Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Saoshyant posted:

Man, I was curious, but the actual reviews of the game describe it as awful, so goddamn awful. I hope you like kusoge.

I won't be the one playing it, so if it's bad that's fine. I'm just going along for the ride.

Dolphin's netplay is apparently flawless and someone in the Smash thread said that playing Smash on Dolphin is more responsive than Nintendo's online for Smash Ultimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

American McGay posted:

Slightly related, but Dolphin's advancements in net play technology are really promising lately. Turn based stuff works flawlessly and it's getting to the point where lots of stuff is extremely playable.

The live host change thing they showed off with Mario Golf GC the other month was incredibly smart and cool.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I played a 3-way tourney with some buddies in Toadstool Tour and it was flawless.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Nds-card.com has the sketchiest website I've ever seen. It wont let you use paypal, and it wont take visa. Even though it says it does. How are you supposed to buy anything on there?

I guess I should get a prepaid mastercard, but those dont have any buyer protection i dont think...

EDIT so there is a paypal option, but even that is sketchy as gently caress. Nope. there has to be an easier way to get a legit R4i Gold 3DS Plus, anyone have another site they recommend to get a legit card?

Bonobos fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 26, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bonobos posted:

Nds-card.com has the sketchiest website I've ever seen. It wont let you use paypal, and it wont take visa. Even though it says it does. How are you supposed to buy anything on there?

I guess I should get a prepaid mastercard, but those dont have any buyer protection i dont think...

I've used PayPal with them multiple times. I believe you have to email them after making an order before you PayPal them. It's sketchy but they've come through with relatively fast shipping the 3 times I've used them.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
I can also vouch, about a year and a half ago I bought from them and thought they seemed all kinds of sketchy, but it's legit, just a weird way of doing business.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

It's because they're circumventing either:
a) PayPal transaction fees
or
b) Any anti-piracy regulations that PayPal may or may not freeze transfers over

...and either way, you're there to get access to the entire NES, SNES, SGEN, GBC, GBA, NDS and 3DS library for :20bux:

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
http://www.modchipsdirect.com/r4i-gold-3ds-plus.html

I bought from this place. They ship from the US. Only thing sketchy is your card gets charged by a console repair place and the invoice says "woodplus"

Shipping was $5 I think.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bank posted:

and the invoice says "woodplus"

Did you buy an R4? There's a custom kernel for it just called Wood R4.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did you buy an R4? There's a custom kernel for it just called Wood R4.

I did, and installed that. I mean, I know why they call it something else, just thought they could have used a bit more (or less?) creativity when naming it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bonobos posted:

EDIT so there is a paypal option, but even that is sketchy as gently caress. Nope. there has to be an easier way to get a legit R4i Gold 3DS Plus, anyone have another site they recommend to get a legit card?

I've ordered from them twice, it's legit. For legal reasons, they can't tell paypal that they are selling these cards. I'm guessing credit card companies won't do business with them for the same reason.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I’m only concerned since I don’t have any buyer protection if I buy through PayPal, using their method. Considering their free shipping has no tracking #, it’s legit concerning I will be out $20. That and well identity theft.

What shipping method did you guys pick for the us? Is the tracking # the only difference between the free and $2 option?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Alright, so I got my WiiU mostly set up, now it's time to hack my 3ds and 2ds. There's a sale on 128gb cards right now. I'm guessing that's plenty of space. Any reason to up it or go smaller? I plan on using injection for my favorite games, but throwing emulators and complete sets on it to pick up and play whatever random game I read about.

I also have a bunch of old DS flashcards I can use them for the DS games once I hack the 3ds even if they aren't fancy enough to do the ntrboot off of them, right?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

RodShaft posted:

Alright, so I got my WiiU mostly set up, now it's time to hack my 3ds and 2ds. There's a sale on 128gb cards right now. I'm guessing that's plenty of space. Any reason to up it or go smaller? I plan on using injection for my favorite games, but throwing emulators and complete sets on it to pick up and play whatever random game I read about.

I also have a bunch of old DS flashcards I can use them for the DS games once I hack the 3ds even if they aren't fancy enough to do the ntrboot off of them, right?

Some work well, some don't. My old CycloDS never worked reliably with the 3DS.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RodShaft posted:

Can't find it now, but somebody in either this or maybe the romhacking thread was saying the entire library for every 2D system fits in a laughably small space. I'm sure Google can tell you just how much you could possibly need.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I'll just use a 32 gig I have laying around, and move it to the 2DS if I run low on space.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Just FYI if you have a DSi lying around, the scene found an exploit in the camera so you can install CFW and run home brew and roms

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How I, a bogart, who has installed cfw on my nu2ds, play DS games on it?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 28, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the best method is still just get a flash cart and put DS games on that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

I think the best method is still just get a flash cart and put DS games on that.

Fair enough. What's the recommended one?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

If you want to get a flashcart,

The Big Word posted:

R4i Gold 3DS Plus is probably the best it's ever gonna get
But before you go ahead and get that, depending on the games you wanna play you might not actually need one

The Big Word posted:

Look up Twilight Menu.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah. Twilight menu was as far as I got in research, but it seems like you can’t save games on it, which would sort of defeat the point of playing the castlevanias and Pokémon’s.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Saving definitely works for most games, and there are patches for at least some of the problem cases. iirc there's some funny stuff like you can't have spaces/parentheses/special characters in rom/save filenames. Compatibility list says all the Castlevanias and mainline Pokemon games are working 100% now so you should be good to go!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E2M2 posted:

Just FYI if you have a DSi lying around, the scene found an exploit in the camera so you can install CFW and run home brew and roms

Is there a link/guide for this yet? I have a dsi with no Flipnote on it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If you missed it, there's a new firmware update for the 3DS in the year of our lord Arceus 2019. Reports say it's safe to update if you're on recent CFW, but I think I'll wait a day or two just to be on safe side.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I answered my own question, the camera hack has already been added to https://dsi.cfw.guide/

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

RodShaft posted:

FWIW I have a 128gb card in my 3ds and it's full (of 3ds titles, Gameboy and SNES injections don't take up much space). I'm a hoarder though and have most of the games I could ever want, but when (if) something new comes out I have to erase something and manage the space. If you like to have "all" the games you could want in one place maybe grab a 200gb when they go on sale?

Also, I inherited a nice RVL-001 Wii after my launch model recently died. It's a black one which apparently came a bit later and isn't prone to the issues of the first run units. I love it and the picture quality seems less dim, and hardly any of the weird artifacting and garbage noise my old one displayed.

I've beefed up my collection though and need to format and repartition my wbfs drive for more space.
Is it as simple as backing up the folders, using Wii Backup Manager or something to format a new wbfs partition, and then putting everything back on?
I'm mostly concerned about Nintendont saves for my GameCube stuff (virtual memory card) since my Wii saves can be backed up to SD on the system menu.
Edit: apparently my drive partition was FAT32, with a wbfs folder. It's been a while so I forgot how this works. I will try extending my partition first to take up the rest of the drive, and failing that I'll do a fresh format/partition and try to drag stuff back over and see what happens before converting my new ISOs to wbfs files.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 30, 2019

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Pegnose Pete posted:

FWIW I have a 128gb card in my 3ds and it's full (of 3ds titles, Gameboy and SNES injections don't take up much space). I'm a hoarder though and have most of the games I could ever want, but when (if) something new comes out I have to erase something and manage the space. If you like to have "all" the games you could want in one place maybe grab a 200gb when they go on sale?

Thanks. After going through the list of 3ds titles, there's way less than I thought that I would ever want to play. I grabbed a 128gigger for $15. I decided to wait till it comes to mod it since the kids are out of school and I'm getting nothing done around here till they go on vacation in a few days.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

RodShaft posted:

Thanks. After going through the list of 3ds titles, there's way less than I thought that I would ever want to play. I grabbed a 128gigger for $15. I decided to wait till it comes to mod it since the kids are out of school and I'm getting nothing done around here till they go on vacation in a few days.

Cool! I have a kid on the way and I'm trying to finish all my hacking projects now because I doubt I'll have the time or patience soon.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Cool fun fact: a 400GB SD card can fit the entire DS and GBA library on it and a 128GB one can fit the entire US DS and US GBA libraries with about 15GB to spare, so you could pop compressed versions of the entire SNES catalog on it too.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Cool fun fact: a 400GB SD card can fit the entire DS and GBA library on it and a 128GB one can fit the entire US DS and US GBA libraries with about 15GB to spare, so you could pop compressed versions of the entire SNES catalog on it too.

At a certain point of installs (around 100 I’d guess), the 3DS can just start taking huge amounts of time to respond to home button or app close requests. It’s weird, random, and probably the best reason to not digitally hoard on it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I run a DSlite and put all the GBA stuff on a krikzz drive to also handle GB and GBC. It's worth the money.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Crackbone posted:

At a certain point of installs (around 100 I’d guess), the 3DS can just start taking huge amounts of time to respond to home button or app close requests. It’s weird, random, and probably the best reason to not digitally hoard on it.

Oh for sure. I just load everything on my DS Lite though. Have everything nested into alphabetical folders split by game library.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Crackbone posted:

That's just if you inject them, right? Just like the 4 3ds games I want plus Retroarch should be fine?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

RodShaft posted:

That's just if you inject them, right? Just like the 4 3ds games I want plus Retroarch should be fine?

Yeah, you’ll be fine. He was (I’m assuming) talking more on if I were to install every DS game as a title - which would put me at over 7000 separate boxes.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I have over 100 3DS titles on my unit I think (haven't counted in a while) and while it takes a couple second longer to load the homescreen (even with alphabetical folders) it doesn't really bother me as the games themselves load just fine.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

RodShaft posted:

Correct, just actual installed titles.

Although side note don't use Retroarch, it blows goats on the 3ds. The standalone NES/PCE/GEN/SNES emus are way better.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I have over 100 3DS titles on my unit I think (haven't counted in a while) and while it takes a couple second longer to load the homescreen (even with alphabetical folders) it doesn't really bother me as the games themselves load just fine.

It's fairly random for length of delay and when it "flares up". I had ~150 on mine at one point and it would take 15+ seconds to exit out from a home button press. Not all the time but enough to make me think maybe I should cleanup.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Correct, just actual installed titles.

Although side note don't use Retroarch, it blows goats on the 3ds. The standalone NES/PCE/GEN/SNES emus are way better.

It's fairly random for length of delay and when it "flares up". I had ~150 on mine at one point and it would take 15+ seconds to exit out from a home button press. Not all the time but enough to make me think maybe I should cleanup.

Is there a platform where retroarch doesn't blow goats?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Aside from saving money on a flashcart, what are the advantages of DSi CFW? I have a plethora of flashcarts from years before and I can’t really imagine what a CFW could add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Andrast posted:

Is there a platform where retroarch doesn't blow goats?

No.