Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

UV helped me get my 2 weeks that was in my contract when I was fired from The Langham for being too handsome by my racist boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Les Affaires posted:

Reality check time. How will Albo get past the fact that he recently split up with his partner? Who will he parade around during the election when trying to convince people of his family values?
An Au Pair and a suspiciously rotund staffer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/WYR_bot/status/1133165947525713921

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
can you really call that living?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

teacup posted:

I really think it needs to be a bit more macro viewed than this. The F35 is hilariously ridiculous in its process to getting here but essentially the very reason why we support it (close ties with the US) is the very reason we don’t need it (close ties with the US.

We have it so that tie remains strong, the annoying part is dumb forever wars by idiot US presidents but if we ever got into anything the US would be there in two seconds

Except for that time when we called on them to help us out in East Timor, and they sent one lovely boat.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

teacup posted:

but essentially the very reason why we support it (close ties with the US) is the very reason we don’t need it (close ties with the US.

I question this common wisdom. Who is threatening us to such an extent that we need an iron-clad alliance, bought with billions in defence spending and blood in the Middle East, with the US?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/28/anthony-albanese-to-travel-to-queensland-on-first-day-as-labor-leader

quote:

when asked if he supported the Adani coalmine – a key economic priority for people in central and northern Queensland that was seen as a crucial election issue – Albanese equivocated.

“We will go through, in terms of our processes, all of those issues,” he said. “But the truth is that the Adani coalmine has been approved at the federal level by the EPBC Act. It’s been approved not just once, it’s been approved twice. It is going through Queensland government approvals and then there is the other issue with regard to Adani, and indeed to the whole issue of the Galilee coal basin, the issue of the economics of it, the basic cost-benefit ratios.”

Marles, who in February welcomed the transition away from coal, said on Monday that he regretted the remarks.

“The comments I made earlier this year were tone deaf and I regret them and I was apologising for them within a couple of days of making them, and partly why they were tone deaf is because it failed to acknowledge the significance of every person’s job,” Marles said.

“Coal clearly is going to play a significant part of the future energy mix in Australia, and it’s clearly going to be a significant part of our economy and it’s really important that we acknowledge that people who work in the coal industry need to be valued by us and that we thank and celebrate their work.”

In February, when asked about the coal industry, Marles told Sky: “The global market for thermal coal has collapsed, and at one level that’s a good thing because what that implies is the world is acting in relation to climate change.”

Marles came under fire for the remarks, with state Labor MPs Julieanne Gilbert and Barry O’Rourke saying his views were “radically out-of-touch” with workers in the state.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

How many industries do we “celebrate”? This poo poo is a cult

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm not quite judging albo yet because he has a lot of disenfranchised working folk to win back from our pauline

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Thank you Julossss

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

Anthony Albanese is in Cairns at the moment drinking beer with locals at 8:50AM.

I poo poo you not the press pack is with him on Sky and he is drinking beer at 8:50AM with locals who seem to do this NORMALLY

Neat.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

nankeen posted:

i'm not quite judging albo yet because he has a lot of disenfranchised working folk to win back from our pauline

Seriously, labor needs to work hard to pull back the working class and stop trying to shave off votes from the Sydney north shore. If it means kicking the climate can down the road then bitch goddamn thats what you gonna do

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Meanwhile in one of my uni classes we’ve been examining the results of the last IPCC full report.
Conclusion: planet is hosed. May as well get black lung while we wait for death.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Slugnoid posted:

Seriously, labor needs to work hard to pull back the working class and stop trying to shave off votes from the Sydney north shore. If it means kicking the climate can down the road then bitch goddamn thats what you gonna do

2050, Labor finally wins a majority in both houses, just in time to manage the devastation of the east coast due to floods, cyclones and tsunamis, and get voted out 3 years later because Tony Abbott's daughter and the Murdoch media found a way to blame Labor for it.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."
Looks like Labor’s hit the front in Macquarie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait they're still counting votes?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Synthbuttrange posted:

and they are still figuring out what to do with all the ineligible candidates

hidys
May 6, 2015

bowmore posted:

and they are still figuring out what to do with all the ineligible candidates

I’m pretty sure the intelligible candidates will be counted as normal.

But there are definitely going to be some s44 challenges at the court of disputed returns.

How Good Is Queensland!

https://twitter.com/gmegalogenis/status/1133219371675865088?s=21

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Synthbuttrange posted:

They've only declared two seats.....

Also Macquarie is now only ~50 vote margin

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

hidys posted:

But there are definitely going to be some s44 challenges at the court of disputed returns.

Given the court of disputed returns can refer people without parliament agreeing does this mean that we might get a Dutton referral by a concerned citizen?

hidys
May 6, 2015

norp posted:

Given the court of disputed returns can refer people without parliament agreeing does this mean that we might get a Dutton referral by a concerned citizen?

My understanding is that is a distinct possibility.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Did anyone else notice how Albanese is regularly name dropping Billy Bragg.

I mean, the guy is famous for singing covers of The Internationale.

When will Alice pick this up?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's memorial day in the US.

this means its time for an old dude in melbourne on sit on a bench with a scarf embroided with way too much details about gallipoli and lecture passers by.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

hidys posted:

Looks like Labor’s hit the front in Macquarie.

Hope is a lie.

(Susan Templeman is a drat good local member and I'll be bitterly pissed off if she loses)

hidys
May 6, 2015

Anidav posted:

Did anyone else notice how Albanese is regularly name dropping Billy Bragg.

I mean, the guy is famous for singing covers of The Internationale.

He also has a song called Waiting for the Great Leap Forward.

Workman is gonna eat this poo poo up.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bragg's probably most famous for "power in the union", it's a great song too

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

hidys posted:

He also has a song called Waiting for the Great Leap Forward.

Workman is gonna eat this poo poo up.

Albanese huffs communist fumes while listening to communist tunes.

BY Alice Workman

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

They are going to convince a shook labor that even vaguely hinting at some sort of regulatory oversight of coal mining is offensive and out of touch on the grounds of threatening people's jobs and is the reason labor lost and deserves to keep losing. Also that potential Adani employee is such a massive voting bloc that it must be catered to and coddled at all costs.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The ABC reports that Chisholm Candidate Gladys Liu posted a how to vote card on Wechat that said explicitly in Mandarin that NOT putting 1 for Liberal will be counted as an informal vote by the AEC.

I wonder if Labor can cause a Byelection.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-28/labor-legal-challenge-campaign-materials-seat-chisholm-melbourne/11153430

quote:

Labor is set to challenge the Liberal Party's likely victory in the marginal Melbourne electorate of Chisholm, after allegations of dirty tactics and misleading campaign material in the crucial multicultural seat.

The ABC understands Labor's legal challenge to the Court of Disputed Returns will focus on how-to-vote information posted on her account on Chinese social media platform WeChat, telling locals to vote "1" for Ms Liu.
The message told voters to "copy exactly as it is to avoid an informal vote", suggesting any other preferencing would result in an invalid ballot.

Any challenge would also include a reference to Liberal posters, in Mandarin, posted at polling stations telling voters the "correct" way to vote was to preference the Liberal candidate first.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Anidav posted:

The ABC reports that Chisholm Candidate Gladys Liu posted a how to vote card on Wechat that said explicitly in Mandarin that NOT putting 1 for Liberal will be counted as an informal vote by the AEC.

I wonder if Labor can cause a Byelection.

This is against the law... Right? Right??

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

She has to claim it in single combat from Caleb Bond and Daisey Cousens .

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Moon Atari posted:

They are going to convince a shook labor that even vaguely hinting at some sort of regulatory oversight of coal mining is offensive and out of touch on the grounds of threatening people's jobs and is the reason labor lost and deserves to keep losing. Also that potential Adani employee is such a massive voting bloc that it must be catered to and coddled at all costs.

Then when the automated mine is pumping / thermal coal price collapses the Queenslanders will blame foreigners and vote PHON again.
Then Albo will have brekky beers in Cairns.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

froglet posted:

So far the AEC is saying no rules were broken Lmao.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

People should go to jail over this poo poo. It's completely hosed and sets a terrifying precedent if ignored.

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
From everything I've seen so far if it has an authorisation it's fine and if it doesn't they'll just get a warning to get one

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

froglet posted:

Possibly, but it may not matter. Like you see in US politics, even if something is against the law, enforcement of the law depends on norms that the right can break with zero consequence. Start with small or questionable cases of cheating and progress to more serious democracy destroying breaches as the corruption becomes more normalised.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm sure the party that won votes off shady stuff like that will be in a real hurry to update the rules.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Not implying that Labor would fix it if they won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Is there trouble in paradise for Albo and Billy Bragg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWPZeQzN_Ws