Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

what the heck, the one thing you don't want to do is speedrun your work bathroom time. Hell, find a cellphone game to do runs of while in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

SeXReX posted:

always poo poo on the clock

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 26, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

always poo poo on the clock

I try to get in the toilet

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
my job is speedrunning so i poo poo my pants

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

ftfy

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Recite the mantra

Gif and avatar aren't in sync, 3/10.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ancient Cave Race season is here again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biVZBFF2htQ&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlmKfdsp4jg&hd=1

someone really, really needs to make a spiritual successor game to the ancient cave from lufia 2.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
refined it

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1132200198648860672

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

There's a Darkest Dungeon bingo running on the esamarathon right now as part of Bingothon. I'm amazed at the games that people will speedrun, though bingo is sort of speedrun-adjacent more than speedrunning.

I always knew bingo was, like, a thing, but I thought it's a much less popular variant than rando. Is that true generally, or is that just I keep seeing the ALTTP/FF Rando tournaments and that makes them really visible? Also, bingo came before randos just, like, as a thing, right?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Speedrun Thread: The Biggest Goddamn Yeet You've Ever Seen

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Stupid imgur links. Thanks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it sucks that the best dusk speedrunner puts terrible music over his runs. and that there are maybe two people that run the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You could change that. :v:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

There's a Darkest Dungeon bingo running on the esamarathon right now as part of Bingothon. I'm amazed at the games that people will speedrun, though bingo is sort of speedrun-adjacent more than speedrunning.

I always knew bingo was, like, a thing, but I thought it's a much less popular variant than rando. Is that true generally, or is that just I keep seeing the ALTTP/FF Rando tournaments and that makes them really visible? Also, bingo came before randos just, like, as a thing, right?

I'm not sure on the history of rando but I would love to see more games get highlighted that don't really fit into the main categories of platformer/soulslike/rpg/zelda. I really, really enjoyed the Valkyria Chronicles run during Frame Fatales and would love to see more Tactics-like runs as the ways you break the game over your knee to pull off the speedrun are usually really interesting. An XCOM2 run would be really neat to see.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

You could change that. :v:

the thought had crossed my mind and i am a patient man but i don't think i have anywhere near the patience required to speedrun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

the thought had crossed my mind and i am a patient man but i don't think i have anywhere near the patience required to speedrun.

You should give it a short. I'm not really interested in getting a competitive time but learning, practicing, and successfully executing a run I was happy with was a really satisfying experience for me.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

You should give it a short. I'm not really interested in getting a competitive time but learning, practicing, and successfully executing a run I was happy with was a really satisfying experience for me.

:yeah:

Just pick a relatively quick run and practice it a few times, get involved with the community that runs it, etc. It's a very fun and rewarding experience if you aren't chasing frames and getting world records that are heavily contested, although eventually going down that path is also probably rewarding. I can only assume, anyway, considering how many people do it.

If you're concerned with execution pick up Startropics! It's easy! (I may be contractually obligated to mention startropics in every post I make in this thread)

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

UraniumAnchor posted:

One of my friends and fellow BM speedrunners has hit a rough patch lately and is running a marathon on his channel this weekend to try and smooth things over financially. I'll be running BM1 tomorrow evening:

https://horaro.org/skavthon/schedule

It's already live, currently somebody running through Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

This is happening right now, BTW

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

UraniumAnchor posted:

One of my friends and fellow BM speedrunners has hit a rough patch lately and is running a marathon on his channel this weekend to try and smooth things over financially. I'll be running BM1 tomorrow evening:

https://horaro.org/skavthon/schedule

It's already live, currently somebody running through Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

Sorry about your leap of faith

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

axeil posted:

An XCOM2 run would be really neat to see.

Sadly, the only people who've done xcom 2 runs seem to be the people who go for as many game leaderboards as possible (by picking games that don't have any competition). And also play on the easiest difficulty. I'd really love to see a real speedrun too.

(Does the capslock trick to speed up the loading time still randomly hang the game? I think it'd honestly be too frustrating to speedrun if that's the case, unless you had a way to time it without loads)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
DUSK is a pretty short run that I've been contemplating trying to pick up myself for a time but I found myself kinda turned off it for reasons I can't really articulate.

maybe i'll try it again soon idk

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Jabor posted:

Sadly, the only people who've done xcom 2 runs seem to be the people who go for as many game leaderboards as possible (by picking games that don't have any competition). And also play on the easiest difficulty. I'd really love to see a real speedrun too.

(Does the capslock trick to speed up the loading time still randomly hang the game? I think it'd honestly be too frustrating to speedrun if that's the case, unless you had a way to time it without loads)

Joinrbs did wotc speedruns on the highest difficulty. He modded the game slightly to make it more enjoyable for himself (lost autofire and speedhacks), but it was an earnest effort.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

thuly posted:

Sorry about your leap of faith

Area 6 trolled me in the worst ways possible, which is a shame because the rest of the run was relatively smooth. Ah well. That was a lot of fun regardless.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

DUSK is a pretty short run that I've been contemplating trying to pick up myself for a time but I found myself kinda turned off it for reasons I can't really articulate.

maybe i'll try it again soon idk

there are some hilarious skips with the crossbow.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

axeil posted:

I'm not sure on the history of rando but I would love to see more games get highlighted that don't really fit into the main categories of platformer/soulslike/rpg/zelda. I really, really enjoyed the Valkyria Chronicles run during Frame Fatales and would love to see more Tactics-like runs as the ways you break the game over your knee to pull off the speedrun are usually really interesting. An XCOM2 run would be really neat to see.

Well, ESA has you covered! Take a gander: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wqUiqRntQA

It's actually really, really boring. Apparently there's a save/load glitch that just lets you skip the enemy phase, so that goes about how you'd expect.

Edit: and I was so excited to see it on the schedule, too!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I know I've been posting a lot about Startropics but I've just started grinding it again so it's fun.

https://i.imgur.com/A40Pnkb.mp4

The moving light blocks aren't instant kills but they take off a ridiculous amount of life, and there's a boss just after this room. It would take me from supernova yoyo, which is the strongest weapon, to regular yoyo, which is suicide against this boss. Because of how the movement works in this game, with some effort you can frame-perfectly buffer actions and cross two tiles on the perfect frame to avoid damage twice in a row. It's crazy.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Skavthon still has a day left in it, the FFX run died overnight because a transformer blew up outside the runner's house. I had my own bit of marathon luck, as well:

https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/1133034101772972032

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hobojim posted:

I know I've been posting a lot about Startropics but I've just started grinding it again so it's fun.

https://i.imgur.com/A40Pnkb.mp4

The moving light blocks aren't instant kills but they take off a ridiculous amount of life, and there's a boss just after this room. It would take me from supernova yoyo, which is the strongest weapon, to regular yoyo, which is suicide against this boss. Because of how the movement works in this game, with some effort you can frame-perfectly buffer actions and cross two tiles on the perfect frame to avoid damage twice in a row. It's crazy.

Why not just jump over them?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

McFrugal posted:

Why not just jump over them?

You can't jump with forward momentum in Startropics unless there is an obstacle or hole in the way. Those laser tiles don't count, so you can only jump vertically.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

UraniumAnchor posted:

Skavthon still has a day left in it, the FFX run died overnight because a transformer blew up outside the runner's house. I had my own bit of marathon luck, as well:

https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/1133034101772972032

Long RPG speedruns have not been going well these few weeks, it seems.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The stream froze on the Blitzball game which just goes to show you about Blitzball

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You can't jump with forward momentum in Startropics unless there is an obstacle or hole in the way. Those laser tiles don't count, so you can only jump vertically.

...how are you supposed to get past them then?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

McFrugal posted:

Notice how the laser tiles on each path aren't vertically aligned? You jump back and forth between the three paths to dodge the laser tiles.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://www.twitch.tv/skavenger216 my pal kosmic is doin a D-4 warpless run (the best category) for skavmarathon, go watch it

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Movement is kind of strange in startropics. You're stuck to a grid and Mike moves kind of tank-like because there's a period of not moving while holding a direction if you're going from a standstill. This allows you to change which direction you're facing without moving, so it's useful, but it feels weird at first.

For jumping, if you jump without holding a direction, Mike will jump straight up. You can turn in mid-air but not travel in any direction this way. If there's a gap in the direction you're holding while you press jump, you'll jump over the gap, to a maximum of two tiles away. If there's a block, Mike will jump onto the block. You can still instantly turn in mid-air any time you're in the air, but you can't change your trajectory. If you're holding a direction while you jump and there's nothing in that direction, he'll just jump straight up same as if you weren't holding a direction.

This is the intended way to do that room.

https://i.imgur.com/UOIe6PQ.mp4

I'm surprised there are a few people here who know how the game works!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hobojim posted:

I'm surprised there are a few people here who know how the game works!

It was the only NES game I owned for years, aside from Mario Bros. Used to 'speedrun' it against friends when I was like 10 years old. Still a good nostalgic classic.

The game's weird and kinda starts off feeling like you're moving a tank, but you can do really nice midair attacks and turning on a dime without running into things. It flows nice when you get used to it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

ESA announced their full schedule today: https://esamarathon.com/schedule

Silent Hill 2
The World Ends With You: Final Remix
Street Boyz

punchy speedruns assembly.

Also, Freedom Planet is being raced, so I'm probably also gonna on for that.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It was the only NES game I owned for years, aside from Mario Bros. Used to 'speedrun' it against friends when I was like 10 years old. Still a good nostalgic classic.

The game's weird and kinda starts off feeling like you're moving a tank, but you can do really nice midair attacks and turning on a dime without running into things. It flows nice when you get used to it.

imo any startropics speedrun where they don't actually dip the letter into water to reveal the code is illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

ESA announced their full schedule today: https://esamarathon.com/schedule

Silent Hill 2
The World Ends With You: Final Remix
Street Boyz

punchy speedruns assembly.

Also, Freedom Planet is being raced, so I'm probably also gonna on for that.

Nice, always nice to see some moGAME SAVED