Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

blue footed boobie posted:

This isn’t a thing, and Raiola is using United to get more money from Barca. He does this in like, every deal he does.

You’re right that Raiola is just using a possibly non existent bid for United to inflate his own cut but the wage thing is absolutely real. Donnarumma makes 6 mil a year thanks to that oval office and now other players are asking for similar wages. Suso, who I love but is not a 6 mil a year player, is asking for parity before renewing his contract. All this from a team that might barely scrape a champions league berth if they’re lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gigi Galli posted:

You’re right that Raiola is just using a possibly non existent bid for United to inflate his own cut but the wage thing is absolutely real. Donnarumma makes 6 mil a year thanks to that oval office and now other players are asking for similar wages. Suso, who I love but is not a 6 mil a year player, is asking for parity before renewing his contract. All this from a team that might barely scrape a champions league berth if they’re lucky.

I get the concept and I agree that agents will use it as a talking point in negotiations, but United can easily point out that it was a mistake to sign this retarded clown who they’re actively trying to offload to silly wages and they’re not going to do it again, and especially not when they’ve missed out on the CL.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

I get the concept and I agree that agents will use it as a talking point in negotiations, but United can easily point out that it was a mistake to sign this retarded clown who they’re actively trying to offload to silly wages and they’re not going to do it again, and especially not when they’ve missed out on the CL.

You're forgetting that for certain positions, we're over a loving barrel on wages if we want the type of player we need AND attract them to miss a season of Champions League (at least), plus the fact there's absolutely no way a title challenge can be expected next season.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bundy posted:

You're forgetting that for certain positions, we're over a loving barrel on wages if we want the type of player we need AND attract them to miss a season of Champions League (at least), plus the fact there's absolutely no way a title challenge can be expected next season.

Oh yeah I’m not disputing any of that. I just don’t think Alexis’ presence is as problematic for wages as it’s made it to be.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Marsielle want AVB to take over as manager, but he's asking for so much in wages that it might prevent the deal from happening

lol at all of that

trem_two fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 26, 2019

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

trem_two posted:

Marsielle want ABV to take over as manager, but he's asking for so much in wages that it might prevent the deal from happening

lol at all of that

AVB? Or is there another manager I'm not thinking of

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

trem_two posted:

Marsielle want ABV to take over as manager, but he's asking for so much in wages that it might prevent the deal from happening

lol at all of that

I thought he just raced trucks now

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

oliwan posted:

Also the g in ligt is pronounced like de ch in Loch (Ness).

Ligt my balls

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

pik_d posted:

sorry, yes

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

trem_two posted:

Marsielle want AVB to take over as manager, but he's asking for so much in wages that it might prevent the deal from happening

lol at all of that

The team played like poo poo, got bounced out of the group stages in Europe and lost out on continental competition because PSG didn't win any domestic cups. When you factor in a failed pursuit of AVB, all of a sudden it's 2014 all over again.

This can only mean that next year we'll be seeing Marcelo Bielsa as manager once again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1132634090648276994?s=19

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Guess they finally realized he’d been stealing a paycheck for four years.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

pik_d posted:

ABV is Tony Adams

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I hate him op

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bundy posted:

ABV is Tony Adams

:golfclap:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bundy posted:

ABV is Tony Adams

Him or Gazza, I suppose

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I thought he just raced trucks now

he crashed and broke his back

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

Football has gone mad, couldn’t care less about wages anymore but I’d love this.

Compared to the wages in US sports it really isn’t crazy money which is stupid to say.

this kind of got me thinking

that's around $23mm a year, probably tack on a couple mil for bonuses, so call it $26mm a year. That puts him in pretty elite company in US sports...13 MLB players, 17 NBA players, plus maybe a couple of MMA fighters or boxers are about it, not a one in either the NFL or NHL really come close (a few NFL players cap numbers are that high due to pro rated bonuses). And pretty much all of those guys are mega superstar types on their mid career contracts.

i guess what i'm trying to say is god drat that's a lot of money for a teenager, and also messi gets paid a lot and lol alexis sanchez

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I wonder what American teams would end up paying players without a draft and rookie contract salary scales/arbitration? Mookie Betts is probably no worse than the 3rd best player in baseball right now, and he's stuck waiting for six full years of service time to accrue before he can be a free agent. He's only making $20m this year at age 26, and won't be a free agent until he's 29. But if a team could sign him when he was coming off his breakout age 23 season, he'd have gotten way, way more than that (and he only earned $950,000 for his age 24 season since he was still pre-arbitration under the union contract).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

apparently mike ashley has sold newcastle to the cousin of man city's owner

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9160258/newcastle-mike-ashley-sell-350million/

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Jose posted:

apparently mike ashley has sold newcastle to the cousin of man city's owner

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9160258/newcastle-mike-ashley-sell-350million/

It'll be interesting to see at what percentage of the league being arab playthings that my brain finally goes gently caress this thats enough and moves over to looking at less odious sports.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't actually believe its happened anyway

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Jose posted:

Ashley would back out at the last moment over something incredibly trivial even if its real. He lives to crush your hopes.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Lee Ryder asked the club to confirm, and they issued a "no comment" response, so there might be something to this one

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

trem_two posted:

Lee Ryder asked the club to confirm, and they issued a "no comment" response, so there might be something to this one

he's blocked me on twitter lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChronicleNUFC/status/1132780557069377537?s=19

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Jose posted:

It's not bolded.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MsiDouglas/status/1132795157798105088
lol welp

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Yeah but that was describing Liverpool

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah but that was describing Liverpool

Yeah, just saying this dude could be full of poo poo by saying he has the money and that it's a done deal

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

trem_two posted:

Yeah, just saying this dude could be full of poo poo by saying he has the money and that it's a done deal

No I meant this part

quote:

was deemed neither credible nor worthy of being put to the ownership

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
On one hand I have a soft spot for the toon and would like them to be free of Ashley's grip. On the other I don't really want another petrodollar giant emerging to piss on the twitching corpse of Arsenal's 'Top Team' status.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

habeasdorkus posted:

I wonder what American teams would end up paying players without a draft and rookie contract salary scales/arbitration? Mookie Betts is probably no worse than the 3rd best player in baseball right now, and he's stuck waiting for six full years of service time to accrue before he can be a free agent. He's only making $20m this year at age 26, and won't be a free agent until he's 29. But if a team could sign him when he was coming off his breakout age 23 season, he'd have gotten way, way more than that (and he only earned $950,000 for his age 24 season since he was still pre-arbitration under the union contract).

You just need to go back and look at what Sam Bradford's rookie contract was when he started in the NFL, that contract caused a huge shift which caused a cap on what you can pay rookies.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Remember that MLB rookies start with relatively low salaries compared to before they enter arbitration years, but if they were top draft picks would have likely ended up with multi-million dollar signing bonuses or contracts structured to ensure early qualification for salary arbitration.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/1133013467391303680

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Never heard of him and he's a left back so presumably shite since benitez can't sign a good one but at least its a free signing

https://twitter.com/NUFC360/status/1133001806219546625

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Blue Star Error posted:

It'll be interesting to see at what percentage of the league being arab playthings that my brain finally goes gently caress this thats enough and moves over to looking at less odious sports.

Let me know when you find one.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

tarbrush posted:

Women's Handball

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

In response to numerous reports in the world media this morning, we would like to comment as follows.

“We can confirm the representatives of his Highness Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nahyan are in discussions with Mike Ashley and his team about the proposed acquisition of Newcastle United Football Club.

“We view it as an honour to have the opportunity to build on the strong support, history and tradition of the club.

“We have agreed terms and are working hard to complete the transaction at the earliest opportunity.

“Best Regards, Midhat Kidwai, Group Managing Director, Bin Zayed Group

https://twitter.com/lee_ryder/status/1133042733109645319

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

tarbrush posted:

Snooker