Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Moe is better when he's a criminal slimeball rather than a lonely depressed guy.

In "Homer's Phobia" Moe says "Looks like it's suicide again for me" and I thought that was a quite good way of showing other facets of this, as you say, criminal slimeball. But then they had to keep at it, as if it was a joke in and of itself. This seems a kind of lazy way of writing for a sitcom ("here is A Thing Which Happened, it is funny because we said so") to me, but I'm not being paid top dollar for my comedy writing, so what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Does anyone remember after a simpsons episode where they dissed fox, they had Homer reading a script over the credits saying he was sorry for saying the bad things, and then someone fires a gun several times and you hear a body hit the floor. I tried searching but I am the worst searcher on the internet.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Does anyone remember after a simpsons episode where they dissed fox, they had Homer reading a script over the credits saying he was sorry for saying the bad things, and then someone fires a gun several times and you hear a body hit the floor. I tried searching but I am the worst searcher on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzr7HPsWTwU Which is from "Marge Simpson in: "Screaming Yellow Honkers""

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Ahh you found it! No wonder I never saw it again on tv either, that episode is in the dead zone.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

SeANMcBAY posted:

Moe is better when he's a criminal slimeball rather than a lonely depressed guy.

I was going to post this. He's great as a background character who is doing something simultaneously nefarious and absurd, like smuggling pandas, but is ultimately just a gag in an otherwise unrelated episode.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Analytic Engine posted:

Longshot:
Does anyone know the podcast episode where John Mulaney "jokes" that Matt Groening's initial creative input sucked? And that it was only the talented showrunners (Sam Simon & JLB) that made something of the Simpsons despite getting 1% of the credit. He was pretty brutal in a charming "John Mulaney" way

No but I'd love to hear it

SeANMcBAY posted:

GET HIM BACK TO SEAWORLD

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
One of the cool thing about Every Simpsons Ever on FXX is that they'll do a night that's just like, Moe episodes in chronological order, you can chart the character decay

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Analytic Engine posted:

Longshot:
Does anyone know the podcast episode where John Mulaney "jokes" that Matt Groening's initial creative input sucked? And that it was only the talented showrunners (Sam Simon & JLB) that made something of the Simpsons despite getting 1% of the credit. He was pretty brutal in a charming "John Mulaney" way

I’m a fan of the theory that Flaming Moe’s was a veiled attack by Sam Simon on Matt Groening for stamping his name on everything and wanting to claim sole credit for the show being successful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

Talking Simpsons is just starting to get to the downfall and I've even seen those guys go the "The Megan Amram episode is fantastic!" Really? The episode about gender swaps that says everything everyone's said, only two years too late and has characters uncharacteristically speaking strawman lines from internet comments is "fantastic?" What's a perfectly cromulent word you'd use for a given season 4 episode, then?

They've said quite a few times they're fans of the new seasons, even though they often ask their guests when they stopped watching.

That podcast is gonna start to suck along with the show. Their last free episode was "This Little Wiggy", which is a real garbage episode for Season 9, and they gush over it and repeat all the lame jokes like it was good.

It would be cool if they started hate-watching the show, but I think they've got too many connections with Simpsons staff.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

PostNouveau posted:

They've said quite a few times they're fans of the new seasons, even though they often ask their guests when they stopped watching.

That podcast is gonna start to suck along with the show. Their last free episode was "This Little Wiggy", which is a real garbage episode for Season 9, and they gush over it and repeat all the lame jokes like it was good.

It would be cool if they started hate-watching the show, but I think they've got too many connections with Simpsons staff.

They just dumped all over the Lord of the Flies episode, I wouldn't be so quick to write them off as Simpsons shills. And I just watched This Little Wiggy in my rewatch several weeks ago and thought it was perfectly fine, maybe some people like different episodes than you???

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Frog Act posted:

I’d say only 14 and 15 show that improvement, as 13 starts with the godawful simpsons cross over and probably has other garbage in it

You should just go straight to American dad and start with season 2 or 3. It didn’t know what kind of show it was in season 1 and those episodes are way worse, then by season 3 it’s found it’s pattern. Once you get to season 8 or so it just becomes a steady improvement to where I’d say the current American dad is as good a use of the medium as any golden age simpsons episode. Season 15 has been nonstop gold, and season 14 didn’t have a single bad episode. I think out of the whole run there are two episodes I don’t like, maybe 3, and they’re all musicals

American Dad is so good. It really sets a new bar for the fox style animated sitcom

The latest seasons of American dad have been awful. It's just non sequiturs, silly noises, some swears/gore and reheated bits (not even jokes) from previous, good episodes. Compared to Family Guy it's now the lol so randumb Seth McFarlane show.

It's got the same problem The Simpsons had where eventually it was just being written by fans of the show (who definitely had their own terrible webcomics in the early 00's).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What are the recommended Family Guy seasons? I find the notion that it matured at all kind of intriguing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fawf posted:

They just dumped all over the Lord of the Flies episode, I wouldn't be so quick to write them off as Simpsons shills. And I just watched This Little Wiggy in my rewatch several weeks ago and thought it was perfectly fine, maybe some people like different episodes than you???

Nahhhhh

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sassassin posted:

The latest seasons of American dad have been awful. It's just non sequiturs, silly noises, some swears/gore and reheated bits (not even jokes) from previous, good episodes. Compared to Family Guy it's now the lol so randumb Seth McFarlane show.

It's got the same problem The Simpsons had where eventually it was just being written by fans of the show (who definitely had their own terrible webcomics in the early 00's).

Nope

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sassassin posted:

This might be the wrongest cartoon opinion I’ve ever seen. It specifically ditched non sequiturs for surrealism and character driven humor, you’re describing the earlier seasons, if anything

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mak0rz posted:

What are the recommended Family Guy seasons? I find the notion that it matured at all kind of intriguing.

The only ones I would recommend are the original three pre-cancellation seasons. After that maybe like seasons 4-6 are okay. Then it’s pretty much garbage and filler with the exception of every Brian and Stewie episode. The current season has been surprisingly good, and maybe the last two before it have been decent.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
4-6 (around that range) have some very good jokes and episodes, sone of my favorites. Same with South Park's 6-10 run, which I'd call the best of that show even though it's after the initial hype of it all.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sad sack Moe can be funny but as was said it has to be done in a way to make you maybe pity Moe but not sympathize with him.

https://youtu.be/bZ1QOoWn764

https://youtu.be/iQGwrK_yDEg

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Fawf posted:

They’ve definitely gone from hating post-golden age episodes to “c’mon everyone, there’s some good stuff among the wreckage.” Can’t really blame them, as the show’s Patreon is their main source of income and if they want to keep getting interviews with staff they can’t really attack Al Jean anymore.

Look at what Bob was writing here five years ago: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/simpsons-crossover/

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fawf posted:

They didn't really dump on the Flies episode. The consensus was "It was better than I was originally telling myself it was." Back in the day, that episode was hated because it had a lazy ending, but most people kind of don't care now considering how terrible the show got. Generally, the consensus around here is that 9 has some of the most memorable jokes, and the occasionally great episode, but 10 is where pretty much every episode had way more misses than hits.

Mak0rz posted:

I still maintain the first 3 seasons are some of the best animated comedy out there. It's witty in a lowbrow sort of way with lots of snappy pacing and delivery. Season 4 is where the show got its first revival, and it really relies on cutaway gags and forced references. There's watchable stuff in there, but as the seasons go by, eventually the show gets really cruel in tone and actually sickening in visuals on top of just being aggressively unfunny. I actually had to go back to the early seasons to see if I was misremembering, and no, even when Peter was doing something like being selfish, it was rarely ever mean-spirited, and was always shown to make him look the fool.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Roger from American Dad is literally the best character to ever have been written for television. He's not he first character with that kind of flexibility from his personas and outfits, but his baseline character as a weird paul lynde alcoholic is already amazing and then they stack 1000 distinct characters on top of it. American Dad picked up where the simpsons dropped off and is still going.

Plan Z posted:

I still maintain the first 3 seasons are some of the best animated comedy out there. It's witty in a lowbrow sort of way with lots of snappy pacing and delivery. Season 4 is where the show got its first revival, and it really relies on cutaway gags and forced references. There's watchable stuff in there, but as the seasons go by, eventually the show gets really cruel in tone and actually sickening in visuals on top of just being aggressively unfunny. I actually had to go back to the early seasons to see if I was misremembering, and no, even when Peter was doing something like being selfish, it was rarely ever mean-spirited, and was always shown to make him look the fool.

I have no idea what seasons it was, but i want to say 2012ish family guy was super funny, and the absolute worst parts about it was the edgy shock humor that felt tacked on to make it feel more "family guyish". Seth McFarland is kind of a turd but I think all three of his cartoons are really good, except for the things that made them popular in the first place.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 27, 2019

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
what's the deal with Seth MacFarlane's name that makes half the internet think it's MacFarland

I don't know what the D bugs me so much but it does

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's the same illiterate rubes who called it the "Gameboy Advanced."

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Mc/MacFarland is a regularish name and macfarlane is not, hope this helps

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
idk they both seem normal to me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sassassin posted:

They're actually good and it's you who's trash

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I remember hearing American Dad's second/third season improvement is partly due to them gaining a big portion of the original Futurama writing staff when that show ended its FOX run.

For years MacFarlane hasn't been subtle about his desire for Family Guy to end, but it's still a moneymaker and all he needs to provide is voicework. On promo tours for his past few live action projects, one of his bits was that he'd always recommend American Dad as the animated show of his which was secretly really good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Frog Act posted:

This might be the wrongest cartoon opinion I’ve ever seen. It specifically ditched non sequiturs for surrealism and character driven humor, you’re describing the earlier seasons, if anything

You're describing the show before it changed networks.

Simple rule - if it has a cold open it's garbage.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I think even the first season is actually worth watching because it gives you a good perspective on the evolution of the show and its humor versus its original intention. it began as a shallow, pandering vehicle for lazy Bush administration era jokes about the color coded terrorist warning system and homophobia in the Republican Party. There were occasional tone breaking cutaways and some really bad lines before they found their footing, one that sticks with me is Klaus saying something like “In the Middle Ages, midgets were not allowed to have orgasms, which were called the little death. Read your bible people!” with no context at all, sort of exemplifies their confused tone in the early episodes. they also heavily borrowed from generic sitcom setups in general with a few episodes, but I generally like some of them (like the one where Roger joins a fraternity) and it was more creative than stuff like the Cleveland show from the beginning

Yeah, when I first saw it, I wasn't really too hot on it because 1) it seemed like a straight up knockoff of Family Guy and 2) it was riding off lazy anti-GWB sentiment at the time. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I was against mocking Bush, it's that everyone was doing at the time that I thought it wasn't a unique or edgy thing to do by that point (it's a similar reason I wasn't really hot on The Newsroom). After watching it, I thought it was pretty decent, and miles ahead of the revived Family Guy, which was udder pigslop by that point. As time went on AD slowly started finding its footing and became a legitimately good show. I would never have imagined in a million years it would have went past two seasons.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I have never seen anything since they moved to TBS, or probably a few seasons before that, but I just watched a youtube video called "American dad best of stan" and it's all TBS era stuff and seems like it is still extremely good and funny, which is more than I would have normally expected from the writer of Ted, the cringiest movie of this century.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Cleveland Show is as funny as the best seasons of family guy, but you have to really love Cleveland.

I absolutely adore Cleveland.

I haven’t seen the very latest season of American Dad on TBS but AD is the show that really has legs and could go forever

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

homeless guy posted:

what's the deal with Seth MacFarlane's name that makes half the internet think it's MacFarland

I don't know what the D bugs me so much but it does

Complete venn diagram overlap with people who put the dollar sign after the number

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Past couple days I’ve watched seasons 10-15 of family guy and the mean, racist humor seems to stop kind of suddenly in season 14. 10-13 are still gross as poo poo and I counted a half dozen jokes that were just “Jewish people are greedy and miserly” in those three and then none in 14/15. Bad family guy is just terrible but it feels like they fired their chud writers for the more recent season or something

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The “Brian takes mushrooms” episode is the worst episode of any of his shows and the only episode I just flat out refuse to ever watch again.

The Lois & Brian meta-sub plot has always bothered me, and there is like 2-3 years where you could tell the writers room was a lot of sweaty men discussing exactly how many hot chicks Brian should bang and exactly what is the ratio of being a dog vs being a Casanova and the show just becomes this rolling garbage dump of gross dog-sex plotlines.

I don’t mean to get all Tinfoil Hat about it but seriously, I feel like S12-S15 are like over half the episodes being about Brian the Dog loving a hot/old/blind lady and just rolling with this weird furry plotline.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dunno why you guys even bother powering through bad seasons of tv shows

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

life is a joke posted:

Roger from American Dad is literally the best character to ever have been written for television. He's not he first character with that kind of flexibility from his personas and outfits, but his baseline character as a weird paul lynde alcoholic is already amazing and then they stack 1000 distinct characters on top of it. American Dad picked up where the simpsons dropped off and is still going.

Haven't thought about that, but that is probably super helpful for Roger to just be a different character so you don't run into the Simpsons/Family Guy thing of just having too many characters around that you have to flesh out. If you just need this type of character to do an episode, you don't need to bring in a character, name them, then either write them into the universe or just awkwardly dump them at the end of an episode.

Bust Rodd posted:

The Cleveland Show is as funny as the best seasons of family guy, but you have to really love Cleveland.

I absolutely adore Cleveland.

I haven’t seen the very latest season of American Dad on TBS but AD is the show that really has legs and could go forever

Cleveland was kind of the secret best character on Family Guy for a long run.

"Could you repeat that please, Peter? I believe I had something crazy in my ear."

Bust Rodd posted:

The “Brian takes mushrooms” episode is the worst episode of any of his shows and the only episode I just flat out refuse to ever watch again.

The Lois & Brian meta-sub plot has always bothered me, and there is like 2-3 years where you could tell the writers room was a lot of sweaty men discussing exactly how many hot chicks Brian should bang and exactly what is the ratio of being a dog vs being a Casanova and the show just becomes this rolling garbage dump of gross dog-sex plotlines.

I don’t mean to get all Tinfoil Hat about it but seriously, I feel like S12-S15 are like over half the episodes being about Brian the Dog loving a hot/old/blind lady and just rolling with this weird furry plotline.

A lot of cartoons seem like they go through this. There were a lot of awkward Marge episodes of the Simpsons, as well as some Futuramas that feel like Deviantart guest-wrote them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Plan Z posted:

A lot of cartoons seem like they go through this. There were a lot of awkward Marge episodes of the Simpsons, as well as some Futuramas that feel like Deviantart guest-wrote them.

This is seriously how I view all post-cancellation Futurama. It’s a lot of weird “have these two hosed yet?” 90’s sit-com drek.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I am suddenly reminded of the Simpsons episode where Marge poses for a charity calendar and everyone in Springfield admires her sexiness. I know it was probably written to coincide with the Playboy thing, but that was irritating as well. I would prefer not to have all the characters worship Marge without condition. Especially Moe. Shut up Moe.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Moe having a thing for Midge was in like season five and six though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The mount splashmore sequence wouldn't be possible with the new lovely animation style