Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Did my dwarf just bring back a single tooth for burial?

Do I have ammo in my quiver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Being useless: The secret to survival.

Also is any injury from a werecreature a guaranteed infection? Because that seems like it could go insane very quickly. Alternately, do werecreatures attack each other? And all transform at the same time? If they don't and do, respectively, get the entire fort infected and have a swarm of weremonsters a couple of days every month.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Not every wound does, no. Not sure how it works exactly.

You can do gimmick were-x runs but the problem is they trash the place every time they turn, so vampires are better usually.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Bites. Curse of Lycanthropy only transmits by a bite that causes an injury. Scratches, punches, pummeling skulls are all non-transmitting.

And no, you cant get it by biting one so no worries about going teeth&nail on one as long as IT doesnt get a bite through to YOU.

They all change at the same time and are hostile to eachother. So walling all suspects in one room means next full moon they tear eachother to pieces starting from non-infected.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
This week's update will be a few days late.

manofsloth
Sep 2, 2011
College Slice
I just found this thread yesterday, and am happy to see it's still going. Thanks overseers!
Dwarf me as whatever!

I'm still laughing at:

Dallbun posted:

Look, when you self-publish, you have to be really aggressive about getting the word out there.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
1 Sandstone

I thought we would be safe from HardHead's werepanther infection last month with her roaming the depths, but somehow she showed up right on top of our miners in her cursed form.

I have a more permanent solution in mind for her, but it will not be finished in time for her next transformation. Regardless, we need to secure the cavern from other attacks. Crimea has been setting traps at the outskirts of our territory.

My topside project for this month is to increase our economic output by installing more furnaces. My notes show that there's a magma channel running outside, originally designed for a trash chute. We'll expose the channel inside and dig out a storage area.

DirtSo8 is still recovering from her beating. It will be some time before she's healed.

While I was visiting her, I noticed my statue has been installed in the hospital. It's just a small thing I commissioned a few months ago when I first got put on the overseer salary.

2 Sandstone

We're still not finished cleaning up outside. I asked Owlkisser what the hold up was. She said she didn't see any value in cleaning up a battlefield when it would just get covered in teeth again in a week.

Konomex jumped in to say he did not appreciate working in daylight, but that wine helped get him through the day. Amen to that.

3 Sandstone

Funktopus is still locked in her crypt. She taps out messages to the miners through the walls. She says she's found some tools in there with her, and has been spending her time carving out a temple to Vesh.

We've moved adamantine processing down into the mine. I'm just going to lock the craftsdwarves in until they can pull all those wonderful threads out of the rock. They should understand, but I don't know that Tiger Crazy is taking it well.

Biosterous is more of a willing spirit.

4 Sandstone

The furnace extension is on schedule. There is an exposed cave we have to wall off so we don't expose the work area to the outside world.

I've ordered HardHead to "patrol the depths" before she changes into a werepanther again -- part of the bullshit militia post I put her into. Construction of her permanent home is lagging, unfortunately. This time, she's assigned to the furthest reaches of the adamantine mine -- behind the magama lock.

DirtSo8 is making public appearances again. I think she's starting to cheer up from her melancholy.

5 Sandstone

The furnace expansion is going well enough that I've made plans to expand our farms at the same time. I believe tFUCKINGmesis is constructing the new kitchen space.

HardHead's patrol will send her right past the crypt, where funktopus taps her messages. I wonder if they'll have anything to talk about.

7 Sandstone

More migrants have arrived today. We only realized what was going on when our scouts saw them descending from the peak. They must have climbed the far side of the volcano.

10 Sandstone

Progress on the new furnaces is slow, but steady.

Funktopus tells us she's installed Seapage, the artifact hatch cover, over the demon pits. I told her to leave BlackRobe's improvised seal underneath for the time being.

I did not get a response -- only the sound of thrashing against the stone. Her curse is growing active again.

Let's hope HardHead stays out of trouble this time.

11 Sandstone

I caught Evil Fluffy praying in DirtSo8's empty cell today. It's like a temple, she said. Yes, DirtSo8 languished here, and yes she spent much of that time praying to the god of nightmares. But it's a jail cell! We need it for prisoners. You really should be using the proper worship space upstairs.

12 Sandstone

Funktopus and HardHead have returned to their normal selves without incident. HardHead is optimistic that she can rejoin society, just as long as she has a few days off each month to stand in the werepanther corner. Funktopus is happy just to put clothes on like a civilized dwarf.

The craftsdwarves in the adamantine mines have been particularly anxious about being mauled by HardHead. To celebrate their survival, ziz wants to construct an artifact. We'll see that she gets whatever materials she deems necessary.

Ziz has decided to try her hand at sewing for this project.

17 Sandstone

I've delegated the farm expansion to DeceitfulPenguin. There's no excavation to be done, as we're building in an existing space, but it's not something I can babysit any further.

18 Sandstone

The children have been curious about ziz's work. They play on the sewing tables while she is out gathering materials for her work. I was watching Verant in there today, and took a look at ziz's progress.

Living in a volcano, I'm not sure I would have gone with wool. Oh well, more power to her.

19 Sandstone

We're connecting the new furnaces to the main work floor today. Since we're already digging in the area, the miners are also expanding the refuse stockpile upstairs. It's been filling up with elf teeth and groundhog heads faster than we can sort through.

There's real treasure in this stuff, if we just take the time to look. Take Kennel's wonderful brain cooking, for example.

20 Sandstone

The storage area is still being dug out, but we're ready to expose the magma channel today and get some architects on the site to design the furnaces.

DirtSo8 has taken up an interest in the mechanics of rainfall. She tells me it helps keep her mind off bad memories.

I don't think that Frionnel has really settled in amongst us dwarves like she asked for. She prays to her god in the holding pits and is hesitant to socialize in the tavern.

23 Sandstone

Ziz has finally sat down to work on her artifact. It just screams "Valleysilences", what with the use of groundhog bone.

25 Sandstone

The new furnaces go online today. The first ones will be glass smelters, to take advantage of the sand deposits in our caverns. There is plenty of room for more forges as well. The site manager, neogeo0823, took time to oversee construction personally.

26 Sandstone

Funktopus has been feeling restless, so I suggested she could honor Vesh by processing the adamantine ore she's locked in with. We'll have to figure out a way to get the pulled threads from her later.

27 Sandstone

Ziz has finished her artifact, a woolen shirt. She says it's called Stillstars.

I'm somewhat disappointed that there's no imagery on it, but I have to agree the work is impeccable.

---

If it wasn't clear already, last week's update got pushed back enough that it ended up being this week's update. Thanks for being patient with me.

There's still multiple unnamed dwarves running around the fort if anyone would like to be dwarfed or redwarfed. Also, please let me know if you want to hop in the overseer queue.

:ssh: It's currently empty.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So Math posted:

I love how every dwarf artifact has to have spikes. Even a sweater.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I can't over see but agree this thread needs to keep alive.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I want to see what my dwarf is up to! Being a kid, hopefully.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Dwarf me please

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So Math posted:

25 Sandstone

The new furnaces go online today. The first ones will be glass smelters, to take advantage of the sand deposits in our caverns. There is plenty of room for more forges as well. The site manager, neogeo0823, took time to oversee construction personally.

I didn't realize slash forgot I was also manager for the fort! As in battle, you must impose your will upon all things around you. Be it an enemy you cleave in twain, a plump helmet you bite in half, or a glass furnace that will construct the sharpest serrated discs to part your enemies from their limbs.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
3 Timber

I met Gay Hitler today. We were both installing floodgates on the nortern slope.

I take it the young man has only recently moved to Valleysilences, as he was still a bit shaken from the elf attack. He was pleasant enough, but confessed that he only really follows the law when the militia is watching.

4 Timber

We're still remodelling the refuse storage. There's not much engraving to be done here until the excavation is finished. I saw Black Robe with a pick trying to hurry things along. That's the spirit.

Meanwhile, redneck nazgul and StrixNebulosa have started this month's project. We're adding dedicated workshop space just behind the refuse processing.

6 Timber

HardHead's room down in the adamantine minde is finished. It's built directly on top of the magma sea, with a retracting bridge over the hole in the floor. I ordered her to wait in the corner while someone comes down to retract the drawbridge.

I've told HardHead we're going to lock her in, for her own safety. She doesn't seem to mind.

Megane is putting some finishing touches on warehouse I commissioned last month. Since the space is already excavated, I think it should be simple to get some more smelters installed on our magma channel.

8 Timber

There hasn't been much to report this past week. Work is on schedule, and no invaders have challened our holdings. The citizens have gotten bolder about venturing into the caverns. SirPhoebos reports that there's great fishing on the western cavern branch.

Judging from the moon in the sky, the werepanthers will transform soon. I've asked parents to keep their children in their own rooms. We can't have anything happen to little PetraCore. She's too young and innocent to see such monstrocity.

---

As I was writing just now, Vinny Possum showed up in my office. The milita captains drew straws to see who would seal HardHead in her room. It seems that Vinny lost, and he's has been procrastinating for the past two days.

By the time he finally went down, she had already transformed. We'll try again when she's back to dwarf form.

10 Timber

HardHead has flown the coop. All that's in her cell is a pile of clothes in tatters.

She's not a panther, at least, but she refuses to go back to her room until she's got a fresh set of clothes from the barracks. This is not going to go well with Mayor Zebrin.

He's been complaining lately that good clothing is scarce, and now we're taking a full set of clothes off the rack and locking it in a hole in the ground.

Still, no one wants to argue with the werepanther. Instead, Zebrin retaliated by placing a bullshit order for millstones.

12 Timber

We're not expecting traders this month, so our broker GruntMountain has been getting back into spirituality. I wish I had the time to get back into spirituality, or at least get back into some spirits. I ought to find somebody else who can run this fort.

13 Timber

Progress on the northern magma trap is stagnating, since we're backlogged on floodgates. I saw Computer Viking hauling up the latest this afternoon.

14 Timber

I've assigned some excavation in the farms, but it's low priority. Chitoryu12 and Neddy Seagoon don't seem too overwhelmed with farming at the moment, so we can afford to prioritize elsewhere.

Tobul's temple was nearly empty today. I only saw geri_khan and idhrendur inside.

Most everyone else was listening to Erush, the elderly bard in the tavern next door.

16 Timber

Redneck nazgul is hard at work, excavating the new shop space.

Since we're at peace, I've ordered all marksdwarves to the interior battlements to assess their readyness. Jamsque is no longer bothering with pretense, and explicitly plans to enter battle beating foes with a crossbow.

More troubling, half the squad apparently don't know the layout of the fortress, and ended up in a back room. Doesn't this connect up to the battlements, asked Guarstine. No, no it does not.

HardDiskD joined Gaurstine in the empty room. Apparently Guarstine brought bolts for both of them, as HardDiskD didn't bring a quiver.

Let the record show that Zyla knows how to get to the battlements.

At this point, I asked redneck nazgul to tear down the wall and reunite our stranded soldiers.

I called off the drill, and everyone left their weapons on the floor. Idiots!

We're throwing up a wall here to prevent this kind of thing happenning in the future. Zeerust is leading some quick expansion on the southern battlements, just in case.

19 Timber

The first row of shops is complete, so the miners are switching to the stockpile area. All the obsidian mining should help get Drakenel back on quota for the magma gates.

Somehow HardHead got word of the failed combat drill, and she was mouthing off about it before while led back to her chamber. Who's laughing now?

25 Timber

Megane has got the second round of furnaces online. Since we're starved for flux, these new smelters will allow us to melt down every scrap of steel we come across in trade.

The new workshops are also ready to go. In addition to the tailor's shops, u brexit ukip it is building a mechanics area. That should help get our floodgates opperational once they're all installed.

So Math fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 9, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So Math posted:

4 Timber

We're still remodelling the refuse storage. There's not much engraving to be done here until the excavation is finished. I saw Black Robe with a pick trying to hurry things along. That's the spirit.

You young whippersnappers don't know how to work hard, that's your trouble. No, I'm not looking for work to distract myself from my bitterness about my method of saving the entire fortress not being pretty enough, I'm absolutely over that. Completely. I'm just trying to set a good example to the ungrateful younger generation.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Dwarf me please! Curious how my little guy will die.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Please dwarf me for Horror Volcano :iit:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
1 Moonstone

I've been thinking about what Mayor Zebrin said last month about running out of clothes. With all our amassed wealth, with our masterful statues dominating the valley, why is it that we are running around with our socks full of holes? I've been speaking to tildes, a weaver who immigrated here looking for work. He tells me that the fort is actually sitting on plenty of resources, from the abundance of spider silk in our caverns to the many reams of cloth sitting in our trade depot. But this work hasn't been valued nearly as much as the constant expansion downwards, so there's no work for the weavers. Instead, he spends his time getting drunk in the tavern.

I went back to my office, when I saw someone carrying Gnoman's corpse to be interred, finally. With the refuse stockpile refurbished, we're finally clearing out our backlog. The dwarf's name is Volmarias. She mentioned that this week is her 100th birthday, good on her.

2 Moonstone

GoldenPrice asked me if we could finally start construction of the new temple spaces. I had these zoned month ago, but have been distracted by other projects, such as housing our cursed citizens. I signed off on the paperwork, though I think we're running out of gods to worship.

GoldenPrice's son turned one today, and he took his first steps at the construction site. GoldenPrice and DeceitfulPenguin must be so proud.

5 Moonstone

Today is Volmarias' birthday, so I imagine she's celebrating in the tavern. I saw Frionnel wandering the caverns, hoping to slay some manner of beast.

A ghost has been seen wandering the man workshops. It bears the image of Dr Tough, though it hasn't tried to interact with anyone. According to my records, Dr Tough was never memorialized properly. I'll have to check if we have a corpse in our locker.

7 Moonstone

I've been trying my hand at clothesmaking. It's not unlike suturing, and my patients don't even squirm! I think at this point, I've stitched more leggings than I have legs.

In other news, the werepanther containment is working as intended.

8 Moonstone

Mayor Zebrin has been indulging his crafty side this month. He came into my office to display his latest masterpiece in gem setting. We spend so much effort improving mundane shirts and furniture with gems, he says, why not set gems into even larger gems?

It's beautiful.

11 Moonstone

Dr Tough was spotted again in the workshops. I've confirmed that we don't have a body to bury, so I've commissioned a memorial slab instead.

On a lighter note, I've been talking to turol so much about my new love of sewing, she decided to try it herself, just once. I think she likes it.

I thought Zebrin would want to get in on the sewing action, too. He did a nice job sewing chrysoprases onto his own shirt, which I suppose solves the problem of Zebrin not having a nice shirt. However, I was hoping he would go on to make nice shirts for the other citizens as well. Sigh.

15 Moonstone

Tildes is out gathering more spider silk today, so I went down to check on the temple construction. Rincewinds is smoothing the floor of the southern temple.

The northern one is nearly finished, just waiting for decorations. I have decided that this space will be dedicated to Nitho, although we only have one or two active Nitho worshippers amongst us.

The main feature is a statue of Namong, commemorating the founding of Valleysilences. Geri_khan wanted to record some of our achievements in craft, such as counterfeitsaint's masterful crafts.

Owing to the Dr Tough incident, I've asked the miners to dig out some storage down here, closer to the funeral chambers. We should at least be separating our citizens bodies from the vermin our cats drag in!

17 Moonstone

Blade leader is installing some instruments in Nitho's temple. I thought it would be nice to hang an udgni in one corner, and a gugir opposite it. You know, the classic 'dueling triangles' setup.

20 Moonstone

Another birthday! Gbuchold and mcclay's son turned one today, and he's already wearing a very handsome moustache. What a sweetie.

21 Moonstone

Dr Tough has been laid to rest.

I ran into Evil Fluffy while I was visiting the memorial hall, carrying FreakyM's corpse up to the finished mausoleum. I said that's rather undignified, FreakyM already has a dedicated tomb.

24 Moonstone

We are under attack.

A giantess has scaled the volcano, bearing nothing but a dwarven axe. Upon arrival, she bellowed out her name, Lissig Arzeslek Murakaned. Our scholars have identified the axe as Tombdrains, which was stolen from our forebears at Roofboot. Surely she has come to pillage our works.

I've activated the entire military. Neddy Seagoon was the first to station himself inside the main gate.

Nearly everyone made it inside when the alarm went out, but I can see someone in the northern valley, struggling in the sunlight. Oh Vesh, it's mojangles.

Fortunately for mojangles, the Lissig descended on the southern slope.

25 Moonstone

Lissig has not attmpted to enter the fortress. Instead, she has been toppling the statues along our main road. The squads have specific orders to stay inside the gate until the giantess tries to enter.

Sadly, LostCosmonaut was tempted by the thought of claiming Tombdrains, and charged the giantess. It wasn't pretty.

26 Moonstone

Lissig has completely demolished the main road. LostCosmonaut's body has been laying outside for a full day.

Archers, Ho have finally arrived at their station overlooking the valley. HardDiskD alone has been firing on the giantess.

The giantess refuses to move from her spot. It makes for a good target.

1 Opal

We've been locked inside for the better part of a week while HardDiskD takes pot shots at Lissig. It would be nice if the other archers would join in, too. I mentioned offhand to crimea that she's in the perfect position to hit with the magma trap, if the floodgates were operational. So the ignoramus grabbed some mechanisms and ran outside!

This finally drew Lissig out of her trance. Vinny Possum broke formation to distract Lissig while crimea fled to the south.

Thanks to HardDiskD, the giantess was softened up. Vinny fared much better than LostCosmonaut.

Just as Vinny was about to land the killing blow, DivineCoffeeBinge ran forward and impaled the Lissig's head with her spear.

Wow, rude.

I ordered the squadrons to stand down, but DivineCoffeeBinge can stay outside in the miserable sun a while longer and think about what she's done.

---

Still looking for the next overseer to take over in June, by the way.

So Math fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 27, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So Math posted:

I went back to my office, when I saw someone carrying Gnoman's corpse to be interred, finally. With the refuse stockpile refurbished, we're finally clearing out our backlog. The dwarf's name is Volmarias. She mentioned that this week is her 101st birthday, good on her.

I'm as dead on the inside as the land on the outside :iit:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Way to steal my kill :argh:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Giantess destroyed the memorial road (which you should have been adding slabs to)? We're going to have a ghost problem.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Way to be selfish, Zebrin. Make some shirts for other people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDiskD posted:

Way to steal my kill :argh:

At least you actually got to go out and fight, I got stuck on gate duty :argh:.

I demand GLORY! :black101:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I'm a total noob at this game and just able to keep a fort running for more than a year, but if no one else is stepping up, I'll hop in way over my head with ValleySilences, as long as it is understood that my stunning ignorance, incompetence, and inexperience may likely spell the end of the fort.

If there are no objections...

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Sounds like you are perfectly qualified to me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
The loving musical triangles got me. It's just so stupid. How do you shake a triangle to make a sound? Is it hollow and full of something that rattles? How the gently caress do you pluck a glass triangle?

Also any update on what dumb purposeless poo poo my dwarf is up to in his goal to be the most useless member of the fortress?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PurpleXVI posted:

The loving musical triangles got me. It's just so stupid. How do you shake a triangle to make a sound? Is it hollow and full of something that rattles? How the gently caress do you pluck a glass triangle?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
This image didn't make the original cut, but since you asked,

17 Moonstone - Addendum

I told Zebrin if we want to attract more migrants, we need to present Valleysilences as a land of milk and honey. Rather than depict the very real and terrifying zombies, magma crabs, demons, and werepanthers, we should seed the land with images of an easy life in the volcano. Now tell me, who amongst us can serve as the face of leisure? Who will we slander throughout the kingdom as a slovenly oaf?

Zebrin snapped his fingers and ran off to the workbench without another word.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh that's wonderful.

Plucking implies strings, though. :v:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Maybe you pick the edge so the entire thing vibrates a bit? Depending on the shape of the edge, how the slab is mounted/suspended, and what you use, I guess you could get some sort of sound out of it?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Only up to page 9 but I'll take a dwarfing if bodies are still needed!

the yeti, a few months ago posted:

Dorf me if we’re still playing, no preferences

Whoops :V Is there a signup spreadsheet or are we still doing it in thread?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

the yeti posted:

Only up to page 9 but I'll take a dwarfing if bodies are still needed!

Whoops :V Is there a signup spreadsheet or are we still doing it in thread?

Still in thread it seems

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
2 Opal

I feel myself being drawn towards sewing more and more. Something inside of me... I can't place it. This place changes you.

Regardless, I can't leave the fort without a suturer. As it happened, I ran into the yeti at lunch today.

She has no problem taking over my suturing duties -- it's not as though we've been seeing that many patients. Most of the injured die of their wounds before any chance at rescue.

She did stop short of taking over fort management from me, though.

I don't have a proper project for this month. Everyone is too busy righting the memorials that were disturbed last week. They'll be more secure inside, I think.

5 Opal

There are three speardwarves from the Mountainhomes monopolizing the library. Sure, it's there to be read. But they've clearly been breaking the rule about eating in the library, and there's books left all over the floor. I will be filing a complaint.

6 Opal

It's been a calm week, and everyone has had a chance to relax. Captain Aardvark had to put down a skunk zombie, but it only took one punch.

8 Opal

Evil Fluffy requested that we add some fortifications to the cavern. It is an entrance to the fortress, after all, and anything smart enough to get through the cage traps can just waltz into our main temple. Permission granted.

GruntMountain was found sleeping in Vesh's temple, claiming it is a novel way to worship the god of nightmares. I don't buy it.

9 Opal

Some labor has been freed up from the memorial restoration, so I've planned an extension to the deep kitchens. The new site is just across from a clothes shop, so I can keep an eye on the miners while I sew.

11 Opal

There was a horrible crash upstairs in the caverns today. Radio Free Kobold was supposed to be putting up a wall over the south lake. I hope that no one's hurt.

---

Radio Free Kobold hasn't come in for dinner, and the construction site is a mess. I sent GoldenPrice down to see if radio free kobold needs to be fished out of the lake.

---

Thank Geshud, radio free kobold came in just before bed, still coughing up water.

GoldenPrice came along after, also sopping wet.

14 Opal

Drakenel is nearly finished installing the memorials in their new home, safely inside the fort. Hopefully they will be safe from invaders inside our gates.

Megane and geri_khan have been finishing some empty rooms left by all the renovations over the past few months. They're not much to look at just yet, but I think they could be made into some lovely bedrooms.

I don't think I can write more now. I have to get downstairs. I have to sew!!

Get out of my shop, StrangeAeon. Do something useful with yourself, like pull adamantine threads. Go! Shoo!

15 Opal

Strange. It's as though my body moves by itself, and I just watch what it does. I've been told that HardHead has been scrawling pictures of us on her walls. I wonder if she's totally in control of herself.

Red cloth. Did we import this? Mine now.

19 Opal

Gbuchold is talking to me. Geri_khan is doing a job. Are the bedrooms for a duke?

OUT OF MY FACE, I'M WORKING.

21 Opal

YESS. Let's put this silver to use.

22 Opal

Ravens are attacking. Just ravens? Have Fat Samurai deal with it. He's good with them.

They're swarming Zyla? She is also good with them.

The ravens what? They're swarming?

Oh. Rest in peace, Zyla.

Back to work.

24 Opal

Everything is falling exactly into place now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hm, yes, let's use someone's bones as part of a construct in a place where dead things tend to spontaneously re-animate. :v: This is a sane decision, dwarves.

manofsloth
Sep 2, 2011
College Slice
I think the terrifying biome has made them completely inured to and unimpressed by death.

The giantess seemed kind of disturbed by killing a dwarf ("Hey, I just came to knock over some statues!"):

Not so much vice versa:

If the bone-encrusted shirt comes back to life they'll just put it down with a world-weary sigh. "Mondays, amirite?"

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
2 Obsidian

I grabbed some bismuth for my sewing. Who knows what I'll do with it, these hands just move on their own. The children are helping me write my diary because I'm a weird lady who bedazzles a femur and calls it sewing.

Seriously, she can't even finish her own sentences any more. The other grown ups keep asking her what to do about stuff. I think they have to. This bites.

Obsidian 3rd

Ha ha, now I am in control of the diary. This So Math has no understanding of proper combat readiness. Under her leadership, we have located and extracted the mythical adamatine. And what do we do with it? Half of the hoard is processed, but waits to be shaped into proper weapons. The other half is locked away under supervision of a werepanther.

She mumbles occasionally, but does not check to see what I am writing. She barely even noticed when StrixNebulosa and Zeerust came in to ask her what this month's trite "construction" would be. So Math muttered something about zircons, which they took to mean "build more jeweler's shops."

I took the oppertunity to send our military out for some combat practice against the local wild un-life.

Neddy Seagoon struck down a zombie head and moved to engage with a skunk.

However, Fat Samurai got there first. This demonstrates the principal "What is of the greatest importance in war is extraordinary speed: one cannot afford to neglect opportunity."

6 Obsidian

OK, that was hilarious, but the grown-ups say we're not letting Lpzie write Math's diary any more while she's sewing her artifact. Black Balloon is here with some news from outside. Math isn't here right now, so I'll just write it down for her to read later.

Stuff for So Math to take care of:
  • there's someone wandering around the top of the volcano.
  • she's some kind of engineer
  • she wants a job
  • from up top, you can see like ten other people coming the same way
  • they'll all be here pretty much tomorrow

---

OK, Math's back. Math says whoever they are, they can come in. As long as they aren't elves. Or performers.

Math also wants to know if I know The Bible. I mean, he's a bit older than me. Mostly he works in the old silver mines. No, I don't know if he's ever run a fortress before. Probably not?

8 Obsidian

There's like a dozen different people trying to get into the fort today, and So Math sent me topside with her journal to deal with it.

Vucar Dodokmuthkat. Not an elf, not a performer. Access granted!

Vucar says The Crowds of Veneration are following him. Who are they? Elf poets? Aw, heck.

Next: Rigoth Onulvumom, a bard. I told him to get bent, and tell the elves to get bent on his way out.

11 Obsidian

I can't believe it's finished!

That construction took way more out of me than I was expecting, but I'm so happy that it fits. I'm calling it Veilfur the Rough Lashes.

It's not dedicated to any of my ancestors, just me. While I was, let's say, out of sorts, the kids helped me interview some potential overseers to take over for me. It looks like there's some pages missing, though. That, or the interviews never got written down in the first place. All I have here is some notes on The Bible. Looking at it, I don't know that he's overseer material.

Screw it.

Against my very clear instructions, IPA Regulations let some damned elf poets inside the fortress. I told them all to piss off.

Alright, I'm going to go tell The Bible the good news.

15 Obsidian

DeathSandwich has been diligently hooking up the floodgates for my new magma trap. Are all of the floodgates are installed now? While you're up there, I said, I may as well fill the magma reservoir.

I'll be careful with those levers. Though, at least half of them are just labeled "magma floodgate."

Oh. Wrong lever.

Right, so the reservoir is empty, and the magma is coming from further up the volcano. Oh, then it must be the older magma trap, the one that has to flow down the entire volcano to kill invaders. Keep working, DeathSandwich, I'll go have a look.

Am I wrong, or did this trap melt through its own floodgates? Yeah, it did. Well, gently caress.

27 Obsidian

OK, we've finally got the miners topside to deal with the magma. For now, Admiral Joeslop is digging a channel to divert the flow away from the fortress, which could become a pretty cool moat in the future. We ultimately decided not to route the magma down into funktopus's chamber, but that can be revisited later. Once we buy ourselves some more time, the miners can engineer a controlled cave in to cut off the flow of magma at the top of the volcano.

Oh, Joeslop! Back so soon?

Actually, I can imagine that digging a channel next to magma gets you thirsty. No, no, it's fine. Did you happen to run into clockwork chaos? She was supposed to be digging, too, but it looked like the ravens got to her.

I'm sure that Zeerust can finish up. Alone.

But you know what? This isn't my problem any more. Good luck, The Bible!

So Math fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 9, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That's one hell of a note to end on.

"It's your problem now, suckers!"

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Oh my...

I have the save. I will start tonight and try to post an update tonight or tomorrow. Wish me luck, I wasn't exaggerating about my skill and experience with this game :ohdear:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

As long as we get proper documentation of what you're doing, it's fine - after all, documentaries about things going entirely to plan can be boring. :science:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sorry for the delay. I'm just getting a feel for the fort and tweaking settings to hopefully get better performance out of this multiyear save file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Flood everything. To, uh, clean it. Yes.