Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I can't think about that dude without remembering (paraphrasing) "IT WAS A VERY IMPORTANT AND SYMBOLIC BUTT."

I believe forums poster Symbolic Butt is still active to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This all makes sense so far.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That cube looks like the one on the title page of Give and Take. In the chapter itself, its place is taken by the Heart.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

This all makes sense so far.

I don't know, I think somebody is trying to pull a fast one.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

I don't know, I think somebody is trying to pull a fast one.

I think you have a trust issue. this seems pretty logical so far and if you can't trust an ancient bureaucratic institution then who can you trust? :shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That's the pesky thing about wisps...

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Splicer posted:

That's the pesky thing about wisps...

Idk, don't need to mix truth with lies when telling the flat truth will help you scam them.

I wonder if these are the ones who taught Diego this in the first place and are now trying to cover their tracks.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So do robots count as objects despite their sentience? Who gets authority over them?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

So do robots count as objects despite their sentience? Who gets authority over them?

Does the court own the forest visitors because they live in vat grown bodies? :tinfoil:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

There Bias Two posted:

They pretty much do. If Rey has an Owner because he took over Annie's plush despite being a living being, then Robots do as well, as they were empty husks of metal before being infused with a personality.

I think the issue is by awakening Arthur, Kat would erase his ownership status by removing the Object properties or have him become own owner, having two people with the same role.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

madjack posted:

I wonder if these are the ones who taught Diego this in the first place and are now trying to cover their tracks.

This is definitely a good time to ask why they didn't stop Diego when he made the arrow originally, instead of leaving no good deed unpunished a century later.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Samuringa posted:

They pretty much do. If Rey has an Owner because he took over Annie's plush despite being a living being, then Robots do as well, as they were empty husks of metal before being infused with a personality.

I think the issue is by awakening Arthur, Kat would erase his ownership status by removing the Object properties or have him become own owner, having two people with the same role.

Execpt they already said the issue was they were going to change ownership of Reynardine from Annie to Arthur. I expect the explanation here is gonna go more into how the arrow has screw things up in the past.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
So I've been pretty checked out from the comic for a while, but decided that I want to finish up my collection of the books since it seems like things are starting to wrap up. What's the deal with Volume 5? Did it just have a really limited run in hardcover and go completely out of print? I guess I'd rather have it in paperback than nothing, but it's weird that it's the only volume that doesn't seem to be available.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

This is definitely a good time to ask why they didn't stop Diego when he made the arrow originally, instead of leaving no good deed unpunished a century later.

My guess? He probably made the arrow in secret using knowledge he gained from other experiments. The arrow is also probably exceedingly inelegant by Etheric Bureaucracy standards. I'd guess Diego knew enough to accomplish his goal without regards to the fallout, which he didn't care about because he's madder than a dead goose on the lakeshore.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Warmachine posted:

My guess? He probably made the arrow in secret using knowledge he gained from other experiments. The arrow is also probably exceedingly inelegant by Etheric Bureaucracy standards. I'd guess Diego knew enough to accomplish his goal without regards to the fallout, which he didn't care about because he's madder than a dead goose on the lakeshore.

Its also possible that there's no rules about making something like that and by the time it was loving things up enough for people to notice Diego was long dead.

Remember our crew took care of the issue months ago and the only reason they got noticed was that Kat accidentally tried to make a kind of contract that can't be done.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

jesus kat is loving with the very concept of ownership :v

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KAT USE THE COMPUTER ON THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Synthbuttrange posted:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Aether enforces private property, it's always been a capitalist plot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

YaketySass posted:

The Aether enforces private property, it's always been a capitalist plot.

It's clearly personal property, not private property.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Bongo Bill posted:

It's clearly personal property, not private property.

There's nothing preventing the ownership system described from applying to capital and it also seems to enable basically slavery, so

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

I mean she already built a replicator

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kat will usher in fully automated luxury gay space communism.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

Isn't that exactly what she's doing?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That is great!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Kat: not a known giver of fucks.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I still think these jerks are trying to bum rush them into contractually agreeing to things they have no obligation to obey and I’m glad Kat has gotten distracted by the underlying nature of reality and is about to do some god stuff and shove all this aside.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Kat is into some kinky stuff.

Anyway, seems like the transfer could've worked without the arrow? :psyduck:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Anyway, seems like the transfer could've worked without the arrow? :psyduck:
That seems to be Kat's entire takeaway from this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

maswastaken posted:

That seems to be Kat's entire takeaway from this.
That is the look of someone realising a giant block of blackbox code can be replaced with "return (null)"

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Is Arthur the living mind in question? If robots are more than merely things, I can see why Kat would be excited.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Bell_ posted:

Is Arthur the living mind in question? If robots are more than merely things, I can see why Kat would be excited.

Nah, Robots are considered non living per the second panel. However, the implications seems to be you can pluck someone's mind, and stick it in another body, whether or not they want it, using the arrow's soulcatching technology.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

This is going to be the weirdest apotheosis ever.

:geno:: So, how'd you become a god?
:science:: Some bureaucrats showed up and tried to mess with a hobby of mine, then I just sorta overruled them

Also this whole ownership thing explains why the two psychopomps back in the hospital needed Surma's help with the kid who burned himself playing with matches.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hremsfeld posted:

This is going to be the weirdest apotheosis ever.

:geno:: So, how'd you become a god?
:science:: How did I which now?
Corrected for Kat.

I do like the idea of the rest of this chapter being them trying to take Kat to wizard jail and her completely failing to acknowledge this until they just go away.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Iceclaw posted:

Nah, Robots are considered non living per the second panel. However, the implications seems to be you can pluck someone's mind, and stick it in another body, whether or not they want it, using the arrow's soulcatching technology.

I'm predicting that eventually one Annie will be horribly injured, prompting Kat to transfer that Annie to the other body. This will ultimately enable her to have a child without dying because she has an "extra" soul.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

There Bias Two posted:

I'm predicting that eventually one Annie will be horribly injured, prompting Kat to transfer that Annie to the other body. This will ultimately enable her to have a child without dying because she has an "extra" soul.

Talk about a weird family dynamic.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Loup: Well I do love the fire headed child! And now she can have a child! Is that not proof of my love? Hahahahahah!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
So if the plea deal here is, "What if we just break the arrow, since we apparently don't need it," I wonder if the "new contract" is going to be for Arthur, or for the bond between Annie and Renard that seems like they may or may not be able to unwind from the arrow now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the Arbiter seems pretty adamant that the mere attempt at using the arrow makes Kat worthy of punishment.