Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

just another posted:

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion, and I'm in the mood for something sci-fi. Preferably something harder and less space opera-y.

Already tried Saga and it didn't hold my interest. Manga is fine, too.

2001 Nights is good, if you can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How are the Zeb Wells and Abnett & Lanning New Mutants runs?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I could use comic recommendations a project I'm working on. I'm about to run a game of Masks: a New Generation, an RPG about Teen Titan / Young Justice-esque teen/tween supers and their messy personal lives. Our game premise has these kids as the only people who somehow escaped a "rewrite" of their world into an Injustice-like super-fascist state, so that they now find themselves surrounded by jackbooted versions of their friends and mentors, and their former rivals and villains may now be the core of the resistance.

So far my touchstones are Injustice, the early volumes of Runaways, the animated Young Justice, and the new Wolfenstein games. But I've been out of the comics scene since the early 2000s, and I'd appreciate recommendations that might be inspirational. Thanks!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dynamo 5 and Danger Club both deal with teen heroes having to deal with things left over by predecessors. Both are really good.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Kestral posted:

I could use comic recommendations a project I'm working on. I'm about to run a game of Masks: a New Generation, an RPG about Teen Titan / Young Justice-esque teen/tween supers and their messy personal lives. Our game premise has these kids as the only people who somehow escaped a "rewrite" of their world into an Injustice-like super-fascist state, so that they now find themselves surrounded by jackbooted versions of their friends and mentors, and their former rivals and villains may now be the core of the resistance.

So far my touchstones are Injustice, the early volumes of Runaways, the animated Young Justice, and the new Wolfenstein games. But I've been out of the comics scene since the early 2000s, and I'd appreciate recommendations that might be inspirational. Thanks!

Kieron Gillen’s Young Avengers run from 2013 is pretty much entirely about teen heroes and their messy personal lives. It’s also extremely good and only 13 issues long

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Kieron Gillen’s Young Avengers run from 2013 is pretty much entirely about teen heroes and their messy personal lives. It’s also extremely good and only 13 issues long

It's also about how parents just don't understand.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kestral posted:

The Cloak and Dagger TV series is pretty good on that front, even if it only has two super-teens.

(Also it's just plain good and more people should watch it).

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
These all look great, adding them to the list immediately – thanks! On a related note, are there any good “Superheroes vs the Fash / a tyrannical occupation” arcs / series lying around, either old or new?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kestral posted:

These all look great, adding them to the list immediately – thanks! On a related note, are there any good “Superheroes vs the Fash / a tyrannical occupation” arcs / series lying around, either old or new?

The radio show had a series where he took on the KKK, it was instrumental in dismantling the real KKK too. No idea how you'd listen to it today, probably make a good podcast though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

The radio show had a series where he took on the KKK, it was instrumental in dismantling the real KKK too. No idea how you'd listen to it today, probably make a good podcast though.

Drunk History had a segment on it. This is all I see on YouTube, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gopZ2X4FUiM

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Drunk History had a segment on it. This is all I see on YouTube, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gopZ2X4FUiM

There's also a book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the actual serial is on Archive.org.

DC are about to put out 'Superman Smashes The Klan' as a graphic novel for kids, about a American-Chinese girl in the 40s who's inspired by that radio show.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/19/superman-smashes-klan-graphic-novel/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 30, 2019

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I just finished reading Green Lantern from 2004-2011 and am now at the start of the new 52. What should I read going forward? There seem to be a bajillion Green Lantern series at this point.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Keep reading Johns' series. I skipped GLC. The GL crossover events aren't great, but eventually Charles Soule gets on Red Lanterns, and that's totally great.
After Godhead, I fell off (besides Omega Men, which features Kyle) till Grant Morrison's new series, which I'm enjoying.

edit: If you liked Tomasi and Gleason's GLC from the pre-N52 era, follow them into N52 'Batman and Robin' and then Rebirth 'Superman'. They're a great team.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 3, 2019

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks, I really liked Tomasi and Gleason’s other work.

Is the New 52 GL stuff worth continuing after John’s is replaced?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kestral posted:

The Phantom has fought both the KKK and right-wing extremists:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alhazred posted:

The Phantom has fought both the KKK and right-wing extremists:

The "Surprise!" sticker in the bottom of the left corner is a nice touch

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I just got an iPad mini so I signed up for comiXology unlimited trial. Been really enjoying comics, I never got too serious as a kid so still trying to understand the series naming conventions.

So far I’ve finished the following:

Spider Man Brand New Day
Avengers Infinity Gauntlet
Punisher Max Vol 1
Last Days of American Crime

I really enjoyed Punisher and Last days’ story lines. I found myself trying to guess what was going to happen with Avengers since I’ve seen the movies. Punisher was so separate from the Netflix show I didn’t fall into that.

The artwork for Last Days was weird, I had a hard time following who each character was since they didn’t have a lot of detail. Avengers looked really dated, and Punisher was amazing.

Any character stories that are good but haven’t been recently told through movies/tv? I know that’s kind of broad but really open to anything at this point to get a feel for artists/stories.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you should really really read the rest of punisher max

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

site posted:

you should really really read the rest of punisher max

2nding this.

Also, check out Monstress.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you want to read about a ship full of pirate lesbians, raven the pirate pincess year one is available on unlimited iirc

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Speaking of Punisher MAX, am I right that it's not on Marvel Unlimited? Just want to check before grabbing it on comixology but MU isn't the easiest thing to navigate

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

cohsae posted:

Speaking of Punisher MAX, am I right that it's not on Marvel Unlimited? Just want to check before grabbing it on comixology but MU isn't the easiest thing to navigate

There's no MAX stuff at all on MU. They do have some of Ennis' Knights run in Punisher but it's nowhere near as good

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

savesthedayrocks posted:

I just got an iPad mini so I signed up for comiXology unlimited trial. Been really enjoying comics, I never got too serious as a kid so still trying to understand the series naming conventions.

So far I’ve finished the following:

Spider Man Brand New Day
Avengers Infinity Gauntlet
Punisher Max Vol 1
Last Days of American Crime

I really enjoyed Punisher and Last days’ story lines. I found myself trying to guess what was going to happen with Avengers since I’ve seen the movies. Punisher was so separate from the Netflix show I didn’t fall into that.

The artwork for Last Days was weird, I had a hard time following who each character was since they didn’t have a lot of detail. Avengers looked really dated, and Punisher was amazing.

Any character stories that are good but haven’t been recently told through movies/tv? I know that’s kind of broad but really open to anything at this point to get a feel for artists/stories.

Spider-Man: Blue
Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Hawkeye by Fraction, then Lemire
Black Widow by Edmondson, then Waid
Moon Knight by Ellis, then skip to Lemire (the runs by Wood and Bunn are nowhere as good)
X-23 by Marjorie Liu

I also liked Silver Surfer Requiem, but it's out of continuity.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me about the Donny Cates Silver Surfer, I'm a big Surfer geek

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I finally got around to reading some cosmic Marvel (specifically everything from Annihilation to the Realm of Kings omnibus). I really enjoyed it. Loved the Nova corps destruction and rebuild the inhumans/galactic politics stuff and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Also loved Moondragon and Phyla-Vell. Only problem is I don't know where to go from here.

I know I could pick up Bendis run on Guardians but Bendis is so hit and miss I don't know if it would scratch that itch.

I'm also open into looking into older cosmic marvel stuff so any recommendations there would also be appreciated.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My favorite Marvel cosmic is Jim Starlin's Warlock run.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Jim Starlin cosmic is pretty good. Start with Thanos Quest and just keep going.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Starlin is the place to go to for Cosmic Marvel, but going in at Thanos Quest is entering in act 3 of his story. It's more fun to go back and work your way forward and Starlin keeps spinning this bigger and bigger thing until he winds up at Infinity Gauntlet. So start with his run on Captain Marvel and stop reading after the Thanos war. Then pick things up with his run on Warlock. Once you've finished that story (which wraps up in Avengers and Marvel-Two-in-One annuals), you do a quick stopover at a graphic novel whose title is a spoiler and then go to his run on Silver Surfer and that takes you to the big events.

(I keep meaning to read Starlin's Dreadstar which is his indie cosmic space opera that he did in the 80's. But you asked about Cosmic Marvel stuff and if I started talking about big space operas published in part by First Comics in the 1980's then I'd start talking about Nexus and never stop.)

Others that might get overlooked: Quasar is a lot of fun as Mark Gruenwald used cosmic adventures as an opportunity to bring out every obscure character he ever wanted to use (The Chief Examiner from the Questprobe series of text adventures is back!). The Englehart Dr. Strange run starting in Marvel Premier and then going to his own series in the 70's often gets very trippy and cosmic; a surprisingly large amount of concepts in cosmic Marvel come from Dr. Strange. And then there's Kirby's Eternals series which I am including out of a sense of obligation but don't feel like you have to read them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I actually meant start with Thanos War, which encompasses the early captain marvel stuff.

I haven’t read Thanos quest in forever.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dreadstar is p cool. The prose gets a bit purple, and you realize he's incapable of drawing people without pirate boots, but stands up today.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm trying to read Beasts of Burden but I'm really confused on the order. I got the collection off comixology which is apparently issues 1-14, but in singles they only have 4 issues which appear to be out of order. They also don't seem to have anything not in the collection but I know I've seen panels that weren't in the book.
What, if anything, do I want to read after that collected edition?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can check the collections vs singles on the wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_of_Burden#Collected_editions

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Has anyone read the brubaker/epting series called velvet? Saw it advertised while looking the their cap run, and their take on a spy thriller starring a woman sounds like something I would want to check out

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

site posted:

Has anyone read the brubaker/epting series called velvet? Saw it advertised while looking the their cap run, and their take on a spy thriller starring a woman sounds like something I would want to check out

Decent, I was entertained. But at the same time, it wouldn't be a big deal if you missed it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked it. It’s “what if moneypenny was actually the biggest badass of all”.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Velvet was well done, but not as gripping as any of Brubaker's collaborations with Sean Phillips. (And I still stand by liking Sleeper the best of all of them.)

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Starlin is the place to go to for Cosmic Marvel, but going in at Thanos Quest is entering in act 3 of his story. It's more fun to go back and work your way forward and Starlin keeps spinning this bigger and bigger thing until he winds up at Infinity Gauntlet. So start with his run on Captain Marvel and stop reading after the Thanos war. Then pick things up with his run on Warlock. Once you've finished that story (which wraps up in Avengers and Marvel-Two-in-One annuals), you do a quick stopover at a graphic novel whose title is a spoiler and then go to his run on Silver Surfer and that takes you to the big events.

(I keep meaning to read Starlin's Dreadstar which is his indie cosmic space opera that he did in the 80's. But you asked about Cosmic Marvel stuff and if I started talking about big space operas published in part by First Comics in the 1980's then I'd start talking about Nexus and never stop.)

Others that might get overlooked: Quasar is a lot of fun as Mark Gruenwald used cosmic adventures as an opportunity to bring out every obscure character he ever wanted to use (The Chief Examiner from the Questprobe series of text adventures is back!). The Englehart Dr. Strange run starting in Marvel Premier and then going to his own series in the 70's often gets very trippy and cosmic; a surprisingly large amount of concepts in cosmic Marvel come from Dr. Strange. And then there's Kirby's Eternals series which I am including out of a sense of obligation but don't feel like you have to read them.

Thanks for this. Really helpful stuff. My base assumption was to start at infinity gauntlet so I'm glad I checked here first.

Speaking of Kirbys Eternals I've always wanted to read that, though I think it's been out of print for years. There's a comic shop not far from me that had the omnibus for £250. Was sorely tempted by it but it got snapped up before I could get the funds for it :(.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you just want to read it, vol 1 is on comixology for 15 bucks

https://m.comixology.com/Eternals-by-Jack-Kirby-Vol-1/digital-comic/428571

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/_gabrielpicolo/status/1134899263744413696

I guess he has to drawn one comic for every Titan before doing one with the full group