Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Unlucky7 posted:

Crap, I have no idea which buildings I should build (Starting as Cao Cao). Should I concentrate on infrastructure first or go straight to that recruitment office?

You should plan on at least having one of those anti corruption buildings if you think a province is going to be a moneymaker. Corruption gets HUGE in late game when you have lots of settlements, I think the corruption cap might be in the high 60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So is it a sound strategy to rush a trebuchet, even if only for the usual boon of forcing the AI to come to you in a fight?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

So is it a sound strategy to rush a trebuchet, even if only for the usual boon of forcing the AI to come to you in a fight?

I'd say yes, plus it makes sieges much easier since you can bust holes in the walls so your generals can conduct bad rear end raids and soften up the defenders.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I've hit that stride in a TW game where I outnumber my would-be opponents in terms of wealth and can just send two or three armies together to auto-resolve through everything without to much worry. Mostly because they're at war with everyone and are having a hard time rubbing their armies where they need to go, which is probably everywhere.

of course this means no one will let me into their alliance so I can't chill, be friends and confederate. ugh. MORE WAR IT IS THEN

toasterwarrior posted:

all you need to get a treb is a strategist (blue boi) so not much rushing is involved

just you need to find one. which can be tricky.

and not want to level him up as an admin because that "nah just get 70% more money" is pretty big

Kanos posted:

God loving drat it, what the hell? I'm making progress as Zheng Jiang and torpedoing up Yuan Shao's rear end before he can start death balling, I'm crushing him into paste, and then I get a loving giant shitpile of messages that show Yuan Shao successfully inviting LITERALLY 11 FACTIONS into his newly-made coalition in the same turn somehow, rendering this campaign completely dead in the water.

One or two? Okay, I've pissed off some people, fine. A double digit amount, all at once?

you're a barbarian bandit, etc.

Keep going you'll probably be fine. Just because they're at war doesn't mean they'll push their armies at you, particularly if they're in wars. You can gradually peace them out - heck, they'll probably give you money.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 26, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
God loving drat it, what the hell? I'm making progress as Zheng Jiang and torpedoing up Yuan Shao's rear end before he can start death balling, I'm crushing him into paste, and then I get a loving giant shitpile of messages that show Yuan Shao successfully inviting LITERALLY 11 FACTIONS into his newly-made coalition in the same turn somehow, rendering this campaign completely dead in the water.

One or two? Okay, I've pissed off some people, fine. A double digit amount, all at once?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
King Kong has gone nuts on Yuan Shao. Do I pull my spy from the latter now or does the rear end kicking make it more likely she'll get hired?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Kanos posted:

Apparently this is a bug that's being investigated. They're asking for saves from before it happens to see what's up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gamerofthegame posted:

you're a barbarian bandit, etc.

Keep going you'll probably be fine. Just because they're at war doesn't mean they'll push their armies at you, particularly if they're in wars. You can gradually peace them out - heck, they'll probably give you money.

I'm pushing on and it's basically goddamn Serious Sam with infinite waves of poo poo flying at me at all times. It's kind of exhausting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Early-mid game random AIs do seem to enjoy declaring wars, doing nothing, and then offering money for peace.

Except for dumbass Big Dong, who will constantly demand vassalage, cash, or children's toys from me despite being unable to touch me.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Early-mid game random AIs do seem to enjoy declaring wars, doing nothing, and then offering money for peace.

Except for dumbass Big Dong, who will constantly demand vassalage, cash, or children's toys from me despite being unable to touch me.

My favorite is when the AI both demands my vassalage and says they'll protect my autonomy.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Why does the cursor disappear when you hover over enemies in battle? Seems weird, just makes it hard to keep track of poo poo as you're scrolling around. I tried looking around in the options but couldn't find anything about it.

Apart from that, game seems pretty cool. On a hard drive still (buying another SSD to install the game on soon) but the load times are a lot better than Warhammer. My only issue is I'm running into the same lack of surety I always do in these kinds of games, can never be sure when I should be building more armies, how far I should be expanding, etc. Playing as Cao Cao, I've taken the initial commandery and the one to the north with two settlements or whatever they're called then got the mission to kill the guy to the east, I take it that's his historical dilemma thing right?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 26, 2019

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

all you need to get a treb is a strategist (blue boi) so not much rushing is involved
just you need to find one. which can be tricky.
and not want to level him up as an admin because that "nah just get 70% more money" is pretty big

Your administrators can be generals, and the skill trees are pretty random (and basically don't matter on record mode if they aren't actually leading the stack).

Pylons posted:

My favorite is when the AI both demands my vassalage and says they'll protect my autonomy.

This means that while you're being extorted for cash for protection, you can still declare war and they "promise" not to annex you down the road. Without that autonomy guarantee I'm not sure what, if any, diplomacy options aside from independence you have.

If you want to punch yourself in the dick, vassalize a bunch of dudes while also guaranteeing them autonomy, then watch them drag you into war with the entire map.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 26, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Trebs change the situation yeah, but I have way more issues with regular minor town towers than wall ones. Walls have blind spots and multiple methods to avoid or cap them. The unwalled settlements are just a series of chokepoints with perfect tower coverage. You either destroy the towers or eat shots while you clear out the choke somehow.
someone is making some early mods to address the tower issue. check them out here: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/btau50/mod_nerfed_arrow_towers_ranged_units_flaming/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wonder if you can mod in portraits for historical characters who currently just have generic protraits. I wonder how long until someone makes a Koei portrait mod.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

McTimmy posted:

God dammit Liu Bei! How the hell did you confederate one of my vassals!?

It's great.

He did that on Liu Zhang when I was about to take over the Chengdu area which really amused me.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is the reliability problem from the other games intentional this time? I mean where an ally attacks your vassal and you get the penalty for attacking your ally when you agree to protect your vassal as you are bound by treaty to do. Shouldn't the aggressor get the penalty...

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Party In My Diapee posted:

Is the reliability problem from the other games intentional this time? I mean where an ally attacks your vassal and you get the penalty for attacking your ally when you agree to protect your vassal as you are bound by treaty to do. Shouldn't the aggressor get the penalty...
Yes just ran into this 2x in the same turn. Dudes declaring on your vassals forcing you to break a treaty counts as you being untrustworthy. And if you leave your vassal out to dry you also get hit with untrustworthy lmao.

It's hard to believe that this was overlooked given the workup the entirety of diplomacy was given, but there you have it, classic Total War fuckiness.

:dice: (was there ever a total war variant of this?)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 26, 2019

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Of course the moment I could pick between characters I knew I had to choose the bandit babe. "very hard". Surely it doesn't mean anything ....

If I had known that I can't vassalize anything but Yuan Shao could even without bordering those lesser factions, I would have wiped them out ASAP. Now I got the silk road and everything north of yellow river and every turn I'm hoping that he doesn't turn on me until I can take them on. There's still this little thing that I'm trading with them and that's quite a lot of my income. : D

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've got a whiny low satisfaction general who I keep around because he has two units of Warriors of Ye. What's the worst that can happen if I stop giving him undeserved promotions?

Right now he's in a stack with Zhao Yun and Xiahou Yuan who are super loyal.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yuan Shao declared on me as soon as he saw me, then kept trying to bankrupt me in exchange for "peace". Since I'm Cao Cao I told him to get lost, then went and egged Yuan Shu on until he started kicking Yuan Shao for me. After that Yuan Shao finally came around and offered me some cash so I wouldn't march an army over to kick him when he was down.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

sassassin posted:

I've got a whiny low satisfaction general who I keep around because he has two units of Warriors of Ye. What's the worst that can happen if I stop giving him undeserved promotions?

Right now he's in a stack with Zhao Yun and Xiahou Yuan who are super loyal.

if he's not in a position of authority on your ruling council all he can really do is peace out with his retinue, which could be either mildly annoying or really bad depending on your military circumstances

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you get him killed, his replacement keeps the retinue iirc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wonder if you can mod in portraits for historical characters who currently just have generic protraits. I wonder how long until someone makes a Koei portrait mod.

I'm pretty surprised that there are so many historical characters with generic portraits. It couldn't have been that hard to assign a few artists to whip up a couple dozen extra portraits?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How old do my faction leader's daughters have to be before I can start marrying them off?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Haven't gotten the chance to play this alot due to travelling alot this past month (and going away again tomorrow), but so far the game actually seems very neat. It also runs very well for me, much better than either Warhammers and I think also Rome 2.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

sassassin posted:

How old do my faction leader's daughters have to be before I can start marrying them off?

Seems like everyone becomes active at 18 years old.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm pretty surprised that there are so many historical characters with generic portraits. It couldn't have been that hard to assign a few artists to whip up a couple dozen extra portraits?

I was particularly shocked that Cao Ren, of all people, was generic.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ninjahedgehog posted:

My Cao Cao campaign has been a bit of a mixed bag so far.

On one hand, Yuan Shao has conquered or vassalized pretty much everyone north of the Yangtze, and has four doomstacks beelining towards my territory. Meanwhile, Sun Jian has taken the entire south and it's only a matter of time before he decides I'm the next target.

On the other hand, I just hired Lu Bu.

:getin:

Yeah having Cao Cao being the recommended "easy" campaign I think is a bit of a misnomer. You are stuck between a rock and a lot of hard places with him. Sun Jian should have been labeled the easy campaign because all you have to do is look pretty and take the south for free.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dramicus posted:

On an unrelated note: Does anyone know why Chinese armor in ~200 AD seems to be kinda poo poo compared to what was being used in Europe at the same time? Chinese weapons seem perfectly fine and quite advanced, but their armor seems to be a bit flimsy. Mostly leather and cloth with some iron being sparingly used in scales, certainly no steel plate to be seen. Even the "barbarian" Celts had better stuff. Was it a matter of having ridiculously huge populations and thus too many men to fully equip? It would make sense that they would go for whatever could be mass-produced over full-body steel armor.

A couple pages back but: the Han Dynasty had a much different military history than the Romans. Whereas the Romans united a Mediterranean full of strong kingdoms with a variety of different military traditions, and always had a rival empire in Persia, from basically the moment Liu Bang defeated the State of Chu, there wasn't really any other large settled civilization to challenge the Han. Their biggest challenge was the steppe nomad Xiongnu confederation, and their military evolved to be more mobile in response. The proto-Viet state in South China inherited their military from the Qin and idk about Koreans but both were easily crushed by Han Wudi nearly 300 years prior to the start of the Three Kingdoms proper. So they never had an impetus to develop heavily armored elite infantry like the Romans did.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd love a Koei weapons mod too. Xiahou Dun is still the Baddest Dude in China, but he'd be even cooler with his gigantic scimitar. :black101:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
What's the 'canonical' path look like with Liu Bei? Do you get events to eat your cousin's lands or anything like that? I've just been blobbing around Dong by using the peach garden oath stack to smash anything in my path (Cao Cao is next, after I bullied Yuan Shao into paying me a ton of money, since I ambushed his stack), but there's no way I can confederate the guy the quests are telling me to right now.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I really like the game, good on CA for taking the hit for the delay, worth the wait.

I agree that the towers are really excessive, but at the same time a couple of trebs deal with them easily enough, or their presence gets the entire AI army to sally out through the same pathway, blobbing and slowing each other down to a crawl for said trebs to rack up over a thousand kills. Also I've gotten a lot of heroic victories on L/L using the tiny basic garrisons + tower combo.

I got Sun Ce, Quan, and Ren married as they came of age, and it's only been the last 15 turns where all three finally gave me a child, on the same turn, and it has happened now twice. Suffice it to say the Sun family name will have no problem living on.

Yuan Shao, the God of Vassals, is a problem, but not necessarily because he has a ton of vassals, it's that no one ever backstabs/betrays him, even when I or the AI supports them doing so. Being vassalized by him apparently turns even Zhang Yan a motherfucking bandit king into the most loyal subject, who will throw everything and anything at his master's enemies no matter what. Except Yuan Shu, it was kind of funny seeing him get turned into Shao's vassal and then immediately breakaway time after time, until finally Shao just destroyed him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I kinda wish that someone cooler than dumb Yuan Shao got to be the release-day OP dude.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
So when the 3 Kingdoms period actually starts, it looks like military allies don't automatically become one of your rival kingdoms because in my game, Liu Bei (3rd in power) got skipped over for Shi Xie (4th in power) who's stuck all the way down in the very south under Sun Jian (2nd in power).

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Carver posted:

He did that on Liu Zhang when I was about to take over the Chengdu area which really amused me.

Ah, that's the exact same thing that happened (though with Liu Zhang's heir). Maybe he gets a special event for it? Makes sense.

Ragingsheep posted:

So when the 3 Kingdoms period actually starts, it looks like military allies don't automatically become one of your rival kingdoms because in my game, Liu Bei (3rd in power) got skipped over for Shi Xie (4th in power) who's stuck all the way down in the very south under Sun Jian (2nd in power).

Sometimes it almost seems random. Gongsun Zan became one of the kingdoms in my game, despite being a vassal and being weaker than Yuan Shao whom I wasn't at peace with.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
For all the advances in the campaign mode, there's some serious bullshit that 150+ relationship 'trusting/loyal' military alliance factions just peace out on you and join Yuan Shao when you've both been at war with him for five years and he's the #1 biggest threat in the game.

There are also some really wierd choices for who is generic (Cao Pi was literally the guy who finally ended the Han! He's kind of a Big Deal), especially when it comes to which factions they try to join. They should at least try to join the 'right' faction first. Guo Jia, Dian Wei and Xu Chu shouldn't immediately start working for Lady Wu without at least letting Cao Cao have a look-in first. Going 50 turns without ANY strategists was annoying. Doesn't have to be a huge and comprehensive roster with a strict grading system like the KOEI Romance of the Three Kingdoms series, but a quick look at once of the older Dynasty Warriors should do...

The AI should be forced to make historical choices if you do so - Liu Bei shouldn't be able to duck out on Tao Qian when Cao Cao comes knocking. Add warnings like 'Liu Bei likes you too much - choosing the historical approach will send him a nasty note' on the tooltips if necessary and you're worried about players having invested lots in something that's about to be changed by fiat.

It would also be nice to have a reason to use Gold and Red commanders - maybe relax the recruitment rules so you can hire the non-militia stuff as the wrong colour but pay more up-front? As-is, Blue and Green seem way, way, way better.

Give me more (any) scripted missions. They are far more interesting than the regular line battles. After they appeared in Warhammer 2 I was expecting stuff like the Battle of Guandu to be a Thing, and they'd be a good way to trigger stuff like sending Liu Bei south even if it just gave you a tiny bonus otherwise.

Hell, make the next Saga game 90% scripted missions, sort of like those old combat mission titles where you retained units over a campaign but didn't get to pick your battles.

(Also yes I'd totally be playing the Koei strategy titles instead if they didn't go to a completely poo poo battle system after 11)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I have a feeling most of the generic portraits and models for important historical characters is a thing that will be fleshed out over time in (free) future patches.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Nullkigan posted:

For all the advances in the campaign mode, there's some serious bullshit that 150+ relationship 'trusting/loyal' military alliance factions just peace out on you and join Yuan Shao when you've both been at war with him for five years and he's the #1 biggest threat in the game.

Isn't that part of the confirmed bug?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Either free patches or DLC. Like, get the Nanman DLC and you get all the Nanman portraits, plus as free-LC we'll throw in portraits for these ten idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Third World Reagan posted:

Isn't that part of the confirmed bug?

Yeah, Yuan Shao's faction mechanic when he's AI is basically "everyone falls on their own swords to suck his dick"