Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Medullah posted:

If there's a better thread for this, please point me to it. Went from a 800 square foot house to a 1700 with an equally large basement, so I've got a ton of space with almost nothing on the walls and general lack of decoration. I'm a single guy and quite frankly I'm terrible at decorating. Are there any places where I can, say, upload some pictures and get advice from people smarter than me?

Also, I need to get a bed for the spare bedroom. Not likely to be used often, but I'd like to have one in there. Are there any fairly cheap but not completely terrible ones out there?

We're about to give Modsy a try for room decoration, I'll definitely share how it works.

I got a mattress from tuft and needle and really like it. Like 600 bones for a queen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Medullah posted:

If there's a better thread for this, please point me to it. Went from a 800 square foot house to a 1700 with an equally large basement, so I've got a ton of space with almost nothing on the walls and general lack of decoration. I'm a single guy and quite frankly I'm terrible at decorating. Are there any places where I can, say, upload some pictures and get advice from people smarter than me?

Also, I need to get a bed for the spare bedroom. Not likely to be used often, but I'd like to have one in there. Are there any fairly cheap but not completely terrible ones out there?

I got a Zinus foam mattress, a queen for 220 bucks 5 years ago and it's still going strong. I highly recommend for a spare bed or even your own, and it's more likely than not made at the same factory as tuft and needle/whatever other VC-funded mattress brand.

Edit: you buy them from Amazon.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 25, 2019

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We're about to give Modsy a try for room decoration, I'll definitely share how it works.

I got a mattress from tuft and needle and really like it. Like 600 bones for a queen?

Modsy looks like pretty much exactly what I wanted, interesting to see how it goes

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Blindeye posted:

I got a Zinus foam mattress, a queen for 220 bucks 5 years ago and it's still going strong. I highly recommend for a spare bed or even your own, and it's more likely than not made at the same factory as tuft and needle/whatever other VC-funded mattress brand.

Edit: you buy them from Amazon.

We just got a new frame and mattress from this company from Amazon for our guest bedroom it's absolutely best value.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We just got a new frame and mattress from this company from Amazon for our guest bedroom it's absolutely best value.

Mind me asking which one?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Medullah posted:

Zinus, I think.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Zinus, I think.

Well yeah, I meant which specific model.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah! well then,

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Oh hey, I found the order for the bed I am still using:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTCAY04/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not Zinus, I must have confused it for what a friend bought, but this has been good to us.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just want to give a shout out to https://repairclinic.com for being the best place to not only get repair parts for appliances, but for having excellent how-to videos. My mom's dishwasher died yesterday and thanks to their warehouse being a 20min drive away AND being open on Sunday, I was able to get a replacement pump and motor assembly this morning and install it in under an hour. The part cost $155 but I'm sure I saved a couple hundred bucks watching their instructional video a couple times through versus having to call a repair person. I'm sure it's less convenient if you don't live in SE Michigan but I'd highly recommend them if you ever need to get replacement parts.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I found click together hardwood flooring for 6 bucks a square foot. The store says they'll remove my carpet and install the new flooring for a total project cost of $16 a SF. That seems insane for the materials to be less than half the total cost. This is a 1400 SF flat home with no stairs and doing only 4 bedrooms and a hallway

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That seems insane for the materials to be less than half the total cost.

Labor is routinely more expensive than materials. Whether it's appropriate in this particular situation, I don't know, but that kind of ratio is not at all unusual in general.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Labor is routinely more expensive than materials. Whether it's appropriate in this particular situation, I don't know, but that kind of ratio is not at all unusual in general.

For like... Building a house, or a staircase maybe. But these are prefinished slats of wood to be nailed down in 5 large rectangular rooms.

I'm recarpeting an old house for $3/sf including materials, disposal, and labor, so the hardwood labor just seemed like a "go away we don't wanna do it" bid

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I found click together hardwood flooring for 6 bucks a square foot. The store says they'll remove my carpet and install the new flooring for a total project cost of $16 a SF. That seems insane for the materials to be less than half the total cost. This is a 1400 SF flat home with no stairs and doing only 4 bedrooms and a hallway

That seems a little high. I did about 1100sqft of decent grade glue together engineered wood for around $9k total. If I recall the wood was 5/sqft, 1/sqft for underlayment, and 3/sqft labor. I had already removed the carpet and prepared the slab though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone have any recommendations for good citronella torches or something for my patio? It's not too big but not too small either. Most of the ones I see online are "stake in the ground" and I'm not real sure how well that would work there. For reference -

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So I had leaking from one of my sprinkler lines, and in trying to repair the valve, I realized that 1) it's ancient and obsolete and 2) that it's installed in a way that makes maintenance a bitch.

So I created an elevated joint with two compression couplings so I can more readily make repairs in the future. I also dug everything out and put in gravel and cobbles for drainage and a proper valve box since before it was just a few buried CMUs with 3 concrete pavers on top as the "lid."

Then I liked the results so much I replaced all my valves:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just dropping this in here.........

I had a cook out yesterday. After everyone left we noticed the downstairs toilet started leaking from the tank onto the floor.

Being experienced in homeownership I had multiple packets of this around: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-LiquiLock-Gel-31419/202882917

So I dumped one in the tank and one in the bowl after turning off the water. I then went to bed and didn't think about it again because no more damage would happen.

I woke up this morning, had my coffee and headed out to the home despot, and a couple hours later:

Yes, an entirely new toilet. Because just as I'm experienced enough to have liquilock around, I'm also experienced enough to know that chasing parts around for a leaking toilet is a losing proposition. It was "a simple tank grommet that would have cost $1", yet when I started taking the old toilet apart bolts were stripping shrew heads got chewed up because they were ready to fall apart etc. as they often do. And I didn't give a gently caress because I had a new toilet, a new set of closet bolts and a new fluidmaster "gently caress using wax rings" seal ready to go.

Look at that.....it's even caulked down properly. 2 hours. Done.

You want to own a house? Be ready to make sure you can get your poo where it needs to go on short notice.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I am more interested in this magic powder that turns all the water to toilet jello

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

I am more interested in this magic powder that turns all the water to toilet jello

Even better than that is that if you add MORE water it turns back into water. So if you need to re-set a toilet (like because the seal is leaking) you can toss that crap in, do what you need to, then just turn it back on and fill/flush a couple times.

It's the kind of thing everyone should have a couple packets of sitting around, even if you have no intention of ever doing actual plumbing work yourself simply because inside of 4 minutes you've stopped any water damage from happening without having to stick your hands or anything else in a toilet.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Medullah posted:

Hey sorry holiday weekend it's been a zoo around here -

In our master we have a king memory foam green tea 12" on the upholstered square stitched platform.

In our guest bedroom we have a queen ultima comfort 10" on the paul metal and wood platform.

They are a great deal.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

As it's warmed up, we have had some big ants wandering around the kitchen and bathroom (ground floor, they share a corner of the building). On research it seems likely they are carpenter ants. How paranoid do I need to be that they are filling the walls and eating the supports? At the moment we basically find a couple wandering around alone every day.

I spent part of this weekend laying out borax baits, for a start.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I love those big dick toilets. The place I’m moving into now has all these little circle toilets that I barely fit on. Barbarism.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah you never feel more like an oversized beef lord behemoth than when you're stuffed over a little circle toilet with no ability to maneuver a hand to the butthole region

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah you never feel more like an oversized beef lord behemoth than when you're stuffed over a little circle toilet with no ability to maneuver a hand to the butthole region

New thread title here

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

no ability to maneuver a hand to the butthole region

You mean the suburbs?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
terro ant killer will wipe out any ants you have, I think it's just borax but I got a little bottle of that poo poo three years ago for cheap when I bought the house and I've never had an ant issue since. just dab some of that poo poo on some cut up index cards and that colony will regret ever crossing you.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If you don't need it immediately, Delta Dust is like Terro ant powder on murder steroids. More expensive but more effective, lasts longer, and kills more/all bugs.

I've used both and Delta Dust is my favorite.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

terro ant killer will wipe out any ants you have, I think it's just borax

Borax and sugar water. All you need for ant destruction if you're willing to wait a few days.

The neurotoxin ant killers are interesting and immediately satisfying, but they die too fast to bring that poo poo back into wherever they're living and kill the entire colony.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Terro is what I grabbed at the hardware store because I wanted to do something immediately, so good to know it wasn't a total waste of my time stuffing little cards under things. I'll look into Delta Dust as well and follow up with that if we keep seeing them appear. As soon as I identified them I got paranoid and started searching for signs they're in the house but I haven't found anything to indicate we have more than a few visitors.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Back with another question, are longer warranties worth buying on water heaters? Everything I see online says making do with the standard 6-year and keeping up with maintenance is the way to go.

Also, if we're looking for a cheap, sturdy lock for an outdoor shed (where we're planning to stash the mower if we get one ASAP), what would y'all recommend?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My 12 year warrantied water heater failed in less than a year, and while they swapped it out with a new one, it doesn't give me hope that the new one will last 12 years. Read the fine print on what is warrantied, ie parts and/or labor. If one or the other is all that's covered don't waste your time unless you're handy. The parts are fairly expensive on their own and the labor is so expensive you might as well just buy a new water heater. Additionally, to send new parts out for the warranty, the manufacturer may require your unit be inspected by one of their contractors, which if they don't cover it could be $200 by itself.

It's all a scam and even though all my poo poo was covered 100% by the companies involved, I still feel ripped off somehow. Probably because I lost 8 hours of vacation time and hours on the phone trying to get companies to do what they're required to.

It took me a full month from my first call to get my water heater replaced.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

babydonthurtme posted:

Back with another question, are longer warranties worth buying on water heaters? Everything I see online says making do with the standard 6-year and keeping up with maintenance is the way to go.

I wouldn't purchase any extra warranty plan, but the heaters with longer warranties (10-12y) are usually of a much higher quality. One tip is to look at the drain valve. Low-end WHs use a crappy plastic faucet hookup, while better models use the traditional brass.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

babydonthurtme posted:

Also, if we're looking for a cheap, sturdy lock for an outdoor shed (where we're planning to stash the mower if we get one ASAP), what would y'all recommend?

I imagine you want a lock that will resist just twisting off the shed with a metal bar. Just get a cheapo whatever lock, because odds are anything you put on there is gonna be stronger than the latch itself is. It's just a deterrent to lazy thieves or teenagers.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Years ago we had foundation problems and had weeping tile installed. Then when we re-landscaped and planted a cherry tree fairly close to the house. Now that I think about it, are the roots from the tree going to be a hazard that close to the foundation or can they not get enough purchase in the gravel? Or even better purchase in the gravel...?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd always understood it that you don't want trees anywhere near the house if you have any choice in the matter. Roots are destructive in any number of ways, and no I wouldn't expect them to have any trouble growing in gravel.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
gently caress trees

We just hacked down a ton of enormous trees in our community that had been installed by the builder based on instant street appeal and no thought for long term growth. They got huge and hosed up our sidewalks, sewers, and irrigation

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

babydonthurtme posted:

Buy one which you can change the keying on so it can match your house. I think ours was $20 from the locksmith re-keying our house. It went from a nice Abus lock to a nice Abus lock with a comically lovely core. It holds shut a rotting door and could trivially be ripped off by someone.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress trees

We just hacked down a ton of enormous trees in our community that had been installed by the builder based on instant street appeal and no thought for long term growth. They got huge and hosed up our sidewalks, sewers, and irrigation

Nice snow shovel.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I didn't lift a finger, the HOA did it all :smuggo:

... as part of my $270/month HOA fee :negative:

I'm so excited to be moving to a regular house soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My tenants Samsung French door refridgerator had the freezer stop functioning 2 years in. I put in forced defrost mode for a while then reset it but it's still not freezing. I've already ordered a replacement fridge but does anyone have any experience fixing something like this? Were gonna out it in the garage for extra fridge storage but it would be nice to get freeze functionality back.

Also my wife wants to look into converting our 50 gallon heater into a tankless system. Anyone know generally how much that runs with install?