Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

I'll say it again:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/105581-verdant-citadel/
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/105942-hell-forged-09b-alpha-test-help-needed/

Just as visually impressive, but a lot more enjoyable. Less taxing on your hardware too.

Cheers thanks! My PC is fairly old but never had trouble with a doom map, but the last part of Hurt had some fps dips (nothing big but still there). Gonna check these out.

Edit: I get that Verdant Citadel is a single map (like Hurt) and Hell Forged is a full chapter with gameplay changes that it's meant to be used alone, right?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

E: BF5 only uses it for reflections...

Yes that’s my point

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Is Eviternity super loving dark or are my GZdoom settings hosed up? I can barely see anything in half the map in E1M1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fallom posted:

Yes that’s my point

Metro exists though

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Metro exists though

It only does raytracing for the sun and sky as light sources

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fallom posted:

It only does raytracing for the sun and sky as light sources

Right, and the results are pretty impressive. That's a smart hybrid IMO, getting a lot of the benefit without the full cost.

If they can get reflections and global illumination both working from ray tracing in the same game, then they'll have all the advantages as though it was 100% ray traced, but with still some of the performance advantages of raster.

We're never going to give up enough performance to fully ray-trace scenes in real-time, when we could have more detail if it was raster. This is the only way I see ray-tracing actually hitting the consumer market. And the results do look incredible.

After reflections and scene lighting, there's not really much that ray-tracing does better. Transparency? We've kinda figured out enough workarounds.

E: Even the reflections are pretty minor, which is why I've always said that ray-tracing in real-time games was overrated as a concept. But the proof is in the pudding, using ray-tracing for global illumination is legit pretty drat cool.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 27, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

Cheers thanks! My PC is fairly old but never had trouble with a doom map, but the last part of Hurt had some fps dips (nothing big but still there). Gonna check these out.

Edit: I get that Verdant Citadel is a single map (like Hurt) and Hell Forged is a full chapter with gameplay changes that it's meant to be used alone, right?

Yeah; Hell-Forged is nearly a TC and it's been balanced around its custom weapons and items.

DatonKallandor posted:

Is Eviternity super loving dark or are my GZdoom settings hosed up? I can barely see anything in half the map in E1M1.

Probably. It's best if you approximate software rendering by using the "software" or "vanilla" for sector lighting mode.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

The United States posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/ancestor-bundle

$1.99 for System Shock 1, System Shock 2, Strife

oh and some other crap

This is awesome, thanks. I never played through System Shock 1 before

Here's a system shock 2 steam key, first come first serve
PXWAV-PD2MX-58CGZ

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The United States posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/ancestor-bundle

$1.99 for System Shock 1, System Shock 2, Strife

oh and some other crap

I have no mouth and I must scream is a fantastical game. I will not accept this kind of slander. :colbert:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Metal Fatigue also loving owns

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shadow Man is a fantastic third persohaha nah

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Every single game in that bundle kicks rear end and I would buy it if I didn't already own all of them. Spirits of Xanadu is the only one that's recent and it's a great single-sitting system shock 2 like game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

after beating the finale of episode 2 of eviternity i'm already ready to call this one of the best map wads i've ever played unless the following 3 episodes somehow gently caress that up

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Shadow Man is a fantastic third persohaha nah

Shadow Man is pretty good. Sorry about the stroke.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I just finished System Shock: Enhanced Edition, what an awesome loving game. So many things I didn't know were possible in 1994. With the updated controls it plays really smoothly too, it's aged pretty incredibly well. My only beef is with the excess of hitscanners. I think I like this more than HeXen, and I loving love me some HeXen.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Shadow Man is supremely excellent. It has incredible sooper spooky enemy/environment/sound design but boy is the PC version all hosed to hell. Anyone who can play it without constant crashing owes it to themselves to give it a try. It's also built like a N64 style platforming-collectathon-metroidvania. It's banjo kazooie with a millipede infested skull for a face.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Joestar posted:

after beating the finale of episode 2 of eviternity i'm already ready to call this one of the best map wads i've ever played unless the following 3 episodes somehow gently caress that up

also want to add to this that at the final battle of episode 2 they really got me with those cyber hell knights, because i've played enough mods to notice them from a distance and went 'oh what the gently caress'. i used the hyper laser from the ancient aliens final doomer weaponset to just rip through the giant crowd of monsters at the end because i'd saved up ammo, but still, it got me good.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shadow Man was passable at release but has dated terribly. Mostly because of the controls.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I do agree with this. The original video they showed a while back looked better. It kills some of the mood of the levels. Like,
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-on-vs-off.html
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-on-vs-off.html

The brightness and difference from those pictures is likely to do with the time of day options it has, which by its own words "radically change the appearance of some levels". It's right there in the article: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-june-6-release-date/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my last couple posts have been about eviternity already but they threw in a genuinely linear map and i actually liked it. what the gently caress.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

my last couple posts have been about eviternity already but they threw in a genuinely linear map and i actually liked it. what the gently caress.

Which one?

Origami Dali posted:

I'd play Sigil over Hurt any old day. Sick of slaughtermap crap, no matter how pretty it is.

That's a fine stance to have. But I don't know if I would call Hurt a slaughter map. It's more 25-30% slaughter map, 70-75% normal combat map.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 28, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

map 12, named 'brisk', the second level in episode 3. it's just a straight up gauntlet as it guides you through a series of little arenas and had a fun blend of enemies.

that final encounter was a real motherfucker, though. the addition of the souped-up and weird cacodemons mixed with robo-knights really starts cranking poo poo up to put on the pressure.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah, you can't really call Hurt a slaughtermap and have the word continue to mean what it means in 2019.

I didn't care for the last fight either, it was more tedious than anything else, but it doesn't make the map a slaughtermap anymore than the exit room makes Tricks and Traps a platforming map.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Johnny Joestar posted:

eviternity is 100% amazing, although if you play it in one / two sittings some maps become slogs. I'd rate Eviternity as one of my favourite large mapsets, along with going down and sunlust.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1133196295789793281

:captainpop:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:thatsrad:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Hot drat!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'd freak out too if I was told that one of Butch Cassidy's acolyte was one of my fans, especially since the Mormon Kid died in 1938, so it's very spooky.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Rocket Pan posted:

The brightness and difference from those pictures is likely to do with the time of day options it has, which by its own words "radically change the appearance of some levels". It's right there in the article: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-june-6-release-date/

lol the second link is indoors with no windows.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It looks so bad, holy poo poo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

It looks so bad, holy poo poo.
It sort of reminds me of what videogames look like on low-budget TV shows or movies when they can't show a real game for whatever reason. All they need to do is change all the sounds to Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 and it's all good.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There's zero chance of any 90s-era game looking good fully ray-traced without actual artists re-art-directing the entire game from the ground up. If they wanted anyone to care about this beyond being a cool tech demo, they should have worked with some modders to make some new RTX-specific content to actually show what's possible.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I kinda like the fancy new effects and everything but honestly, Quake 2 wasn't supposed to look like a beautiful Sunday morning with that blue sky and such tranquil sunlight spots coming through the windows and vents.

Also that sewer water is too loving clean what the gently caress. Stroggs are very formidable hygiene technicians, apparently.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wow, a raytracing tech demo is not equivalent to a full fledged game. I'm flabbergasted.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A photorealistic sewer level is not something anyone wants anywhere ever

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

haveblue posted:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I want to see someone do Quake 1 RTX. My understanding is that one issue with Quake 2 is that they don’t know where the original light sources were in the map so they have to construct new ones based on the sky, lamps, textures that seem like they should emit light, etc. However, as far as I know Romero released the “source code” (whatever you call it) for the Quake 1 levels so we do know that for Q1... Quake 1 already has a history of wildly different presentations anyway (translucent water hacked in later, missing overbrights in the original GLQuake, colored lighting on the N64...).

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

haveblue posted:

REmake 2 had the first sewer where I felt like "Yeah this is a poop river." That's sort of a compliment in my mind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In my random-dude's-opinion the new raytracing effects are totally mindblowing and look really great when they're put to their maximum effect with the technology that's now available to us... but not in Quake 2. Quake 2 was a really bad choice because it just looks bad with shiny raytraced surfaces. It was a lost cause because I really feel that the game itself just does not look good in this style. It's a great demonstration of the kinds of effects raytracing is capable of producing, but a really bad demonstration of how they might be put in practice to enhance a game's visuals in a way that feels natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What we really need is raytraced Doom.