Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Weaponized Cum posted:

A channel with MTV Next reruns? Sick

If they put up old Singled Out and Loveline episodes I'll be so happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I wonder if those Beavis and Butthead episodes will have the music videos.

Which reminds me, why are they not launching an 80's/90's music video channel on Pluto. Seems like a no-brainer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
No mention of The Adventures of Pete and Pete :argh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just want some Sifl and Ollie

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Our U-Verse bill is getting outrageous and it looks like Hulu is the best fit to meet all our needs so giving it a trial...

This is probably a stupid question but is the any integration of profiles? I can't seem to find it. For obvious reasons I share a lot of the same taste in TV as my husband but not all, it seems silly to add our shared entertainment to two different profiles, remember which is which or create a shared profile for just stuff we both like.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Three Olives posted:

Our U-Verse bill is getting outrageous and it looks like Hulu is the best fit to meet all our needs so giving it a trial...

This is probably a stupid question but is the any integration of profiles? I can't seem to find it. For obvious reasons I share a lot of the same taste in TV as my husband but not all, it seems silly to add our shared entertainment to two different profiles, remember which is which or create a shared profile for just stuff we both like.

There's profiles. My wife and I have one and we gave her parents another that they never use.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
There isn’t a way to combine them that I know of, my wife and I have the same problem.

Only work around I could find was using the TV app on the Apple TV to watch what’s next.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Oquendo posted:

I wonder if those Beavis and Butthead episodes will have the music videos.

Watching now - they do not

It appears they're just airing whatever was on the Mike Judge Collection DVD set from years ago in order (the description even says "Mike Judge Collection Episode 2")

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

EugeneJ posted:

Watching now - they do not

It appears they're just airing whatever was on the Mike Judge Collection DVD set from years ago in order (the description even says "Mike Judge Collection Episode 2")

The complete unedited version of B&B is floating around the internet. “King turd collection” IIRC

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry for asking a cable question in a thread that's against cable, but I'm not aware of a better place to ask and I'm presuming people here left cable because they went through a lot of things with the companies so probably know a fair amount.

I need to get Comcast to change the account out of my wifes name, and am wondering if they'll do the usual thing of seeing this as an excuse to slap me with another 2 year contract. I'm also hoping to renegotiate the deal we're on because $165 in total gets me a pretty basic tier (140 channels, but below things like NFL/NHL Network etc) and decent internet. Although maybe I should wait until after the hockey playoffs as I won't be watching poo poo outside of OTA stuff until hockey season starts again, and I might just then get whatever subscription service is easiest enough to trick into letting me see my local team.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FCKGW posted:

I've been watching a ton of the Gordan Ramsey channel on Pluto lately but holy poo poo they play the exact same Mazda commercial every single commercial break. The exact same slow version of a Cranberries song repeated 5 -7 times an hour, over and over and over. For fucks sake let me pay you money and get rid of ads!

I remember Hulu was like this back when it launched. When my wife and I were originally going through Arrested Development on Hulu, they had this McDonald's commercial that, for whatever reason, had a guy saying, "Every job...should have a tip jar." And it played on every commercial break, without fail. It played so many times, it's synonymous with that show for me and has become a running joke with the wife and I.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Apparently YouTube is putting their original content like Cobra Kai up for free with ads, will no longer require buying whatever their YouTube Premium service is called anymore.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

FCKGW posted:

I've been watching a ton of the Gordan Ramsey channel on Pluto lately but holy poo poo they play the exact same Mazda commercial every single commercial break. The exact same slow version of a Cranberries song repeated 5 -7 times an hour, over and over and over. For fucks sake let me pay you money and get rid of ads!

NHL.tv does this and I pay for it! Not only will they run the same ads every break, they'll run them repeatedly during the same break.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Luceo posted:

NHL.tv does this and I pay for it! Not only will they run the same ads every break, they'll run them repeatedly during the same break.

mlb.tv does this too. It's why I finally stopped paying for it and using a pirate stream instead. The ads were infuriating.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

thrawn527 posted:

I remember Hulu was like this back when it launched. When my wife and I were originally going through Arrested Development on Hulu, they had this McDonald's commercial that, for whatever reason, had a guy saying, "Every job...should have a tip jar." And it played on every commercial break, without fail. It played so many times, it's synonymous with that show for me and has become a running joke with the wife and I.

For my wife and I, it is a SiriusXM commercial we heard all the time about Sunsetter Retractable Awnings where a person keeps saying “tell’em about the discount Harry”. All it takes is for me to say that and my wife will respond with “gently caress those awnings”.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Hulu app on XBMC that allowed you to set the ad count to -1 and skip all the repetitive crap was the best.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sorry for asking a cable question in a thread that's against cable, but I'm not aware of a better place to ask and I'm presuming people here left cable because they went through a lot of things with the companies so probably know a fair amount.

I need to get Comcast to change the account out of my wifes name, and am wondering if they'll do the usual thing of seeing this as an excuse to slap me with another 2 year contract. I'm also hoping to renegotiate the deal we're on because $165 in total gets me a pretty basic tier (140 channels, but below things like NFL/NHL Network etc) and decent internet. Although maybe I should wait until after the hockey playoffs as I won't be watching poo poo outside of OTA stuff until hockey season starts again, and I might just then get whatever subscription service is easiest enough to trick into letting me see my local team.

Cancel your wife's account, sign up in your name. Assuming you count as new customer, you get all the deals again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not the worst idea, to be honest. My only concern is if they need a credit check, because due to immigrant status and the way credit works here I’m pretty non existent. Obviously this affects both taking over her account or making a new one.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

My only concern is if they need a credit check, because due to immigrant status and the way credit works here I’m pretty non existent

By any chance is taking on this account a means of establishing a credit history?

If so: likely they'll allow it anyway, especially if you pay a deposit of 1mo fees

If not or you're uncomfortable with that: it may be better to leave the account in your wife's name and just pay the bill?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I already pay the bill I’m just going through the process of moving everything over to my name as she passed away and I just think it’s probably not a great idea having things in her name anymore. At worst I’ll probably go to Comcast with my mother in law and have it transferred to her with me as full access (I already had web access but apparently that doesn’t count for talking to them as I’ve discovered before). Credit building would be nice for sure*.

The box broke down completely last night anyway so a trip is needed anyway it seems. Looks like the graphical glitches I’ve been seeing over the last few months weren’t a case of a crappy signal after all.

(* I’ve never been able to get a credit report, so I called Social Security to get to the bottom of it. They say Equifax has a hold on my account so it can’t be read. I speak to Equifax to ask them to release it, they tell me because I don’t have a file they can’t release a hold. So I need to build credit to do this, and even the usual methods I’ve seen of having a secured loan or CC require the lock to be lifted first. So constant catch 22. I’m sure I’ll be worked out eventually and it’s a pain that being the sole person on the electrical bill, even after putting down a 3 month deposit a few years ago, appears to have done jack poo poo. I have great credit back home but that doesn’t mean anything here alas, even though we use the same reporting agencies.)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Amex Blue Cash will be offering 6% back on Streaming services

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/amex-blue-cash-preferred-streaming-transit-bonus-categories/

quote:

Starting May 9, 2019, the card will offer the following additional rewards categories — on top of its existing rewards at U.S. supermarkets and U.S. gas stations — with no changes to its $95 annual fee:
Earn an unlimited 6% cash back on eligible streaming services. This includes Hulu, Netflix, Spotify and Pandora.

I am also getting 15% back (up to $10) on SlingTV until July 15th through my Amex Offers

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Hulu app on XBMC that allowed you to set the ad count to -1 and skip all the repetitive crap was the best.

I miss the days of getting around stuff like that being that simple

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Well I called this morning to cancel U-Verse TV and I almost, almost felt bad for the guy, he sounded so dejected. "Leaving for Hulu? Yep, yep, makes sense, sorry to see you go."

And the thing is, I didn't even really want to switch and retrain my husband how to use the TVs but surely management has to be realizing that they are not even remotely competitive price wise.

We are not making any compromises switching over to Hulu, if anything the UX is a significant improvement and I'll have to do the math but with all the taxes and fees but we will be saving around $80 a month with Hulu.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hear Kodi simplifies this even more

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You can definitely see internet only plans on Comcast. It's rear end backwards designed but it's definitely there

Old post but here's what shows up when I select Internet only:

A large ad for a bundle package and "0 internet offers" in tiny print.

Comcast has gigabit in my area now but only advertises it in $160/mo. packages with the top-tier TV service. I'm curious if they even offer the internet subscription by itself.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 26, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fallom posted:

Old post but here's what shows up when I select Internet only:

A large ad for a bundle package and "0 internet offers" in tiny print.

Comcast has gigabit in my area now but only advertises it in $160/mo. packages with the top-tier TV service. I'm curious if they even offer the internet subscription by itself.

Their website is poo poo for that. You have to actually call in to get the prices and switch to Internet only.

I don't know where you live, but I'm getting 300 down and 30 up for that price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you google “<isp> rate card” you can usually get a pdf or table with all the rates and information, including basic cable and low income internet rates that aren’t advertised on their site.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

If you google “<isp> rate card” you can usually get a pdf or table with all the rates and information, including basic cable and low income internet rates that aren’t advertised on their site.

You have to sign in for that. Comcast goes to terrible lengths to hide straightforward pricing, IMO.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Charles posted:

You have to sign in for that. Comcast goes to terrible lengths to hide straightforward pricing, IMO.

Comcast has anything but straightforward pricing.... you probably have to log in so you get the right rate card for your area.

Oh no options and just comcast? Here is your overly inflated pricing. Oh now you have RCN and ATT U-Verse? Here are the new and improved reduced rates that are competitive!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Charles posted:

They all do that bullshit, we just got rid of U-Verse because I actually took some time to look at the bill and see how badly they were ripping us off, we were paying as much if not more in fees, taxes and surcharges than we were for the television service including an "HD Technology Fee".

I called and was like WTF is an HD Technology Fee and they were like "Well, we are offering the very best in High Definition Television, but if you no longer wish to have HDTV we can remove that!". Well I have loving gigabit internet, I can watch high definition videos of cat anuses for free with a $30 FireTV, why are you charging me $10 a month to access a signal you are already sending over my fiber line?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah every provider on earth still charges extra for HD when it’s essentially the standard now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Three Olives posted:

They all do that bullshit, we just got rid of U-Verse because I actually took some time to look at the bill and see how badly they were ripping us off, we were paying as much if not more in fees, taxes and surcharges than we were for the television service including an "HD Technology Fee".

I called and was like WTF is an HD Technology Fee and they were like "Well, we are offering the very best in High Definition Television, but if you no longer wish to have HDTV we can remove that!". Well I have loving gigabit internet, I can watch high definition videos of cat anuses for free with a $30 FireTV, why are you charging me $10 a month to access a signal you are already sending over my fiber line?

Markets are transitioning away from the HD fee and just raising all packages $10 more.

Wonder if that is to then replace it with a 4K fee

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Oh sweet, I thought I had tried searching that but got nothing. In fact if I tried "Comcast rate card" and "Xfinity rate card" just now and that link was nowhere to be seen.Thanks!

My city legalized municipal broadband a year ago but so far nobody's stepped up to the plate. I'm sure realistic competition (lol CenturyLink) is still 5-10 years away.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 27, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think I’m going to be getting fios soon, anyone know if there’s any tricks to just getting fast internet without the phone line or cable?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah every provider on earth still charges extra for HD when it’s essentially the standard now.

Seems like it'd actually be more difficult to supply standard def signal now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Charles posted:

Seems like it'd actually be more difficult to supply standard def signal now.

But then you wouldn't be able to charge the extra fee. All providers are grifters.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

You can opt out of the HD fee and get a regular box, you might even still get the HD channels.

We got cable with Comcast because it was cheaper to bundle with internet. When we went to the Comcast store to pick up the cable box I told him we didn’t want the HD box and to take the HD fee off. They removed the fee but they didn’t have any non-HD boxes so they just gave us the HD one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Snowy posted:

I think I’m going to be getting fios soon, anyone know if there’s any tricks to just getting fast internet without the phone line or cable?

What do you mean by tricks? I just went online and got internet only FIOS. It's an option they offer.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What do you mean by tricks? I just went online and got internet only FIOS. It's an option they offer.

Ah ok thanks. Just going by the posts above where it can be hard to just get the options you want, thought I should check to see if I had any challenges ahead :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Snowy posted:

Ah ok thanks. Just going by the posts above where it can be hard to just get the options you want, thought I should check to see if I had any challenges ahead :)
Just note that some of the offers on the FiOS website may not be acknowledged if you try to order over the phone. I specifically had to order through the website to get 100/100 service for $50 in my area... when I tried it over the phone they were only offering 50/50 for the same price.