Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ferremit posted:

Thats why you go and camp literally 100km away from any other fucker on earth with your friends who know how to camp.

Counterpoint:
It's really fun to float downriver past all the other campsites at night in a canoe adorned with thousands of glowsticks while blaring techno music and shooting lasers everywhere.

Except for the bugs. Every drat bug on that river will find you because you're riding a giant insect lure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If you smoke cigars the bugs will leave you alone.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

This.

Chrome bill before the phone bill.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I have kids and age 5-12 cigars are never in stock so I go with antisocial amounts of garlic

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ferremit posted:

Thats why you go and camp literally 100km away from any other fucker on earth with your friends who know how to camp.

Simpson Desert? Or some other one? Regardless, gorgeous as hell.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Antisocial amounts of garlic

A truly noble goal

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Fermented Tinal posted:

I like where this is going but I think the floating rave could use substantially more smoke to really set it off. Though actual smoke might not really work unless the wind is correct. Maybe handfuls of dry ice pellets thrown ahead of the canoe?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Galler posted:

I like where this is going but I think the floating rave could use substantially more smoke to really set it off. Though actual smoke might not really work unless the wind is correct. Maybe handfuls of dry ice pellets thrown ahead of the canoe?

or fireworks

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bolind posted:

Making a department vacation tracking sheet in Excel and can I just publicly declare my total and utter hatred for this piece of software. What the gently caress.

Why Excel? That's a job for either sharepoint or outlook calendars, or at least get a template rather than scratch build.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Siochain posted:

Simpson Desert? Or some other one? Regardless, gorgeous as hell.

WAA line in the Simpson. What’s mind blowing is the sheer number of animal footprints in the dune I’m standing on in the foreground!

I love that part of the world. Don’t get out there anywhere near as often enough

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Galler posted:

Have a fire barge tied to the back of the canoe

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So today i did the first oil change on our new (to us) LS460. After pulling out the drain pan from under the car, in the sunlight I saw sparkling in it and what looks like metal particles.

How hosed am I? What are rod bearings made of because a magnet wouldn't pick it up.....The cartridge filter didn't seem to have anything like that in it either which was strange if it were in the oil pan. I kept some of the oil and the filter as well should i get it tested?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Looks like copper from the bearings. Definitely get it tested.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

For reference, the car is a 2011 and has only 30k miles on it. Should I use Blackstone or is there anyone else that's better/cheaper

How the gently caress does this happen on a newer car like this? Maybe the PO didn't break it in right or something?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 27, 2019

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Wow that's surprising since copper is the second layer after lead in the bearings. With that much copper it should be making some noise, it's not knocking or ticking? With that low mileage maybe it's something left over from break-in? I don't think it would be but that's a lot of metal. I only know of Blackstone but maybe someone else can recommend another one.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

For reference, the car is a 2011 and has only 30k miles on it. Should I use Blackstone or is there anyone else that's better/cheaper

How the gently caress does this happen on a newer car like this? Maybe the PO didn't break it in right or something?

Maybe the odometer has been rolled back or the oil was changed for the first time in 30k.

I would drop the oil pan if its possible and check the pickup screen. If its not knocking and has oil pressure maybe you can salvage it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

shy boy from chess club posted:

Wow that's surprising since copper is the second layer after lead in the bearings. With that much copper it should be making some noise, it's not knocking or ticking?

It ticks/knocks at idle sometimes (not all the time), but when i looked into it, these cars have a common piston slap issue so I assumed that's what it was.

If it was a rod knock it would be constant wouldn't it? Also wouldn't there be particles in the filter too?

rdb posted:

Maybe the odometer has been rolled back or the oil was changed for the first time in 30k.

I would drop the oil pan if its possible and check the pickup screen. If its not knocking and has oil pressure maybe you can salvage it.

The car was (and still is) like brand new when we got it, totally immaculate and still had the new car smell. That's why this is confusing to me.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 27, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That oil looks chocolate-milky to me... Did another fluid get in there?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It ticks/knocks at idle sometimes (not all the time), but when i looked into it, these cars have a common piston slap issue so I assumed that's what it was.

If it was a rod knock it would be constant wouldn't it? Also wouldn't there be particles in the filter too?

The car was (and still is) like brand new when we got it, totally immaculate and still had the new car smell. That's why this is confusing to me.

Yea there should be particles in the filter too. If it's rod knock it should show up around 2-3k rpms and get louder when you let off the throttle. Warm it up all the way and see if it sounds bad around those rpms. I'm gonna assume it's dbw so it might be hard to hear if you aren't under the hood unless it's really bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

That oil looks chocolate-milky to me... Did another fluid get in there?

Not today, but I use that pan for all types of fluids

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea there should be particles in the filter too. If it's rod knock it should show up around 2-3k rpms and get louder when you let off the throttle. Warm it up all the way and see if it sounds bad around those rpms. I'm gonna assume it's dbw so it might be hard to hear if you aren't under the hood unless it's really bad.

Definitely not rod knock then. Only happens at idle, once you get on the gas it completely disappears. Pretty classic piston slap with these cars and it doesn't hurt anything, just a bit annoying sometimes.

Only reasonable thing i can think of because of the low mileage is that it's left over from break in.....Maybe possibly from the threads from the drain plug?

Otherwise there should be poo poo in the filter.....Idk, guess I'm just gonna have to bite my nails until I get the oil tested, and that won't be for a few weeks yay.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 28, 2019

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
My 2006 Impala's 4T60 has started slipping at 244,000 km. After I bought it at 241,000 km three months ago.

It's mechanical problems day in AI, apparently.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Not today, but I use that pan for all types of fluids

Definitely not rod knock then. Only happens at idle, once you get on the gas it completely disappears. Pretty classic piston slap with these cars and it doesn't hurt anything, just a bit annoying sometimes.

Only reasonable thing i can think of because of the low mileage is that it's left over from break in.....Maybe possibly from the threads from the drain plug?

Otherwise there should be poo poo in the filter.....Idk, guess I'm just gonna have to bite my nails until I get the oil tested, and that won't be for a few weeks yay.

I would be at Lexus in the morning and try to find a mechanic to ask or the service manager this could be normal don’t freak yet. I worked at a Lexus dealer a million years ago and they should have good people there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Unless you caught oil directly while it was draining in a clean, never used container (mid stream, just like when you do a pee in a cup test), or you've NEVER used that pan for anything before (not even an oil change), you can't use that sample.

Blackstone will send you a collection kit for free. Run it for 2-3k, collect another sample (directly into a container while the oil is draining out - and not the very first part or last part of the stream).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

Unless you caught oil directly while it was draining in a clean, never used container (mid stream, just like when you do a pee in a cup test), or you've NEVER used that pan for anything before (not even an oil change), you can't use that sample.

Well gently caress, so much for what i saved then. I ordered a kit, just gonna have to wait now until I can get a clean sample.

And this loving car uses 9 quarts of oil, it shot out of the pan so fast when it hit the container a shitload of it splashed all over my driveway, I'd say at least three quarts got spilled.

First time in my life I've ever had to go to the parts store and get oil dry for a spill, what a loving mess. And don't get me started about the dumbass cartridge oil filter....

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Well gently caress, so much for what i saved then. I ordered a kit, just gonna have to wait now until I can get a clean sample.

And this loving car uses 9 quarts of oil, it shot out of the pan so fast when it hit the container a shitload of it splashed all over my driveway, I'd say at least three quarts got spilled.

First time in my life I've ever had to go to the parts store and get oil dry for a spill, what a loving mess. And don't get me started about the dumbass cartridge oil filter....

Those experiences are never fun, but I'm with STR, hopefully that torrent of oil stirred stuff up in your catch pan from another vehicle. I may have missed -- did you open up the pleats of the oil filter?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

Also - if you want to do tiny car ownership properly you need to buy something with a tiny turbo and 2 or 3 cylinders. (My 800cc 2 cyl tiny turbo is awesome)

I ended up getting a 986cc 3cyl Suzuki Swift. The tank doesn't even take £40 and didn't even register the drive home on the gauge. I could get used to this. The only issue is the lad I bought it off decided he was going to make his own exhaust for it so it's got a straight pipe fitted. It is BEYOND loud and sounds kinda like a tractor, luckily a front to back replacement is £120 brand new so lol.

There's enough room in the back with the seats folded to get a couple of bikes in, the front seats are weirdly huge and it has a single DIN unit for a digital clock with a display the size of a watch... It's a very odd little car!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

and it has a single DIN unit for a digital clock with a display the size of a watch... It's a very odd little car!

:japan:

I once drove a Daihatsu that had something like that, but it also had an FM radio with a built-in speaker.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Why Excel? That's a job for either sharepoint or outlook calendars, or at least get a template rather than scratch build.

Because My Boss Said So and That's What We Did Before.

I even made a fairly nifty version in Confluence but we didn't have sticky column/row headers in edit mode, so that was nixed.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hope all of the Amerigoons had a good Memorial Day weekend.

I slashed my palm wide open chopping lettuce for smash burgers, and didn't wear a high enough SPF sunscreen so now my shins feel like they're going to split open like over-cooked hot dogs! :banjo:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm sitting at home waiting for a text about a case subpoena because the primary physician on the case simply declined to respond to e-mails from hospital legal. If I knew that simply ignoring the e-mail was a tenable legal option, I'd be at the goddamned gym right now.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
That works?

My life has changed

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ferremit posted:

God drat

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I am unemployed.

Versa might be sold.

I feel good.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

That works?

My life has changed

If DHS really cared they could have been more aggressive in pursuing her testimony. I'm just going to make liberal use of "if you want someone to elaborate upon her chart, you'll have to ask her yourself."

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ferremit posted:

WAA line in the Simpson. What’s mind blowing is the sheer number of animal footprints in the dune I’m standing on in the foreground!

I love that part of the world. Don’t get out there anywhere near as often enough

Man, I so loving need to somehow come up with like 6 months off and enough budget to build at least a decent budget 4wd rig and go explore Australia. You guys have such stupidly gorgeous landscapes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Those experiences are never fun, but I'm with STR, hopefully that torrent of oil stirred stuff up in your catch pan from another vehicle. I may have missed -- did you open up the pleats of the oil filter?

Well if that's the case then it's from my xB, so now I need two test kits lol. I looked through the pleats of the filter and didn't see anything, but I'm thinking about cutting it and spreading it out to get a better look.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Is it definitely metal? How confident are you that the pan was spotless before you started? I get rocks and dirt and poo poo in my drain pan all the time just because it sits open in the corner of my garage.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

That works?

My life has changed

only for rich people like doctors

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

If DHS really cared they could have been more aggressive in pursuing her testimony. I'm just going to make liberal use of "if you want someone to elaborate upon her chart, you'll have to ask her yourself."

What on Earth does the Department of Homeland Security want with a physician's chart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

I am unemployed.

Versa might be sold.

I feel good.

Goongrats?