Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Or you can just have ADD and need amphetamines to function like modern me, wooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
My mate's brother was drinking so many energy drinks at one point that he used to down 2 monsters right before going to sleep.
This was also during his crippling EVE addiction.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

If you need caffeine just to stay awake during the day the reason you can't stay awake during the day is because you're using so much caffeine and your body has adjusted to counter it, or at least that happened to me a while ago.

If that's not it you might have a circadian rhythm disorder, and you can prolly get a prescription for modafinil which is way better than just mainlining caffeine 24/7 because it doesn't make you jittery or stimulated or increase your heart rate, it just makes you not-tired, which happened to my wife and the script helped a ton. You can also get the prodrug adrafinil without a prescription from the same kinds of places you get nootropics and other definitely-not-adulterated totally-safe-honest-but-not-fit-for-human consumption things, if you're into that

the problem is that im a light sleeper and I'm not going to take any prescription sleep aids because they're all habit forming. anyway I've been like this nearly my entire life so I dont give a poo poo, I just need a cigarette and a coffee (or an hour or two of doing nothing) and I'm fine

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

Just visited my parents, stopped at 7/11 to get some snacks on the way back since it's a 2 hour drive, found these wonderful things:

A friend of mine actually tried them before and they're a disgusting "energy drink" flavor

Dragon gummies? That are at least blood orange flavored but maybe also strawberry?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

the problem is that im a light sleeper and I'm not going to take any prescription sleep aids because they're all habit forming. anyway I've been like this nearly my entire life so I dont give a poo poo, I just need a cigarette and a coffee (or an hour or two of doing nothing) and I'm fine

Oh yeah in that case you're hosed, sorry bud :(

Len posted:

Dragon gummies? That are at least blood orange flavored but maybe also strawberry?

I predicted someone would want to see the dragon ones so I took a wider picture too:

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Or you can just have ADD and need amphetamines to function like modern me, wooo

Wheeee hello "drinking coffee to supplement too low medication" buddy!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I just noticed the like, magic card with the guitar on it in the corner of the gamer gummies? I don't get gamers I guess

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Wheeee hello "drinking coffee to supplement too low medication" buddy!

Oh you can't fill my prescription because you're out of it until Thursday since it's college test season? That's ok, I'll just snort red bull or something and hope nobody needs me to do anything important.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Oh you can't fill my prescription because you're out of it until Thursday since it's college test season? That's ok, I'll just snort red bull or something and hope nobody needs me to do anything important.

Look, just because I kept forgetting to refill my script until the day after I ran out and then you don't have my patches in stock and need to reorder DOES NOT mean this is my fault. In a way I'm still trying to figure out.

...also can you ring up this case of cold brew concentrate?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Look, just because I kept forgetting to refill my script until the day after I ran out and then you don't have my patches in stock and need to reorder DOES NOT mean this is my fault. In a way I'm still trying to figure out.

...also can you ring up this case of cold brew concentrate?

In my case since it's a schedule 2 controlled substance I'm explicitly not allowed to refill my script until two days before I run out by law, and even though this part isn't law it's also the policy of every pharmacy near me to not take any script ahead of time, so I have to go to the pharmacy and drop off the script then pick it up later no less than 28 days after filling my last prescription for 30 days worth. Oh and it has to be a physical paper prescription for 30 days worth and no refills, hand-written by a doctor (not an RN or anyone else).

At least my doctor is allowed to write three of them at once now and post-date each one, but Jesus is this whole thing bullshit.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shame Boy posted:

In my case since it's a schedule 2 controlled substance I'm explicitly not allowed to refill my script until two days before I run out by law, and even though this part isn't law it's also the policy of every pharmacy near me to not take any script ahead of time, so I have to go to the pharmacy and drop off the script then pick it up later no less than 28 days after filling my last prescription for 30 days worth. Oh and it has to be a physical paper prescription for 30 days worth and no refills, hand-written by a doctor (not an RN or anyone else).

At least my doctor is allowed to write three of them at once now and post-date each one, but Jesus is this whole thing bullshit.

Hey now, we can't have you selling addictive, potentially dangerous drugs to the good people!

*pockets tobacco lobby money*

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh and since they can't put the script in the system ahead of time and can't order too much of a schedule 2 controlled substance at once, they're always short on it because they can't do inventory properly, great job!

Pro tip for anyone who's on adderall like me tho: switch to the extended release. College kids don't seem to abuse it much at all since it's, well, extended release and not all at once, so it's way more likely to actually be in stock. Also you only have to take one a day instead of two which is nice.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my spouse is on modafinil for narcolepsy and his insurance (medicaid/medicaid provider) needs to authorize it every single time and his doctor's office kept trying to do refills despite knowing this

our pharmacy was closing and we wanted to transfer it but we can't until the refills are done. so he called in his refill. days later his insurance said they needed an authorization. he called his doctor, the pharmacy contacted them too. the doctor said they'd take care of it. and then the pharmacy closed. :allears:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Shame Boy posted:

Oh yeah in that case you're hosed, sorry bud :(

I predicted someone would want to see the dragon ones so I took a wider picture too:

How could you originally post this and not include the brony gummies?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

snoo posted:

my spouse is on modafinil for narcolepsy and his insurance (medicaid/medicaid provider) needs to authorize it every single time and his doctor's office kept trying to do refills despite knowing this

our pharmacy was closing and we wanted to transfer it but we can't until the refills are done. so he called in his refill. days later his insurance said they needed an authorization. he called his doctor, the pharmacy contacted them too. the doctor said they'd take care of it. and then the pharmacy closed. :allears:

It's a generic and it's like $35 for a month's supply without insurance, why the hell would they need to prior auth that :psyduck:

loving insurance companies god dammit

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it's $800+ a month without insurance lmfao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ok let me rephrase that, it's $35 for a month's supply for the insurance companies so of course it's $800 for you

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

also he's a poor, can't be getting affordable medicine, gosh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah I just looked it up and Medicaid pays $0.95 each for 100mg modafinil (and $1.14 for 200mg) so like, under $30 for a month's supply

loving christ our medical system is so broken

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

i took adderall for a while and getting it filled was always such a pain in the rear end. Then my insurance started requiring prior authorization from my doctor because you stop needing adderall once you turn 23 apparently. Except they wanted authorization every couple months and it would regularly take like two weeks or more for them to process it. I eventually stopped taking it because it was basically impossible to have reliable access to it. The XR version didn't seem to do much for me, unfortunately.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Capitalism.txt - We can't have you be addicted to these drugs, please get properly addicted to these opiates instead

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Intended marketing target, right to left: girl child, boy child, manchild.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

i took adderall for a while and getting it filled was always such a pain in the rear end. Then my insurance started requiring prior authorization from my doctor because you stop needing adderall once you turn 23 apparently. Except they wanted authorization every couple months and it would regularly take like two weeks or more for them to process it. I eventually stopped taking it because it was basically impossible to have reliable access to it. The XR version didn't seem to do much for me, unfortunately.

See my psychologist (and later psychiatrist) only settled on me having ADD after I was 23, which means 1) I hosed up a lot earlier in my life in ways that I can say almost definitely were affected by not being medicated for it in retrospect and 2) I get to be in the fun position of proving to doctors and insurance companies ever since that yes, this is a real actual thing, I'm not just selling them or snorting them or whatever, yes I've tried going off them or trying other things, no that doesn't work, look here are signed documents from multiple doctors saying I'm telling the truth, please give me the loving thing I need thank you.

My psychologist says she figured out I had it way back in highschool, and thinks I've had it since I was a kid and nobody caught it because I was a super dork who managed to do good enough in school to balance out the stuff I didn't do at all or did badly. And apparently she didn't bring it up in highschool because I had other bigger problems I was dealing with and because "nobody in the world will believe a highschool kid isn't just trying to score drugs, and I didn't trust you not to take all of them at once anyway" which, ok, fair, I was not exactly not trying to do all the drugs I could in highschool.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I work at a pharmacy and being the guy behind the counter having to watch these stories day in and day out while being completely powerless to help is basically what pushed me to becoming a communist.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

See my psychologist (and later psychiatrist) only settled on me having ADD after I was 23, which means 1) I hosed up a lot earlier in my life in ways that I can say almost definitely were affected by not being medicated for it in retrospect and 2) I get to be in the fun position of proving to doctors and insurance companies ever since that yes, this is a real actual thing, I'm not just selling them or snorting them or whatever, yes I've tried going off them or trying other things, no that doesn't work, look here are signed documents from multiple doctors saying I'm telling the truth, please give me the loving thing I need thank you.

My psychologist says she figured out I had it way back in highschool, and thinks I've had it since I was a kid and nobody caught it because I was a super dork who managed to do good enough in school to balance out the stuff I didn't do at all or did badly. And apparently she didn't bring it up in highschool because I had other bigger problems I was dealing with and because "nobody in the world will believe a highschool kid isn't just trying to score drugs, and I didn't trust you not to take all of them at once anyway" which, ok, fair, I was not exactly not trying to do all the drugs I could in highschool.

yeah, i started taking it when i was 20 after years of constantly struggling in school and failing classes and almost getting kicked out of college. but i was a quiet girl who everyone thought was smart instead of a loud hyperactive boy so ADHD was never mentioned or brought up as a possibility. it did help me a ton and i would never have been able to finish college otherwise so i'm thinking about trying to get back on it or something similar because it's not like my issues have just gone away. i honestly had a really easy time getting prescriptions for it from doctors though. i'm sure this is almost entirely because i don't fit their stereotype of a drugseeker or someone who's going to sell it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

do u have a blog I can like and subscribe

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

do u have a blog I can like and subscribe

I'm not sure what joke you're making here but ok. Like that I'm just talking about it for attention or something? I try to only talk about it in the larger context of "gently caress the medical system is broken" and not just for "waah I'm so special give me attention" reasons. Unless I'm completely misreading your post in which case :shrug:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hey now, we can't have you selling addictive, potentially dangerous drugs to the good people!

*pockets tobacco lobby money*

gently caress off. i like my cigarettes and i know full well how bad they are for me, but caffeine can't be the only stimulant in my life alright. the tobacco lobby is horrible, especially in other countries that still let them do significant advertising and stuff, but i swear to god if some jackass trying to promote healthy alternatives raises the sin tax again i'm going to lose it

besides i've tried giving up all my vices and i can only keep it up for like a week before i binge on one of them. better to just smoke

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Larry Parrish posted:

gently caress off. i like my cigarettes and i know full well how bad they are for me, but caffeine can't be the only stimulant in my life alright. the tobacco lobby is horrible, especially in other countries that still let them do significant advertising and stuff, but i swear to god if some jackass trying to promote healthy alternatives raises the sin tax again i'm going to lose it

besides i've tried giving up all my vices and i can only keep it up for like a week before i binge on one of them. better to just smoke

Learn to loving read, I was pointing out the hypocrisy of politicians pocketing profits from tobacco -- which as you admitted is objectively bad for you -- while ruthlessly and needlessly policing medication necessary for people to live. I want people to have the freedom to smoke and dip and Juul and Snus and shove it up their rear end all or whatever they wish, but I'd also like for people to have access to needed loving medicine too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Just throw instant coffee into a gallon jug and leave it in the fridge.

Shamble into the fridge, yank open the door then take a few semi-conscious gulps.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
On the topic of ADHD thanks to the brilliance of the US medical system my partner wasn't diagnosed until well into adulthood based on the fact they werent previously diagnosed with ADHD. Naturally their first time dropping out of college, bad grades before that or any bad outcomes were things they earned and not the system failing them in ways they're stil paying for.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Coolness Averted posted:

On the topic of ADHD thanks to the brilliance of the US medical system my partner wasn't diagnosed until well into adulthood based on the fact they werent previously diagnosed with ADHD. Naturally their first time dropping out of college, bad grades before that or any bad outcomes were things they earned and not the system failing them in ways they're stil paying for.

turns out that a method that requires being diagnosed in childhood doesn't work very well when there's massive political pushback against 'putting too many kids on drugs' for a decade

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know like 3 people off the top of my head who def have ADHD but just never got the meds until their mid 20s

One of them got diagnosed even but the parents didn't want to give him meds I guess

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

I know like 3 people off the top of my head who def have ADHD but just never got the meds until their mid 20s

One of them got diagnosed even but the parents didn't want to give him meds I guess

the 90s were a wild ride

we're currently in the middle of the same thing, for painkillers. there's a very real opioid epidemic so naturally i go to a clinic that has prominent signs up that they will not prescribe painkillers for anything period (with a largely medicaid population ofc) and tells everyone to take ibuprofen and eat poo poo no matter what

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

atelier morgan posted:

the 90s were a wild ride

we're currently in the middle of the same thing, for painkillers. there's a very real opioid epidemic so naturally i go to a clinic that has prominent signs up that they will not prescribe painkillers for anything period (with a largely medicaid population ofc) and tells everyone to take ibuprofen and eat poo poo no matter what

Do they at least give you a script for the ibuprofen because it's half the price at the pharmacy that way

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Yeah I'm currently in the hospital with my third pilonidal cyst (if you don't know what that is let's just say I've given birth and that was less painful than what I'm going through). Doctors have done very painful procedures and even acknowledged how painful it is.

I was given a prescription for 6 hydrocodone and then told to basically eat poo poo because my area has been hit hard by the opioid epidemic.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ebola Roulette posted:

Yeah I'm currently in the hospital with my third pilonidal cyst (if you don't know what that is let's just say I've given birth and that was less painful than what I'm going through). Doctors have done very painful procedures and even acknowledged how painful it is.

I was given a prescription for 6 hydrocodone and then told to basically eat poo poo because my area has been hit hard by the opioid epidemic.

You straight up dont get opioids unless you're on a hospital bed where I'm from.
I went through the same (and since I was a teen ashamed of my diseased butt I sat on it for the better part of a year and a half) and they gave me the option of general anesthesia since it was so close to bone. I took the general anesthesia.
Spent 2 days post surgery in a numb fugue on an IV of Diclofenac but thats better than feeling the open gash in my butt.

(Get you guys some universal healthcare, its good)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
We don't need universal healthcare, I mean, just look at me! I got a suite of mental disorders but I don't need doctors when I can self-medicate with booze and stimulants and spend all my free time paranoid and terrified of the world or immobilized by crushing depression. I can still work for now, and that's all that matters!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ebola Roulette posted:

As somebody who has had one of those just once fuuuuuck that is awful and you have my sympathy. :stonk:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Glad the Rush Limbaughs got hooked on oxy and now we have to think of the children and fix thisnvery serious epidemic that someone must have caused

Bombadilillo has issued a correction as of 16:32 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

they're gonna blame it on mexican drug cartels

I'm not even sure how many mental problems I have, but I know that smoking weed and posting has done more to help me than any rear end in a top hat in a white coat.