Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wtf is the john wick throw

e. google says it's a sode tsurikomi goshi. Know what makes that throw loving rip? Doing it from two sleeves instead of from the leg grab. You can also do it without letting go of the collar. It's a very high percentage throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ihop posted:

OR you can do the throws the awesome way and not worry about the rules.

:hmmyes:

Yeah, our Judo is not super organized. Its really more of just focused stand up work than strict Judo. Our randori is really just kind of working on takedowns. Like, we will regularly go for single and double-legs along with more traditional Judo stuff.

I actually got the fireman's carry but decided it would be super dickish to actually do the front roll so I just let him back down

CommonShore posted:

e. google says it's a sode tsurikomi goshi. Know what makes that throw loving rip? Doing it from two sleeves instead of from the leg grab. You can also do it without letting go of the collar. It's a very high percentage throw.

Nah, its a Sambo technique. Someone posted about it earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7AQC7BhLbA

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

:hmmyes:

Yeah, our Judo is not super organized. Its really more of just focused stand up work than strict Judo. Our randori is really just kind of working on takedowns. Like, we will regularly go for single and double-legs along with more traditional Judo stuff.

I actually got the fireman's carry but decided it would be super dickish to actually do the front roll so I just let him back down

Nah, its a Sambo technique. Someone posted about it earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7AQC7BhLbA

It's a judo throw also. Judo has only banned touching your opponent's leg for the last ten years or so. (The video you linked gives the judo name at 0:26.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hellblazer187 posted:

It's a judo throw also. Judo has only banned touching your opponent's leg for the last ten years or so. (The video you linked gives the judo name at 0:26.

Ah, I was looking at clips and it seemed different.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

CommonShore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9T4gBQ7UY

You aren't wrong these are awesome. Though a lot of those look like the landing is pretty rough on the neck.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Not usually too bad, even if tori lands on you, since he's usually attached the whole time. It's a scary throw because it's a bit disorienting in the air, and it feels like the arm you want to slap/post with is trapped and you're going to land on your head. Fortunately if somebody is skilled enough to get you off the ground with sode tsuri komi goshi they're probably skilled enough to put you down properly on your back.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Jerome Louis posted:

I got to roll with Urijah during his prep for this match. I don't know why though cus I'm an old 260 lb purple belt. He subbed me with a neck crank, good times

That's awesome.

I think Nicky will sub him. I'm surprised Urijah is the betting favorite.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

heeebrew posted:

That's awesome.

I think Nicky will sub him. I'm surprised Urijah is the betting favorite.

Agreed, and the way Urijah was talking about it, I don't think he really expects to win either, but he enjoys competing and has a good relationship with Nicky's team so he views it as giving this young guy a chance to shine. Don't get me wrong, Urijah is a competitor though so if he gets the chance to win he'll take it

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

re: John Wick chat

A judo advisor for the 3rd movie was on Stephen Kesting's podcast. There's some movie stuff, but also his ideas on judo and different ways to practice is (hobby, sport, combat). Its decent.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

about 18 months ago I was dealign with your problems. I'm the exact same size as you, close to the same age, and have lots of big training partners.

#1 - don't concede bottom is correct. Fight from the top as much as you can. I'll stand right up if I need to.

Smaller guys who are new just pull into guard or drop back on the ground and I always ask them why they do that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh, right, trip report on the last two sessions, after determining not to concede the top postion: night and day difference! Subbed a bigger, stronger, but newer white belt with an anaconda roll after he fumbled a double leg and I, you know, actually committed to some kind of sprawl.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

First day back on the mats post surgery was a success. Had to tap to mount pressure though. Felt good to be back and moving around.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

One of the black belts showed me some sort of weird Keenan Cornelius lapel guard and I may be hooked.

In my first roll playing with it I got 3 sweeps and kept a guy who usually passes my open guard in about 30 seconds from passing at all.

Also holy poo poo my hand is sore and tired after holding onto the lapel all night.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dislocated my thumb for a fifth time going for a collar grab.

Any recs on a good wrap/brace to wear when rolling?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Well it would be a lie to call Ryan vs Faber exciting , but it's at least somewhat interesting to see two hyper-focused narrow gameplans in a grappling match - even if the match itself didn't turn out to be very interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dante posted:

Well it would be a lie to call Ryan vs Faber exciting , but it's at least somewhat interesting to see two hyper-focused narrow gameplans in a grappling match - even if the match itself didn't turn out to be very interesting.

I enjoyed it. It was one of those fights that you knew could explode into an ultra-violent finish at any second, and I felt like there was enough engagement for it to be interesting the whole way through.

Faber got totally saved from that heel hook though.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

One of the black belts showed me some sort of weird Keenan Cornelius lapel guard and I may be hooked.

In my first roll playing with it I got 3 sweeps and kept a guy who usually passes my open guard in about 30 seconds from passing at all.

Also holy poo poo my hand is sore and tired after holding onto the lapel all night.

Speaking of, how the hell do you shut down worm guard?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If you kill keenan cornelius his vampire army will also die

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

do no-gi

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Great question.

So far my only (minor) successes have been keeping them from making the grips at all, rolling through when they try to pass the grip off between hands to end up back in a scramble, and ezekieling/guillotining them when they sit up to futz around with grips. I'm fairly certain other people will have more effective advice though.

Apparently a guy popped up in the gym doing it at an open mat like 2 months ago and now there's like 10 consistent worm guard players. It's a goddamn plague.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Every blue and purple on Earth is loving around with lapels right now.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

leg drag the wormhole leg before the lapel pass maybe

Lapel shenanigans is the new meta without any well established means of defense right now. Going to be great watching Keenan at worlds in a week.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I feel really good about a competition this last weekend. I am the kind of guy who doesn't take naturally to competition, but I do it once a year or so as a sort of philosophical thing, I guess, no point doing martial arts if you don't fight people. Anyway, I usually lose every match like poo poo, and i'm bad with adrenaline and stuff. Last weekend I entered a weight division lower than usual, I got 3 wins, 2 losses, and 1 DQ for reaping (basically a win), then I withdrew with injury because I got kneebarred real hard (hyperextension injury, ligaments fine, can't train for 4 weeks)

It was a bunch of small victories:
1. Didn't feel tired at all, handled the adrenaline well, never gave up on anything, was still going full smesh at the end of 5 minute rounds
2. Did my weight cut/management really well, finally found pre-tournament foods and rituals that worked for me
3. Got a medal (bronze in a six man division) that I didn't immediately throw in the bin (like when you get bronze in a 3 man division)
4. Hit some cool poo poo: two o-goshis in the no-gi, a kimura from top half guard with a cool rolling finish in the gi
5. Realized that I outclass a bunch of people in standup? I usually panic and pull guard but I was dominating grips and they were pulling guard on me to escape it. Judo is paying off.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Awesome stuff. Sorry to hear about your knee though, hope recovery is quick!

Trying to figure out if something is a legit choke or a lovely neck crank.

I've got the back, and am trying to set up the bow and arrow. Left arm is over his left shoulder grabbing his right lapel.

As I transition back to try to get the pants grip for the finish, he turns to his left and comes up to his knees.

I still have my left hook in and the collar grip with my left hand, and I transition the left hook up under his left arm and bring my right leg up under his face like I'm going for a belly down armbar, and then extend my hips pulling on the collar grip.

Is this a thing? If not, what should I look to do from there instead (beyond working on my back control to keep the dude from getting to his knees in the first place)?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

butros posted:

All taps are equal in the eyes of God

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

butros posted:

I've got the back, and am trying to set up the bow and arrow. Left arm is over his left shoulder grabbing his right lapel.

As I transition back to try to get the pants grip for the finish, he turns to his left and comes up to his knees.

I still have my left hook in and the collar grip with my left hand, and I transition the left hook up under his left arm and bring my right leg up under his face like I'm going for a belly down armbar, and then extend my hips pulling on the collar grip.

Is this a thing? If not, what should I look to do from there instead (beyond working on my back control to keep the dude from getting to his knees in the first place)?

What's putting pressure on the left side of his neck? Your thigh? What's stopping him from turning his body into you to take pressure off both sides of the neck? To debug chokes, put it on tight but not forceful and count to 10. If they pass out or tap, it's a good choke. If not, start looking at why he's getting blood to his brain.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

All taps are equal in the eyes of God

No argument but let's at least pretend to be interested in good technical grappling

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What's putting pressure on the left side of his neck? Your thigh? What's stopping him from turning his body into you to take pressure off both sides of the neck?

Yeah that's what's making me think it's more of a neck crank.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Speaking of worlds, looking forward to all the blue belt and purple belt matches. A lot of talent in those ranks.

ihop posted:

Every blue and purple on Earth is loving around with lapels right now.

In all fairness loving with the lapel was always a thing. I use it for setups from guard and even have one for a bow and arrow setup, but worm guard? It is like a loving plague.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I was rolling with a white belt earlier who asked the head instructor when he would be promoted to Blue belt because he had almost been doing two years, he also asked if his six months at another school counted

Like, come on bro

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was rolling with a white belt earlier who asked the head instructor when he would be promoted to Blue belt because he had almost been doing two years, he also asked if his six months at another school counted

Like, come on bro

Ooof.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, come on bro

We use kicksite at our gym and there are people now who can countdown to the day they get their next stripe.

UGH. Just loving train...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I don't want a blue belt until I can beat anyone with a white belt 99 times out of 100

Like, if I get my blue belt and a white belt could still tap me I would give the belt back

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

We use kicksite at our gym and there are people now who can countdown to the day they get their next stripe.

UGH. Just loving train...

This is neither here nor there, but I know of a brown belt whose been a purple belt for going on six years until just last week. He has been training consistently for ten or so years but because of consulting or whatever basically switches gyms every six months or so. He's a beast that will stomp newer or lower skilled black belts and he's maintained a zen about the situation. Last week was when I finally figured out, gently caress it, belts are dumb and only good for posting belt mummy photos.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't want a blue belt until I can beat anyone with a white belt 99 times out of 100

Like, if I get my blue belt and a white belt could still tap me I would give the belt back

I know a couple D1 wrestlers that are going to beat you no matter what belt you have...It's a poo poo attitude to have.

Belts are not an indication of skill, physical ability, competition prowess etc. it's just a symbol of knowledge and time spent learning.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I tap brown belts and get tapped by white belts so I need a belt that's like that chameleon paint on sports cars that changes color based on your angle

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Decades posted:

I tap brown belts and get tapped by white belts so I need a belt that's like that chameleon paint on sports cars that changes color based on your angle

A white belt with a lot of question marks painted on.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, come on bro

At my gym if you ever mention promotions in the context of yourself you've just added six months to whatever date the instructor had in mind for you.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Belts are not an indication of skill, physical ability, competition prowess etc. it's just a symbol of knowledge and time spent learning.

Bingo.

There are some 20 somethings in the gym that regularly kick my rear end, but they love to work with me because of the knowledge that I have gained that I am more than happy to share.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

I know a couple D1 wrestlers that are going to beat you no matter what belt you have...It's a poo poo attitude to have.

Fair enough, it's just what I tell myself to stay focused on getting better.

Like, I dont want to be one of those guys who see belts as something you get as an investment of time that you are owed by hitting a set number of years or hours or whatever. By looking at it as a skill gap it just lets me focus on getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fair enough, it's just what I tell myself to stay focused on getting better.

Like, I dont want to be one of those guys who see belts as something you get as an investment of time that you are owed by hitting a set number of years or hours or whatever. By looking at it as a skill gap it just lets me focus on getting better.

Whatever motivates you but I think it's incorrect. If you're so worried about getting tapped by lower belts or losing rounds in the gym you're never going to put yourself into positions you're not comfortable in or try new things because you might get caught.

Competitions are where you test your skill level, the gym is where you learn and share knowledge.