Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Do any lifeforms go through a reproductive sytem where antomous life form exists only to impregenate and die to create the actual lifeform? Cause, jokes on evolution aside, facehuggers exist to breed and die to create Drones and Queens. Does anything in nature work like that? Where the seed is its own creature and only exists to make the actual lifeform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean they're kinda like cum in a way

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Covok posted:

Do any lifeforms go through a reproductive sytem where antomous life form exists only to impregenate and die to create the actual lifeform? Cause, jokes on evolution aside, facehuggers exist to breed and die to create Drones and Queens. Does anything in nature work like that? Where the seed is its own creature and only exists to make the actual lifeform?

The ocean has you covered:

https://twitter.com/zkobrinsky/status/1131526043943227393

See: Schizogamy

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean they're kinda like cum in a way

Sperm actually turns into the lifeform completely. Like, sure, most of them don't. But the one used in reproduction enters the cell of the egg and begins to develop into a new lifeform. The facehugger just dies: all its biomass wasted.

Welp, there ya go.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SUNKOS posted:

The game Evolve felt a lot like a Predator game except with different monsters and I think it's a shame that the game was poo poo on so much and died so quickly because it was really fun to play as either the monster or the hunters. There was even one dark rainy jungle level with a power plant in one part of the map and it was intense playing as a monster sneaking around trying to pick people off while eating and upgrading or as the hunters trying to track and trap the monster for a fight that could go either way. There was a lot of alien wildlife scattered around the maps as well that was hostile to hunters and the monster which made it even more interesting. I hope this Predator game comes close to how fun that game was but people seemed to really dislike the combo of multiplayer-only and asymmetrical teams.

Evolve was really fun. The problem was completely on balance.

I played one game where I was stealthed in a bush and the entire human team jumped over me and then went off to the other end of the map while I got stronger. I also played tons of games with people only being the flying monster or the stealth monster and waiting out traps to escape and power up.

I know its old but, The Hidden for half life 2 was a pretty fun game also. If servers are still up, you may want to try it out. There's one invisible person called the hidden and they got a knife and 2 grenades. Everyone else is hunting them. Its basically the predator. You can hang up bodies also.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 25, 2019

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Alien was released 40 years ago today. Gonna watch it tonight and remind myself why it's one of the best movies ever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Im seeing it on Tuesday at the Alamo. Third time seeing it in the theater haha.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pre-order is up for Dungeons and Aliens.

https://alien-rpg.com/

I'm tempted to get this sight unseen.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

You'd better believe I did. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

You'd better believe I did. :v:

Poster map in the bundle shows that they appear to be using some worldbuilding from the scrapped Alien 3 script, which is neat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Poster map in the bundle shows that they appear to be using some worldbuilding from the scrapped Alien 3 script, which is neat.
The UPP? Yeah, that's a nice touch. They actually become a plot point in the Nintendo DS game "Aliens: Infestation", too.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Owlbear Camus posted:

Dude... get Mothership on DM's Guild. The base book is free. There's rules for making Xenomorphs from the creators themselves (check out their discord, they answer questions). Seriously, go check it out.
All the cards and poo poo in this look more like a board game than a traditional pencil & paper RPG. Try Mothership.
E: There's Space Truckers (Teamsters), Marines, Pulse Rifles, Panic Checks, the works. The game can be anywhere from Alien, Aliens, Event Horizon, Doom. I can't recommend it enough.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 26, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Dude... get Mothership on DM's Guild. The base book is free. There's rules for making Xenomorphs from the creators themselves (check out their discord, they answer questions). Seriously, go check it out.
All the cards and poo poo in this look more like a board game than a traditional pencil & paper RPG. Try Mothership.
E: There's Space Truckers (Teamsters), Marines, Pulse Rifles, Panic Checks, the works. The game can be anywhere from Alien, Aliens, Event Horizon, Doom. I can't recommend it enough.

Mothership is great!

A few things that have me interested in this as well:
[*] The art looks amazing.
[*] I like "gamey" RPGs. I was bummed when D&D 4th ed went away. I loved the fact that you could just balance it pretty well and not pull any punches as DM, and it was a snap to run. I realize that's not for everyone but I'm way too old to actually argue with anyone about the correct way to pretend to be elves or space truckers, you do you; I'll do me.
[*] I like having a bunch of background on the factions, state of the galaxy, all that gazateer poo poo.
[*] I like that it specifically has a game mode for oneshot/short sessions which I think honestly is perfect for sci-fi horror, and especially like that there's mechanics for characters having hidden and conflicting agendas.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Ordered this sight unseen, 40th anniversary edition deluxe set. Im going all out this year on any od the 40th anniversary stuff so if im going to do it im gonna do it hard.

Thanks again xeno. My copy of labyrinth is making the rounds through some of my friends and has blown a few minds.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Owlbear Camus posted:

you do you; I'll do me.

I wasn't trying to tell you what to do. More like give you or other people a free option that emulates a lot of the same things if they couldn't wait for this or afford it. Sorry for the mix-up.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Those of you who are preordering the alien rpg please post your thoughts on the pdf they send you. I’m interested in how it plays/what you’d compare it to

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Class Warcraft posted:

Those of you who are preordering the alien rpg please post your thoughts on the pdf they send you. I’m interested in how it plays/what you’d compare it to

I'll be a bad source of info on that front, as I don't really play tabletop RPGs because I don't have any friends.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want to preorder it but I’m still a broke college student.

Maybe I can get my rpg club to buy it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The PDF is out.

I am currently... collating.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

The PDF is out.

I am currently... collating.

Tell me how it goes. I'm basing my purchasing decision on the feedback it receives.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Covok posted:

Tell me how it goes. I'm basing my purchasing decision on the feedback it receives.

So the quickstart doesn't have a ton of background material, but what it has works. It's set just a couple years after the events of Alien3. It paints a picture of 3 governments, a bunch of corporations and an exploited underclass suffering under the thumb of avaricious elites. I'm excited to get into the setting chapter when the full book drops.

Dice are based on "Year Zero" rules, which I never played, but it's basically stat+skill dice pool based. All D6 based, rolling for at least one "6" to succeed in your pool, more of them to add degrees of success. If you fail a roll you can "push" to add a Stress to reroll it. Each stress adds a die to your pool for as long as you have it, but you roll a different colored die for the stress ones. When one comes up a "1" your character has some kind of panic/mental breakdown, which is likely worse based on how long it took to crack. You also can't push a roll that forced a panic. Androids can't push, but don't suffer stress. You can also add stress per the GM (Game MUTHR) saying some poo poo you saw was spooky.

There are 4 attributes and 12 skills, so everything is pretty lightly sketched. One particularly interesting feature of the system is since one of the modes of gameplay (cinematic) can become adversarial, they explicitly spell out that players can use Manipulation (catch all social skill) against one and other.

Combat uses a somewhat game-y action economy, opposed rolls, cover, blocking, enough that if you want to run Tactical Badasses (and then subvert it when the bugs get too much) you can do it. Combat is scary, but a little forgiving, going to 0 health gives you a crit that injures you but is unlikely to outright kill you. Doctering characters can try to fix you.

One interesting thing here is that to coup-de-grace a fallen human NPC, your character has to FAIL an "Empathy" (social stat) roll otherwise they can't. There's a trait you can take to make yourself a hardened killer.

There's a Permanent Mental Trauma table. :evilbuddy:

Xenomorphs have "signature attacks" that make them more deadly than just getting into a slapfight with some WY mercenaries or something, which is on-theme IMO. They aren't disabled the same way humans are when they reach 0 health and have tricks. Basically they break all the rules and are lethal in a way that the normal combat rules aren't.

I guess this counts as a spoiler if you're planning to play the included scenario This suppliment teases us by spelling out all the ways Xenomorphs are mechanically terrifying, but the actual scenario presented uses the spore-based neomorphs from the prequels-- there's no rules for Xenos in this quick play duder. My dick is teased for the full core book.

The "Agendas" thing from the included scenario is fascenating. I think playing this as 1-shots or short connected sessions in the 3-act mode might be the best way to play if your players are okay playing the pre-gens or you can come up with a cool web of competing secret agendas in "session 0"

TL;DR seems cool.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Wow, The Predator is pretty dire.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

So the quickstart doesn't have a ton of background material, but what it has works. It's set just a couple years after the events of Alien3. It paints a picture of 3 governments, a bunch of corporations and an exploited underclass suffering under the thumb of avaricious elites. I'm excited to get into the setting chapter when the full book drops.

Dice are based on "Year Zero" rules, which I never played, but it's basically stat+skill dice pool based. All D6 based, rolling for at least one "6" to succeed in your pool, more of them to add degrees of success. If you fail a roll you can "push" to add a Stress to reroll it. Each stress adds a die to your pool for as long as you have it, but you roll a different colored die for the stress ones. When one comes up a "1" your character has some kind of panic/mental breakdown, which is likely worse based on how long it took to crack. You also can't push a roll that forced a panic. Androids can't push, but don't suffer stress. You can also add stress per the GM (Game MUTHR) saying some poo poo you saw was spooky.

There are 4 attributes and 12 skills, so everything is pretty lightly sketched. One particularly interesting feature of the system is since one of the modes of gameplay (cinematic) can become adversarial, they explicitly spell out that players can use Manipulation (catch all social skill) against one and other.

Combat uses a somewhat game-y action economy, opposed rolls, cover, blocking, enough that if you want to run Tactical Badasses (and then subvert it when the bugs get too much) you can do it. Combat is scary, but a little forgiving, going to 0 health gives you a crit that injures you but is unlikely to outright kill you. Doctering characters can try to fix you.

One interesting thing here is that to coup-de-grace a fallen human NPC, your character has to FAIL an "Empathy" (social stat) roll otherwise they can't. There's a trait you can take to make yourself a hardened killer.

There's a Permanent Mental Trauma table. :evilbuddy:

Xenomorphs have "signature attacks" that make them more deadly than just getting into a slapfight with some WY mercenaries or something, which is on-theme IMO. They aren't disabled the same way humans are when they reach 0 health and have tricks. Basically they break all the rules and are lethal in a way that the normal combat rules aren't.

I guess this counts as a spoiler if you're planning to play the included scenario This suppliment teases us by spelling out all the ways Xenomorphs are mechanically terrifying, but the actual scenario presented uses the spore-based neomorphs from the prequels-- there's no rules for Xenos in this quick play duder. My dick is teased for the full core book.

The "Agendas" thing from the included scenario is fascenating. I think playing this as 1-shots or short connected sessions in the 3-act mode might be the best way to play if your players are okay playing the pre-gens or you can come up with a cool web of competing secret agendas in "session 0"

TL;DR seems cool.

Alright, I decided to put it down. Though, I do need to stop buying these things. They're slowing just becoming a book collection and not a game collection. Sigh, it was so different when I was in college.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Definitely have to talk my friends into playing that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Covok posted:

Alright, I decided to put it down. Though, I do need to stop buying these things. They're slowing just becoming a book collection and not a game collection. Sigh, it was so different when I was in college.

I feel you. My copy of 2d20 Star Trek is still in the shrink wrap.

gently caress I miss the college and the barracks. Just get some fukkin dice and meet in the common room for hours not a care in the world.

Now there's a million games that all look great and my pals are all scattered to the winds and whomst remains between jobs and kids good luck scheduling.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

gently caress, the bundle has a star map in it. I'm sold.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Interstellar central planning may not be a perfect system but the UPP has some good ideas.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yo you guys I’m so loving happy right now we’re getting the final alien prequel. It’s been a beyond poo poo week. But I’m seeing Alien tomorrow night in 4K, and we’re seeing the end to David’s story so gently caress yess.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Phew, now we can finally discover the origins of the flute!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Yo you guys I’m so loving happy right now we’re getting the final alien prequel. It’s been a beyond poo poo week. But I’m seeing Alien tomorrow night in 4K, and we’re seeing the end to David’s story so gently caress yess.
The last time we got excited for an Alien prequel, we got a movie that says David created the Alien (a retarded idea on multiple levels), contradicting Ridley Scott's first movie.
I can't wait to see what Ridley Scott fucks up next.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

David creates Ellen Ripley.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

The last time we got excited for an Alien prequel, we got a movie that says David created the Alien (a retarded idea on multiple levels), contradicting Ridley Scott's first movie.
Word.

I understand the frustration that a lot of people have with the prequels, but am nevertheless psyched to see David^3.

If the prequel movies hadn't been tied to the Alien franchise with all its expectations, I think they'd be widely regarded as some of the best sci-fi of the past 20 years.

Edit: and since David is legit crazy by the time he's found in Covenant, I always took his "creation" of the aliens as being a bit of self-delusion. He did some nasty experiments with the goo, and independently arrived at some creatures that are a lot like the aliens that Ripley ran into, because the goo has the potential to create those creatures under the right conditions.

Along those lines, I prefer to think that the Engineer ships and armor look like Space Jockey stuff because those assholes ran into remnants of the Jockeys eons ago and just cargo culted the crap out of everything. Head Canon ftw.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 28, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ersatz posted:

Word.

I understand the frustration that a lot of people have with the prequels, but am nevertheless psyched to see David^3.

If the prequel movies hadn't been tied to the Alien franchise with all its expectations, I think they'd be widely regarded as some of the best sci-fi of the past 20 years.

Edit: and since David is legit crazy by the time he's found in Covenant, I always took his "creation" of the aliens as being a bit of self-delusion. He did some nasty experiments with the goo, and independently arrived at some creatures that are a lot like the aliens that Ripley ran into, because the goo has the potential to create those creatures under the right conditions.

Along those lines, I prefer to think that the Engineer ships and armor look like Space Jockey stuff because those assholes ran into remnants of the Jockeys eons ago and just cargo culted the crap out of everything. Head Canon ftw.

Yeah, that's how I saw things too. We know David is crazy, re-inventing the cosmic wheel and thinking he's the first to do so fits in well with his character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

How have you been told and shown the movie doesn't say this necessarily multiple times, but still keep repeating it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darko posted:

How have you been told and shown the movie doesn't say this necessarily multiple times, but still keep repeating it?
I don’t think I’ve been repeating it? I’m an extremely strong supporter of the idea that David is full of poo poo whether he knows it or not.

Apparently “the official line” from FOX is that yep, David made the Alien unless Ridley Scott walks it back in the next movie.

I am absolutely with you though, it’s really easy to read the movie as David merely recreating an existing creature whether he realizes it or not.

And frankly I don’t give a poo poo what FOX/Ridley Scott say.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 28, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

*sees the ancient chamber mural in Prometheus with a clear variation of the xenomorph genus right in the middle*

drat, David created the aliens? Wow. Must be true. Some guy at Fox said so.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darko posted:

Unfortunately, there's always going to be an audience clamoring for endless, data-driven fan-service from Alien and Aliens no matter what - two films that cannot be topped.

ruddiger posted:

*sees the ancient chamber mural in Prometheus with a clear variation of the xenomorph genus right in the middle*

drat, David created the aliens? Wow. Must be true. Some guy at Fox said so.

The mural is a deacon/neomorph, and it seemingly doesn't matter how many times this has to be pointed out either.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SUNKOS posted:

Phew, now we can finally discover the origins of the flute!

Alien penis bone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

I hope he makes fans even madder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

When do the prequels contradict Alien?