Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Humerus posted:

Is this all ebooks? I was reading about family sharing and it seemed to say that some stuff was excluded.

If it's a purchase it should be shareable as far as I know. Loans such as from your public library or Prime Reading are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Iirc you can also just set up sharing ebooks instead of everything.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Looks like this:

Not sure what the extra shareable is, probably the manual of the Kindle, heh.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Oh that's great then. Thanks dudes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Kindle itself isn’t actually multi user, right? Like if my wife and I setup family sharing, then she would have to read on “her” Kindle and I would have to read on mine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yup. It's an ereader that you log in/register once. Libraries/family household stuff just means they have access to it on their accounts/devices as well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent Kindle Voyage case? Just bought one with the 20% Amazon Warehouse deal, and looking for a book style cover. From what I see, there's only a few left on Amazon for the Voyage, but they all seem to be roughly the same.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Silly Burrito posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent Kindle Voyage case? Just bought one with the 20% Amazon Warehouse deal, and looking for a book style cover. From what I see, there's only a few left on Amazon for the Voyage, but they all seem to be roughly the same.

I really like my Amazon origami case. It flips from the top but I like it more than the generic book style I had because that one was thicker on one side and this one makes it uniform; also I use the stand feature much more than I expected to.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Humerus posted:

I really like my Amazon origami case. It flips from the top but I like it more than the generic book style I had because that one was thicker on one side and this one makes it uniform; also I use the stand feature much more than I expected to.

Thanks. I ended up buying one of those with the 20% off, and it should get here tomorrow. Got the Voyage yesterday and it’s pretty nice. I am curious as to how the origami case feels versus the current book one on my paperwhite.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks. I ended up buying one of those with the 20% off, and it should get here tomorrow. Got the Voyage yesterday and it’s pretty nice. I am curious as to how the origami case feels versus the current book one on my paperwhite.

I've been using a Kindle Voyage + leather origami case since 2015 and they still look brand new. The Voyage is still imho the best Kindle device and I'm happy as a clam at Amazon's eInk device longevity. I should get plenty more out of this one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are there any known improvements to E Ink coming down the road? I mean in terms of page turn speed and display responsiveness etc.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Everyone keeps going on about the paperwhite, but the $130 dollar version "includes special offers". I have absolutely no interest in owning a device that shits ads at me.

According to Amazon's page at https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200671290, it is possible to remove ads, but "you will be charged a one-time payment to unsubscribe from this service, covering the difference between the device price with and without special offers." Of course they don't tell you how much that charge is going to be.

Does anyone with a Paperwhite know, or could you visit that page and find out, how much removing ads adds to the cost of the device?

Edit: Never mind, I didn't realize when you actually go to buy it you can choose "without special offers." The difference is $20. Absolutely worth it.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 28, 2019

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
You're not really supposed to do it but you can also crack the firmware to make it not show ads. People in this thread have also had luck just asking Amazon support to remove them

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I just straight up asked em. Told em the ads were incredibly annoying and asked if they could remove em, and they did.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I still want to do it but like my brain has shame for some reason and I've had the drat thing for multiple years now. Should I just make my fiance do it for me and if so what lines should he feed them

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

im on the net me boys posted:

I still want to do it but like my brain has shame for some reason and I've had the drat thing for multiple years now. Should I just make my fiance do it for me and if so what lines should he feed them

Just pay to turn them off, it's twenty loving dollars

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just pay to turn them off, it's twenty loving dollars

hmmm. no

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just said "Man, I use my kindle like crazy and going from the old one to this new one was great, but the ads are driving me nuts. Can you get rid of them for me please?"

I went from a non ad paperwhite to an ad having oasis. They went "Ok, we can remove the ads for free as a customer appreciation etc blah blah" and then told me to reboot the kindle.

You don't have to make up a giant story with tons of details, just "Hey, these ads are starting to really bug me, can you remove them please?" and if they say it's :20bux: just be like "OH snap I can't swing that right now, is there anything you can do in the mean time or a discount or something?" and they'll probably just take em off.

You aren't socially engineering your way into a bank vault for a heist, you are trying to save giving 20 bucks to one of the worlds richest men.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Yeah, I picked up a Touch from a second hand store cheap and realized it had ads, a quick text chat with support and I basically said I thought it wouldn't since it was used and they just turned it off. It didn't take a good reason just that I was asking. It probably didn't matter I already had a paperwhite I sprung to disable ads on and a keyboard I did the same years before.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You're a captive audience, the $20 is nothing compared to a lifetime of ebook sales.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Amazon is very hurting for money and $20 will probably bankrupt them.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm on my second Kindle and have always bought the ad ones (Kindle Touch and then Paperwhite 2) but one day the ads on my Paperwhite disappeared and then when I went to clean up my Touch to give to my mother-in-law the ads were gone there too. Jeff Bezos is trying to gently caress.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I bought a 3rd gen paperwhite, which is apparently a 7th generation Kindle, for $58 on eBay last summer (before the new paperwhite came out), and I certainly didn't try my hardest to get the best deal possible. It was 3g and no ads and works great, came with a charger too. There's no reason to buy new when so many used kindles are being resold. It looks like the newest 2018 paperwhites are about $90 used, but plenty of prior-gen in the $50-$60 range. Unless you are going to read in the shower, it's the same thing. Don't read in the shower, that's weird.

Or if you have to buy new, they go on sale constantly. Whenever their prime sale comes around this summer would be a good time for Amazon-branded gear, most likely, or just set up an alert. It has gone to $120 twice this year, and went to $110 in January, without the ads. https://camelcamelcamel.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-Now-Waterproof-Storage/product/B075MWNNJG

I love my last gen model. It was my first e-reader and I wasn't sure I would use it, but got it for a long vacation and love it. I only wish the screen were larger because there are some PDFs I want to read in the original layout, but I guess that's what an iPad is for.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Actually, new Paperwhite has the flush screen, right? I have one the gen before that, so no real need to upgrade, but that's easily the selling point for me and I'm strongly considering trying to upgrade for like $20 or 30 or whatever it'll be after selling my current one and getting a new one refurb or used in a little while.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hey, Voyage owners, what is your battery life? I’m using my refurbished Kindle, and last night as soon as I unplugged it, it went from 99 to 95 in about 20 minutes. Then, I closed the cover and went to bed. I woke up six hours later and it was at 35% battery life. Either it was bouncing searching for WiFi and/or a 3G signal at sea or my batteries are defective. I also noticed that it said 25% another time, but when I picked it up, it showed the out of battery icon. When I plugged it in, it rebooted and showed 23% full.

Putting it in airplane mode to see if that helps.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Silly Burrito posted:

Hey, Voyage owners, what is your battery life? I’m using my refurbished Kindle, and last night as soon as I unplugged it, it went from 99 to 95 in about 20 minutes. Then, I closed the cover and went to bed. I woke up six hours later and it was at 35% battery life. Either it was bouncing searching for WiFi and/or a 3G signal at sea or my batteries are defective. I also noticed that it said 25% another time, but when I picked it up, it showed the out of battery icon. When I plugged it in, it rebooted and showed 23% full.

Putting it in airplane mode to see if that helps.

That battery is without a doubt busted. You should easily be able to get a couple weeks on a full charge on almost any Kindle model.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They've released software updates that turbofucked batteries. It happened to mine, and you can google and see all the other people losing their poo poo about it. I'm guessing they did it again.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

im on the net me boys posted:

That battery is without a doubt busted. You should easily be able to get a couple weeks on a full charge on almost any Kindle model.

That’s what I was thinking too. My Paperwhite lasts way longer than that but just wanted to confirm.

Anne Whateley posted:

They've released software updates that turbofucked batteries. It happened to mine, and you can google and see all the other people losing their poo poo about it. I'm guessing they did it again.

I know mine was at 5.6 or something and then it updated itself to 5.11.*** that night I received it so I have no real software comparison on it.

Either way, sounds like I have an Amazon chat in my future. Thanks!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The person I talked to was like "lol idk! Guess you should just buy a new one!" so good luck with your chat

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh boy... I have a problem the manifested as of today...

The Forma has a nifty Micro USB cable with reversible connectors. :eyepop:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Tewdrig posted:

Or if you have to buy new, they go on sale constantly. Whenever their prime sale comes around this summer would be a good time for Amazon-branded gear, most likely, or just set up an alert. It has gone to $120 twice this year, and went to $110 in January, without the ads. https://camelcamelcamel.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-Now-Waterproof-Storage/product/B075MWNNJG

Apparently I just got really lucky; happened to check this thread again today, and the Paperwhite is $40 off right now. Ad-free version ordered for $110, I'm happy with that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

OK, had the Forma for a work week. Unfortunately as much as I like it, it’s going back. That bright strip on the button side is really distracting and there’s no fixing it. If I didn’t do much night reading I might not care. But it’s really inexcusable to have a screen with that type of problem at the price they are asking for. In a sense, I like the Aura One’s screen more even of that screen isn’t totally perfect either. Compared to the Oasis 2, there’s no question. The screen is uniform.

Return process with Kobo was fine if a little long considering I had to go through their hoops of turning off the device and leave it off for several minutes and then do a factory reset which I already knew wasn’t going to solve it. But at least I’m not paying return shipping back to Canada.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lost my forma on an airplane today. Anything I need to do security wise? I unlinked my credit card from my kobo account but from what I can tell there's no remote management.

My major complaint on the forma is though it's larger than a kindle it's not really large enough for research papers. Also the brightness control is PWM which is kind of janky.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
"Barnes & Noble is releasing a new Nook with a 7.8-inch screen and waterproof design." In stores May 27, online May 29

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/23/barnes-and-noble-nook-ereader-glowlight-plus/

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Invisble Manuel posted:

"Barnes & Noble is releasing a new Nook with a 7.8-inch screen and waterproof design." In stores May 27, online May 29

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/23/barnes-and-noble-nook-ereader-glowlight-plus/

It's reassuring to see that they're going to continue supporting the Nook. For years I've thought they were going to drop it any time now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

This gives me slightly more hope Amazon will release a 7.8-8" Kindle. :pray:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

If you or a loved one read Traditional Chinese then boy howdy do I have good news for you! https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/24/amazon-kindle-traditional-chinese/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it worth it to get the Kindle Oasis over the Kindle Paperwhite? I already have the 3rd gen Kindle Keyboard.

How is it w/ audiobooks (I'd be getting the 32GB version) and how is it with reading comics/manga? too small? Slow?

Primarily, it'd just be books.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 26, 2019

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
The Paperwhite is fine for listening to audiobooks, but for comics and manga you run into the problems of the a) they take up a lot of storage space b) if they're in color, the very limited color palette can sometimes make it very difficult to actually discern whats happening in the panels, and c) sometimes the screen is just kinda too small. Some comics have a panel by panel reading mode which definitely helps to address that, but not everything does.

If you're mostly doing manga as opposed to western comics, it does work okay for that in my experience just because so much of it is just black and white line work and so little of it is full color. But western comics are rarely that, which just makes it kinda rough.

For comparison, a screenshot from the same page of Lumberjanes from both my Paperwhite (imagine it smushed down to the 6 inch screen) vs an 8 inch tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oasis 2 is mostly fine for manga. Better with recently published stuff as super old stuff they produced low quality scans and can look rather bad. If the manga you’re reading has a habit of putting tiny translation or definition notes in between panels (For example Battle Angel Alita), then it’s a suboptimal experience since you’ll have to pinch zoom it.