Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The worst is when he sounds like he's pushing out a turd after selecting a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

1glitch0 posted:

I was baffled why both didn't go all in, because if it was me I would assume the other guy would be doing that. But neither did so I guess they were both right not to? I dunno.

James doesn't have to go all-in, he just has to bet enough to beat Nate's all-in.

Because Nate knows James has to bet enough to cover his all-in, Nate can then second-level and bet low enough that he wins if they both miss.

This is the case any time the second place player has more than 2/3 the leader's score, if they have less than that (but more than 1/2, otherwise it would be a runaway) they need to get it right AND the leader has to miss.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Spokes posted:

James doesn't have to go all-in, he just has to bet enough to beat Nate's all-in.

Because Nate knows James has to bet enough to cover his all-in, Nate can then second-level and bet low enough that he wins if they both miss.

This is the case any time the second place player has more than 2/3 the leader's score, if they have less than that (but more than 1/2, otherwise it would be a runaway) they need to get it right AND the leader has to miss.

I would botch betting so bad on Jeopardy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

1glitch0 posted:

Aside from getting steamrolled by James, this is my greatest fear.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
People smart enough to remember a billion random facts to get on Jeopardy are also smart enough to remember betting strategy, so I'm surprised more don't memorize it. https://thejeopardyfan.com/final-jeopardy-betting

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hosed up the math so badly when I was trying to figure out the betting for final for my second game that at one point my math told me that I needed to bet $32,000 and I was like "uhhh I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that's wrong".

Eventually I got the figure I was fairly certain I wanted, and tacked on an extra $100 or so just in case I was still super bad at it.

And I had actually practiced doing the calculations on a piece of paper and stuff before I went to film, since it's so vital. But the day is just so insane, it's very easy to just completely blank on how basic addition/subtraction works.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Spokes posted:

not actually a spoiler, just speculation:
ken's loss was leaked almost immediately, and this was at the very beginning of widespread social media--i think there's no chance james has lost and it hasn't leaked, at this point--you're probably good to tune out for the remainder of the season

Ken's loss made news the day of the taping, and we knew it was coming for weeks. And it was pretty mainstream news. Once James loses I'm sure we'll know the day of the taping as well.

Sorry if the spoiler tags are unnecessary. Just airing on the side of caution.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

I hosed up the math so badly when I was trying to figure out the betting for final for my second game that at one point my math told me that I needed to bet $32,000 and I was like "uhhh I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that's wrong".

Eventually I got the figure I was fairly certain I wanted, and tacked on an extra $100 or so just in case I was still super bad at it.

And I had actually practiced doing the calculations on a piece of paper and stuff before I went to film, since it's so vital. But the day is just so insane, it's very easy to just completely blank on how basic addition/subtraction works.

Fair point. Everyone says the lights and cameras change everything. You can definitely see sometimes when someone obviously knows the question but just chokes and it has to be due to the stress. And the last time I did arithmetic with pen and paper was middle school, so yeah.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

User posted:

Fair point. Everyone says the lights and cameras change everything. You can definitely see sometimes when someone obviously knows the question but just chokes and it has to be due to the stress. And the last time I did arithmetic with pen and paper was middle school, so yeah.

I was in the audience and it was disorienting as hell even before you factor in nerves. Couldn’t imagine being on stage.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

User posted:

People smart enough to remember a billion random facts to get on Jeopardy are also smart enough to remember betting strategy, so I'm surprised more don't memorize it. https://thejeopardyfan.com/final-jeopardy-betting

1glitch0 posted:

zakharov posted:

HookShot posted:

Yeah, this is a thing. During one of the finals of a Tournament of Champions like 5 years back, Kristin Sausville was taking so long with her bet because she was trying to figure out every possibility, that Alex walked up during the long break and “jokingly” asked if she wasn’t good with math (har har, another Uncle Alex moment). You kinda do have all the time you need within reason to figure your Final Jeopardy wager, doubly so during tournaments, so she took as much advantage of that as she could.

And yeah, my own wager was kinda straightforward, but in the heat of the moment underneath the lights (even if wagers are made during a break for commercials) can make you mess up your math badly or forget all about the betting strategy you attempt to remember/learn/memorize.

It’s why I wish Keith Williams still did The Final Wager daily analysis of those wagers. Though I guess his website is still up, in addition to Andy Saunders’ Jeopardy Fan guide linked above. https://thefinalwager.com

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Sorry if the spoiler tags are unnecessary. Just airing on the side of caution.

Erring. Sorry, I’m somewhat obsessive about proper word usage in cases like that.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 25, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, this is a thing. During one of the finals of a Tournament of Champions like 5 years back, Kristin Sausville was taking so long with her bet because she was trying to figure out every possibility, that Alex walked up during the long break and “jokingly” asked if she wasn’t good with math (har har, another Uncle Alex moment). You kinda do have all the time you need within reason to figure your Final Jeopardy wager, doubly so during tournaments, so she took as much advantage of that as she could.

And yeah, my own wager was kinda straightforward, but in the heat of the moment underneath the lights (even if wagers are made during a break for commercials) can make you mess up your math badly or forget all about the betting strategy you attempt to remember/learn/memorize.

It’s why I wish Keith Williams still did The Final Wager daily analysis of those wagers. Though I guess his website is still up, in addition to Andy Saunders’ Jeopardy Fan guide linked above. https://thefinalwager.com

Erring. Sorry, I’m somewhat obsessive about proper word usage in cases like that.

Can you explain the dude in second place on Friday who didn't bet it all? Like that would be my instinct. And I can't remember the totals going into FJ but I think if he had bet it all he would have beat James. If you don't win you get 1k or 2k which ain't much after taxes either way. Why not go all in, even if you don't know the category? Maybe you get lucky and know the answer or guess right. Like if there's a time to go for broke in your life that's the time. Either you win or you come in second or third, and if you don't win you still mostly have enough money to fly home and have a nice dinner.

But I'm a moron who couldn't be on Jeopardy so I obviously don't get it. I could beat Wolf Blitzer, tho! But who couldn't?

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 25, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
At this point there’s a chance James is still going past Alex dying.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

1glitch0 posted:

Can you explain the dude in second place on Friday who didn't bet it all? Like that would be my instinct. And I can't remember the totals going into FJ but I think if he had bet it all he would have beat James. If you don't win you get 1k or 2k which ain't much after taxes either way. Why not go all in, even if you don't know the category? Maybe you get lucky and know the answer or guess right. Like if there's a time to go for broke in your life that's the time. Either you win or you come in second or third, and if you don't win you still mostly have enough money to fly home and have a nice dinner.

But I'm a moron who couldn't be on Jeopardy so I obviously don't get it. I could beat Wolf Blitzer, tho! But who couldn't?

James had $31,200 going into Final Jeopardy and successfully wagered $20,908 for a final total of $52,908. This would have covered Nate's final total of $51,600 had Nate successfully risked it all.

As noted above, if you are in second place and have 2/3 of first, I believe the optimal strategy* is to bet just enough to surpass first place's total going in to FJ, assuming (a) first place wagers enough to cover second place doubling up, and (b) third place isn't a threat to win.

If first place has $10,000 and I have $8,000 going in to FJ, I should bet $2,001. Assuming first place bets $6,001 to cover me, I win if I'm right and he's wrong, or if we're both wrong ($5,999 vs $3,999).

*I think I saw at least once where this backfired; had second place bet it all, they would have beaten first place's successful wager

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think the worst is when the third place person who's far behind the other two (who are close) wagers anything when the correct move - wager nothing - would've won t hem the game. i can only think of it happening once in all my time watching the show.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think the worst is when the third place person who's far behind the other two (who are close) wagers anything when the correct move - wager nothing - would've won t hem the game. i can only think of it happening once in all my time watching the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HUyXYNYA4g

1st and 2nd place are tied so they're kind of forced to bet everything. 3rd place can't catch either of them with a double up so DON"T BET STUPID.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i really don’t understand how someone can watch jeopardy to the point you’d get on the show and not know you don’t bet there. mind boggling.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There was also a 3 way $0 tie in the Teen tournament once which incidentally directly allowed the previously eliminated eventual winner with his famous “some guy in Normandy I don’t know I won” answer through.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 26, 2019

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At this point there’s a chance James is still going past Alex dying.

I've thought so too, but James has had a few relatively close calls. And all things being equal (eg, his opponents search as well as he does), there's about a 30% chance he gets no daily doubles on a given day.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MD2020 posted:

James had $31,200 going into Final Jeopardy and successfully wagered $20,908 for a final total of $52,908. This would have covered Nate's final total of $51,600 had Nate successfully risked it all.

As noted above, if you are in second place and have 2/3 of first, I believe the optimal strategy* is to bet just enough to surpass first place's total going in to FJ, assuming (a) first place wagers enough to cover second place doubling up, and (b) third place isn't a threat to win.

If first place has $10,000 and I have $8,000 going in to FJ, I should bet $2,001. Assuming first place bets $6,001 to cover me, I win if I'm right and he's wrong, or if we're both wrong ($5,999 vs $3,999).

*I think I saw at least once where this backfired; had second place bet it all, they would have beaten first place's successful wager

Oh cool, thanks. Bad at math!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

1glitch0 posted:

I was baffled why both didn't go all in, because if it was me I would assume the other guy would be doing that. But neither did so I guess they were both right not to? I dunno.

I'm also just enthralled by his mastery of so many different topics. He's just so quick and doesn't seem to have a weak area. He gets the pop culture stuff, the history stuff, geography, sports. It's really amazing to watch.

There's a good chance he's the most insufferable "Well, actually..." Guy in real life, but I'm having a blast watching him on tv.

Seconding this. I like when someone just comes in and cleans house and makes it incredibly difficult because for me it makes it more interesting to see if anyone gets close to Knocking him off. However I see a lot of people going through Jeopardy withdrawal when he finally loses and everything just goes back to playing the game in order and making pathetic Final Jeopardy Wagers

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Seconding this. I like when someone just comes in and cleans house and makes it incredibly difficult because for me it makes it more interesting to see if anyone gets close to Knocking him off. However I see a lot of people going through Jeopardy withdrawal when he finally loses and everything just goes back to playing the game in order and making pathetic Final Jeopardy Wagers

It'll be weird to after a month of games with 50,000 or 80,000, or 100,000 final scores we go back to "and Billy Bob wins with 7,850 dollars!"

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Yeah I honestly hope that James's performance gets other players to bet a bit more aggressively. Not saying they ought to go as far as he does, unless they also know 97% of everything and are a machine on the buzzer, but most players really are way too conservative with the daily doubles. If you got onto an episode you probably have at least a 75% chance of knowing the question, so don't bet 10% of your bankroll!

I think James actually said something similar in one of the hojillion interviews/podcasts he's done with regard to football coaches not taking risks with high expected value, like 2 point conversions.

Edit: Interestingly, it looks like football coaches are also reluctant to break with tradition for similar reasons to many Jeopardy contestants: https://dtai.cs.kuleuven.be/events/MLSA16/papers/paper_1.pdf

User fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 26, 2019

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Football coaches makes decisions too conservatively but if you fail you will be criticized.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's like penalty kicks in soccer, where no one kicks it straight down the middle, even though the goalie is probably going to jump to the left or to the right.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, the math has been detailed above, assuming you mean the Thursday game with Nate in it. While betting to cover someone like James’ almost inevitable large Final bet (compete with idiosyncratic uneven and sometimes personally significant numbers) from first place as someone in second, who will certainly be betting enough to cover you doubling up for a win if they miss may be a bit complicated and a lot less exciting that going all in, it is the smart play of you think about betting strategy and work that all out on the slip of paper they give you to do that math with during the Final Jeopardy setup break for commercials. Yes, glare of the lights and nerves and all that, but it usually works out, barring any large failures in math or sudden brain farts/forgetting strategy on that piece of paper from the said nervousness on the podium.

Doesn’t silence the peanut gallery armchair mathematicians though, some of whom are very vocal about how one should’ve bet in another fashion or whatever, like going all in anyway, despite the math not working out the best if they did take their advice. But I do get it, large bets are exciting to watch, and may seem smarter than betting to cover, but it’s just not good strategy in these cases.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There was also a 3 way $0 tie in the Teen tournament once which incidentally directly allowed the previously eliminated eventual winner with his famous “some guy in Normandy I don’t know I won” answer through.

That was Leonard Cooper, who was just on the All Stars Games tournament. It was fun seeing him again.

1glitch0 posted:

It'll be weird to after a month of games with 50,000 or 80,000, or 100,000 final scores we go back to "and Billy Bob wins with 7,850 dollars!"
:agreed:. It’s gonna be difficult to go back to a time when Alex thought $20-30k was a large amount for champs to win on occasion and they more often won only a bit over $10k.

User posted:

Yeah I honestly hope that James's performance gets other players to bet a bit more aggressively. Not saying they ought to go as far as he does, unless they also know 97% of everything and are a machine on the buzzer, but most players really are way too conservative with the daily doubles. If you got onto an episode you probably have at least a 75% chance of knowing the question, so don't bet 10% of your bankroll!

I think James actually said something similar in one of the hojillion interviews/podcasts he's done with regard to football coaches not taking risks with high expected value, like 2 point conversions.

Edit: Interestingly, it looks like football coaches are also reluctant to break with tradition for similar reasons to many Jeopardy contestants: https://dtai.cs.kuleuven.be/events/MLSA16/papers/paper_1.pdf

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It's like penalty kicks in soccer, where no one kicks it straight down the middle, even though the goalie is probably going to jump to the left or to the right.
Aren’t most sportsball coaches and the like inherently conservative about these kinds of things, because they know what usually works and if they do gently caress up, it’s def gonna be on their head from management and from the fans in the peanut gallery and sports radio and all the commentators that sportsball has, dissecting their decisions endlessly and all that? They wanna keep their jobs and all that.

Yeah, if it works out, then you’re a hero who has “changed the game” until all the other sportsball coaches pick up on what you’re doing and try to employ the same tactics or come up with something to counter them, and then you’re just marginally better than where you started off, or you use it until your strat crashes and burns, leading to the commentators to say it was trash all along.

You gotta have the right confluence of factors for something like that to work out, even if the stats say that you will get marginally better utility from doing so; most people will hold off until they know that what they’re trying to do is pretty much a silver bullet. Kinda like James, since people have tried to employ his strats before (and now against him), but he’s got the trivia recall, buzzer speed, and killer instinct on bets to make it all work better than his competitors. Former champs went down a similar route (Alex Jacob, Buzzy Cohen, Arthur Chu, Matt Jackson, Austin Rogers, etc), but James just picked up what they were putting down, put his own spin on it, and made it work better than anyone else has.

Until James inevitably flies too close to the sun and misses a big bet that’s too late in the game to recover from, he’ll keep winning, and spawn imitators who can’t do it as well as he can, until someone else with the same or similar right confluence of factors who can perform almost as well as he can (but not completely to his level) will build on his strats for his own run of success (albeit not on reaching his heights), and people will say that the paradigm has shifted again, or there’s been a second coming, or whatever.

But others will keep playing the same conservative game that served some other champs (like Julia Collins or Kristin Sausville or Ben Ingram) and most one to two game winners so well, and the viewers that James attracted with his run will complain it’s boring to go back to same old, same old. Just, they know they don’t have the chops to make James’ strat work, so they don’t try it; same with not hunting DDs, not Forrest Bouncing, and taking categories from the top down in order like most do. They don’t have to be James, no matter how some might want to see them try to be, because they know it won’t work for them, and that’s ok. They’ll just win a smaller amount of money than him, get their television exposure, and go home, content that they’ve made it on the show and not made a fool of themselves (or if they got blown out, especially by James, that at least they made it to the show anyway).

Wow, this got a lot longer than I meant it to be...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 26, 2019

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It took a long time for football coaches to start going for it on 4th down more (and they still should do it more). It will be a long time again till going for two points every time becomes acceptable and won't get a coach fired.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Ambrose Bierce posted:

'You acted unwisely,' I cried, 'as you see
By the outcome.' He calmly eyed me:
'When choosing the course of my action,' said he,
'I had not the outcome to guide me.'

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

zakharov posted:

I loved having people on the internet talk about how much of a numbskull I was for not doing math right under the most intense pressure of my life.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah, but how loudly did you click the button?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

MorgaineDax posted:

Yeah, but how loudly did you click the button?

Very politely. I respect the game.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mennoknight posted:

I loved having people on the internet talk about how much of a numbskull I was for not doing math right under the most intense pressure of my life.

Well then stop being a numbskull, jerk! :colbert:

Just playing.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Everyone that makes it on Jeopardy is really freaking smart. So yeah I don't think anyone should sweat it. After all, everyone that ever gets on the show loses sooner or later, and the vast majority lose sooner. Getting on at all really is a fantastic achievement.

I can totally see how if I got on the show I would spend all of my prep time on the knowledge areas I was weakest, and then fumble on the betting strategy because doing arithmetic on an index card what, can't I have a slide rule or an abacus or something at least?

Edit: It's interesting how divisive James's run is. Pretty much everyone has a strong opinion. Either they're like me and they really like seeing someone just crush it, or they absolutely hate it and think it's totally boring. Both are valid opinions obviously, but I've only seen a couple people say yeah he's ok I guess it would be ok if he kept winning, or didn't, I just like couch playing. Of course we all like couch playing, right?

Edit edit: I'm really looking forward to the inevitable Ken, Brad, and James face-off. The answer writers are going to get to show off for that one.

User fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 28, 2019

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this has probably already been floated as a possible counter-strategy but has anyone tried to search out daily doubles to deny him his biggest cash spikes?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The problem is that he's so quick on the buzzer that he dominates the game.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

right, the person who did that would also have to emulate his buzzer strategy and be at least almost as good at the trivia as he is. meaning, don't hold your breath

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What if no one can beat James and he’s stuck on Jeopardy forever?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

R. Guyovich posted:

right, the person who did that would also have to emulate his buzzer strategy and be at least almost as good at the trivia as he is. meaning, don't hold your breath
We've seen two credible contenders in 28 games. He did a lot better psychologically with the first than the second. With Nate in the lead the other night, he was getting visibly agitated during the interview segment after the first commercial break and was rushing Alex to wrap it up so he could get back to playing. I'm confident that the first person to take him down isn't going to do it with DD hunting strategy (necessary but not sufficient), they're going to figure out how to mess with the pacing of the game in a way that pushes his buttons and makes him play like an idiot.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What if no one can beat James and he’s stuck on Jeopardy forever?

Ken Jennings looked just as invincible for most of his run and he eventually lost. The gaudy number totals are different but the domination is the same.

I think the big post James change we'll see more people going all in on the first DD. I don't think we'll see many more huge bets on the second and third. Most people don't have his confidence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jennings even lost on an easy final. it's possible something like that dooms james as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Groovelord Neato posted:

jennings even lost on an easy final. it's possible something like that dooms james as well.

Through 28 games, Ken missed 10 FJs, James has missed a grand total of one (and it was "were you cognizant of celebrities in 1982").

James is definitely beatable with enough skill and luck but it's unlikely he misses "H&R block" or whatever, someone will probably need to go into FJ leading to beat him