Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Puppy Time posted:

What the hell is the joke with "Bomfitol"?

Bomf is the strip's term for demon characters making fireballs/explosions. http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2019-05-01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anora posted:

Did that ever show up in newspapers? I cannot fathom how that comic could have been next to Garfield or Marmaduke. Unless I'm remembering the wrong comic.

They were brand new strips, just slightly toned down. Like people would still date robots but there wouldn't be references to their vibration function, or Red Robot would still say he wants to crush humans, but he wouldn't show up covered in blood.

He also kept his unique website strips going 5 days a week like he had before so he'd more than doubled his output (5 color strips on the site, six b&w daily strips and a double sized color strip for Sundays) only to realize after a year or two he was making less money.

I think the newspaper strips are on his website, if you like his normal stuff you'd probably like them just as much. It definitely was in newspapers, I know one of the Seattle dailies carried it back when Seattle had two daily papers.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 27, 2019

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Vandar posted:

Kurtz seems like he's still on fairly good terms with the Penny Arcade guys. He's still selling Pinny Arcade stuff on his site, and he gave a good reason for wanting to leave and do his own thing.

http://pvponline.com/news/why-i-split-the-party

Buuut, as far as Wheaton goes, Wil said himself that Kurtz was repeatedly acting like an rear end in a top hat to him and 'people he loves', and Kurtz and Kris Straub also had a huge falling out, so I can see that causing strife with Mike and Jerry too. :shrug:
I know Spike Trottman and a number of other comic creators absolutely despise Kurtz. I get the impression he was a real rear end in a top hat to the competition.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
People Wil loves could include some bad people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hadji murad posted:

People Wil loves could include some bad people.

I'm honestly afraid something horrible is going to come out about Felicia Day, or something horrible that happened to her will.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'm honestly afraid something horrible is going to come out about Felicia Day, or something horrible that happened to her will.

I've got bad news for you. The horrible thing is being Felicia Day.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
There was a short period of time after she started doing things where people liked Felicia Day and then suddenly I started seeing a bunch of people dump on her and it never really stopped. What happened?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
i was referring to Chris Hardwick fwiw

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Viridiant posted:

There was a short period of time after she started doing things where people liked Felicia Day and then suddenly I started seeing a bunch of people dump on her and it never really stopped. What happened?

I never liked her or understood why anyone did. She will always be the bland, charisma vacuum from Buffy season 7 to me. I've seen her in other stuff and she's aggressively milquetoast. She's like a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a slice of wonder bread.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's been a while since I have seen anything by Will Wheaton, but he always came off as massively egocentric. Not that that excuses Kurtz being a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Viridiant posted:

If we ignore the gamergate types who hate that women are "invading" their geek space, then the only thing I can think of is that she has a quirky personality that sometimes annoys people.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vince MechMahon posted:

I never liked her or understood why anyone did. She will always be the bland, charisma vacuum from Buffy season 7 to me. I've seen her in other stuff and she's aggressively milquetoast. She's like a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a slice of wonder bread.

Thank you for your evaluation of Felicia Day, here, in the ComicsGate/Industry Terribleness Thread.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not gonna lie, if you'd told me 15 years ago that the Sinfest guy was going to take a hard turn into being a full on TERF (after explaining to 15 year younger me what a TERF was) I absolutely would not have believed it. The dude making a mostly harmless dudebro-y three panel strip starring Calvin by way of Johnny Bravo creating glorious full-color paeans to blatant transphobia is one of those things that's never not going to give me a moment of vertigo as I realize the world really is a lot dumber than I give it credit for.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Viridiant posted:

The easiest way to describe it is this: do you recall, prior to the whole thing about his absolute scumbag nature, how Chris Hardwick was the most bland, inoffensive void of a host but he was everywhere, and for everyone who was like "okay he exists" there were two people going "god gently caress that guy"? Felicia Day was the lady version of that.

For what it's worth I think she's his superior in the talent arena but I think there's a lot of overlap in rubbing people the wrong way with little to go on between them (again, prior to recent events).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Archyduchess posted:

Thank you for your evaluation of Felicia Day, here, in the ComicsGate/Industry Terribleness Thread.

:hmmyes:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't know why but people on the line loving love just parachuting into threads to tell you how much they just don't, like, get the love for Felicia Day, y'know?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hadji murad posted:

i was referring to Chris Hardwick fwiw

Did we ever get anything from Wheaton on that, or did he just post pictures of his cat until it blew over because Hardwick's wife has super expensive lawyers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nope. Nothing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

That other dude asked. She's good friends with Chris Hardwick though, and did the same with for poo poo to blow over with him thing that that spineless little dweeb Whedon did, if you want a more concrete reason she might belong in here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People were weirdly, obsessively hateful of Felicia Day long before the Chris Hardwick stuff even happened, let alone came to light.

I think people are just really mad she got to be in a video game and they didn't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is definitely a girl thing going on. She got way more hate than Chris did pre creep reveal. Though she has also kind of fallen out of favor for need hate so people that still hate her are a blast from the past

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Day seemed to be an early focal point for the 'fake geek girl' phenomenon which was weird* because she clearly played video games and read fantasy novels and whatever else (although not the 'correct' ones, of course).

*And by weird I mean typical.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Felicia Day sent a man into space and tortured him by making him watch bad movies. Just horrible.

And they never explained why the various robots were on that satellite when last we saw, Tom and Crow were living on Earth with Mike Nelson.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

Felicia Day sent a man into space and tortured him by making him watch bad movies. Just horrible.

And they never explained why the various robots were on that satellite when last we saw, Tom and Crow were living on Earth with Mike Nelson.

It is just a show you should really just relax.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Day seemed to be an early focal point for the 'fake geek girl' phenomenon which was weird* because she clearly played video games and read fantasy novels and whatever else (although not the 'correct' ones, of course).

*And by weird I mean typical.

I think she's 100% a real nerd, but nerds are all horrible so...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Amazon has the Captain Marvel blu-ray up for preorder. The reviews are pouring in and about what was to be expected!

:goonsay:

Sorry, pal, I was just looking at the 1-star ratings. They all read the same, which is strange.

There's a 100% chance this guy has a Punisher/blue line sticker on his pickup truck.

Ugh how dare they have a black in my DC movies!

V. strange that two military characters are Captain. Also I guess they are Japanese because they put their family name first?

But don't worry, it's not all men writing 1-star reviews! Rosemary Johnsen doesn't like it either!

She also has strong opinions on the Ghostbusters reboot. Hm wonder why that might be....

She was also surprised to learn the Spawn Compendium is in black and white. Spawn, a series women love.

:thunk:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Those reviews were so bad that I am having a hard time believing that they weren't written on a Russian online troll farm.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
whats a petrale

writing a review of spawn, with the title right fuckin there, typing it as spohn

site fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 27, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

whats a petrale

writing a review of spawn, with the title right fuckin there, typing it as spohn

Portrayal

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Marvel posted cringe and is going to lose subscriber.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

V. strange that two military characters are Captain. Also I guess they are Japanese because they put their family name first?

I totally believe Mr. Muggle has a Mrs. Muggle at home that isn't a Hatsune Miku body pillow and kombucha isn't what he calls a Monster energy drink.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

Apparently the live shows covered that.

Tom made a series of really bad investments, and ended up having to move back to the SoL.
Then, after being explicitly warned not to, Crow went ahead and made the exact same investments.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

Civil War comes to mind as the most embarrassing and salient example of Millar's whole schtick that actual political action is dangerous and naive. He likes the razzle-dazzle and spectacle of asking "what if superheroes actually tried to fix systemic problems in the world," but how often does he have them decide they were wrong, or wind up as tyrants and monsters? His whole thing is reactionary-- "the world's nastiness and brutality is fixed, so just wallow in it."

I was thinking earlier today about how a lot of the transgressive sort of shock comics of the last 30-40 years have had a similar conservative bent, that was covered up to varying degrees by the frisson of stylistic excess and "rawness". Johnny Ryan was largely who I had in mind,

Late, but at least on topic!: has Ryan come out with anything specifically political, beyond the conservative implications of generalised nihilism and misanthropy (and kicking-downwards) that was always in his comics?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Marvel's Instagram posted about Captain Marvel coming out and those comments, y'all. Whoo doggy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Captain marvel came out? Good for her

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Captain marvel came out? Good for her

https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/1107672903586381830?s=19

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean if you gave me Captain Marvel and Valkyrie kicking rear end onscreen for two hours between dates I would watch the poo poo out of that movie.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Late, but at least on topic!: has Ryan come out with anything specifically political, beyond the conservative implications of generalised nihilism and misanthropy (and kicking-downwards) that was always in his comics?

Not that I know, but I think the kind of strident, self-indulgently juvenile thing he does in stuff like Angry Youth Comix is sort of a dead end for saying anything meaningful or interesting. It's an exercise in getting away with stuff that I think is a variation of the same impulse behind the more avowedly "apolitical" of the young men drawn to the Proud Boys, a sort of similar decision or desire to react to anomie by just being a prick to people in a worse position than yourself.

I don't want to sound like too much of a Puritan or whatever although I know by inclination and education I have that bad and often reductive habit of wanting to subject the art I encounter to some sort of ideological sniff-test-- I think some of Ivan Brunetti's gag stuff has similar tendencies but by and large I like him and think he's a good cartoonist, and, like, I watched the recent Mike Diana documentary with, more or less, my sympathies with Diana.

I guess part of it is just-- you know-- I think we are in a moment of cultural turbulence where there's a pretty clear line that you have to end up on one side of, and it's increasingly difficult to look at a successful straight male artist calling predicating his aesthetics on calling people retards and faggots well into the early autumn of his career as being on the same side of it as me. Do something better. The other part is (and I feel hypocritical a bit after going after whoever it was for making similar claims about Felicia Day) I just don't like his schtick and so I'm not that inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt. Prison Planet was fine I guess but what's it doing that half a dozen Fort Thunder guys weren't doing in way that was more exciting and appealing (imo)?

So-- I guess basically I mentioned him as an aesthetic evaluation rather than as alluding to anything he did in his personal life.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if you gave me Captain Marvel and Valkyrie kicking rear end onscreen for two hours between dates I would watch the poo poo out of that movie.

:same:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty much objectively a good idea (they're even both cosmic-scale heroes, so shenanigans in outer space!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

No that's pandering. Studios should only make non-pandering movies like Exploding Car Bros vs Boob Ladies and Sunglasses Trenchcoat Nerd Power Fantasy.