Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Thyrork posted:

I remembered something silly, for the longest time I thought IDKFA stood for ID Kick Fucking Ass. Explaining why it gave all the guns, and tried to understand what IDDQD could have stood for.

The one that always hosed with me was IDSPISPOPD, because it was such a sloppy and hard to remember code that did the same thing as IDCLIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'll never forget "IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT" for obvious reasons

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lapmylovepump

Carmageddon was great.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Thyrork posted:

I remembered something silly, for the longest time I thought IDKFA stood for ID Kick Fucking Ass. Explaining why it gave all the guns, and tried to understand what IDDQD could have stood for.

OCRemix has a Doom album called Delta-Q-Delta and I cannot loving BELIEVE how long it took me to figure out what that was a reference to.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I'll never forget "IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT" for obvious reasons

I think PC Zone still printed that one!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

eriamjh

Code to fly in Jedi Knight

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Convex posted:

I think PC Zone still printed that one!

I do like that their cheat for unlocking every car is a reference to a really dumb joke (That I loved) from an ITV children's show about goblins (Kevwozere)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started playing Golden Souls 2. At first it was just 'eh', but after the first two levels the experience improves as you visit cooler places and the level design is more involved. There are pyramids full of traps, scenarios with an Arabian flair, underwater grottos, cliffs played on sunset, beaches of white sand, haunted houses, desert areas with Western theme, sunken ships, and a long etc. Really, there are a lot of underwater parts but don't worry, you hold your breath indefinitely. The gameplay, as you may know already, mixes action with a bit more of platforming (including big jumps!) and some puzzles and collectathons. When I first started playing I thought 'oh I'm going to rebind quicksave to Q or some other nearby key' with all the jumps over death cliffs you have to make, but after a while you get on the groove and get better on the platforming, even if the movement is slippery as always. I mean, you still have to quicksave a bunch, but not as much as it seemed at first.

One curious thing is that you can leave a level, go to the shop and buy stuff, and then go back to the level and resume it on the same state it was. You can 'optimize' a bit, even, going back a completed level where you know you left a ton of rocket ammo (because the game gave it to you to fight a boss) to take it back.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 25, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Revisiting levels is important later if you want to get the True Ending™ because it requires you to find out every secret and every item.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of Golden Souls...
https://twitter.com/Batandy_/status/1132241592109154304

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh wow!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm finding that GS2 can be pretty tricky, in one level I was stuck, so had to watch a YT playthrough and learn that way that some maps can have MORE THAN ONE EXIT (each one unlocking a different path in the hub). And once you go past the first 15-17 maps, their complexity increases and sometimes the mod goes a lil' too far in using switches without absolutely no clue of what it activated.

On the economy side, I would like to have the ability to buy big coins in exchange of 1000 normal coins, that way you make a money sink and you help the player in getting upgrades he is only short of 2-3 big coins.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 25, 2019

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I feel dumb for asking but, is it the doomguy coin or the QR code at the right column? I'm phoneposting and cant scan that code to know what is it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Guillermus posted:

I feel dumb for asking but, is it the doomguy coin or the QR code at the right column? I'm phoneposting and cant scan that code to know what is it.

The latter. Here's a direct link to the result for those that don't have a QR scanner.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

After 64 and World, he's moving on to Sunshine huh? The mantling/scramble seems like a big step up for how the platforming feels.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay I'm sold, I saw a video of the AMC TC. Is there a legal way to get Duke 3D that isn't a poo poo version like World Tour or whatever?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Glagha posted:

Okay I'm sold, I saw a video of the AMC TC. Is there a legal way to get Duke 3D that isn't a poo poo version like World Tour or whatever?

Digitally, only World Tour. You can probably find a cheap disc copy on eBay though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

World Tour is cool, the new episode rocks. And you can use the ol .grp file there in eduke32.

Shoehead posted:

I do like that their cheat for unlocking every car is a reference to a really dumb joke (That I loved) from an ITV children's show about goblins (Kevwozere)

Google has failed me, I would like to know about this ITV goblins show.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
AMC is standalone, I think.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1132450136766988288?s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So the free megawad isn't available but the premium one is? What? Am I supposed to get a link if I ordered the box or something?

Edit: Oh, they added a $6.66 digital-only tier. Guess I have to wait.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gonna buy and play he poo poo out of that after the Raptors game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, seems like if you ordered the physical edition you have to wait for it to actually get to you in order to play it, whereas that link there is for the Buckethead-included digital version.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

fadam posted:

Gonna buy and play he poo poo out of that after the Raptors game.

Finals baby

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sometimes good guys finish first.

EDIT: Sigil seems cool but I might be a nerd because I like the midi better than the actual guitar music

fadam fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 26, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm only up to E5M4 but I'm digging it so far. The maps have been pretty short and straightforward but there's a lot of neat stuff going on and the secrets are fun to look for.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So do any of the Made To Order options actually decrease enemy reaction times? Because I'm in E1 of Blood and I'm savescumming practically every room due to speed-of-light hitscanners. The one game it reminds me most of is RTCW, except I'm dying in seconds in this one. I do know that there are fewer cultists in later episodes though. Despite all that, I really do like the game and can see why it's so revered.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

So do any of the Made To Order options actually decrease enemy reaction times? Because I'm in E1 of Blood and I'm savescumming practically every room due to speed-of-light hitscanners. The one game it reminds me most of is RTCW, except I'm dying in seconds in this one. I do know that there are fewer cultists in later episodes though. Despite all that, I really do like the game and can see why it's so revered.

I lowered the difficulty to the second one in one moment and I think it was the same, but at least they were more innacurate so sometimes they wouldn't hit you. Not the most elegant solution, this problem was already 'solved' by Doom years before(have less hitscanners and give them reaction times)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I thought ducking made it harder for hitscanners to hit you

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is a new Hell-themed single-level Doom WAD that is making the rounds. It's pretty impressive graphically and with grandiose architecture. It's called Hurt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCLfjuvs1o

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Turin Turambar posted:

There is a new Hell-themed single-level Doom WAD that is making the rounds. It's pretty impressive graphically and with grandiose architecture. It's called Hurt.
I watched a few minutes and it has baby cacodemons :kimchi:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Glagha posted:

it's standalone so you don't need anything else to play it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Turin Turambar posted:

This is just ridiculous. :stare:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you're into cool-looking GZDoom maps, definitely check out Verdant Citadel, Paradise, and Hell-Forged too.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

gmanlives just posted a video on SIGIL and uh, well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-7MaR8PpI

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I agree that there are too many Cacodemons jammed in places they shouldn't be, but the rest of the things he complained about are things that I enjoy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There was no way Sigil was going to be good enough to be worth 166 bucks. You bought the box because you had money to burn on collectables, not because you wanted to spend 166 bucks on a Doom 1 episode map pack in 2019.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sitting next to Hurt like that it doesn't look great, but not running 10ft backwards every time you open a door is some rookie poo poo :laugh:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wonder why Romero has never made any maps for Doom II. The "too many Cacodemons" problem is common for Doom 1 maps because it's literally the only non-boss enemy stronger than a pink demon. I don't really have that much fun playing Doom 1 no matter how great the maps may be because the main gameplay loop is either shooting small trash enemies one-by-one with a shotgun or chipping away at the two bullet sponge enemies, demon and cacodemon. Having the SSG also means that Doom II maps can be less sparing on tougher enemies without the map turning into a slog.

The GZDoom renderer settings that guy is using for that review look absolutely terrible so I'm going to reserve judgement on how it actually looks until I see it running under Crispy Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wait, sigil isn't even in doom 2?

lmao

i was going to come here and post that sigil better be amazing if it wants to match up to the first episode and couple levels of episode 2 i've played of eviternity but i think i already have my answer