Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Blast Fantasto posted:

Bummer because the cast is pretty great too. Martin Freeman, Sam Rockwell, Alan Rickman are all pretty dead on

Especially Rickman :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

Bummer because the cast is pretty great too. Martin Freeman, Sam Rockwell, Alan Rickman are all pretty dead on

It's too late but I always thought the cast of Peepshow would have been good for Hitchhikers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the cast of Darkplace would be good for Hitchhikers

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Babe Magnet posted:

Matt Berry would be an excellent Zaphod

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

Matt Berry would be an excellent Zaphod

True.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Matt Berry instantly turns whatever character he plays into Matt Berry, which is almost always an upgrade.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Krinkle posted:

The would do like 90% of a segment from the book word for word, just absolutely delighting me, and then not do the punchline. You would not believe how frustrating it is to see them decide the punchline is a thing that could be tossed out.

That's the most British thing I have ever heard.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Matt Berry instantly turns whatever character he plays into Matt Berry, which is almost always an upgrade.

One track lover is peak human performance

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Babe Magnet posted:

Part of me thinks that Richard Ayoade would be a great Arthur because he'd be good at seeming put-upon and flustered...but I wonder if he's not bland enough.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy makes me angry. We finally get a big budget adaption and it’s so...bland, that it kills the trilogy in its crib. It’ll be another generation before its attempted again.

There should be a do-over requirement for any beloved property that film makers gently caress up the first time.

The movie got me into the rest of the franchise as a teen, no regrets. It's a shame that Douglas died before he could see it though :(

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Patattack posted:

Part of me thinks that Richard Ayoade would be a great Arthur because he'd be good at seeming put-upon and flustered...but I wonder if he's not bland enough.

oh poo poo ayoade as dent would be amazing

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And Noel Fielding as Ford. Because there's at least an 80% chance that he is actually an alien visiting our world.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm one of the weirdos that both loves the books and thought the movie was pretty good.

I have a high tolerance for adaptations, though. After all, if you want something exactly like the book, just go read the book.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like the movie enough because I just look at it through the lens of "this is just another iteration of the story" since every version has been tweaked in its own way.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I really wish they'd stop doing adaptations. Can't a good book stay a good book?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Screaming Idiot posted:

I really wish they'd stop doing adaptations. Can't a good book stay a good book?

The value of a book is not lessened by a poor adaptation.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Except when you can't see the characters as physically anything other than their movie actors.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sounds like a personal problem.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Welcome to the dawn of motion pictures

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It didn't even start as a book, the radio series came years earlier

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

It's too late but I always thought the cast of Peepshow would have been good for Hitchhikers.
Martin Freeman was a great choice for Arthur but holy poo poo yes, Mitchell as Arthur and Webb as Ford would be amazing.

Noel Fielding I'm seeing more as Zaphod than Ford.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Noel Fielding is an awful choice. He'd just gurn through the whole thing with his stupid twee nonsense. He's far too deliberately quirky. A lot of the fun of hitchhiker is how Ford and Zaphod just roll with the weirdness, because that's normal for them. Fielding would spend the whole time winking at the camera.

Mos Def I thought was legit great as Ford though. Absolutely inspired casting

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Noel Fielding is an awful choice. He'd just gurn through the whole thing with his stupid twee nonsense. He's far too deliberately quirky. A lot of the fun of hitchhiker is how Ford and Zaphod just roll with the weirdness, because that's normal for them. Fielding would spend the whole time winking at the camera.

I feel like you could have Noel Fielding play nearly every single alien outside of the central cast and we'd be fine, though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah he's be a good vogon.

Also I can't believe you guys didn't mention Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast being one of the few good things from the banal barely average movie.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
John Mulaney as Ford.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

packetmantis posted:

John Mulaney as Ford.

Oh my god. That's a pretty stellar idea.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now I want HHGTTG as a podcast.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And a Subtle Movie Moment to boot. In Ford's unexpurgated entry on the Earth he writes that the first thing any alien visitor should do while acclimatising is go to New York and work as a cab driver, because nobody will care what you look like if you can speak English. Movie Ford evidently learned by experience, because (being played by Brooklyn-born Mos Def) he has the accent.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
In fact I think the only misstep in the whole core cast of the HHGTTG movie was Zooey Deschanel, who wasn't bad, but didn't really resemble the Trillian I remembered from the books. Mos Def was unexpected but great, Martin Freeman was spot-on, Sam Rockwell played it differently than I pictured but sold it perfectly, Alan Rickman was spot-on, Bill Nighy was (and always is) very enjoyable...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Don’t get me wrong, I liked the HHGTTG alright. The casting was great, but the adaption just seemed underwhelming. It would have been an alright start to a trilogy if they worked out the kinks, but since it didn’t make any money they stopped right there.

I need to just play the text game and forget there ever was a movie.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inzombiac posted:

The value of a book is not lessened by a poor adaptation.

I always felt it was an uncreative way for Hollywood to avoid taking risks on new properties by dumbing down and carving away the charm and uniqueness that made the original thing worth watching.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Now I want HHGTTG as a podcast.

It sort of already was, it was a radio show.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NtotheTC posted:

It sort of already was, it was a radio show.

I know. I just think that if it's done again that a Podcast is the best format for it. Though I suppose streaming services like netflix, et al, could also do it some service. It's just not suited to a movie. It takes a lot more time than that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We got s Dirk Gently TV series. Surely the rights to HHGTTG aren’t so mucked up that we can’t get a Hitchhiker series too. Starz managed to beat that Evil Dead horse for 4 seasons. Just think what they could do with 3 Douglas Adams books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Patattack posted:

In fact I think the only misstep in the whole core cast of the HHGTTG movie was Zooey Deschanel, who wasn't bad, but didn't really resemble the Trillian I remembered from the books.

She looks a poo poo-ton more like book Trillian than Sandra Dickinson. Sue Sheridan too, for that matter, although of course that didn't matter until the Live Radio Show 30-odd years later.

I don't know if a H2G2 show would work now, though. The humour is fine, but the Guide itself is a hopelessly antiquated concept now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

The humour is fine, but the Guide itself is a hopelessly antiquated concept now.

Just make it space yelpipedia. And the reason Earth got cut down to 'harmless' is deletionists. Done.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jedit posted:

the Guide itself is a hopelessly antiquated concept now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Wafer posted:

Just think what they could do with 3 Douglas Adams books.

Five books. :ssh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And they don’t get bad* until the fifth one!

*well, I still didn’t mind it, but it’s definitely way less good than the other 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are we not counting Eoin Colfers book? Because there's absolutely a 6th. I haven't read it but I've bought it from 50 cent book bins twice.

I forgot I bought it the first time