Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This should work perfectly, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Guys. I love my level 6 Goliath wrestling bear totem barbarian with 12 strength and 14 charisma. I took the actor feat and use a folding chair as a shield. I act like a cross of Drax from guardians of the galaxy, hulk hogan, and Red Magnus from Disgaea 5. I'm planning to multi class to bard for expertise in athletics and performance.

It's amazing to grapple a red dragon and just keep him on the ground while tanking gently caress tons of damage and asking him what he can do about these THIRTY INCH PYTHONS

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

Wood elves are slightly Irish. They use flavourful, passionate language like a stereotypical Italian would, but can be quite blunt.

I think The Dragon Prince was a bit overrated as a show, but one of the things they did that i absolutely loved was the scottish accent elves.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Is it irrational to be annoyed that my friend runs combat wherein you have to beat AC rather than meet it? Would I be an absolute grognard to bring it up? He runs fairly difficult combat already so it seems kind of arbitrary to add more misses into the equation. I feel like I'm noticing a lot of instances where I'm missing when I would normally hit, but that could some form of frequency illusion.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Is it irrational to be annoyed that my friend runs combat wherein you have to beat AC rather than meet it? Would I be an absolute grognard to bring it up? He runs fairly difficult combat already so it seems kind of arbitrary to add more misses into the equation. I feel like I'm noticing a lot of instances where I'm missing when I would normally hit, but that could some form of frequency illusion.

No, it's not irrational to be annoyed at a blanket -1 to hit for everything. That's a loving idiotic thing to be doing to D&D.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It's right there. This shouldn't be controversial.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

No, it's not irrational to be annoyed at a blanket -1 to hit for everything. That's a loving idiotic thing to be doing to D&D.

In theory, it probably favors the players more than it does the monsters, because players usually have better hit rates than the enemy, so losing 5% from a 70% hit rate is a lot less painful to the player than it is for the monster losing 5% from a 40% hit rate.

In practice, it definitely slows down combat, which I can't ever see being a good thing.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Full disclosure I recently got shut down for rules lawyering a little too much, and I'm trying to be better so I'm hesitant to say anything about it. The whole group leans pretty hard into the rules-as-guidelines philosophy so it's difficult to get people on my side with this sort of thing. It's definitely a mentality of "DM a campaign if you care so much", which I've been doing. I have a lot of fun DMing for the group, but I'm having less fun as a player lately.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I get that "rules-lawyering" can be a thing, but at least for me, "you hit if the result meets or beats the target's AC" is such a basic rule that it shouldn't constitute the sort of semantic-hot-potato-in-order-to-squeeze-out-an-unintended-advantage that's grating on a group

if it's a touchy subject for your group, then it's really up to you to decide if it's worth bringing up

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Every Dwarf should be Brian Blessed.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I have a lot of fun DMing for the group, but I'm having less fun as a player lately.

lovely DM rulings aside, I think this feeling is pretty normal. Especially after you DM for a while and get to make all the 'correct' rulings and set the pace. I wrapped up a long campaign this year and another player took a turn as DM. It's been pretty unbearable since, just endless poo poo like 20 minute 'discussions' on what prestidigitation should be able to do, DM calling for 3 skill checks to get out of 1 obstacle, just basic mistakes. Last session I showed up late and walked into a heated argument on if its ok for the wizard, who fell into a river, to be able to shape water and rise up on a block of ice. Endless back-and-forths about can you cast while swimming, how high does the ice block float (seriously), cold damage from contact, etc. I drat near walked back out. But everyone else is still playing so I think it's just me.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ritorix posted:

lovely DM rulings aside, I think this feeling is pretty normal. Especially after you DM for a while and get to make all the 'correct' rulings and set the pace. I wrapped up a long campaign this year and another player took a turn as DM. It's been pretty unbearable since, just endless poo poo like 20 minute 'discussions' on what prestidigitation should be able to do, DM calling for 3 skill checks to get out of 1 obstacle, just basic mistakes. Last session I showed up late and walked into a heated argument on if its ok for the wizard, who fell into a river, to be able to shape water and rise up on a block of ice. Endless back-and-forths about can you cast while swimming, how high does the ice block float (seriously), cold damage from contact, etc. I drat near walked back out. But everyone else is still playing so I think it's just me.

Bad groups are like bad relationships.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

ritorix posted:

I wouldn't even think of that. That's nice. I'd clap for his initiative, and let him float to the top and move on.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Full disclosure I recently got shut down for rules lawyering a little too much, and I'm trying to be better so I'm hesitant to say anything about it. The whole group leans pretty hard into the rules-as-guidelines philosophy so it's difficult to get people on my side with this sort of thing. It's definitely a mentality of "DM a campaign if you care so much", which I've been doing. I have a lot of fun DMing for the group, but I'm having less fun as a player lately.

I mean asking over email or something should really be okay and if it isn't I question the group's cohesion.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Does anybody have an opinion on the Ghosts of Saltmarsh? Either the 5e version or the original modules.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I had a dm who houseruled this, describing it as "defender wins" which frankly makes even less sense. Means he's knowingly nerfing martials by 5%

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I had a dm who houseruled this, describing it as "defender wins" which frankly makes even less sense. Means he's knowingly nerfing martials by 5%

So by this same logic I would assume they're allowing saving throws to meet? Or are they just inconsistent?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

What gets me is that it's such a minor but broad and arbitrary change. It's the type of poo poo that leads me to look down on houserules and homebrew in general - people just have no loving clue.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Making tweaks like that with insufficient system mastery in a game with “bounded accuracy” is a good way to gently caress up a campaign.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

ritorix posted:

So much debate when the answer is so simple: would it be loving cool? If so, yes he can do that.

The ONLY THING I can think of that would prevent it would be a Vocal component but it doesn't have one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Soysaucebeast posted:

I haven't played any full sessions with it, but I did check it out a few months ago. It seems relatively intuitive so far as I can tell. There was an interactive tutorial also, but everything it showed me send pretty obvious.

Thanks! So far it seems relatively intuitive.

I'm looking at running Dragon Heist, and I remember a few months ago there was a supplement released which featured an actual bank as the location of the vault. Has anyone here read that supplement? What was the bank vault chapter like? Just a convoluted access method (I've heard it replaces the three keys with three employees) and then a few rooms, or an actual proper bank that requires planning to rob?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Resting Lich Face posted:

So much debate when the answer is so simple: would it be loving cool? If so, yes he can do that.

Well it's ice, so of course it is. :haw:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tibalt posted:

Does anybody have an opinion on the Ghosts of Saltmarsh? Either the 5e version or the original modules.

I finding it cool so far, as much as my opinion is worth. It's nice to have a look into some classic Greyhawk stuff, like the Scarlet Brotherhood and Keoland. Also it's cool how the twist with Sinister Secret and Danger at Dunwater encourages not being a reckless murderhobo.

Also the updated version makes a cool change to The Final Enemy. Namely being able to participate in the final battle, which took place offscreen in the original.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I finding it cool so far, as much as my opinion is worth. It's nice to have a look into some classic Greyhawk stuff, like the Scarlet Brotherhood and Keoland. Also it's cool how the twist with Sinister Secret and Danger at Dunwater encourages not being a reckless murderhobo.

Also the updated version makes a cool change to The Final Enemy. Namely being able to participate in the final battle, which took place offscreen in the original.

I asked in GM, but I think it got passed over for a different topic: have they updated the ship combat rules? The UA had some pretty bad statblocks and was missing key features like boarding.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I asked in GM, but I think it got passed over for a different topic: have they updated the ship combat rules? The UA had some pretty bad statblocks and was missing key features like boarding.

I don't know as I did not read the UA version. Though it does not look like boarding would something hard. The fighting members of the crew could easily board another ship if they get close.

The post below me does better anyway.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 26, 2019

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Dammit, I wrote up a huge post about this and lost it. Suffice it to say, the rules are expanded from UA.

A few highlights include:
  • Ships all have mapped individual deck layouts.
  • Each ship has multiple actions per turn, but they all require a certain number of crew, so slaying enemy crew members has a tangible effect on a ship's ability to function.
  • There's a subsection on crew combat that offers some suggestions for abstraction, since tracking the position and stats of individual crew members is incredibly tedious.
There's also a freaking ton of awesome ship upgrades, including but not limited to:
  • hulls magically covered in flailing chains, supernatural ice, auras of dread, feywild vines, or orbs filled with beholder eyeballs
  • sails imbued with mithril, dragonscales, or banshee spirits
  • oars with slashing scythes or assisted with clockwork mechanisms
  • artillery ammunition that can set fire, concuss enemy crews, or attach restricting chains
  • figureheads that can spew dragon's breath, blast thunder, or temporarily animate as a golem
  • undead skeletal runes that resurrect slain crew members as loyal zombies
  • magical smuggler's banners that allow limited teleporation
  • taskmaster's drums that let you pump up your crew like it was Mad Max: Fury Road
I think it's pretty sweet, and can't wait to play.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

If the gap is big enough yes. I am not the type of person who says "yes you just jump over the 20 ft gap in the floor with no risk involved."

why? this is a thing that literal real life children are able to do

Track and field is divided into six age groups for young athletes. The sub bantam division begins with 8-year-olds, the bantam division is for 10- to 11-year-olds, the midget division is for 12- to 13-year-olds and the youth division is for 14- to 15-year-olds. An intermediate division covers 16- and 17-year-olds and 18-year-olds compete in the young men or young women divisions. A typical middle-schooler would compete in the bantam or midget divisions.

The long jump national record for the United States is measured at the Junior Olympics track and field event. For bantam boys, the national long jump record is 4.97 meters, or 16 feet 3.75 inches, and is held by Thomas Johnson. Matthew Green holds the midget boys national long jump record of 5.51 meters, or 18 feet 1 inch. The junior national record for bantam girls is 4.67 meters, or 15 feet 4 inches, held by Margaux Jones. Myra Combs holds the midget girl national long jump record of 5.52 meters, or 18 feet 1.5 inches. Internationally, American Randy Williams holds the world long jump record for junior athletes of 8.34 meters, or 27 feet 4.5 inches. For women, the junior world record is 7.14 meters, a little more than 23 feet 5 inches, which is held by Heike Drechsler of Germany.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Elfgames posted:

why? this is a thing that literal real life children are able to do

Track and field is divided into six age groups for young athletes. The sub bantam division begins with 8-year-olds, the bantam division is for 10- to 11-year-olds, the midget division is for 12- to 13-year-olds and the youth division is for 14- to 15-year-olds. An intermediate division covers 16- and 17-year-olds and 18-year-olds compete in the young men or young women divisions. A typical middle-schooler would compete in the bantam or midget divisions.

The long jump national record for the United States is measured at the Junior Olympics track and field event. For bantam boys, the national long jump record is 4.97 meters, or 16 feet 3.75 inches, and is held by Thomas Johnson. Matthew Green holds the midget boys national long jump record of 5.51 meters, or 18 feet 1 inch. The junior national record for bantam girls is 4.67 meters, or 15 feet 4 inches, held by Margaux Jones. Myra Combs holds the midget girl national long jump record of 5.52 meters, or 18 feet 1.5 inches. Internationally, American Randy Williams holds the world long jump record for junior athletes of 8.34 meters, or 27 feet 4.5 inches. For women, the junior world record is 7.14 meters, a little more than 23 feet 5 inches, which is held by Heike Drechsler of Germany.

Put them in plate armour and carrying 40kgs of treasure whilst wearing medieval boots on slick stone floors then we can have a frank discussion.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah but I'm sure a hobgoblin or whatever could do it

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Put them in plate armour and carrying 40kgs of treasure whilst wearing medieval boots on slick stone floors then we can have a frank discussion.

Do the rules say anything about changing how far a character can jump in this situation?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Do the rules say anything about changing how far a character can jump in this situation?

It does not

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

a D&D character is supposed to be ale to go out and slay dragons, a magical beast with scales stronger than the heaviest armor in the game essentially a magical tank and yet they hardly beat a child in a long jump

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
My beef has always been that jumping takes up your movement distance.

So therefore, if you had the misfortune of taking more than a 10 ft run and jump. You are not making that 20 ft gap even with 20 STR.

This is generally very dumb, and I just ignore it as a DM.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arthil posted:

So therefore, if you had the misfortune of taking more than a 10 ft run and jump. You are not making that 20 ft gap even with 20 STR.

extremely same

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

You're definitely right, but I think what we have now is the "fixed" version and this was the fix.

At one point (and possibly I'm thinking of something as far back as the late '90s, but I have a feeling it was a 5th ed playtest), you could jump every round if you wanted, but it had to be either before or after your movement, not during. So if you wanted to go unusually far in a round, that was fine as long as you jumped the first or last bit in a straight line, but you couldn't (eg) run 5', jump 5', and then run 5' more.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arthil posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

extremely same

This is what the Dash action is for.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I dunno why you'd bother with any rules here beyond the general one of "are there interesting consequences to both success and failure here", just like any other skill check. 10 feet but you're being chased by hobgoblins throwing spears and holding a Faberge egg? Make the check. 25 feet after having cleared a dungeon with no time pressure? Don't bother.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

This is why I don't measure gaps. "It is sufficently wide and dramatic to require a check, however many feet that is."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Which is why Fighters suck. All their advantages are in the rules nobody likes to use.

Which isn't an attack against people that do that. The rules are bad and the 5e philosophy for rules patching is to add a spell that fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Trojan Kaiju posted:

So by this same logic I would assume they're allowing saving throws to meet? Or are they just inconsistent?

Saves always succeeded on meeting the DC though? That's why his rule makes no sense, because every other check is "meet or exceed"