Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I get slapped by those spine-snap angled stabs a lot, looks like a swing startup to me and then bam, damage goes out before I can react to the "swing". Really wish I got most of last night's duels on my stream, servers were littered with dudes doing Chiv ground slaps and twists. They all had t3 helmet + hood too lol

I really like the 2 point hand axe. I know the arming sword may be better but the axe feels really good to use.

e: people close to Grator, the lead weapon/armor designer, are saying that we're supposed to get a bunch of cosmetics soon. Hopefully it's soon and not soon™. I need to join their discord, bunch of cool info drops there all the time apparently lol

I want more t2 armor, and helmets that aren't just reskins of the norman helmet, and the t3 helmets but with a lifted visor.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

I'm at the level where i can handle normal swordfighting but every duel server has one dude who runs directly into your face while doing insane wide swaying drags and i cant even tell what i'm supposed to be parrying

i figured out what all of these guys are doing!!! turns out that if you combine weird looking up-dragged overheads with morphs your opponent will be confused as poo poo

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is it typical to have periodic bouts of high packet loss? I was having this issue the other day and it seemed to resolve itself, now it's back. Network stuff seems solid on my end.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, Giru is on a whole other level. He's been running around as a ninja using smoke bombs and daggers, barely trying, and he still completely wrecks people. He will also work in a super kick where he 360's before throwing a kick.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Trash rapier man destroys noobs who cant chamber, news at 11

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Myrmidongs posted:

Yeah, Giru is on a whole other level. He's been running around as a ninja using smoke bombs and daggers, barely trying, and he still completely wrecks people. He will also work in a super kick where he 360's before throwing a kick.

I counted the time till bitching about the rapier. Like yeah... its all the rapier Pestacio, nothin' too it.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

I counted the time till bitching about the rapier. Like yeah... its all the rapier Pestacio, nothin' too it.

Rapier is an extremely easy weapon to get kills with if you are fighting people who don't know how to counter it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that describes like 80% of the weapons in this game.

the maul the eveningstar, the messer, the spear, shields anything, poo poo the cleaver and the dagger can be super nasty if you "don't know how to counter it"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Captain Gordon posted:

Rapier is an extremely easy weapon to get kills with if you are fighting people who don't know how to counter it.

oh slick you shoulda been in that group you'd definitely be the dude to show him.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

https://clips.twitch.tv/IntelligentSincereClamAsianGlow

Ackshually the dagger is an extremely easy weapon to get kills with if you're fighting people who don't know how to counter it three at a time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rapier is annoying and definitely needs some tuning but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I'd rather fight someone good with a rapier than good with choke-grip eveningstar, that motherfucker will 2 hit you with any swings or stabs, from any direction, against all armor types and in all locations lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You'll taste my arming sword and die peasant.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

duel servers are starting to become real lovely

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Babe Magnet posted:

duel servers are starting to become real lovely

Duel servers were corny anyway tbh. They need official / legit ones. Tourney ones too

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

official/legit ones would not do anything to prevent them from being as bad as they are. in fact, they may be worse, as at least sometimes there's an admin hanging out on a duel server that can ban people who just leave before the kick goes through and resume, or break map bounds and shoot crossbow turrets, or just run around building spike walls in groups lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

You'll taste my arming sword and die peasant.

Speaking of arming swords, although I quite like using one as a backup for my short spear (+heater), is it worth using over the short sword? I haven't been able to play much yet, but I was wondering if that extra point is perhaps best spent elsewhere.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of arming swords, although I quite like using one as a backup for my short spear (+heater), is it worth using over the short sword? I haven't been able to play much yet, but I was wondering if that extra point is perhaps best spent elsewhere.

gently caress yes. The arming sword stab is better than a rapiers. 3/3/3 arming Sword + bloodlust

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

gently caress yes. The arming sword stab is better than a rapiers. 3/3/3 arming Sword + bloodlust

Alright cool, I'm glad I made the right choice then! (Especially as I blew a heap of coins on making my arming sword look pretty, before remembering that the short sword exists :v:)

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
I think I'm finally starting to "get" the combat in this. Still figuring it out, but I can at least see the logic and what I should be doing on another level.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/IntelligentSincereClamAsianGlow

Ackshually the dagger is an extremely easy weapon to get kills with if you're fighting people who don't know how to counter it three at a time.

Actually, I see how none of his opponents are capable of simple chamber+ accel slash.

Babe Magnet posted:

that describes like 80% of the weapons in this game.

the maul the eveningstar, the messer, the spear, shields anything, poo poo the cleaver and the dagger can be super nasty if you "don't know how to counter it"

I dont get the comparison. There are weapons in this game which have fast attack/fast riptose speed and are exclusively stabbing weapons. Countering stab-only weapons is as easy as chamber+slash, but most people who play this are bad and do not know how to do this. Maul, Eveningstar and Messer can alternate between slashing and stabbing, therefore they are harder to counter then a dagger or a rapier, which will be a stab 99% of the time.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 29, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's not a comparison of weapons as much as it's saying that "fighting people who are bad and can't fight your weapon are easy kills" which is like yeah no poo poo. You specifically called out the rapier as being strong because of this reason, I was trying to get across that it's a bad point altogether.

actually this is stupid your original point just seems to be that it's nothing special because it's just a video of a dude killing people who are bad and you used the phrase "trash rapier man" which started a debate about weapon strength, this is dumb, lets just all agree:

those dudes in the video are bad yeah lol. Trix is a favorite of mine and my favorite part of his videos are where we gets into fights with people who seem to actually know how to play the game. Watching him cleave through chaff is pretty funny tho

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I don't think any of the weapons are really any harder or easier to fight than any other, they're just different.

Its hard to fight people who are really good at the game no matter what they use.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it not only depends on your personal skill and preference but also your preferred weapon type. I don't often use big-rear end 2handers outside of the halberd and war-axe (and war axe isn't even that big, just slow lol) so I don't generally have a problem with rapiers because I can keep up with them pretty easy, but I get trashed by versatile weapons like pole axes and evening-stars.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If anything I guess i'd say the least commonly used weapons are the hardest, since you have less experience fighting against them.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

That said rapiers are lame af

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hakimashou posted:

If anything I guess i'd say the least commonly used weapons are the hardest, since you have less experience fighting against them.

Kind of depends. The Warhammer is just a shittier handaxe in like all regards. It's the least used for a reason (which is a shame because it's dope visually and historically). Shortsword is a shittier arming sword, the timing isn't even all that different. There's a few weapons that really are just other weapons but shittier.

You should be able to throw all of the peasant weapons since you can't alt-grip them. Also, let me throw my buckler like a frisbee.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

It's not a comparison of weapons as much as it's saying that "fighting people who are bad and can't fight your weapon are easy kills" which is like yeah no poo poo. You specifically called out the rapier as being strong because of this reason, I was trying to get across that it's a bad point altogether.

actually this is stupid your original point just seems to be that it's nothing special because it's just a video of a dude killing people who are bad and you used the phrase "trash rapier man" which started a debate about weapon strength, this is dumb, lets just all agree:

those dudes in the video are bad yeah lol. Trix is a favorite of mine and my favorite part of his videos are where we gets into fights with people who seem to actually know how to play the game. Watching him cleave through chaff is pretty funny tho

Ok, thats fair! And to be fair to the streamer also, his footwork is on point and he is really good at consistently stabbing people in the head, regardless of weapon.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That streamer has talked before about how he thinks the rapier is pretty bad and all this stuff is 10x easier when he's using a weapon that can kill in 2 hits instead of 4 and can swing through multiple enemies.

There was once where he was running around beheading everyone with a bardiche constantly and then switched to the rapier for a life or two. Despite him getting less kills than he was before the enemy team immediately started complaining in chat about rapier being OP.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

raipiers are cool and my friend

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Yah the arming sword is a lot better. The 1 point weapons are costed to be a lot worse than the 2 point weapons and have really horrible parry drain negation (you take much more stamina drain from parrying a hit). A shield does remove the parry drain negation drawback of the 1 point weapons though.

If your goal is to be able to chuck your spear and switch to a decent 1-hander, definitely go with the arming sword. The arming sword has way more threatening swings which means chambering is way stronger and you can abuse swings against weapons that have bad swings.

code:
| Name         | Attack | Alt Mode         | H       | T       | H           | T           | Length | Windup | Combo | Release | P. Drain |
|              |        |                  | HTK     | HTK     | Damage      | Damage      |        |        |       |         | Negation |
|--------------+--------+------------------+---------+---------+-------------+-------------+--------+--------+-------+---------+----------|
| Short Sword  | Strike | Off [Projectile] | 2/3/3/4 | 3/3/4/6 | 60/49/42/33 | 45/34/27/18 | 60 cm  |    475 |   675 |     425 |        7 |
| Short Sword  | Thrust | Off [Projectile] | 2/2/2/3 | 2/2/3/4 | 70/66/50/40 | 55/51/35/25 | 60 cm  |    475 |   700 |     350 |        7 |
| Arming Sword | Strike | Off [Projectile] | 2/2/3/4 | 2/2/4/4 | 75/65/43/30 | 60/50/28/25 | 75 cm  |    475 |   675 |     475 |       11 |
| Arming Sword | Thrust | Off [Projectile] | 2/2/2/3 | 2/2/3/4 | 85/72/55/38 | 70/57/40/33 | 75 cm  |    500 |   725 |     350 |       11 |
If you're doing front-line and just want a backup weapon in case you get disarmed, I would recommend 2 points on something else rather than a backup weapon except for maybe the first spawn. Usually you can pick a backup weapon off the ground since the battlefield is massively littered in them. Even on the first spawn, a lot of the maps have backup weapons initially spawned on the map you can just pick up off the floor to help you parry poo poo if you get disarmed.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 29, 2019

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

TorakFade posted:

what really fucks you over are the people that can mix up things well: feint, "feint" with footwork and body movement (that's the worst since it costs no stamina), dodge horizontal blows by ducking and looking up (I NEED to learn to do that, it looks super cool), chamber and morph at will, drag and accel perfectly etc.

I'm really impressed by people who can dodge stabs just by turning themselves side-on to the stab and stepping back or forward

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That streamer has talked before about how he thinks the rapier is pretty bad and all this stuff is 10x easier when he's using a weapon that can kill in 2 hits instead of 4 and can swing through multiple enemies.

There was once where he was running around beheading everyone with a bardiche constantly and then switched to the rapier for a life or two. Despite him getting less kills than he was before the enemy team immediately started complaining in chat about rapier being OP.
Sums up even my casual experience with the Bardiche, really.

I can accidentally cut the heads off enemies who are off screen with it on my way to killing my intended target, even in 3rd person :stare: But half the server will trip over themselves to go "No actually, thrust drags are bad!" if I start joking about my bardiche no scope kills.

Though my real joys are overhands that chop the faces off enemies without hurting a crowd of teammates swarming around, because I am a big softy of a murder knight.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 29, 2019

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

My main goal when I play this game is to make life miserable for people who chose to ride horses. Usually a simple billhook will suffice, but occasionally I run into someone who actually knows what they are doing (and takes the time to pick up a lance), and the billhook alone isn't enough. Thankfully, the toolbox exists, and with it you can drop a wall which will instantly stop a horse, leaving its rider desperately trying to escape as he is drug from his horse and mercilessly stabbed by a horde of once-victims.

No creature on this Earth is as salty and indignant as a horse-lord brought low by a simple toolbox.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

cerebral posted:

My main goal when I play this game is to make life miserable for people who chose to ride horses. Usually a simple billhook will suffice, but occasionally I run into someone who actually knows what they are doing (and takes the time to pick up a lance), and the billhook alone isn't enough. Thankfully, the toolbox exists, and with it you can drop a wall which will instantly stop a horse, leaving its rider desperately trying to escape as he is drug from his horse and mercilessly stabbed by a horde of once-victims.

No creature on this Earth is as salty and indignant as a horse-lord brought low by a simple toolbox.

See horses are actually perfectly balanced

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

Section Z posted:

Sums up even my casual experience with the Bardiche, really.

Bardiche is my current go to weapon. You get a solid combo weapon and then alt grip it to be (what feels like) a longer executioners sword. Its really fun to encounter war Axe or maul users and simply step out of their range and headshot them with the alt swing.

I recently found out you can use your alt grip switch to "feint" out of a slash. Swing -> alt grip -> backup -> swing catches a lot of people off guard with the extra reach.

I still need to learn to not chamber stabs just because I can, instead of tactically using it. Normally I don't like "fighting" games but the combat system and mechanics are so satisfying to win and lose by.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I want to play a gimmick game now where I billhook everybody off their horse (friend and foe alike) and then hide the horses somewhere out of the way where they are less likely to be picked up (or just murder them). I assume only one horse for each spawn point can exist at a time?

Edit: or wall them in with the tool box, I bet you could deny at least a couple of horses before people wised up to your shenanigans.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah. They're essentially just Battlefield vehicles, same exact rules.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd totally be down for a tourny gamemode where you run around throwing axes at targets, jousting, getting into punchups and swordfights while peasents throw crap at you and boo you.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Motherfucker posted:

I'd totally be down for a tourny gamemode where you run around throwing axes at targets, jousting, getting into punchups and swordfights while peasents throw crap at you and boo you.

its called "frontline" ride a horse some time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What is the twirl I've seen people do with the maul? I've gone off several times today using the maul but I can't seem to do it myself, yet I witness it a lot from other maul users.

It feels like a stab into a horizontal but I don't think that's it.