Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's visually busy for sure. lotta clutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://readms.net/r/csm/23/5893/1
Chainsawman

:stare:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Enter the rival Sabreman

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

:suspense:

I don't know what to think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know what to think and that is: chainsawman is really good

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Rip and tear!!!!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Did

Did the B cast get iced offscreen?
And lol that Swordman is absolutely the exact opposite of Denji.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

drat son

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like WSJ has been really great in the post-"big 3" era. A lot of the new series have been both good and unique.

I think this recent Chainsawman chapter is the first one to not end on an off-kilter joke.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Don't know if this is the right thread. But I kinda been getting back into reading manga's again. I am currently reading Toriko, I have also started Baki, Kingdoms, Vangabond but not gone that far. Other manga's I've enjoyed in the past Vinland Saga, Berserk, Claymore, One Piece, HxH, Jojo.

I was wondering if there any good shounen manga that have no anime adaptations that are worth checking out, preferably more recent and ongoing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ulio posted:

Don't know if this is the right thread. But I kinda been getting back into reading manga's again. I am currently reading Toriko, I have also started Baki, Kingdoms, Vangabond but not gone that far. Other manga's I've enjoyed in the past Vinland Saga, Berserk, Claymore, One Piece, HxH, Jojo.

I was wondering if there any good shounen manga that have no anime adaptations that are worth checking out, preferably more recent and ongoing.

If you are already reading Baki, check Kengan Ashura, it's better in every way.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

If you are already reading Baki, check Kengan Ashura, it's better in every way.

Is it absurd like Baki or more realistic?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

definitely absurd

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Absurd, but in service to a cool story instead of 'Invincible Punchmans are Our Rightful Lords and Masters vol. 136'. Also, women exist and occasionally do things.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's absurd in a different way but yeah it's definitely Baki as hell. It unfortunately doesn't have poo poo like "Main character fights an imaginary praying mantis" or "Miyamoto Musashi resurrected with the power of cloning technology and voodoo can swing an imaginary sword at you so well that you become convinced that you're dead and fall unconscious" but it has some real good poo poo.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mary Annette posted:

Absurd, but in service to a cool story instead of 'Invincible Punchmans are Our Rightful Lords and Masters vol. 136'. Also, women exist and occasionally do things.

Also please, women exist in Baki. Sometimes they are wives and girlfriends who are rarely seen or women who are killed/raped to push one of our fight gods' stories.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ulio posted:

A lot of stuff currently running in WSJ is really good. Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen (I really like this one), Black Clover, Promised Neverland, and Chainsawman are all really good (I'd probably put Black Clover as the weakest among those bunch, though it's still pretty solid as a shounen series).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

black clover is like a less horny fairy tail. fun in the moment but it's really shallow and generic. I can't remember most of what's happened at this point

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

black clover is like a less horny fairy tail. fun in the moment but it's really shallow and generic. I can't remember most of what's happened at this point
the current arc has been going on for well over a year at this point and it's kinda mind-numbing at this point

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I have completely lost track of what happened in Black Clover. I don't give a poo poo about these new characters, I have no idea who is who anymore and I kinda want Asta to OP his way through this arc so we can get back on track.

The Last Saiyuki is really good. But it only has 12 chapters so far and I get the feeling it's not doing too well sadly.

Dr Stone is also highly recommended. Though that is getting an anime next season.
There is also a lot of My Hero Academia that has not been adapted into the anime yet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i wish Black Clover was more interesting because sword wizards are extremely my poo poo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mulderman posted:

Dr Stone is also highly recommended. Though that is getting an anime next season.
There is also a lot of My Hero Academia that has not been adapted into the anime yet.

Oh yeah, forgot Dr. Stone and My Hero Academia somehow. Both of those are also good (especially Dr. Stone).

Black Clover is definitely the worst among the ones I listed (plus the couple I forget to list), but it'd still normally be considered an "above-average" shounen. It's just that there's a bunch of even better stuff running right now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Black Clover started off strong and has some really likeable characters and a strong core cast.
but then did the Bleach thing of introducing a MILLION more characters and the author feels the need to give them all screentime.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Unlike Bleach, however, I like most of Black Clover's characters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

most of bleach's cast are wasted potential or kinda lame but at least I can remember who they are. imo black clover is more inoffensive than likable most of the time

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

New Majo no Kaigashuu (The bloody paintings one)
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/majo-no-kaigashuu/en/0/3/page/1

No sir, I dont like this. Not one bit.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
oh good nihei shoehorned bathtub peeping into aposimz as well

i was worried

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Black Clover suffers from the weekly format, I think. If it was bi-weekly or even monthly, I think the story would flow much better.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

A lot of stuff currently running in WSJ is really good. Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen (I really like this one), Black Clover, Promised Neverland, and Chainsawman are all really good (I'd probably put Black Clover as the weakest among those bunch, though it's still pretty solid as a shounen series).

Ah I don't know the Jump stuff is hit or miss for me. I find a lot of the things on Jump enjoyable but most of it is super generic. I guess that is what the editors are going for, most mass appeal stuff. I kinda worry for them once Oda decides to end OP.

Kengan Ashura though seems right up my alley of more hosed up and weird series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you should prob read chainsaw man if you're gonna ready anything in jump then imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ulio posted:

Ah I don't know the Jump stuff is hit or miss for me. I find a lot of the things on Jump enjoyable but most of it is super generic. I guess that is what the editors are going for, most mass appeal stuff. I kinda worry for them once Oda decides to end OP.

Kengan Ashura though seems right up my alley of more hosed up and weird series.

Yeah but for the genre and the magazine as a whole it's been much better ever since the end of Bleach and Naruto, and Dr. Stone, Promised Neverland, and Chainsaw man (and potentially Jujutsu Kaisen depending on where it goes in the future) are less generic than One Piece, though I'm aware that might be a controversial opinion (I've never really understood the perception of One Piece as being anything other than "a good shounen manga").

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
One Piece is the dictionary definition of why shonen manga tropes work and will always be popular

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There’s been Goldfish apocalypse manga,Chicken apocalypse manga, and now there’s... Clothing apocalypse manga? I suspect it’s just an excuse to get the female characters naked.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

RatHat posted:

There’s been Goldfish apocalypse manga,Chicken apocalypse manga, and now there’s... Clothing apocalypse manga? I suspect it’s just an excuse to get the female characters naked.

Kill la Kill season 2 looking good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mary Annette posted:

Honestly, I can't get mad at Baki's politics simply because they're so inherently out-there that I can't see them ever having any serious influence. Like, nobody except Itagaki thinks that karate should literally rule the Earth, and I'm not even sure HE thinks that given how most of Yujiro's actions are framed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

On this Chapter of Edens Zero (god I do not know why I follow this. maybe because its there and on jaiminis)

Jetstream Samantha!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

On this Chapter of Edens Zero (god I do not know why I follow this. maybe because its there and on jaiminis)

Jetstream Samantha!

Maybe because it's been kind of stupid fun so far? Weis was pretty funny.
Provided he doesn't spend a chapter melting clothes and doing bondage shots.

Also, that design is super blatant.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I appreciate Edens Zero's dedication to being its own stupid self.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Of course the girl gets hit by clothes dissolving slime.
Then again, at this point I've come to expect dumb poo poo like that. Getting mad at Hiro for being thirsty and wanting to draw titties and pantyshots, would be like getting mad at a dog for wanting to fetch a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i gave up on mashima when he started delving into gross rapey bsdm poo poo.