Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's one of the tactics that producers use to "brute-force" hits. Starpower is just another part of marketing, if you have enough of it, you can theoretically assure a big blockbuster payout regardless of whatever quality the actual movie has. It means freedom to yank around the creative staff as much as you want without fear. It means you can boost the stupidest, most easily merchandisable concept you've got.

What bugs me is mostly that VA work involves fairly separate skills from on-camera work, and sometimes the big-name actors (especially the ones whose main draw is their handsome face) just can't perform worth a drat on voiceover. Wouldn't surprise me if they were also harder to direct.

It probably also sucks for people who make a living voice acting to have the biggest paying, highest level of success for their industry to be mostly out of reach, but I don't really know much about the internals of the industry to say for sure.

asecondduck posted:

The only recent Disney princess to be voiced by a professional voice actor is Kida (Cree Summer).

Not sure if it really counts, since her movie was really focused on Michael J. Fox, and I don't think her character has really been picked up by the official Disney Princess franchise.

I feel like Disney's a little ashamed of most of their later 2D movies, especially the ones that had the audacity to embrace aesthetics and complexities outside of Disney's standard wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like Disney's a little ashamed of most of their later 2D movies, especially the ones that had the audacity to embrace aesthetics and complexities outside of Disney's standard wheelhouse.

Is that Atlantis and Emperor's New Groove or am I guessing wrong?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TV Zombie posted:

Basically everything they made after Mulan except Lilo & Stitch didn't do all that well(well Tarzan also, but the rights for it are murky, hence why they've done pretty much nothing merchandising wise with it since around 2004 or so)

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

TV Zombie posted:

Probably Home on the Range.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Live action to voice acting can be fuzzy lines given we have a few examples of people who do quite well with both, Robin Williams comes to mind. And Mark Hamill famously did well in voice acting after it became pretty much impossible for him to get live action work. Hell, the last Eddie Murphy movie anyone remembers that wasn't total garbage is probably Shrek. And of course, with CGI characters like in superhero movies the lines get even more blurred.

Celebrity voice actors can often work well in big animated movies when the animators make full use of them; you frequently get characters have appearances and/or mannerisms based on their VAs, especially when you start getting into motion capture.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There are only like 2 celebrities in Spider-Verse - Steinfeld and Shriever.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Nick Cage, Jake Johnson, Ali, John Mulaney? Everyone in the movie is known primarily for being a non-animated actor.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

There are only like 2 celebrities in Spider-Verse - Steinfeld and Shriever.

Mahershala Ali and Chris Pine.

[Edit: oh yeah, and Nic Cage of course]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
edit: double post. Y'all are right tho.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 25, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nic Cage has done voice acting a couple times before though, admittedly in similar celebrity stunt cast roles but still, it's experience.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Mark Hamill famously did well in voice acting after it became pretty much impossible for him to get live action work.

Not to deviate from the current discussion, but why was this the case? How was someone who became one of the most iconic characters in cinema not be able to have a more successful acting resume?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Iirc, his face got all hosed up in an accident.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Not to deviate from the current discussion, but why was this the case? How was someone who became one of the most iconic characters in cinema not be able to have a more successful acting resume?

His face got messed up during the production of Empire Strikes Back, and it got worse looking with time

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drat. Poor guy :(

Sad, but makes sense. Was wondering that for the longest time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mr Interweb posted:

Couple reasons. Hamil didn't want to get typecast, and as such spent a lot of time on Broadway or in other genres of film (Including war movie The Big Red One). But he still ran into the problem where executives could only see him as Luke Skywalker, which made it hard for him to get certain kinds of roles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've never really noticed Mark Hamill's scar, even though I've heard multiple times about how the wampa attack was supposed to explain it. I guess I'm just not good with faces.

From what I've heard, none of the cast from Star Wars really had that big of a career after the movies, aside from Harrison Ford, who was already a big star. Hollywood's a very arbitrary place.

TV Zombie posted:

Pretty much everything between Mulan and Frog Princess is territory that they seem uncomfortable about. The movies in that period ventured pretty far outside of the house style Disney maintains and touched subject matter outside of Disney's normal territory. There were some critical and financial failures, but there were also successes. Lilo and Stitch was probably the most real movie that Disney's ever done.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Is there a single major animator that didn't work on Flapjack? I checked it out recently and just... drat. Penn Ward, Alex Hirsh, J.G. Quintel, Patrick McHale... It's like every halfway decent cartoon from the states has roots in this thing. You can tell too because certain scenes just scream "Alex Hirsch wrote this joke" or "Pen Ward drew the storyboard for this.".

Also watch Flapjack it's pretty good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Typecasting is definitely an issue, that and Carrie Fisher apparently had drug and weight problems after/during the movies. (of course that might be a chicken/egg problem, and obviously ten times worse for female stars) I recall hearing about Mark Hamill in Wing Commander's FMV where he basically literally recreated the finale of ANH. And there was a joke in The Simpsons about how he couldn't even get a role in Guys and Dolls dinner theatre without being Luke Skywalker.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Is there a single major animator that didn't work on Flapjack? I checked it out recently and just... drat. Penn Ward, Alex Hirsh, J.G. Quintel, Patrick McHale... It's like every halfway decent cartoon from the states has roots in this thing. You can tell too because certain scenes just scream "Alex Hirsch wrote this joke" or "Pen Ward drew the storyboard for this.".

Similarly back in the 80s most of the people who would go on to revolutionize animation in the 90s got their start on one or both of two shows; Ralph Bakshi's version of Mighty Mouse and He-Man & The Masters of The Universe, and it happened again during the 90s with a lot of major figures of the first decade of the 2000's getting their start on shows like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, and perhaps most importantly Rocko's Modern Life

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In animation, there always seems to be one show going on that's a big incubator for the next wave of talented leads.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's partially that, and also partially that a new wave of artists coming out of college all compete to get into the industry at the same time

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

In animation, there always seems to be one show going on that's a big incubator for the next wave of talented leads.

Steven Universe seems to be one recently that's had a ton of people spring off into other projects.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cartoon Network had a good chain reaction going for a while of shows spawning a lot of talent who spawned shows that spawned a lot of talent. Time will tell if OKKO or Craig of the Creek keep the chain going.

It's kinda neat being able to trace a lineage through shows. The downside is that as people leave to make their own shows, the shows they leave may suffer a bit.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
You know it's really interesting how Fish Hooks was a bit of a wet fart when a good chunk of the crew were either people who were:
A) pretty prominent in the industry: Maxwell Atoms (the Billy & Mandy guy) was one of the producers, Tom Warburton (the Kids Next Door guy) was creative director, Sherm Cohen (storyboard supervisor on Classic Spongebob, one of the directors on post-2nd movie spongebob) was storyboard supervisor, and the show's directors included CH Greenblatt (the Chowder guy) and William Reiss (Chowder's creative director); Reiss also co-developed the show. Plus a good chunk of the show's boarders were former Chowder people (with some Flapjack people mixed in).
B) people who would become prominent names later: a post-Flapjack/pre-Gravity Falls Alex Hirsch co-developed the show with Reiss and boarded some episodes, Justin Roiland was one of the outline writers, boarders on the show included Joe Johnston (who would later be a prominent boarder and later director on SU), Niki Yang (who would later be a boarder on Gravity Falls and a director on Clarence, though most people know her for her voice acting roles), Derek Evanick & Diana Lafyatis (who would later be directors on Harvey Beaks), and Tyler Chen (who would later become a director on Star vs and is Creative Director on Owl House)

SlothfulCobra posted:

Time will tell if OKKO or Craig of the Creek keep the chain going.

Well OK KO's already spawned Mao Mao so there's that.

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 26, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Steven Universe seems to be one recently that's had a ton of people spring off into other projects.

Adventure Time before it seemed to have some trouble with crew leaving to start their own shows.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

readingatwork posted:

In every generation, there always seems to be a handful of animators/studios that have their hands in everything. I went back to watch some 90s anime some time last year like (DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, Rurouni Kenshin etc.) and was somewhat shocked to learn how much overlap they all had. I mean, don't get me wrong, I noticed similarities between the series even back in the day, but I never knew just HOW MUCH animation crossover there apparently was. Rurouni Kenshin in particular was one that I seemed to recall having its own specific, dedicated animation style, but watching it again, NOPE! There's a ton of episodes that were clearly made by other studios.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/ArtofLostandCan/status/1133009611601174529
Feels like Nickelodeon's had a whole bunch of shorts and pilots recently but I haven't heard of any of them getting greenlit for full series. Then again maybe we only get to see the pilots posted online because they didn't make it? The stuff that's actually in development would be under NDAs I imagine.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For the longest time it's felt like Nick wants to back out of animation, but they can never find the right excuse.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bah gawd, that's Undertale's music!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

Bah gawd, that's Undertale's music!

It’s probably just placeholder music but yeah I had the same reaction.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Yeah part of the reason why the Gravity Falls pilot was never released in an official capacity (rather it was given an informal release) was because it also used copyrighted placeholder music

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

For the longest time it's felt like Nick wants to back out of animation, but they can never find the right excuse.

I'm genuinely surprised to hear they're even trying to make cartoons. I thought they were all-in on the lovely sitcoms nowadays.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Adventure times pilot was originally pitched at Nickelodeon right?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

it was as part of the Oh Yeah! Cartoons program from frederator

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

You know it's really interesting how Fish Hooks was a bit of a wet fart when a good chunk of the crew were either people who were:
A) pretty prominent in the industry: Maxwell Atoms (the Billy & Mandy guy) was one of the producers, Tom Warburton (the Kids Next Door guy) was creative director, Sherm Cohen (storyboard supervisor on Classic Spongebob, one of the directors on post-2nd movie spongebob) was storyboard supervisor, and the show's directors included CH Greenblatt (the Chowder guy) and William Reiss (Chowder's creative director); Reiss also co-developed the show. Plus a good chunk of the show's boarders were former Chowder people (with some Flapjack people mixed in).
B) people who would become prominent names later: a post-Flapjack/pre-Gravity Falls Alex Hirsch co-developed the show with Reiss and boarded some episodes, Justin Roiland was one of the outline writers, boarders on the show included Joe Johnston (who would later be a prominent boarder and later director on SU), Niki Yang (who would later be a boarder on Gravity Falls and a director on Clarence, though most people know her for her voice acting roles), Derek Evanick & Diana Lafyatis (who would later be directors on Harvey Beaks), and Tyler Chen (who would later become a director on Star vs and is Creative Director on Owl House)

Maxwell Atoms seems to honestly be kind of cursed. Has he had any major success with anything outside Billy and Mandy?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Maxwell Atoms seems to honestly be kind of cursed. Has he had any major success with anything outside Billy and Mandy?

I know he got that post apocalyptic puppet show kickstarted a few years back but I haven’t heard anything about it since.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I'm genuinely surprised to hear they're even trying to make cartoons. I thought they were all-in on the lovely sitcoms nowadays.

Since the late 90s? But I think they realised the sitcoms have no legacy and don't sell merchandise.

Also they might have been honeypots for children to molest.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ContextMovies/status/1132690567685640193

:stare:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I don't even care for TTG that much but the movie was legit amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It feels like Nick is only capable of properly handling TMNT and keeping Spongebob alive. Anything else they own is badly to horribly managed.