Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Yes I think it was a side bit in Storm of Iron. Lady gets in space armor goes of to murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Giving some thought to adding some women to my Black Legion - best part is it requires no explanation more in-depth than "chaos did it". Not that I owe anyone an explanation, but "the warp did it" is irrefutable.

That's actually a really good point, why aren't there any female chaos Marines? I mean, between the whole "beggars can't be choosers" for replenishing their numbers, warp mutations, Slaanish loving with their followers genders because they can, and Tzeench changing the genders because Tzeench, you would think we would have are least one female chaos marine.

I mean, there wouldn't be any noticable change on the minis, but AFAIK it's never really come up in the fluff either.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Randalor posted:

That's actually a really good point, why aren't there any female chaos Marines? I mean, between the whole "beggars can't be choosers" for replenishing their numbers, warp mutations, Slaanish loving with their followers genders because they can, and Tzeench changing the genders because Tzeench, you would think we would have are least one female chaos marine.

I mean, there wouldn't be any noticable change on the minis, but AFAIK it's never really come up in the fluff either.

Chaos still use sexist gene seeding.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My headcanon when I was in 40k poo poo was that Space Marines are gonna look like that after they integrate their stupid alien power-up glands even if they started out as ladies.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

Yeah, it's a strange thing given the nature of Chaos, but I agree that I've never been sure what people want from "female space marine" models. They're juiced-up muscle monsters in huge suits of power armor, it's not like there's a lot of sexual dimorphism or gender expression in that scenario.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Idk if I'm comfortable with little girls being abducted and tortured into fascist super soldiers but also give the people what they want I guess.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

Idk if I'm comfortable with little girls being abducted and tortured into fascist super soldiers but also give the people what they want I guess.

Women should obviously do their part for ethnic cleansing too.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I've never been sure what people want from "female space marine" models.

Sometimes, just the opportunity to not be denied being part of something because of our sex.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah, it's a strange thing given the nature of Chaos, but I agree that I've never been sure what people want from "female space marine" models. They're juiced-up muscle monsters in huge suits of power armor, it's not like there's a lot of sexual dimorphism or gender expression in that scenario.

Does the skull get transformed into a mans shape by default? Why would that be the case? I think insisting that Space Marines have to look like men because the fictional technology dictates it is extremely weak sauce.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 28, 2019

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Nessus posted:

My headcanon when I was in 40k poo poo was that Space Marines are gonna look like that after they integrate their stupid alien power-up glands even if they started out as ladies.

Honestly, I dislike the "Actually there are lady marines but they would 100% be facially hosed up" take as much as "no girl marines". There's been conventionally attractive (and not just in the square jawed he man way) looking marines in recent canon. I can totally buy kind of a square jawish but obviously feminine female marine. I'm thinking those cross fitter ladies, the competitive tiers tend toward the "juiced-up muscle monsters" area anyways.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 28, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is one of the areas where the fluff is really inconsistent with the presentation. If you try to do some real reading into how Space Marines work, a lot of the background suggests that they are recruited in early adolescence or even childhood because it allows the genemods to work more effectively; then they apparently train and drill 20 hours a day, sleep for 3.75, and get 15 minutes a day for 'introspection'. If you apply that framework, well, yea, probably any kid you recruit at 10 and subject to intense body modifications prior to puberty and then train relentlessly fro decades is going to end up as a sort of aggressively bulky meat potato.

But, for lots of the actual presentation, this is not at all what we are shown. For a lot of specific marines, their backstory isn't being scooped up at age 10 (because as a personal narrative that's disturbing as gently caress) it's usually late teens or even adulthood once they have distinguished themselves in some way. Then as marines, sure they train and fight hard, but they also apparently have time for whatever passes for their chapter's culture. If you look at the Space Wolves they definitely have time to have huge boozer parties. They also grow huge beards, muttonchops, and extravagant mustaches. They are very clearly coded as male. The Sanguinary Guard armor is clearly modeled off an idealized male form; it's not a reflection of what a marine might look like under their armor.

The background mechanics of becoming a marine are intended to impress how dramatic and difficult the process is, but everything we get in terms of narrative is that these are definitely a bunch of bros; they are not characterized as genderless, sexless, biohuman machines sculpted only for murder.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

See I used to assume this too but then I think of Fulgrim who's basically Griffith from Berserk and figure there's got to be some room in the geneseed for androgyny.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

The 20 hours a day thing is Codex marines only, I think woofs and others get extended sabbaticals to go dire woof hunting on the woof ice and etc etc.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The reason people want female space marines is simple: Space Marines are the iconic faction of the game. The GW excuse of "but Sisters of Battle" doesn't wash because Sisters of Battle aren't the first faction which springs to mind when you think 40K by any stretch of the imagination: for 99% of folks, it's the Space Marines, largely because that's how GW have marketed it.

As long as women are not represented within the game's iconic faction, it's always going to be that much harder to make the game feel inclusive.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
2022 - GW releases new Guard plastic kit with 50/50 gender split
2023 - Guard becomes the new "perspective faction" with Marines becoming occasional big-boy helpers in the background

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ashcans posted:

Then as marines, sure they train and fight hard, but they also apparently have time for whatever passes for their chapter's culture. If you look at the Space Wolves they definitely have time to have huge boozer parties. They also grow huge beards, muttonchops, and extravagant mustaches. They are very clearly coded as male.

The Wolves also recruit adults. Their whole recruitment method is to pick up deathworlders from the tribal society of Fenris who have distinguished themselves in the eyes of the Chapter, because nobody else would survive the initiation.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

My memory is that different books don't talk to each other that well. The cool 'we pick the hardest warriors from feudal worlds and make them SPACE KNIGHTS' thing is clearly favored in talking about heroic-ish Marine Chapters, while the dehumanizing child abduction and tons of failed candidates version shows up when the Imperium's evil is being emphasized. There's two different narrative goals, and two versions of 'what Space Marines are like.'

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Deified Data posted:

2022 - GW releases new Guard plastic kit with 50/50 gender split
2023 - Guard becomes the new "perspective faction" with Marines becoming occasional big-boy helpers in the background

I unironically would love this. To be honest, I don't think the bodies are too unwomanly, you'd probably only need more feminine heads. I haven't seen a decent set of helmeted female heads for 'guard online, though. Victoria Miniatures probably do some, but ordering from Australia to the UK...

The early Horus Heresy novels had a bit where a regular human noticed how hosed up Marines look out of their armour. Something to do with the gigantism (obviously different to how it appears in humans, as the Space Marine 'gigantism' is genetically altered to be more stable/not cause an early death and, frankly, weaponised) and how their ribs are more bone armour plates than actual ribs. As said earlier, it isn't shared among all the books.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

LashLightning posted:

I unironically would love this. To be honest, I don't think the bodies are too unwomanly, you'd probably only need more feminine heads. I haven't seen a decent set of helmeted female heads for 'guard online, though. Victoria Miniatures probably do some, but ordering from Australia to the UK...

The early Horus Heresy novels had a bit where a regular human noticed how hosed up Marines look out of their armour. Something to do with the gigantism (obviously different to how it appears in humans, as the Space Marine 'gigantism' is genetically altered to be more stable/not cause an early death and, frankly, weaponised) and how their ribs are more bone armour plates than actual ribs. As said earlier, it isn't shared among all the books.

Victoria, Staturesque, and a couple others do female imperial guard models and conversion bits now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Steel Legion sculpts have been 50% female from day one.
:colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

The Wolves also recruit adults. Their whole recruitment method is to pick up deathworlders from the tribal society of Fenris who have distinguished themselves in the eyes of the Chapter, because nobody else would survive the initiation.

I thought the Wolves recruited children, just that the criteria for recruitment was the same as their passage of "adulthood" that they take when they're... 12? 13? Either way, they're still preteens by our standards.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
40K Lorechat is not the topic of this thread.

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
lol for anyone who's been online around 2008 until today, the two topics are obviously intertwined though.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

We've been through the traditional "Is 40k fash?" to "Why no girl marines?" Next up: "Slaanesh and the overlap with things 4chan nerds get horny about"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ronwayne posted:

We've been through the traditional "Is 40k fash?" to "Why no girl marines?" Next up: "Slaanesh and the overlap with things 4chan nerds get horny about"

Hence me cutting it off.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
There's arguments to be made that putting a woman in a traditionally masculine violence role (ala GI Jane), is no less sexist than not doing that. You defeminize the woman while masculinising her violence. It's a sort of dehumanising change.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Edit : Nevermind, it's not worth the blood pressure and Beer is cutting off the discussion anyways

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 29, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Marneus Calgar: what makes a space marine, Mr Cawl? Is it the will to carry the light of the emperor, whatever the cost? Isn't that what makes a space marine?

Bellisarius Cawl: Um sure... That and a pair of testicles.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Kokoro Wish posted:

There's arguments to be made that putting a woman in a traditionally masculine violence role (ala GI Jane), is no less sexist than not doing that. You defeminize the woman while masculinising her violence. It's a sort of dehumanising change.

What, because it would "taint" her precious womanhood with violence, and violence for some reason being inherently masculine? I clearly do not agree. Is an Amazon less of a woman?

What is a "traditional masculine violence role", and why would putting a woman there not automatically, per definition, remove the "traditional masculine" part?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
That was a bad framing on my part and I apologise.

I mean this argument within the space largely of male focussed, male gazey creation, like some film (hence the mention of GI Jane) or a game like Warhammer 40k. Largely it's a male focussed version of the woman in the military. Either it's they become "one of the guys" ("suck my dick") a variant on "one of the good ones" where she entirely sublimates herself to male judgement of value where her womanhood is only a facile cosmetic difference after stripping herself of as many gender signifiers as possible, or a sexualized male fantasy version of a woman soldier, ala old Sister of Battle or Clan Escher. Both of these are male oriented fantasies, one of submission and the other of sexualization.

What I am saying is that if not handled well, keeping in mind why the woman as a person would do what she's doing, male nerds are largely going to go to one of these kinds of tropes. What they're doing with the new Sisters of Battle to de-token/male gaze them will be interesting to watch, but unless it's handled with care I don't think just making female chapters of space marines, without their own motivations in this male power fantasy created universe is necessarily an answer, especially if it falls into that first trope.

I guess it came out the way it did because I was trying to avoid referencing 40k again, even though it's a post involving it that spurred my response. Plus really is largely a film/cinema focussed critique. Again, apologies.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 29, 2019

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Aha, ok good. Now I agree with you for what it's worth.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

That was a bad framing on my part and I apologise.

I mean this argument within the space largely of male focussed, male gazey creation, like some film (hence the mention of GI Jane) or a game like Warhammer 40k. Largely it's a male focussed version of the woman in the military. Either it's they become "one of the guys" ("suck my dick") a variant on "one of the good ones" where she entirely sublimates herself to male judgement of value where her womanhood is only a facile cosmetic difference after stripping herself of as many gender signifiers as possible, or a sexualized male fantasy version of a woman soldier, ala old Sister of Battle or Clan Escher. Both of these are male oriented fantasies, one of submission and the other of sexualization.

What I am saying is that if not handled well, keeping in mind why the woman as a person would do what she's doing, male nerds are largely going to go to one of these kinds of tropes. What they're doing with the new Sisters of Battle to de-token/male gaze them will be interesting to watch, but unless it's handled with care I don't think just making female chapters of space marines, without their own motivations in this male power fantasy created universe is necessarily an answer, especially if it falls into that first trope.

I guess it came out the way it did because I was trying to avoid referencing 40k again, even though it's a post involving it that spurred my response. Plus really is largely a film/cinema focussed critique. Again, apologies.

How do you resolve/navigate the issue then? What would be a male presentation of a woman combatant that isn't either of those things?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ronwayne posted:

How do you resolve/navigate the issue then? What would be a male presentation of a woman combatant that isn't either of those things?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Yes, this is actually one of the top examples in film.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Yes, but this is a broken comparison. In reality, female soldiers or marines just look like soldiers or marines when in combat dress. From a game POV, "this female Space Marine is a space marine with a female head who's a little shorter" exactly matches reality, and in no way has anything to do with the male gaze.

Combat heels are garbage in every way, but games don't cover personal lives, where female soldiers are regular women. From tradgames, male and female being more or less identical is spot on. Their identity is "soldier"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm willing to allow this conversation to continue if someone would please explain to me how it's relevant to the topic of fascism in traditional gaming.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ronwayne posted:

Look to real world examples of women who fight.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm willing to allow this conversation to continue if someone would please explain to me how it's relevant to the topic of fascism in traditional gaming.

Fascism and sexism are inextricably intertwined.

How women are represented in games is important. If they're competent protagonists, good! If they're helpless objects or sex toys, not good, and there's something that needs fixed.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Cessna posted:

How women are represented in games is important. If they're competent protagonists, good! If they're helpless objects or sex toys, not good, and there's something that needs fixed.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Cessna posted:

Traditionally "fascism" meant ultra nationalism, with authoritarian (often centralized) control over a strongly regimented society and economy.

It's absolutely correct to say that sexism is intertwined with fascism because regimentation of society basically always included telling women what to do (comfort the manly men and have their babies to make the country stronger). But basically all cultures and systems of government had the same sexist trait - and to a certain extent still do. So while it's a fundamental part of facsim, sexism is not a defining feature. Equating sexism with fascism lets non-fascist sexist societies off the hook.

Also a sexism in tabletop gaming thread could easily stand on its own.