, he and Zhao are now hitting it off as buddies too :3:

Fosson fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh man, if one of your generals dies in battle and is good buddies with the other generals in the stack they go BERSERK

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

So I had a spy commanding an enemy army during a siege, but I didnt get any cool "open the gates" or defect option from the spy menu. Do those options exist?

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Symetrique posted:

So I had a spy commanding an enemy army during a siege, but I didnt get any cool "open the gates" or defect option from the spy menu. Do those options exist?

Go to your spy network tab and there are up to four little menus that your spy can purchase with spy points depending on how deep he is infiltrated. One of the options is to open the gates.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This game loving owns. Also it should probably have its own thread?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

How is the AI in this? Thats always been my problem with these games because its easy to just roll over them

for context the last one I played was napoleon

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Control Volume posted:

How is the AI in this? Thats always been my problem with these games because its easy to just roll over them

I'm not a tactical master or anything but I think the AI is pretty decent. It has some weaknesses, like leaving its archers too exposed, but it has sane army compositions and uses them to good effect against me.

I did have a hilarious heroic victory in a siege defense when the enemy generals charged in after their melee troops and got cut down after eating a ton of arrow fire. The entire army instantly broke when he went down.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Playing my first campaign as Cao Cao on VH/VH

The battles so far are not very challenging or interesting. Hammer/Anvil seems to be the standard go to tactic. Since I'm playing romance mode my Xiahou Dun and Dian Wei mow down men by the hundreds each battle.

The campaign map however. Hoo boy! The one AI that is a real danger to me is Yuan Shao. I have his coalition partners to my north, east and south. I have the mission to take Luo Yang but I really don't want to share a border with Yuan Shao just yet. So I sack the town north of Chen and let Yuan Shu take it. Signed a NAP with him and let him duke it out with Shao while I build up to raise a 3rd and 4th army. Meanwhile I'm mopping up the remains of the Han Empire to the south of Chen. My next goals are a temple town to the north east, held by Huang Shao and farmlands to my west, held by Kong Rong, my long time trading partner who I also have a NAP with. I cannot declare on Huang Shao because his vassal He Yi is also to my west. Declaring on him would mean fighting on two fronts. So I instigated Kong Rong to declare on He Yi, who is stronger than him and hopefully will wipe him out. I can then declare on Huang Shao, take out the recovering He Yi quickly and then focus on taking the temple town from Huang Shao. It feels good to Cao Cao

This is all while certain doom is a constant possibility in the form of Yuan Shu breaking the NAP or any of the Shao coalition partners deciding to declare on me. I cant wait to see how this all plays out. Its 2019 and I'm playing a total war game for the campaign map :v:

Game is very good (minus the english voice acting)

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

So how different/weird are the yellow turban rebellion guys? Figure they have to be one of the more unusual factions if they're the preorder/week one bonus factions. Just wondering whether to grab this game now or just wait a few weeks (I assume they'll only be like £7 anyway so not too fussed).

They have their own army roster, their own hero classes, their tech system works more like classic TW research and they only gain diplomacy options as your faction advances up the ranks - at the start you cannot even make peace with the warlords. They also don't have the family system and don't do spies. Overall, they kinda play more like a traditional Total War game rather than Three Kingdoms. Also, everybody hates you and you can't diplomacy before reaching like the third faction rank. OTOH you get to peacefully annex any territory hed by generic Yellow Turban rebels on the map by marching up an army and telling them that you're in charge now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Damnit, I always get these games, then I always give up after 10 hours, so I was trying to avoid this, but the stories out of the thread is breaking that resolve.

Also, one thing I am not clear on is how does the campaign work? I hear that there is a Romance mode and Records mode. What is the difference? Hero units like in Warhammer?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I am going to be a peace cultist and will destroy the corrupt Han dogs.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Yah, Yuan Shao is kind of a jerk and your best bet is to crush him as early as possible before his vassal cascade goes critical. What helped me was making friends with Zhang Yan to the west, which covered that whole flank very nicely and allowed me to zoom down towards the river, snagging all the good coastal settlements along there. Between the fishery port and the salt mines I now have food for days, which let me get big enough to support two full stacks to steal his capital, which in turn made it pretty easy to get his various vassals to peace out.

Oh no, this was before his vassal swarm. I went the historical event route, then the other choice declared war on me anyway. With Han between Yuan Shao and me, I went west. This left me very horizontal while Yuan Shao took out all the Han between us. He could then field 3 full armies to my 1 and a half and I learned how the reserves system because we depleted several provinces.

Zhang Yan was a helpful west defense who drew Lu Bu into our coalition, then got vassalised by Cao Cao, forcing me to conquer him.

Then I recruited Zheng Jiang and married her to my son.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, one thing I am not clear on is how does the campaign work? I hear that there is a Romance mode and Records mode. What is the difference? Hero units like in Warhammer?

Pretty much. Romance mode means your characters are wushu ovie-esque solo-killing machines. Records mode they behave like generals in older titles, with their own cavalry bodyguard unit. In Romance mode you also can belt out challenges to 1v1 duels between the characters on both sides of a battle. Winning side gets a big bonus (and in some cases just your guy surviving a set time counts as a win). Rejecting a challenge gives a morale debuff to your army.

PeenCommander
Jun 24, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Anyone who tells you its any better than previous games (I.e. pretty bad) is kidding themselves. As long as you have cavalry to flank with and enough infantry to hold a line you smash them every time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Turns out hammer and anvil are just as OP as they were in Rome 1

PeenCommander
Jun 24, 2008

I think it’s a great game in spite of the flawed AI, but I find it frustrating that in all these years they haven’t managed to make an AI that can combat a simple cavalry flank - even when they have overwhelming numbers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Magni posted:

In Romance mode you also can belt out challenges to 1v1 duels between the characters on both sides of a battle. Winning side gets a big bonus (and in some cases just your guy surviving a set time counts as a win). Rejecting a challenge gives a morale debuff to your army.

I haven't been able to see many duels because opposing generals just say "Doesn't want to duel" and I don't have an option to call them out

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fuligin posted:

This game loving owns. Also it should probably have its own thread?

But then this thread would die, or people get confused posting in one or the other.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven't been able to see many duels because opposing generals just say "Doesn't want to duel" and I don't have an option to call them out

Sometimes they change their mind once their boys start dying off.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

lurksion posted:

From playing as Liu Bei, you can only annex a city that doesn't have an army in it. Then right click brings up an annex option. Otherwise still need to siege.

You can still annex a city with an army in it, you just need to carefully click on the city and not the army. I wasn't even at war with the Han and took a city from them this way, the garrisoning army gets plopped outside the city once you take it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Can you not call out duels the opponent doesn't want to cause a moral hit?

I'm really enjoying my yellow turban play through but veterans seem better at dueling than scholars. Maybe better at everything.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 25, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PeenCommander posted:

Anyone who tells you its any better than previous games (I.e. pretty bad) is kidding themselves. As long as you have cavalry to flank with and enough infantry to hold a line you smash them every time.

It’s not good but it certainly has improved. In Napoleon the ai would last samurai its general into your gun line and deploy line infantry in X formations so that a chunk of each regiment was shooting the other in the back.

Warhammer has better battle AI though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

Sometimes they change their mind once their boys start dying off.

Yeah enemy generals will pretty routinely start challenging Guan Yu or Zhang Fei when they're in the middle of slaughtering troops unchecked, just to slow their roll by tying them up