Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Well, thanks for the education on the tender story. The 4014 tender appeared to be shorter, but whatever. Not that big a deal.

Anyway, this will be my last posting of videos. Youtube is flooding on them and while I'm enjoying them, I'm gonna let our fellow goon who went out to chase them share he/her videos of it.

I've gotten some pretty fantastic shots so far. I can't share them yet as I don't have a laptop beefy enough to edit 4k footage, but here are a couple snapshots to wet your appetite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I've gotten some pretty fantastic shots so far. I can't share them yet as I don't have a laptop beefy enough to edit 4k footage, but here are a couple snapshots to wet your appetite.

Quoting this mostly so I can find that first one again. Amazing.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Thanks to this thread I realized oh poo poo, I work near Ogden so I am heading out to try to find a spot along the tracks out by Morgan. I wonder how busy it'll be.

https://youtu.be/Xudh8KWvGRg

It was pretty awesome.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 8, 2019

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Found this video, little Snow Action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XI0q5BOC_s

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I got several good pacing shots today, including one in the brief snowfall between Evanston and Castle Rock. Video will be coming, but for now here's a snapshot of two horses racing two iron horses.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 9, 2019

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

I got several good pacing shots today, including one in the brief snowfall between Evanston and Castle Rock. Video will be coming, but for now here's a snapshot of two horses racing two iron horses.

That is an amazing shot!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The Flying Scotsman is going to get banned from its exhibition trips because too many idiots are trespassing on the lines to get their photos and going to get themselves killed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-48229400

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There was a ton of that going on with the Big Boy the first day heading back East out of Ogden. Dozens of people trespassing on the tracks. Saw whole families with little kids walking between the rails on the active mainline. I also filmed a woman nearly getting hit by the Big Boy because she was standing too close to the tracks filming on her cellphone. It was nearly a repeat of the woman hit by 844 last year.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
This video about a virtual train you can buy(?) spends a lot of time talking about the history and economics of articulated locomotives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gifz9IcwrPs

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Looks like it's a free mod for Transport Fever https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1740844354 While looking for it I also found this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1741620392

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPjPAxeYTU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cops can be bad at crossing safety too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3viwYTZuM2s

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cool snuff film, bro!

:c00l:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Jesus, that one made me flinch. Good to hear they made a full recovery. though.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Cool snuff film, bro!

:c00l:

As JuffoWup stated, he survived.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Choo choo motherfuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BbPUK6VWsE

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

At the 50s mark. Is that a covered wagon on the hill? Didn't think you'd see one being used anymore.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What a god dang magnificent machine.

I have a couple questions...

1) Who comes up with the consist? Heck this had to be an oddball one.

2) And how is oil delivered from the tender?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

At the 50s mark. Is that a covered wagon on the hill? Didn't think you'd see one being used anymore.

I'm pretty sure it was. I have no idea why it was there. Maybe someone planned way ahead to pose an interesting shot, but even when the big boy was in service it would have been an anachronism so I doubt it.

Colostomy Bag posted:

1) If you're talking about the locomotives, the original plan was to have 844 and 4014 run separately to Ogden, then doublehead back to Cheyenne. In the end they were so late getting 4014 running that they skipped the separate trip for 844 and doubleheaded it in both directions. The diesel was there primarily to provide compliance with PTC, since it would be quite difficult to fit out a steam locomotive for it. That said, UP has run diesels in their steam consists since long before PTC was a requirement so that if the steamer had a problem they could still move the train.

2) I don't know, but I do know that the tender came off of 3985, as they didn't have time to convert the big boy's tender. They were almost identical anyway, and 3985's tender was converted to oil back in the 70's.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 24, 2019

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

1) The previous poster was correct about the change is plans for the consist, but the diesel wasn't there to provide PTC compliance. A consist is only PTC compliant if the leading locomotive is PTC compliant, which 4014 is not. Diesel locomotives in steam powered consists are usually there to provide insurance that this train can get the hell out of the way quickly in case the steam locomotive fails. In addition, they can be used to provide dynamic braking and propulsion if necessary. In the case of such equipped locomotives, like any excursion train with an Amtrak locomotive behind the steam, they can provide head end power for electricity on the passenger cars.

2) In short, the locomotive had a pump onboard that transports the oil from the tender to the firebox.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tex Avery posted:

2) In short, the locomotive had a pump onboard that transports the oil from the tender to the firebox.

I choose to assume the Fireman just has a giant ladle instead of a shovel and will not be dissuaded otherwise :colbert:.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I have seen videos of the 3985 and 844 pulling freight without a diesel in tow. My understanding for this setup, the diesel is there for not only dynamic braking, but also just rides along with some braking applied. Passenger cars are fairly light compared to the freight cars the bigboy was built to haul. So to keep her under some control, some other way was needed to mimic the pull of 50+ freight cars.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

I have seen videos of the 3985 and 844 pulling freight without a diesel in tow. My understanding for this setup, the diesel is there for not only dynamic braking, but also just rides along with some braking applied. Passenger cars are fairly light compared to the freight cars the bigboy was built to haul. So to keep her under some control, some other way was needed to mimic the pull of 50+ freight cars.

I heard a lot of speculation from various railfans on the trip. Some said they were occasionally running the dynamics to make the steamers work harder, while others said the diesel was pulling to avoid putting too much strain on the newly restored 4014.

One thing that was fairly obvious however was that the rear engine on 4014 wasn't running at full pressure. You never see any steam coming from the rear cylinders, whereas there was always steam coming from the front cylinders and the cylinders on 844. They had to be receiving some steam though as it is essential for lubrication.

Unrelated fun fact: they overbored the cylinders on 4014 as part of the rebuild process to clean up wear. They were originally 23 3/4" and were overbored to 24". The markings on the cab were updated accordingly. Technically that makes 4014 around 2% more powerful than it was in service.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 25, 2019

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
There was no steam coming from the rear cylinders because they applied the packing around the cylinders properly. The forward cylinders had a small leak since the packing was installed with just a few little gaps. It's not enough to impact their operations, but enough to let that visible steam escape. The forward and rear engines are not independently controlled; if steam is going to one, it's going to the other.

The diesel locomotive was used to apply dynamic braking at some points to simulate a heavier load simply to help break in 4014. It's not that hard to control with a lighter than usual train.

Tex Avery fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 25, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are the cylinders on 4014 arranged with a high and low cylinder on each drive rod, or is one set of wheels using high pressure steam and the other low pressure?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The big boys are simple articulateds, that means they only use the steam once. All four cylinders are fed high pressure steam. A "mallet" style compound articulated locomotive feeds high pressure steam to the rear cylinders, which then exhaust into larger low pressure front cylinders. The sizes of the cylinders are balanced so that both sets produce the same amount of power, despite the drop in steam pressure. Compound locomotives are more efficient, however the large low pressure cylinders result in a lot of reciprocating mass. As a result most compound articulated locomotives were slower than simple articulateds.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 26, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ahhh, thanks. Pictures and video of it are simple to find, but a steam schematic was surprisingly not.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Let me know if you get tired of me posting these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsZ-svWPbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAklf_KxHq4

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Love these videos. We have Big Boy 4017 pretty close in a museum here, it's in amazing shape and you can go hang out in it, the scale is unreal. I don't think they ever run theirs though :(

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Literally no one runs a Big Boy except UP. There's seven others surviving in various museums in the US, and they're all stuffed and mounted.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah, it took the UP 5 years and 4 million dollars to restore 4014 to operating condition. Despite being the only US railroad with an active steam program and having restored a Challenger (3985), most railfans never thought UP would restore a Big Boy, simply due to the size of the undertaking.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, it took the UP 5 years and 4 million dollars to restore 4014 to operating condition. Despite being the only US railroad with an active steam program and having restored a Challenger (3985), most railfans never thought UP would restore a Big Boy, simply due to the size of the undertaking.

The timing is very advantageous. UP, and virtually all other Class I’s, are aggressively cutting costs this year.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Wasn't there also some worry of the bigboy's downward strike force being enough to bend even today's rails?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

George Zimmer posted:

The timing is very advantageous. UP, and virtually all other Class I’s, are aggressively cutting costs this year.

Yeah... "Precision Scheduled Railroading". That's never going to bite anyone in the rear end.

JuffoWup posted:

Wasn't there also some worry of the bigboy's downward strike force being enough to bend even today's rails?

Unlikely, it shouldn't be any worse than the 844, which has larger heavier side rods even if they don't turn quite as fast.

Also, more train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQdoISXDLE

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 4, 2019

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Yeah... "Precision Scheduled Railroading". That's never going to bite anyone in the rear end.

Look what they did to Mussolini

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

But hey, you can totally keep maintenance up with a fraction of the time!

And everyone else is copying that bullshit. Oh well.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

The several shots of horses running in the fields on either side of the tracks are really something special. Thanks for sharing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stupid question: the black car behind each locomotive, with seven axles and UNION PACIFIC on the side, is the tender, right? So what's the yellow car behind that? Just more oil/water?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Stupid question: the black car behind each locomotive, with seven axles and UNION PACIFIC on the side, is the tender, right? So what's the yellow car behind that? Just more oil/water?

That is the water tank, yeah. The tenders are the oil tankers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

So originally the Big Boys were coal fired. They converted 4014 to run on oil for various reasons (logistics, line-side fires, etc) but the forward part of the 7 axle tender was a bunker that held coal with a mechanical stoker screw running along the bottom to carry coal from the tender to the firebox of the locomotive. The rear portion holds water, and the coal bunker was converted into an oil tank which holds used motor oil. As JuffoWup said the yellow tenders are water tanks to extend the range they can go before they need to pick up more water, however they were converted from bunker C fuel oil tenders which were originally built for the UP's gas turbine locomotives. Bunker C fuel oil is roughly the consistency of tar at normal temperatures, so the tenders originally had steam heating lines in them to melt the oil so that it could be pumped into the turbine.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 4, 2019