Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Kin posted:

Here's a couple of pics of the larger back area to give an idea of the geography

Hard to judge the incline properly from photos, but it looks like the houses straight ahead and to the left in the photo are all uphill from your row of houses on the right. If that's the case, it's really not a surprise that your block of houses is having drainage issues. That neighborhood will need more than grass to soak up 30+ inches of rain per year, and the bare dirt from the current construction isn't doing you any favors.

Kin posted:

Good to know about how sturdy a lawn should be. I was never sure if was watering it enough at first and then i was told you couldn't water new turf too much. But with the drainage issues things got boggy very quickly and it got me wondering if actually there is a point where there's too much water. Would a large amount of big pieces of stone in the topsoil not have an impact on how patchy the turf got too. Like if the roots weren't able to reach down deep enough because of them?
You can absolutely drown new sod. It's way easier than you'd think. A lot of plant roots (including grass) have trouble growing in very wet soil, so instead of soaking up the moisture, they stop growing and just rot. By contrast, it would take a lot of rocks to noticeably interfere with grass roots. Healthy roots for hardy plants are excellent at moving around small obstacles.

Water regulation is the secret to at least 75% of gardening. With sod, you should make sure it's watered frequently for the first 3-4 weeks, until the grass roots start growing into the soil underneath. That probably means watering it at least once a day for 10 minutes (in the morning preferably, but you can add an evening watering if it's really dry), but don't water it so much that the ground ever feels squishy. To keep sod alive, you only need the first inch or so of soil to be moistened daily. To encourage deeper root growth, you want soil to be moist down to a depth of about 6 inches, but only twice a week at most so it doesn't impair growth. Keep an eye on the weather forecast.

Once the roots start stitching into the soil, you can gradually taper off your watering until your schedule only consists of watering once or twice per week at the 6 inches depth. Deep roots are how grass survives hot summers, and you encourage those roots with deep, infrequent watering.

Most importantly, watch out for signs of over- or under-watering with your grass, so you can adjust your schedule quickly.

Kin posted:

Incidentally, i've just spotted this stuff growing over quite a bit of my front lawn. It's only sprung up in the last week and i'm sure i've seen it somewhere before in my life but dunno if it's the kind of thing that should be excised from a nice garden lawn.

Lawn grass is usually a mix of different species of grass depending on your climate. It's perfectly normal for some species to go to seed before others, and seedheads will look different for some species. As long as the grass blades are a reasonably consistent color and texture, it's fine. Things to watch out for are patches of grass with drastically different blade appearance (e.g., crabgrass vs Kentucky bluegrass), or patches of grass that grow tall way faster than others (e.g., prairie grass vs lawn grass). A little variation between lawn grass species is to be expected, so you're looking for things that are really dramatic.

Don't drive yourself crazy trying to remove those seedheads, and absolutely do not lower the blades on your mower to shave them off.

FizFashizzle posted:

I added a new little bulbasaur to my outdoor shelf. This spot gets direct morning sun about two hours a day and the plants seem to be doing great!

I love your porch! Especially that Groot planter. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I’m going away for 7 days and I’m terrified my house sitter is going kill my plants like she almost did last time

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is grafting my own X-in-1 peach tree something I can do myself?

How do I do that?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I love this sight. The first of my Serrano peppers is poking up

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

Is grafting my own X-in-1 peach tree something I can do myself?

How do I do that?

Grafting takes a poo poo ton of practice to get right. Which isn't to say "don't do it", but rather "start modestly before going to the X in 1 type trees".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Edit: meant for the vegetable garden thread

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 24, 2019

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, I didnt notice there was a vegetable garden thread, so thanks for mixing them up!

What are some really aromatic flowers along the same line as lavender or lilac?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Oh man, I didnt notice there was a vegetable garden thread, so thanks for mixing them up!

I have a Russian Sage in the back yard, I love it and the bees do too--those little bastards go nuts for it. It's also ridiculously drought-resistant; I haven't watered it in a year but it continues to spread. Best part is it smells great all the time, not just when blooming.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome, I'll look into that for sure. I actually want to use the flowers inside to stink up the house something nice

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

First new branches.

They kinda appeared out of nowhere and seem to be growing at a rate of at least an inch or two per week. The longest is about 6 inches

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 25, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

First new branches.

They kinda appeared out of nowhere and seem to be growing at a rate of at least an inch or two per week. The longest is about 6 inches

This is doing much much better than mine, though mine is in a (very large) pot on a very windy roof.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My poor lil blueberry bush is wilting. My water has a really high ph, so I diluted some hypronic ph down and sprayed a bunch of it around hoping itll pick back up

Edit: its the correct orientation in discord, however its rotated here and I dont know how to fix it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My poor lil blueberry bush is wilting. My water has a really high ph, so I diluted some hypronic ph down and sprayed a bunch of it around hoping itll pick back up

Edit: its the correct orientation in discord, however its rotated here and I dont know how to fix it.

I’m not an expert on diagnosing blueberry ills, but I do know quick fixes for soil acidity.

Low soil acidity means the plant can’t take up iron. So you need to get the iron to the plant.

Chelated iron and ferrous sulphate are both capable of getting iron into the leaf when applied topically (“foliar application”, i.e. to the leaf)

I use iron sulphate. It is sold in garden shops for the purposes of greening lawns and killing moss. Dissolve fifteen grams in a litre of water and spray all the leaves, top and bottom. Unfortunately, iron is immobile inside the plant. It’ll only help the areas it touches.

Iron sulphate can also be used to increase soil acidity. Look up tables for this based on soil type and the pH shift necessary, but it’s on the order of a hundred grams per square metre of soil.

Most “pH down” has very similar effect; they both result in sulphuric acid getting into the soil. So, for that matter, does “agricultural” (read “elemental”) sulphur, but elemental sulphur has to be oxidised by soil microbes. That takes a year or more for full effect.

Chelated iron has its own perks. Like ferrous sulfate, it can be applied foliarly. It cannot increase soil acidity, but when it is watered into the soil, the iron becomes available to the plant in spite of the low acidity. This is a nice trick because if the roots take up the iron, it can be taken anywhere in the plant—it’s not stuck wherever you sprayed it.

Again, I’ve never had a plant that looked like that, so take what I said with a grain of salt.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 25, 2019

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Yo thread, I have two Chicago hardy fig tree cuttings from Baker Creek. I think at least for this year and maybe next, I am going to keep them potted. What would be a good pot size/material to get them into? They may end up staying in pots permanently, and they need to be quasi-movable so I can get them into the garage for winter.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

I just repotted an Azealia and chucked a rock underneath it to attempt a root over rock grow.

Being a transparent planter I can watch it get root bound and decide more easily when to take actions

There was no shortage of roots in the store planted so I think he will survive well enough

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

bengy81 posted:

Yo thread, I have two Chicago hardy fig tree cuttings from Baker Creek. I think at least for this year and maybe next, I am going to keep them potted. What would be a good pot size/material to get them into? They may end up staying in pots permanently, and they need to be quasi-movable so I can get them into the garage for winter.

I used to have a miniature orange tree in a heavy ceramic pot with wheels on the bottom so you could just pull it inside come winter.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jestery posted:

I just repotted an Azealia and chucked a rock underneath it to attempt a root over rock grow.

Being a transparent planter I can watch it get root bound and decide more easily when to take actions

There was no shortage of roots in the store planted so I think he will survive well enough

Cool keep updating, I'm curious to see how that turns out

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jestery posted:

Goddamnit, I'm going to have to try growing poo poo over poo poo now, too :mad:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Good news, the pH down solution provided some relief. I sprayed half the solution on last night and by this morning the leaves are starting to perk up a bit. I out the rest of the solution on 'er today, so hopefully it'll be good shape tomorrow.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Another good option is peony. They can be quite fragrant, come in a lot of pastel colors, and have large, fluffy blooms (the double-flowered varieties are at least fluffy). Perennial bush, zone 3-8 (need sufficiently cold winters). Blooms in late spring-ish, depending on variety.

Lily of the valley is one of my favorite scents (edged out by lilac I think). It has a graceful form and cute bell-shaped flowers on arcing stalks. Perennial herbaceous plant, zone 2-8. Prefers at least some shade. Tends to form colonies. Blooms in spring.

Phlox is a native (North America) choice. Dense clusters of flowers on the end of tall spikes. Pinkish or pastel colors. Maybe a little more subtle fragrance, at least the variety my mother grows. Perennial, zone 4-8 (other species of phlox can go in cooler zones I think). Blooms in summer (may be different for other species of phlox).

Sweet peas are well-known for their fragrance. A perennial and I think a little fickle to grow. I know nothing about it other than its reputation.

Moonflower have large scented bell flowers that bloom in the evening or night. Not really a cutting flower since it's a vining plant. Will crawl on the ground, or up trellises. Perennial in warm subtropical areas (like hawaii), blooms later in the season.

Sweet alyssum is less of a cut flower plant (it's quite short), but has a good fragrance. Clusters of white or purple flowers. It's annual, best to grab some from a nursery.

The first four are good cut flowers. Peonies can be cut before fully opened and make an impressive vase.

Bonus picture of one of my mother's peonies, this was a one-off mutant flower.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hubis posted:

Yeah grass going to seed this time of year. It's generally a sign of health in cool season turf, although it could also be a weedy grass (Poa Anna or Poa Trivialis). That would be a bit of a surprise I'm newly sodded turf, though. Could always be dormant seeds I'm the underlying soil sprouting. I don't know how common either of those are in Great Britain though.

Is the seeding grass a similar color as everything else, or noticably lighter (like a yellowish green)? Weedy Poa will tend to be off color like that and grow much faster than the surrounding turd, creating little clumps.

I looked at a few stalks of the stuff with seeds and they are a lighter green compared to the other blades of grass.

As for clumps, here's an aerial shot of the turf

It looks like it's all over the grass but there are definitely areas where it looks like it's a lot more prevalent (the right hand side of the lawn). The photo isn't really clear in showing it but when you look at it with your eyes you can see the right hand side of the garden is chocka with it.

The thing that's weirding me out i haven't seen it in any of my neighbours gardens (turfed by the same housebuilders). I'd have assumed if this is happening in my garden now, then it would be showing up in their lawns too.

Edit: like, i'm not overly worried about it i guess based on what you guys have said so far. I'm more interested in learning about what all of this stuff is as it's the first time I've had the responsibility of looking after it.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 25, 2019

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hubis posted:

Goddamnit, I'm going to have to try growing poo poo over poo poo now, too :mad:

I'm doing a root over brick ficus at the moment, it's going really well

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Eeyo posted:

<good information>

Awesome, thanks a lot for this! When I said along the same lines of lilac and lavender, I meant the scent. Couldnt really be arsed about the colour. I fuckin love the smell of lilac.

Good news w/r/t my blueberry bush, it's currently in its dark period and a few hours after applying the second half of the solution, shes really picking back up.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Jestery posted:

I'm doing a root over brick ficus at the moment, it's going really well

So did you just kind of prune the roots a little bit and shoved a rock up under the middle, with the plan of letting the roots (re) grow around it and then planting it more shallowly when you repot?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Also, this rules: https://taunieverett.com/cd-case-greenhouse-tutorial/

I wonder how durable it is?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hubis posted:

Also, this rules: https://taunieverett.com/cd-case-greenhouse-tutorial/

I wonder how durable it is?

Not durable and a huge pain in the rear end to clean

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I got this tiny thing at a plant store this morning. It's labeled as a lithops, which seems almost right but all the lithops images I'm finding online are much more squat, flat, and the inner leaves don't split like this.

Any idea what I have? Is it a less common type of lithops or something else?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Electoral Surgery posted:

I got this tiny thing at a plant store this morning. It's labeled as a lithops, which seems almost right but all the lithops images I'm finding online are much more squat, flat, and the inner leaves don't split like this.

Split rock or mimicry plant. It’s stretching for light, those things want full sun and very little water

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

It’s def a lithops, but I’ve never seen that type before. It’s a pretty cool little guy.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

It's a pleiospilos nelii, closely related to lithops but a different genera. A bit easier to care for than lithops.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hubis posted:

So did you just kind of prune the roots a little bit and shoved a rock up under the middle, with the plan of letting the roots (re) grow around it and then planting it more shallowly when you repot?

Pretty much yeah, however I think it (and I base this on nothing) is important to do a more gradual process of soil removal.

So once it is established Ill take a tablespoon or so out every week to make sure I don't shock the root system

I this is my ficus on brick after 3 months and I'm very happy with it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

There seemed to be some interest in this so :justpost:

My plan for this one is to have this one appear to have broken out of its small pot

So enter a fast growing lily pilly and a small terracotta pot

Perlite and Coco Coir for the bottom, as I understand it this assists root growth :shrug:

Packing the soil to more easily to keep the broken terracotta pot in place

Eyeing up how it's going to be placed

I'm using normal potting mix for the main root ball here, you can also see the (white) roots I draped over the top of the pot for A E S T H E T I C

I filled the outside of the black planter with more coir and perlite , again for root growth.

Voila

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bengy81 posted:

My fig is in potting soil in one of those dense foam pots, sitting on a wheeled drip tray. It's not hardy, so I wheel it into and out of the house as appropriate. I should repot it, though, or at least rejigger it, since it's looking really cockeyed. :/

Eeyo posted:

Another good option is peony. They can be quite fragrant, come in a lot of pastel colors, and have large, fluffy blooms (the double-flowered varieties are at least fluffy). Perennial bush, zone 3-8 (need sufficiently cold winters). Blooms in late spring-ish, depending on variety.
Seconding peonies, although because they need (?) ants to bloom, make sure you gently shake off any cut flowers before you bring them inside unless you don't mind a few stowaways. Mine have stayed fairly compact as they've grown--more up than out, I'd say, not as bushy as you might picture. They have beautiful buds right now in zone 6a; I expect they'll start opening sometime this week. Here's one in full bloom (this is also my desktop picture):

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Awesome, thanks a lot for this! When I said along the same lines of lilac and lavender, I meant the scent. Couldnt really be arsed about the colour. I fuckin love the smell of lilac.

Oh I misread that, whoops! I kind of associate lily of the valley being similar to lilac, so that one may be a good choice. Probably nothing smells exactly like lilac, but lily of the valley has a strong, sweet scent.

Another good aromatic flower I forgot to mention (although less reminiscent of lilac) are some select varieties of hostas. Specifically Hosta plantaginae. They have large (like 4” long or more) pure white flowers. They come on long scapes and bloom in late summer (August-ish). I want to say they have a strong, sweet floral scent with a hint of fruitiness. Very pleasant and a good cut flower. The common type has shiny, lime-green foliage in the typical hosta habit.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Someone stole the rest of my loquats off the tree, like 5ish lbs of loquats.

Thank God. The Loquatpocalypse is over for the year.

Still have to get good pics of my garden and stuff for you all here. It's just a bit much.
... anyone in the so cal area want a small guava tree? Lol.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The packets said germination in 10-14 days but my thyme seeds are already starting to sprout after almost exactly 72 hours. I hope they continue to grow faster than usual...

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
My Sarracenia flava x purpurea flowered! :neckbeard:

Click for enormous versions!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this looks like a Pokemon

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

this looks like a Pokemon