Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Yeah but you’ve got no shot. 8 in front of you.

Oh man, I figured like 1 or 2, crazy waitlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

you can come skate with us in Kansas City! they don't charge us and it is a really good skate

I’m flying places constantly how was I not invited previously

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

you can come skate with us in Kansas City! they don't charge us and it is a really good skate

Sure! Next time I'm in KC! (I've never been)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I figured it was implied but of course you're invited

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

You're too good?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Got my third career hat trick today. :tipshat:

The first two involved the same teammate feeding me perfect passes right to my stick for easy one-timers. The third one was from the top of the circle, I took a pass from behind the net and wristed it far side. It hit the inside of the post and bounced in. Definitely my best game in a long time.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I went out to goaltend at the beginner clinic last night to help out a guy on my team who bought all the goalie gear (plus they did 40 minutes of scrimmage).

I went about 25 minutes on one side, then switched sides with the new goalie. When I got over to his net, it was completely off moorings and my blocker post was even with that side of the crease.

That's when they finally scored on me... when I was turned around to try to straighten out the net. The next goal anyone got on me was one of the coaches, who let out a between his own legs flip as I was sliding from glove to blocker.

But the best one for me was when I finally got fed up with the net being so far off that I put my paddle on it and really went to work on that net. Of course they opposing group broke in, so I turned to identify the puck carrier and all the options, saw the pass, and slid over to gobble up the shot. I didn't even bother grabbing my paddle.

I guess that works for getting the G4 catcher and blocker out to start breaking them in.

New guy did pretty well and even had a couple of doozy saves, but he's not quite getting butterfly dropping right. To be fair, his leg was pretty bruised up and I don't blame him for not going down.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dropping into the butterfly is tough at first, especially when you're trying to figure out how to strap your pads. I wish we actually did a skills clinic at my local rink, I'd volunteer for net duty all day long just for the ice time.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Dropping into the butterfly is tough at first, especially when you're trying to figure out how to strap your pads. I wish we actually did a skills clinic at my local rink, I'd volunteer for net duty all day long just for the ice time.

Oh, I remember how difficult it was. I actually spent a good 10 minutes with him before the skate working on proper strapping. He’ll have a small group or one-on-one lesson on Thursday. It’s mostly him really learning now to properly drive his knees.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Oh, I remember how difficult it was. I actually spent a good 10 minutes with him before the skate working on proper strapping. He’ll have a small group or one-on-one lesson on Thursday. It’s mostly him really learning now to properly drive his knees.

Yeah. Many beginners think you just drop down to your knees but it's a definite drive motion when done properly.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Since I'm a brand new captain in my D-League, I was diligent about attending the new player evaluation skates and taking notes. There are 8 teams in the league, but there were never more than 3 captains at each evaluation, and I was the only captain who went to both evaluation sessions. Everyone else just depended on a number rating between 1 and 4 given to each player by a coach watching the evaluation to use in the draft. We had limits on who we could draft based on those numbers, so I made sure to maximize the value I got from each player, choosing who I thought were the best from each rating level, while the other captains picked seemingly at random, since all they had to go on was a number.

So even though we lost our best player in the offseason, I'm extremely happy with the new players I drafted, and I'm hoping we can make another run at beating the one team that wins every loving year.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Played my 500th beer league game tonight, got a goal, too!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bgreman posted:

Played my 500th beer league game tonight, got a goal, too!

Serious question do you keep a spreadsheet or log or something

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Who’s a stupid goalie and is playing in four games this weekend?

This jackass.

It’s probably a good thing I haven’t sold off any of my last set of equipment yet, means I can use one set for one team and the newer stuff for the team I captain. And not be so god drat sweaty all weekend.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

sellouts posted:

Serious question do you keep a spreadsheet or log or something

Yes

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

oh my god

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s sick. Pivot tables unite. Started playing in the summer of 2010. I’d feel pretty depressed if I tracked stick time and gear costs tbh.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I prefer to just throw money at hockey and remain blissfully unaware of the fact that I'm probably spending way too much on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I prefer to just throw money at hockey and remain blissfully unaware of the fact that I'm probably spending way too much on it.

I'm dropping about $2000 a year on ice time, which is 2-3 skates a week. There's certainly some sticker shock but it keeps me healthy and is a lot cheaper than any other hobby I'd pick up if I were to replace it. :shrug:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I do it (the money portion at least) because I insist my wife and I both have a good general grasp of our overall financial situation. I keep track of my hobbies, she keeps track of hers.

The rest is so I can quantify just how mediocre I am. Looking at HZ's per-game stats makes me sad all day.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

my mind is blown that anyone is drawing any conclusions from any of this

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I play hockey sometimes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This is the preferred way to get into the gun hobby as well.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we played our championship game today against the loaded team run by the rink manager. to make sure they were extra loaded for the playoffs they let some kid who just got done with his AHL season skate with them. we're the top division so i guess "ringer" doesn't really apply but, come on, man. they were X-1 on the season, we were the 1.

we went down 2-0 pretty quickly to AHL kid, then our goalie held us in it while we got dominated. i had a breakaway and a god's gift one timer neither of which i buried. in the third, we got two quick goals that were both very pretty, and this caused loaded team to get very, very upset. they started melting down, which made things just about even skill-wise, and we held them through the third.

rink manager guy didn't know what to do, but the teams who were in the 3rd place game after us said gently caress it, so we had the ice, so he started making it up as he went along. first we did a 4v4 5 min overtime, then he just said 4v4 until someone scores. they took two dumb penalties right at the start of the second overtime period. so, we're on the power play. then something mildly miraculous happened.

i dunno how many thousands of hockey games i've played in my life (I do not keep a spreadsheet) but i don't think i've scored more than maybe 3 goals ever by batting the puck out of the air. i've never once scored an overtime winner, let alone an overtime winner to win a championship. but, for some reason, both of those things happened on the same play...our "defenseman who always shoots it too high and as hard as he possibly can" shot it high as hard as he possibly could, it went off the goalies shoulder, and came down in a gentle arc that gave me just enough time to dive at it and swat it out of the air, and it went in. '

its probably all downhill from here, i may announce my retirement this weekend

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teammate took a slapshot hard enough to break the steel in one of his skates tonight. Sure it was just weak steal getting hit in the wrong spot but to be fair the other team had some loving heavy shots.

Not good at aiming them though, I was at the top of a circle and dude let it rip from the blue line and it hit me just below the collarbone. :downs:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Congrats to bewbies on your championship! :toot:

Ok so here's a rough estimate on how much I spend on hockey annually, which is excluding the cost of gear, skate sharpening, and USA Hockey membership fees. It's also assuming I attend every single Rat Hockey and free skate session, which never happens:

• 3 lesson sessions: $330
  • 3 league sessions: $600
  • 52 Rat Hockey sessions: $520
  • 104 Free Skate sessions: $312

It ends up being $1762 annually, or $33.88 per week for around 7 hours of ice time per week, so $4.84 per hour of ice time. Not bad at all.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
for some reason I bat like a puck out of the air for a goal like once a year, it's weird

I reverse batted one a couple of years ago that was behind me, that will never happen again

badass about your OT winner tho, we start playoffs tomorrow. We started off the season 10-0-0 then went 1-6-1 down the stretch as other teams picked up ringers. Luckily we're playing the one team we beat, let's hope their pro from Germany doesn't show.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Goaltending four games in two days probably would have been a lot more fun if the team I was subbing for in two of them could field a loving roster, much less a competitive one. Or even rosters where 2-3 people a night hadn’t given up before the game even started. Or even really attempt to play defense of some sort, token effort even.

My normal team was better on the effort front, but the two earlier games each day had an effect. We didn’t win, either, but we were pretty competitive and scored more than one goal in two games.

I’m hurting all over in both good and bad ways. I officially faced 146 shots in those four games, really a lot more.

Oh hey drizzle, your goalie was ON last night. That game was actually good.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Goaltending four games in two days probably would have been a lot more fun if the team I was subbing for in two of them could field a loving roster, much less a competitive one. Or even rosters where 2-3 people a night hadn’t given up before the game even started. Or even really attempt to play defense of some sort, token effort even.

My normal team was better on the effort front, but the two earlier games each day had an effect. We didn’t win, either, but we were pretty competitive and scored more than one goal in two games.

I’m hurting all over in both good and bad ways. I officially faced 146 shots in those four games, really a lot more.

Oh hey drizzle, your goalie was ON last night. That game was actually good.

Yeah I heard my team is kicking rear end right now for some reason. I missed like the last three games because of vacation so I assume that is the reason why

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The split of D3 is the cause most of it from what I can tell. At least for my guys the games have been completely different.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
That's cool the only game I've actually made this season so far is the first one and we got blown the gently caress out but they got knocked up right after glad there's some parity I guess makes it more fun

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah it's not perfect (stick in a box has a couple problem players) but the overall competition is wayyy up. Good move by the league.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I guess most colleges are out now, because today's Rat Hockey was teeming with extremely good young skaters. Even though I'm usually one of the worst 5 guys on the ice when there aren't college players, I always enjoy skates like today because everyone is just way more energized and into the game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My league keeps stats and I feel accomplished to be above .800 in save percentage somehow.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
that's like a .930 in beer league

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I just got my beer league schedule and ummmmm the one game with a 6:20 AM start time better be a typo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AM hockey actually owns, the rest of the day just feels good.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
For some reason, bullshit society frowns on 8am postgame beers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why you do pregame coffee and egg McMuffins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you want to puke and poo poo yourself at the same time maybe.