Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Was grinding out a weekly and managed to get three or four separate matches where I went in with free, absolute dreck (they seem to mostly give out stubby Romeros these days, a WinfieldC is a blessing) and single-handedly took out duos and stole their expensive stuff, two of which included their bounty.

Game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
While I have some obvious things I'd want to see changed in the game, it feels like it's in a pretty good state overall right now. Matchmaking on the West coast region has been pretty quick as of late, but that's probably from only having a single random queue that everyone is forced into now.

The big fear of mine is that this game won't really take off at launch.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://giant.gfycat.com/CarefreeDeadAplomadofalcon.webm

I hope they aren't idiots about not marketing it properly before they decide to push it out.
The game is unique and pretty incredible for what they've put together - but it definitely needs to be put out there and be seen.

Apex's approach with primarily pushing it through streamers for a few days before release worked really well - and I think for a title of this nature, similarly competitive online focused, it could work alike to raise some awareness and interest before they hopefully hit the ground running.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

It doesn't happen very often but my favourite thing in this game is when you or your teammate gets killed by a twitch streamer (so you can see their steam name, which is often "twitchname.ttv") and then manage to kill them so you can go look up their twitch page and watch yourself killing them from their perspective.

Sadly they almost always don't even react, just a passive face, they don't get mad, they don't say "ah gg he got me good" they just immediately move on to the next match in their late stage capitalism hell lives as a streamer.

I think the game in it's current state is incredible and near- perfect in regards to game play and combat. What needs a complete overhaul is how you level up. Xp for killing hunters is currently 100% based on Hunter tier rather than player skill or Hunter level, or bloodline, when it needs to be a combination of all of f the above. And better yet make it so you can only hire tier 1s and they automatically upgrade tiers as the hunter levels up.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 28, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

Apex's approach with primarily pushing it through streamers for a few days before release worked really well - and I think for a title of this nature, similarly competitive online focused, it could work alike to raise some awareness and interest before they hopefully hit the ground running.

When the game hit Early Access they did a streamer push and got quite a few others because it was kind of in this weird nexus of Tarkov becoming popular and survival shooters suddenly popping up for a bit there and it bolstered the playerbase pretty well but I think it's always gonna be one of those 1:10 games where for every long-term player the other nine are gonna play for a couple weeks and quit. Or worse ratios, same point really though. As long as it stays playable long enough for them to do some more neat stuff I'm ultimately happy, it's been a lot of fun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Basticle posted:

Sadly they almost always don't even react, just a passive face, they don't get mad, they don't say "ah gg he got me good" they just immediately move on to the next match in their late stage capitalism hell lives as a streamer.

The alternative is to be XQC, to be fair and i'd rather be a poor, unsuccessful gently caress than be anything close to that level of "gamer".

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

dogstile posted:

The alternative is to be XQC, to be fair and i'd rather be a poor, unsuccessful gently caress than be anything close to that level of "gamer".

should i be thankful i dont know who or what that is?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Basticle posted:

Why would you expect them to react, everyone knows twitch streamers don't have souls.[/quote]

Basticle posted:

I think the game in it's current state is incredible and near- perfect in regards to game play and combat. What needs a complete overhaul is how you level up. Xp for killing hunters is currently 100% based on Hunter tier rather than player skill or Hunter level, or bloodline, when it needs to be a combination of all of f the above. And better yet make it so you can only hire tier 1s and they automatically upgrade tiers as the hunter levels up.
Honestly I'd be happy with just some sort of calculation based on their equipment, because it's pretty dumb getting 100XP from a T1 with a C&K+Stocked Dolch combo.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mordja posted:

Honestly I'd be happy with just some sort of calculation based on their equipment, because it's pretty dumb getting 100XP from a T1 with a C&K+Stocked Dolch combo.

I find it odd that the tiers are implemented the way there are, especially considering there is already a visual 'upgrade' system in place - you can distinctly see that there's a few preset dudes that get cooler outfits as they progress.
It wouldn't be hard to base that on the hunter's level - and yeah, let you hire 'low tier' dudes that you then have to play with to upgrade.

Alternatively, yeah, divorce the experience for hunters entirely from tier, and base it on player level/ equipment 'score' in some fashion.

I can take a white shirt with an avtomat and a dolch and probably do better than a white shirt with a romero and a knife.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that at some point we are going to get A) cosmetic customization and - if it proves lucrative seeming B) microtransations for same. To be fair, I'm one of those idiots that would pay money to dress up my cowboy, so there's definitely a market there.
Hell, fancy skins for your favourite guns, too? Little trophies to play with and steal from other people. The latter could even be little bonuses for 'kills with X' in the style of other games? But I'm just spitballing long-term ideas for them. And hoping I can carry a gold plated Sparks around at some point.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Legendary Hunters/Weapons are on the roadmap for 1.0 and I assume those will be cosmetic variants.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mordja posted:

Legendary Hunters/Weapons are on the roadmap for 1.0 and I assume those will be cosmetic variants.

My favourite right now is preacher man, closely followed by 1900s Morpheus.
There's some really neat outfits they've already put together, and seeing more of those will be a treat.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

6.1 is out https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/1624023628473470795

thank you jebus the teammate outline is actually visible again

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Basticle posted:

It doesn't happen very often but my favourite thing in this game is when you or your teammate gets killed by a twitch streamer (so you can see their steam name, which is often "twitchname.ttv") and then manage to kill them so you can go look up their twitch page and watch yourself killing them from their perspective.

I've managed to kill failspawner twice and both times when I looked at his stream he just alt-f4d instantly and started playing a different game. still without any reaction in his face. it was both hilarious and sad.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I like it when enemy hunters are chatty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFRU8t2LN-o

I didn't record my own voice in this but it still works.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Basticle posted:

should i be thankful i dont know who or what that is?

Yes, you blessed soul

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

all 4 of us are so bad

https://streamable.com/8a2w1

https://streamable.com/kgmm1

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjsTQN9kNGA

Shotbolt bestbolt.

The hipfire is maybe overtuned... but it's a secret to the 3 people that actually use crossbows.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Basticle posted:

Can you see the names of the people you've killed?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Studio posted:

No

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Studio posted:

You can sometimes infer it if said person just recently grabbed a bounty.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://giant.gfycat.com/ComplexCreativeBengaltiger.webm

Not often I get to feel this tacticool.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Get a look at tweedledum and tweedledee over there

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mordja posted:

Get a look at tweedledum and tweedledee over there

They were adorable.

I also just thought of something: Use the monster noises - especially aggression/spotted player sounds - as a soundboard to blast at other hunters.
Play a 'raging Immolator' montage as you bust your way through a door - last thing they expect is for it to be a shotgun wielding lunatic!
Cover up for your lovely stealth with angry zombie callouts.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 3, 2019

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This fight was a real roller coast of emotions for me https://streamable.com/rwe1c

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Uhhhhhhh....haven't seen this before after grabbing the first clue:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Varkas posted:

Uhhhhhhh....haven't seen this before after grabbing the first clue:

If you're referring to the non-contiguous grayed out sections ever since January or whenever they randomized the map, its been possible to get that.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
:siren: Hunt showdown is free to try and 20% off until June 17th! :siren:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Trying to get into this game but running into the worst audio glitch. Sound is like its underwater, laggy and distorted. Tried googling up fixes and they all seem to involve deleting your user folder, verifying files, and running as admin - none of which changes a drat thing. Game's unplayable (sound cues matter) and it seems like I'm not an isolated bug.

Anyone else have any solutions? Happens with or without headphones on my laptop.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
sadly it's a known glitch. last patch was supposed to 'fix' several audio issues, but managed to generate several new ones so...
honestly, sound has been the single biggest issue in this game for a long time now. crows no one can hear. positional audio playing from the wrong sides. silent dynamite. when it's working it's great but often it just isnt.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I frequently get that "underwater" sound glitch but only when spectating, I didnt know it was a thing during normal gameplay what a heck

*edit* my EU friend downloaded this for the free weekend and protip: this game does not lend itself well to enduring transatlantic pings. If he hosted on a EU server then even though my ping was like 120, i'd never get a single hit and would die then hear the gunshot. Same thing in reverse if I hosted on a EUS server.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 16, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My favourite response to plugging the free weekend in Discord servers is:

"No crytek for me" (or some variant thereof)

One guess as to why!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

My favourite response to plugging the free weekend in Discord servers is:

"No crytek for me" (or some variant thereof)

One guess as to why!

wait, what?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

wait, what?

(Star Citizen)

And if that doesn't make sense there is a lovely thread... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I think the TLDR is that Star Citizen used to be using the Crytek engine (or some version of it) and thus anything the engine/company makes is now tainted by that association?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Varkas posted:

I think the TLDR is that Star Citizen used to be is using the Crytek engine (or some version of it) and thus anything the engine/company makes is now tainted by that association?

It's a long story but supposedly Cloud Imperium broke their contract with Crytek and are being sued for it and if Crytek wins they will no longer be allowed to use CryEngine. They claim to have switched to Lumberyard which is a version of CryEngine that was bought from Crytek by Amazon and modified. They also claim that it only took a few days to convert to Lumberyard but some of the code shown in their own videos since then seems to contradict their statement that it has been converted.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Man, I sure hope this free weekend helps player count, I got killed by the same guy three times today, twice this morning and a 3rd time early in the evening.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Regrettable posted:

It's a long story but supposedly Cloud Imperium broke their contract with Crytek and are being sued for it and if Crytek wins they will no longer be allowed to use CryEngine. They claim to have switched to Lumberyard which is a version of CryEngine that was bought from Crytek by Amazon and modified. They also claim that it only took a few days to convert to Lumberyard but some of the code shown in their own videos since then seems to contradict their statement that it has been converted.

It's this.

Star Citizen fanatics are convinced Crytek is Pure Evil, and must be boycotted/raided with torches and pitchforks.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQTsI3ewMUg

I am here for the pipe

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
Dev livestream this morning:

- Roadmap on site apparently accurate. Not everything there was covered in this livestream.
- Everything but prestige will be reset in 1.0. Better start using Avtomats and Nitros exclusively.
- New skins unlocked for weapons with real money currency or prestiging.
- New special hunters. Just a custom model or guns or something. I guess some people like this sort of thing.
- Oh did I mention there will be real money currency? You can earn with gameplay too but we all know how fast earning real-money currency is in games. It's not just for cosmetics. They say it is not gameplay affecting stuff but here is a list of gameplay affecting stuff:
  • Reroll hunter selection
  • Reroll hunter perks
  • Buy additional hunter slots
  • Clean weapons. May or may not effect gameplay depending on whether dirt obstructs sight picture like some guns currently do.
- Women will be added to the hunter pool. Mass gamer outrage already starting. "But it's not realistic to have the womms in my completely realistic game about hunting demon zombies! My immersion!"
- Unlocking guns will be a boring chore. You only unlock the base poo poo model and the rest require achievements. Have fun getting 5000 headshots with the hand crossbow before you can unlock the normal one. Achievement unlock progress is linear so the 'player choice' they talk about is really just 'choose to use the same weapon for weeks have fun :suicide:'.
- Scopes will only break when a hunter is downed. I'm.... not so sure about this mechanic but I guess it's nice to have unbroken scopes by default. Guns also get dirtier when downed. Neat I guess?

So far this is the first update that I'm not so excited about. I don't really care about the wipe but the new weapon unlock system looks like a huge loving chore. I could care less about skins and will never use them myself, but I know some people loving love that poo poo. I'm excited for female hunters if only to bask in the collective gamer butthurt about it. If they don't change the weapon unlock system I can see myself taking a long break from the game.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Played this game on the free weekend with my buddy. We died sometimes and killed people sometimes. My review is that it's a bad game, because it's boring and repetitive.

The boring: The fights with players are ok but that's all the game has going for it. The environment is ostensibly dangerous, but in practice anything that isn't a player isn't a threat unless it comes at you while you're busy with a player. And that's my experience just playing a free weekend. I can only imagine how trivial the monsters must feel to a veteran. As for PvP, it seems like 90% of player encounters involve ganking or being ganked during a boss fight/banishing. These vary between surprisingly intense and predictably lovely. But either way you spend 15 minutes finding a match, gathering clues, and killing pointless zombies for a PvP fight that lasts twenty seconds. It's like a reverse battle royale. Instead of poo poo hitting the fan on landing, with a lull if you come out on top, you do nothing interesting at the start and have to hope for good action later. The atmosphere is cool but not cool enough to warrant so much downtime for so little action. Side note: I don't even want to think about playing this game and having to matchmake for a partner.

The repetitive: don't know what else to say, it's the same poo poo every time. Navigate past some toothless monsters, kill one of the same three bosses, get involved in a gank. Do this over and over for eternity I guess. Oh look, that horse you thought was dead suddenly looked up at starting making noise. Wow haven't seen that ten times in just four matches. What a shock!!!

I understand this game has been playable in early access for two years or some poo poo? What have they been doing this whole time? Why are there only three bosses and why is everything other than a player or boss boring filler? I've heard that player pools outside free weekends are slim. If this is true then I don't see this game ever going anywhere unless they straight up make it free to play. Although how'd you monetize it in a way that would entice anyone to pay without straight up selling gameplay advantages I don't know. What I'm trying to say is press F to pay respects to this game.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 19, 2019