Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rebonack7 posted:

Five other contestants also catch javelins. But not with their hands.

:stare:

Let's win a mountain bike. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's get that bike

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

You know what I love to see when transcribing these books? Long, uninterrupted stretches of text with no choices whatsoever. We should do another one of those!

quote:

Coach Rex leads you to the track. “The last event is called the steeplechase,” he announces.

You’ve seen that event on TV. It’s the one where you run 3,000 meters around the track. But there are obstacles, like high hurdles and pools of water. You can push off the top of the heavy hurdle to vault over the water.

The event looks harmless. No flames. No one throwing spears at you.

Then Coach Rex smiles. “Whoever survives this race deserves the prize,” he declares.

The word “survive” makes you gulp.

You glance up nervously at the stands.

There are exactly seven campers left.

And they’re moving toward the infirmary.

quote:

You and Brad line up, side by side.

“What do you think they have planned for us?” you whisper.

Brad shrugs. “I guess we’ll find out,” he whispers back. “Just remember, we’re in this together. You help me, I help you.”

Sounds good to you. But you notice that Brad doesn’t meet your eyes. Can you trust him?

The starting gun goes off, and you sprint out. As you approach the first hurdle, you’re in the lead. Barely.

You take off over the water jump. Up, up, up you go.

As you come down, your heel slaps against the water’s edge. A tiny bit of the liquid splashes on your calf.

“OUCH!” You scream in pain. That stuff burns!

“Don’t let a little sulfuric acid slow you down!” Coach Rex bellows at you.

Acid? This is insane! You gaze desperately around. Any chance you could veer off the course and run to safety?

Not much. The whole track is surrounded by the coaches. So escape isn’t likely. Just finish the race and get your prize.

The next obstacle is approaching. You leap up, balance for a moment on top of the hurdle, and peer down at the pool.

You wish you hadn’t!

quote:

There’s nothing in the pool.

No water.

No acid.

Nothing.

It’s a bottomless black hole.

“Watch out, loser!” Brad yells in your ear.

He balances beside you on top of the hurdle for a moment. Then he shoves off – and pushes you to one side.

“Whoa!” you shout, flailing your arms. You throw yourself off the hurdle.

But you’re off balance. Your leap isn’t long enough. You land half in and half out of the pit.

Your legs dangle over empty space.

Coach Rex runs up beside you along the track. “That pit goes three miles deep,” he informs you. “And that’s the hole truth.”

You gasp, “Thanks for the info, Coach.”

quote:

Your fingernails dig into the track. Terror adds to your strength. If you fall, you’ve had it!

With a mighty effort, you haul yourself out of the pit. You get to your feet. Your legs are wobbling.

Coach Rex smiles. “Good work. Now move it!”

You were always a good runner. It’s time to pour it on. You increase your pace and pull even with Brad. Then you’re ahead.

Not being stupid, you’re pretty cautious about the next hurdle. You pull up short and peer over the jump. What’s on the other side?

Whoa.

It’s a pit full of writhing, twisting, hissing snakes!

You don’t need a field guide to reptiles to recognize some of the most poisonous snakes in the world. Cobras. Rattlers. Pit vipers. Coral snakes.

“What are you waiting for?” Coach Rex shouts. “Do I have to come in there and make you jump?”

You glance back. He’s striding toward you.

Holding one of the javelins from the javelin catch!

You have no choice. Taking a deep breath, you fling your body up into the air.

quote:

You sail through the air. Your legs pump frantically, as if you’re still running on ground. And then...

Your feet touch the track.

You made it!

Terror carries you down the track faster than you’ve ever run before. You whip along like a greyhound. You’re going to win this race!

Suddenly, you hear a scream behind you.

You glance over your shoulder. It’s Brad!

He has fallen – and he can’t get up. He’s lying at the edge of the snake pit. A diamondback rattler is coiled by his face – ready to strike!

“Help!” he cries. “If I move, it will bite me!”

You’ve had enough of Brad and his tricks. Let him help himself, you think.

Then you think again. Brad may be a jerk – but he’s a jerk in need.

Maybe you should go back and help him.

If you help Brad, go to PAGE 41.

If you don't help Brad, go to PAGE 5.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
ID Card

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Beamed into the sun by a malfunctioning transporter.
Bludgeoned to death with baseball bats by an angry mob of brainwashed campers.
Betrayed by Uncle Ed and recaptured by the Xentronians.
Accidentally provoked an interplanetary war between Earth and Xentron.
Landed in the flamethrower pit while trying to fake an injury on the high bar.

Achievements
None yet.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Leave him

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Eat poo poo, Brad.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Later, loser!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
get hosed, brad

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Throw the only friendly face to the wolves

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress you, Brad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Die, Brad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leraika posted:

get hosed, brad

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Help him.

We are no longer in immediate danger and it can't hurt to help him now. Perhaps we can shame him into cooperating?

Also I smell an obvious trap; the book is clearly leading us to ditch Brad.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

PumpkinBat posted:

Help him.

We are no longer in immediate danger and it can't hurt to help him now. Perhaps we can shame him into cooperating?

Also I smell an obvious trap; the book is clearly leading us to ditch Brad.

That's half the fun, so let him die.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Unsurprisingly, leaving Brad to the snakes leads to immediate karmic punishment:

quote:

Forget Brad! You streak down the track.

A glance over your shoulder shows Brad slowly crawling away from the snakes. V-e-r-y slowly. By the time he gets to his feet, you’ve crossed the finish line.

Rex grabs your arm and raises it in the air. “The winner!”

You can’t believe it. You’ve won! You get the special prize. You get the bike. But most of all, you’ll get to escape!

As you’re led to the victory stand, the coaches cheer. You blink in the bright sunlight and follow Coach Rex.

“Congratulations!” he bellows. “You have proved yourself the best camper of them all. You have been Selected!”

You beam. But your smile fades as Coach Rex goes on.

“As the best human specimen, you won’t work the mines, like the other, inferior campers. The blue eggs have made them strong enough to carry klatu crystals. The eggs have also made them obedient, so they’ll be fine slaves. You, on the other hand, will serve the Overmaster of Xentron. With this honor comes much pain, and eventually a gruesome death.”

Say what?

Did you hear Coach Rex correctly?

quote:

Is Coach Rex really saying what you think he’s saying?

That you just went through the whole, horrible Selection just so you could become a slave to an alien overlord?

And die a gruesome death?

“Come on,” Coach Rex booms. “Time to transport you!”

You’re in a tight spot. But you don’t give up easily.

You’ve got one last chance to save yourself. If only you can get to that mountain bike...

You leap off the victory platform and race to the cafeteria.

Coach Rex runs after you. “There is no escape,” he shouts.

Unfortunately, he’s right.

The mountain bike is gone.

Someone stole it. And that person is now pedaling it furiously across the stadium grass.

It’s Brad! He’s leaving Camp Run-for-Your-Life.

So are you. For an all-expenses-paid, lifetime vacation to Xentron.

Luckily for you, a slave’s lifetime is mercifully short!

THE END

Congrats to rudecyrus for guessing the obvious plot twist! As a reward, your votes will count double for the remainder of the current book!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
ID Card

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
:siren:Won the "grand prize" of a lifetime of slavery on Xentron.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Volunteer to play forward instead.
  • Choose the hurdles.
  • Swim back to Coach Karla for help.
  • Frog kick away from the alligator.
  • Pole vault over the wall.
  • Save Brad from the snake pit.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Let's do the hurdles. I'm not saving that jerk.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 25, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Save Brad.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Fine. Let's save that shitlord, Brad.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
fiiiiiiiiiiiiine

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I guess. If we have to.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
:buddy:

Save Brad

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Okay fiiiiiiiine, I'll save the bastard. Jerk.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

loving Brad. :argh:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Save that fucker Brad then, I guess.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You race back past the snake pit and snatch the javelin out of Coach Rex’s hands.

You dart back to Brad’s side. Hooking the point of the javelin under the rattlesnake’s body, you lift the furious reptile away from Brad. You toss it back into the pit. It writhes and hisses angrily.

Then you hold the javelin out to Brad. “Grab hold,” you command, and pull him to his feet.

You’re a hero. But does Brad thank you for saving him?

No way! Instead, he shoves you to the ground.

“Eat my dust, sucker!” he sneers. Then he sprints down the track and crosses the finish line. What a jerk!

“We have a winner!” Coach Rex cries. He holds Brad’s arm aloft. Brad is led to the victory platform.

You stand on the track. Now what are you going to do? Brad won the special prize – the mountain bike. The mountain bike that was your hope for escaping Camp Run-for-Your-Life.

Are you trapped here?

quote:

Coach Rex’s voice booms over the loudspeaker. “Congratulations, camper!” he tells Brad.

Yeah, yeah, you think glumly.

Then you hear Coach Rex’s next words. And a shiver shakes your entire body.

“In a few minutes, you will be transported from the infirmary to the planet Xentron,” Coach Rex announces. “There you will have the honor of being the Overmaster’s slave. After you’ve served him for a period of time, he will serve you – for dinner!”

Your jaw drops. So that’s the special prize! Going to an alien planet as a slave! And then getting eaten!

You thought this kind of thing only happened in movies. Horror movies!

Then you have a terrible thought.

What is second prize?

Uh-oh. You’ve got to get out of here, before Coach Rex turns his attention to you.

But how?

Then an idea pops into your head.

quote:

Slowly, carefully, you sneak off down the track. All eyes are on Brad. No one sees you go.

You dash to the cafeteria. All right! The mountain bike still gleams in the glass case.

You break the case, wheel the bike outside, and climb on.

And you’re off!

With everyone’s attention focused on Brad, the coaches don’t realize what you’ve done – until you’re halfway across the field. You throw the bike into the highest gear and stand up to pedal.

Hey. This is your best event yet!

You zoom past the gatehouse at the other end of the camp. Rex and the other coaches give chase. But they’re on foot. You’re on wheels. They can’t catch you!

You’re escaping from Camp Run-for-Your-Life!

quote:

You cycle down a dirt road until you reach the highway.

You remember the old man down the road. You take a left to his house.

You jump off your bike and race up to the porch. BRRING! BRRING! You hit the doorbell again and again. Finally the old man opens the door. He’s holding a pair of headphones.

“You’re never going to believe this,” you pant, “but Camp Running Leaf is sending kids to an alien planet as slaves!”

To your shock, the old man doesn’t call the nearest mental hospital. Instead, he invites you in!

“I’m Agent Driscoll,” he tells you. “I head up a government team that investigates alien activity.”

You stare at him. This is incredible!

“We’ve had our suspicions about that camp for some time now. One of my field agents went to check it out,” the old man goes on. “But she never made it back.”

You remember the skull you saw in the lake. Shuddering, you pull out the ID card you found and show it to Agent Driscoll.

He nods sadly. “Draper was a good agent,” he tells you. Then he brightens. “But at least now we’ve got enough evidence to get a search warrant!”

quote:

Agent Driscoll immediately gets on the phone to Washington.

The problem is, it takes a long time to get a search warrant. By the time the authorities finally arrive at Camp Running Leaf, the grounds are deserted. The coaches, campers, and transporter are gone. There isn’t even a scrap of blue egg.

However, Agent Driscoll doesn’t lose heart. “I’m certain Coach Rex and the Xentronians will soon start up another camp for human slaves,” he tells you as he drives you home.

Another Camp Run-for-Your-Life.

It could be anywhere in the country.

It could even be the next camp you go to!

THE END

So that's the Selection, and honestly? gently caress the Selection. With a main path that's far too linear, two dead-end side branches, and a disappointing ending, it's probably one of my least favorite story paths we've seen thus far in terms of structure. On the bright side, the book's other path is much better in my opinion, so it's all uphill from here!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
ID Card

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Won the "grand prize" of a lifetime of slavery on Xentron.

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Volunteer to play forward instead.
  • Choose the hurdles.
  • Swim back to Coach Karla for help.
  • Frog kick away from the alligator.
  • Pole vault over the wall.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 25, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Go hiking!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pole vault to freedom!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Let's go for a walk I guess.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AceOfFlames posted:

Pole vault to freedom!

Let's escape via stupid gymnastics!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Go hiking out of this book.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

So that's the Selection, and honestly? gently caress the Selection. With a main path that's far too linear, two dead-end side branches, and a disappointing ending, it's probably one of my least favorite story paths we've seen thus far in terms of structure. On the bright side, the book's other path is much better in my opinion, so it's all uphill from here!

Brad died and we got a free mountain bike. That's what I call a successful ending. :toot:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Go hiking

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I’ll try the hike,” you decide.

“Okay. Meet Coach Krump at the equipment shed,” Coach Rex orders. He points out the shed to you. “Get going, camper!”

Four other kids are already waiting at the equipment shed when you get there. A dark-haired girl with braces smiles at you. “I’m Tracy,” she says. “I’m going on the hike too.”

The other kids introduce themselves as Samantha, Al, and Ted.

Samantha, a tall, strong-looking girl, beckons all four of you closer. “I’ve heard some strange things about this hike,” she whispers. “They say some kids don’t come back from it.”

“Then why are you going?” Al asks.

“I want to win the Outdoors Medal,” Samantha replies calmly.

You smile to yourself. Camps always have silly scary stories. You know Samantha is only trying to psych out the competition. But you’re a good hiker. You plan to win that medal yourself.

“Here comes another hiker!” Ted exclaims.

You glance up and see someone running toward the shed.

“Oh, no!” you groan.

quote:

You know the person running toward the shack. Her name is Kim. She goes to your school back home. You’ve disliked her since you did a geography project together. Kim complained the whole time. Even worse – you had to do all the work.

“I don’t believe this!” she exclaims when she catches sight of you. “Of all the camps in the whole country, I end up at the same one as you.”

Great. She’s already complaining! you think.

A pale, heavyset man in a white shirt comes puffing up.

“I’m Coach Krump,” he says. “Okay, listen up, campers. The point of the hike is to earn your Outdoors Medal.”

He reaches in his pocket and pulls out a shiny disk. “This is the medal,” he says. He holds it up.

It gleams in the sunshine as if made of gold. A small figure is carved on it. You can’t quite make out what it is.

“Cool,” you murmur. You reach for the medal to examine it more closely.

Coach Krump snatches it away.

“Hands off!” he thunders.

quote:

“I just wanted to see the medal,” you gasp, shocked.

“Not till you’ve completed the hike!” Coach Krump bellows. He leans over. “Understand?” he says, right in your face.

This guy is weird, you think. You wonder if you’ve made the wrong choice.

“To earn your medals, you must be able to read a map and get around in the wilderness,” Coach Krump goes on. He holds up a map and points to a mountain. “You must find Zombie Cave, here on Zombie Mountain, and remove a bone from it as proof you were there.”

Zombie Mountain? Excellent. You love spooky stuff.

“A bone?” Kim exclaims. “Ewwwww!”

“The cave is full of bones,” Coach Krump declares. “Human bones,” he adds with a smile.

Now he passes out maps, one to each kid. “After you leave Zombie Cave,” he continues, “we’ll all meet at the campsite on Zombie Mountain.”

Cool, you think. First a spooky fossil hunt, then a camp-out. This is going to be great!

“One more thing,” Coach Krump adds. He glares from camper to camper. “Watch out for zombies.”

quote:

You crack up. “There’s no such thing as zombies,” you snort.

“Are you sure?” Coach Krump narrows his eyes at you. “Why do you think they call it Zombie Mountain?”

You know he’s just fooling. But he sounds awfully serious.

“Wh-what do zombies look like?” Kim asks.

“They’re the walking dead,” Coach Krump replies. “They crave living flesh. A zombie’s bite will turn you into a zombie.”

You and Al snicker.

“It’s not funny,” Coach Krump says solemnly. “Every year we lose a few campers to zombies.”

Okay, the coach is just trying to make the hike more fun. But isn’t he going a little overboard?

Ted pipes up, “I’ve heard stories about a strange guy who lives on Zombie Mountain. They call him the Cemetery Man.”

Krump scowls. “He doesn’t exist,” he snaps. “Okay, people! The gear is in the shed. Take what you need and get started.”

You take a sleeping bag, pack, food, and flashlight. Coach Krump hands you a map and a box labeled SURVIVAL KIT.

You’re turning to go when the coach stops you. “Wait!” he exclaims. “I forgot to tell you the most important thing of all. No matter what, you must reach the campsite by midnight!”

quote:

“What happens if we’re late?” you ask.

“Are the zombies going to get us?” Al adds, grinning.

“They might.” The coach glares at Al. “Or they could just as easily get you earlier. But if you’re late, you’re disqualified. No Outdoors Medal for you.”

“We won’t be late,” you all chorus.

“You’ll be safer hiking in pairs,” Krump calls. “As soon as you’ve chosen partners, start the hike. See you at the campsite!”

You see that Samantha has already paired up with Al. Ted and Tracy are starting up the trail together.

That leaves you with... Kim?

No way! you think. She’s lazy. She’s a complainer. Besides, you’re a good hiker. You don’t need a partner.

On the other hand, Coach Krump told you to pair up.

What will you do?

To pair up with Kim, go to PAGE 118.

To hike alone, turn to PAGE 14.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Map:siren:
:siren:Survival Kit:siren:

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 28, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Go with Kim.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gently caress Kim

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
This protagonist is surprisingly and incredibly capable, so much so that I'm finding it difficult to identify with them.

They're athletic, a gymnast, good at hiking, and even fended off an alligator. This kid is probably in better shape than all of us put together and is probably the protagonist of a shonen anime.

I've never dragged my heaving carcass along a trail before, but I do know you gotta go as partners, especially if it's to a place called Zombie Mountain.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kim sounds more like an Ashley Graham than an Ada Wong. Let's go on our zombie quest alone.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 26, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PumpkinBat posted:

This protagonist is surprisingly and incredibly capable, so much so that I'm finding it difficult to identify with them.

They're athletic, a gymnast, good at hiking, and even fended off an alligator. This kid is probably in better shape than all of us put together and is probably the protagonist of a shonen anime.

I've never dragged my heaving carcass along a trail before, but I do know you gotta go as partners, especially if it's to a place called Zombie Mountain.

Since we are a shounen anime protagonist Go as partners, because if I've learned anything from shounen series, good and bad, it's that friendship is a reliable solution to your problems.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's something funny about Krump saying "Watch out for zombies" and "No, that guy doesn't exist" in the same context.

Partner up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You sigh. “All right, let’s team up,” you say to Kim.

You watch while she studies her map. You hate to admit it, but it’s true: Kim is a much better map-reader than you.

“Zombie Cave is on the other side of Zombie Mountain,” she remarks, pointing to a squiggle on the map. “Also, the campsite is on the same side of the mountain as the cave,” she continues. “They look close to each other.”

“So let’s get started,” you say impatiently.

“Wait,” Kim cautions. “According to the map, there are two ways to get to the cave. We could take the main trail up over the mountain. But it’s very steep.”

“What’s the other way?” you ask.

“The other way is to follow the river around the mountain,” she explains. “But it’s much longer. Also” – she squints at the paper – “there are some strange markings I can’t figure out.”

You glance at her map. “X’s” line the riverbank.

“You decide. Which route seems easiest?” Kim asks you.

You study the map. Both routes look tough to you.

Which one will you take?

If you climb the mountain, turn to PAGE 113.

If you follow the river, begin on PAGE 16.

So apparently reading a map is the one plot-convenient skill our protagonist doesn't have in this book. Good thing Kim's here to help us out!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Map
Survival Kit

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.