Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bosnian, Serbian and Croatian? Yes. Macedonian? Not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think it's a typo, and it's supposed to be "Montenegrin" - Macedonian and Bulgarian are in another group. Though they're not quite as similar, and Macedonian borrowed a lot from Serbian.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Languages can diverge pretty quickly (while still remaining the same language by reasonable standards), I wouldn't be surprised if there were already some pretty significant differences between the Korean spoken in respectively North Korea and South Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're quite different. North Korean accents are distinct enough even I can hear it and my Korean is poo poo. North Korean also has no English loanwords (except some Russian loanwords that are themselves English loanwords), while sometimes it feels like half of South Korean vocabulary is English. Some of that goes back further though, Korean has a range of dialects and Pyongyang Korean is different than Seoul Korean, which is what's considered standard in the south.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A friend I talk to frequently is from Croatia, and she speaks in a deep Ikavian dialect, which is seen as hilarious hickspeak by most of Croatia, and more distant from standard Serbian which I speak than standard Croatian is. She has a huge beef with other Croats trying to force her to "fix" the way she speaks. It sort of reminds me of how a girl I used to date who speaks in a Torlakian dialect (spoken in Southeast Serbia, sort of transitional towards Macedonian) got "corrected" all the drat time while in Novi Sad. (e: She eventually conditioned herself to speak "standard" while in Novi Sad, to the point of having difficulty trying to go back to speaking Torlakian until she's been out of the city for a while)

my dad fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 27, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

my dad posted:

A friend I talk to frequently is from Croatia, and she speaks in a deep Ikavian dialect, which is seen as hilarious hickspeak by most of Croatia, and more distant from standard Serbian which I speak than standard Croatian is. She has a huge beef with other Croats trying to force her to "fix" the way she speaks. It sort of reminds me of how a girl I used to date who speaks in a Torlakian dialect (spoken in Southeast Serbia, sort of transitional towards Macedonian) got "corrected" all the drat time while in Novi Sad.

i have a southern accent that comes out when i'm drunk and i had a guy tell me in a bar once (in colorado) that i sounded like a racist and five minutes later was, no poo poo, still sounding off about bigotry and one of his points was that you can't judge people by the way they act and talk :confused:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

my dad posted:

A friend I talk to frequently is from Croatia, and she speaks in a deep Ikavian dialect, which is seen as hilarious hickspeak by most of Croatia, and more distant from standard Serbian which I speak than standard Croatian is. She has a huge beef with other Croats trying to force her to "fix" the way she speaks.

She sounds cool, I hope she continues beefing with them.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Why would you not have Romanian and Moldovan on this map

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
According to the mapmaker, the official stance of Moldova now is that their language is Romanian, so they didn't include it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Calling Moldovans Romanian in any way is, of course, incredibly controversial. Ah, Eastern European politics.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That's why I call Romanians Moldovans.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Golbez posted:

the official stance of Moldova now is that their language is Romanian

I bet that was done to offend someone else.Transnistria? Russia?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ynglish and Am-airik’n laiïk, ar diffeuren. Yo!

Is what I would say if english had the same standards as The Continent for what constitutes a language.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Comparing the broad understanding of Swedish and Norwegian as languages to "Chinese" or "Arabic" really illustrates the powerful influence of politics on sociolinguistics.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Time to post this again, I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Has this been posted yet? From the Ethiopian foreign ministry:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Do they really want to invade Somalia? idgi?
ed: also i see their one congo policy is STRONG.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SurgicalOntologist posted:

The Somalia thing I can understand why they'd do, but why unite the Congos?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Two of them was too confusing. One Congo or be Zaire, pick!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toplowtech posted:

Do they really want to invade Somalia? idgi?
ed: also i see their one congo policy is STRONG.

I guess they really want a coastline but invading Eritrea is :effort:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm Cote d' * ˥voire

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Bloodnose posted:

Comparing the broad understanding of Swedish and Norwegian as languages to "Chinese" or "Arabic" really illustrates the powerful influence of politics on sociolinguistics.

I mean both "Swedish" and "Norwegian" include dialects that are incomprehensible to speakers of the standard varieties. It's the exact same thing as "Arabic", on a smaller scale

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ynglish and Am-airik’n laiïk, ar diffeuren. Yo!

Is what I would say if english had the same standards as The Continent for what constitutes a language.

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

It'd be interesting to see the converse of this map: countries that nominally speak the 'same' language, but without actually being mutually comprehensible, e.g. Tunisian Arabic is not comprehensible to a Lebanese Arabic speaker (although like Swiss German to High German or Italian to Spanish or Haitian to French, it is quickly learned). That'd be politically loaded as hell too.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Pakled posted:

The Somalia thing I can understand why they'd do, but why unite the Congos?

They've also reunited Sudan.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ras Het posted:

I mean both "Swedish" and "Norwegian" include dialects that are incomprehensible to speakers of the standard varieties. It's the exact same thing as "Arabic", on a smaller scale

Yeah. As a native speaker of Norwegian, there are some dialects of Norwegian I find a good deal harder to follow than "standard" Swedish.

Also we have a long land border and there's a good amount of dialect continuity across that border. For instance someone from Dalarna in Sweden sounds a lot like someone from Trøndelag in Norway.

Spoken Danish is, well... kamelåså. But written Danish is basically the same as the bokmål form of Norwegian, with a little bit of old-fashioned misspelling and too many commas.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Doesn’t danish also do weird poo poo with numbers?

Like weird enough that “quatre-vingt-dix-neuf” sounds like Archimedes personally simplified it?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Doesn’t danish also do weird poo poo with numbers?

Like weird enough that “quatre-vingt-dix-neuf” sounds like Archimedes personally simplified it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4bmZ1gRqCc

e: forgot how to set the time, skip to 1:58

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well yes. 753 would be spoken as "syv hundrede, tre og halvtreds" for example. Literally seven hundreds, three, and half-threescore. Where half-threescore is not half of threescore but the number halfway between two score and three score, of course.

So it's not only a kind of mangled base 20 system but it's also middle-endian.

In writing, though, even the Danes are likely to just put down 753 and be done with it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How to say "70" in French:

How to say "80" in French:

How to say "80" in Italian:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Cat Mattress posted:

we had to say soixante-dix cuz the roman empire stole our word for septante! I chased that rascal Caesar across Europe to get it back

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

It'd be interesting to see the converse of this map: countries that nominally speak the 'same' language, but without actually being mutually comprehensible, e.g. Tunisian Arabic is not comprehensible to a Lebanese Arabic speaker (although like Swiss German to High German or Italian to Spanish or Haitian to French, it is quickly learned). That'd be politically loaded as hell too.
The only issue I could see with that is that it might be a sort of "ring language" kind of thing? Where Tunisian Arabic isn't mutually intelligible with Lebanese Arabic, but you can construct a chain of mutual intelligibility through the dialects between them?

e: Admittedly that approach might result in a unified Continental Germanic, and a Global Romance.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 28, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

The tre-vingt-dix people are truly depraved.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

I particularly appreciate Brittany in these maps. presumably they were too scared of breton nationalists to survey the francophone majority?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m Alsace, where no one speaks french

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd be interested in a map of twenty-five vs. five-and-twenty for English speakers when talking about the time.

I'd guess it's mostly around the English Midlands but it wouldn't surprise me to see it come up elsewhere like Utah.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I'd be interested in a map of twenty-five vs. five-and-twenty for English speakers when talking about the time.

I'd guess it's mostly around the English Midlands but it wouldn't surprise me to see it come up elsewhere like Utah.

huh, i live in the midlands and have never heard anyone say this in my life. maybe i need to hang out with more old people in tiny villages or something

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soricidus posted:

I particularly appreciate Brittany in these maps. presumably they were too scared of breton nationalists to survey the francophone majority?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't think it's a map about French speakers, but about romance languages (the various forms of languedoc and languedoil french), so celtic and germanic languages aren't included.

Everyone in France says "soixante-dix" etc

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

In the UK I've heard people say "half nine" when they mean half past nine. That's very confusing to me because "half nine" in Dutch means "half an hour before nine".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not really about french but about local regional variant like remois, ch'ti. Make sense not to ask local not french patois.