Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
No, I just want to start new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Okay so basically this.

If you've already bought the game from the S-E store, you need to check your email for a receipt from them. Inside that e-mail there will be a link that will reveal the key codes for your purchase. Open that up.

Log into your SEID account and add new services -> put in the game key. When you've done that successfully it'll give you a PoL ID and a generic PoL password. From there you can go to your Service Accounts and Options List and change the PlayOnline password if you wish. You also need to go there to create a new content ID so you can make a character to begin playing.

You will also get 2 more keys for a stupid shirt and hat. They're very good for leveling pre level 30, so I suggest doing so. To use those codes, first you need to go into the game itself and create a character. Once you've done that, go back into the Service Accounts menu and click Add a service account. Enter stupid codes, and confirm the character to receive the shirt+hat. Once that's done, you need to log out and back into your dumb anime character and go to a specific moogle and claim your fancy new poo poo.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

LiquidFriend posted:

Okay so basically this.

If you've already bought the game from the S-E store, you need to check your email for a receipt from them. Inside that e-mail there will be a link that will reveal the key codes for your purchase. Open that up.

Log into your SEID account and add new services -> put in the game key. When you've done that successfully it'll give you a PoL ID and a generic PoL password. From there you can go to your Service Accounts and Options List and change the PlayOnline password if you wish. You also need to go there to create a new content ID so you can make a character to begin playing.

You will also get 2 more keys for a stupid shirt and hat. They're very good for leveling pre level 30, so I suggest doing so. To use those codes, first you need to go into the game itself and create a character. Once you've done that, go back into the Service Accounts menu and click Add a service account. Enter stupid codes, and confirm the character to receive the shirt+hat. Once that's done, you need to log out and back into your dumb anime character and go to a specific moogle and claim your fancy new poo poo.

Awesome, thank you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Even for FFXIV the mogstation is way too complicated and confusing, but the FFXI playonline system was really draconian even for its time

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I'm about to lose my loving mind. So I bought the game again and added everything to my SquareEnix account, got the random code username for playonline, changed my password to something manageable, and it still says incorrect login/password. :(

Edit: I get a "SquareEnix account certification error"

Koala Cola fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 21, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Apparition posted:

I'm about to lose my loving mind. So I bought the game again and added everything to my SquareEnix account, got the random code username for playonline, changed my password to something manageable, and it still says incorrect login/password. :(

At this point call tech support dude

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Apparition posted:

Make sure the pass-word you're saving to the viewer is your PoL password and the password you enter every time you try to log in is your Square-Enix password. If you have a one-time password thing set up, you have to make sure that option is turned on in the viewer and you enter the 6 digit code. If you don't have that, make sure one-time password is shut off.

If you enter your password incorrectly so many times, there's a cooldown period involved. Make sure you have proper ports open and if all that fails, yeah call S-E.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

You guys are amazing for all the help I finally got it all figured out. What server is everyone on?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Apparition posted:

You guys are amazing for all the help I finally got it all figured out. What server is everyone on?

We're on Asura.

If you join our discord, ping me when you get to the bee pollen quest in the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions and I'll throw you the three bee pollen (if it's on the AH) and 500k Gil.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

We're on Asura.

If you join our discord, ping me when you get to the bee pollen quest in the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions and I'll throw you the three bee pollen (if it's on the AH) and 500k Gil.

Good times getting merced in the tunnels under La Theine trying to get to the good Huge Wasp farming sites and then 2 weeks later learning that there's a ramp I missed to go into the valley I wanted to go down into.

Oh well, got my bee pollen ages ago. I think I have some spare to give to newbies/returners too, but I'm not quite as rich.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Tsurupettan posted:

We're on Asura.

oooh can I get a discord link?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

This link should be a perma one and should be put in the OP

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Ibblebibble posted:

Good times getting merced in the tunnels under La Theine trying to get to the good Huge Wasp farming sites and then 2 weeks later learning that there's a ramp I missed to go into the valley I wanted to go down into.

Oh well, got my bee pollen ages ago. I think I have some spare to give to newbies/returners too, but I'm not quite as rich.

lmao I did the same thing with the valley ramp though i ended up farming my pollen without much contest because I was on Phoenix which is dead.

btw my offer is extended to all newbies/fresh characters (that aren't someone's mule/bot alt). If you get to the bee pollen quest just ping me on the discord (same name as on here) and when I am home from work I'll throw you pollen + 500k.

I can also help with the NM at RoV 1-9 if I am around. I'm not turbo geared but I have L99 and 119 ilvl gear which means my trusts will just dump on anything low level for you.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Even for FFXIV the mogstation is way too complicated and confusing, but the FFXI playonline system was really draconian even for its time

And to think they wanted to put more games on it. Thank God that never happened.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Iirc crap for ffix was integrated into playonline, mostly the strategy guide was useless as gently caress and kept telling you to go there. I don't remember if ffx had the same issue.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Iirc crap for ffix was integrated into playonline, mostly the strategy guide was useless as gently caress and kept telling you to go there. I don't remember if ffx had the same issue.

This was mentioned fairly recently in the FF thread. BradyGames wanted to publish an actual useful guide, but they were strong-armed by Squaresoft into stripping it down to encourage the use of PlayOnline. If they hadn't, Squaresoft would have just found another publisher.

From what I recall, FFX's guide didn't have that problem, but playonline.com is shown on the FFX title screen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a release date yet for when Final Fantasy XI changes over to a new game launcher / login client?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I said come in! posted:

Is there a release date yet for when Final Fantasy XI changes over to a new game launcher / login client?

Not that I'm aware of.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Holyshoot posted:

And to think they wanted to put more games on it. Thank God that never happened.

Dirge of Cerberus multiplayer, Fantasy Earth Zero, Front Mission Online and the JP release of EQ2 all ran on the service, though I'm not actually sure if they were in the POL Viewer or just used the account backend. Whichever would be more terrible, I'd assume.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I remember Front Mission Online running through it.
Tetramaster as well for the 5 people who played that.

Odds are slim SE will ever ditch POL for XI if they haven't by now.
Given the dev time required and how small their team is it just doesn't make sense to put effort into it. It's clunky as hell, but it works.

The one change they really should consider is removing a few clicks to login though, just skip right to the play button.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Bought the game on steam for like $9 just to try it out and boy the account setup procedure may actually be the worst I've ever seen. Like PSO2 was easier in Japanese gently caress. Looking forward to seeing what 11 was about.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Haruharuharuko posted:

Bought the game on steam for like $9 just to try it out and boy the account setup procedure may actually be the worst I've ever seen. Like PSO2 was easier in Japanese gently caress. Looking forward to seeing what 11 was about.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/vanareturn/

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I got it thanks! Game is not what I thought but its kind of cool. Is there any way to speed up looting that's really my only gripe.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
I recently contracted brain worms so I decided to download this terrible MMO I've never played before. I just want to kill generic fantasy monsters with other people, that's all. Anyone still playing this relic? Would a private server be better for actually grouping up for lower levels, or worse? Why do I do this to myself?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

zwdzk posted:

I recently contracted brain worms so I decided to download this terrible MMO I've never played before. I just want to kill generic fantasy monsters with other people, that's all. Anyone still playing this relic? Would a private server be better for actually grouping up for lower levels, or worse? Why do I do this to myself?

The game has changed so much in the past 10 years or so and no longer has the leveling slog of endless waiting for groups (since you can just level to 99 fairly quickly with your NPC AI buddies). Because of that, all of the actually-grouping-with-other-people content is all at 99 when the endgame starts. On top of that there's a ton of QoL additions for getting around like a home-point teleport network and better mount system.

So weirdly enough the game is actually kind of fun now since there's a ton of content to experience without having to worry about sacrificing your waking life to be able to level enough to actually do said content. But if you really want the "classic" experience of grouping while leveling you'll probably have to find a private server at this point.

At any rate we have a couple people playing on Asura so feel free to hop on the discord a few posts up and give it a shot.

:siren: ALSO, FRIENDLY THREAD REMINDER :siren:

The Spring Alter Ego Extravaganza ends today so make sure you pick up any Trusts you want from it.

The current login point campaign is ending soon (last points are accrued on June 1st and last day to spend them is June 9th) so if you don't have Shantotto II you'll probably want to pick her up before then, as she's super useful and it will be awhile before she comes back. You may want to pick up as many of the 100-point Trusts as you can as well.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

zwdzk posted:

I came back to FFXI a few weeks ago and I see a lot of new people and returners showing up on the Asura server, but almost no one groups at lower levels. So if you want to group you need to join a private server where they don't have trusts turned on.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

PS: Do not join a private server. They are all hosed and run by terrible people, especially the 2 popular ones, and the insane grind is not worth it.

Casually level to 99 (which is super fast nowadays, even as a newbie) and group at 99. You'll have the most fun that way with a huge mix of solo and group content readily available.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Wow this game is hella fun. It's scratching the itch I had that TLP EQ servers didnt give me. Have three jobs to 15ish and almost have subjobs unlocked. It's nice going into a game knowing almost nothing, especially a game that barely holds your hand.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Holy poo poo I wish I saw this a week ago lol

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Hey fuckers. I want to do a new thread with relevant info for newcomers and old addicts coming back. Post anything here that should go in it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Hey fuckers. I want to do a new thread with relevant info for newcomers and old addicts coming back. Post anything here that should go in it.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide

I would definitely mention the fact that the game's story is finished after the release of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel. RoV missions intertwine with all the other missions in the game and grant excellent permanent bonuses, primarily EXP gains, so those should be completed ASAP.

Also this:

keep it down up there! posted:

PS: Do not join a private server. They are all hosed and run by terrible people, especially the 2 popular ones, and the insane grind is not worth it.

Casually level to 99 (which is super fast nowadays, even as a newbie) and group at 99. You'll have the most fun that way with a huge mix of solo and group content readily available.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
We also need a new and equally terrible thread title.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

keep it down up there! posted:

Yeah, this seems to be the consensus after doing a little more research. From what people have said, the oldschool style grouping still exists, just for harder end game content which is cool with me and really what I'm looking for.

Anyway, went ahead and made a new character on Asura. I don't know what it is about this game in particular, but the graphics, the music, and the world all just do it for me. Also, the PlayOnline update music by itself is a better experience than 90% of other MMOs I've played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmdr-xVZmHk

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

zwdzk posted:

Yeah, this seems to be the consensus after doing a little more research. From what people have said, the oldschool style grouping still exists, just for harder end game content which is cool with me and really what I'm looking for.

Anyway, went ahead and made a new character on Asura. I don't know what it is about this game in particular, but the graphics, the music, and the world all just do it for me. Also, the PlayOnline update music by itself is a better experience than 90% of other MMOs I've played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmdr-xVZmHk

I actually really like all the PlayOnline music

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

zwdzk posted:

Also, the PlayOnline update music by itself is a better experience than 90% of other MMOs I've played.

I'm a shallow idiot but square's focus on nailing presentation and style killed my chances of ever playing a non 11/14 MMO because all the other ones are ugly and make bad noises. Even the base content, low texture res aside, is still pretty good looking in 2019 which is nuts for an MMO this old

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
How many people are there in the goon linkshell?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

i dunno the technical term for it, but 11 has always had a real nice "colour scheme" (palette??) so even though the textures are lowres, they still look real nice.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

Make sure the two wiki links are in it. They are invaluable for figuring some poo poo out. And sometimes one will have the correct info when the other is wrong. Do note only bg-wiki is being updated though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Apparition posted:

I actually really like all the PlayOnline music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkVv4pJqNc

Hit me with the nostalgia right in the veins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

megalodong posted:

i dunno the technical term for it, but 11 has always had a real nice "colour scheme" (palette??) so even though the textures are lowres, they still look real nice.

Its got amazing art direction yeah. The technical level of the engine is about on par with FFX, PS2-era. But they definitely used everything they learned from FFX, the models just look really good for how low-poly they are.

And the textures look real clean and nice. I thought for years and years that FFXI still looked better than modern WoW, although I think with the last engine update they finally got about on par. FFXIV blows WoW out of the water, of course.