Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Vinylshadow posted:

"What if the Empire wasn't really evil per se, but still an Empire?"

Captain Splendid posted:

The original one was basically Red Baron in spaaaace before Resistance did the same thing.

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

galagazombie posted:

Thread seems to have come to the consensus that the plot and setting of TFA only works in the context of "It's there because it was there in ANH." If the Republic was so weak as to be that easily toppled the FO wouldn't have needed to secretly build Starkiller Base in hiding. If the Republic wasn't that weak then Starkiller base would not have destroyed it in a single attack. If however, the Republic and Starkiller Base are just Alderaan and the Death Star with the numbers filed off, it makes perfect sense.
There are a lot of problems with TFA not making it clear what the galactic situation at the time the movie starts is. When I first watched it I assumed Corescant was one of the planets that got blown up by Starkiller Base, but I had to go read some things online that explained that no, it was the rotating capital of the Republic and also that Leia’s group was just some kind of weird thing that she commanded.

It’s never clear what happened to all of the other Republic forces besides the ones that got blown up by Starkiller

Then again Snoke was never explained either

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Baron Fel was the bestest most killingest pilot in the Empire, and married a famous actress who was secretly Wedge Antilles' sister. After the Emperor died, he decided the Empire had become too corrupt, and he defected to the New Republic.

Then he got recaptured by the Empire, and handed over to Grand Admiral Thrawn, the other most smartest and best Imperial in the galaxy. Thrawn told him that the Empire is actually the good guys now, and that the real enemy is all the bad hombres looking to hop the galactic border wall to take everyone's jobs.

Then when the bad hombres showed up, and original recipe Kylo Ren turned the New Republic into a total shitshow, Fel and his handsome ace pilot son showed up and were like "Anyone want an Empire?".
Fel's son married Han & Leia's daughter and then a hundred years later one of his descendants got really pissed off because a Sand Person took his throne.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Robot Style posted:

Baron Fel was the bestest most killingest pilot in the Empire, and married a famous actress who was secretly Wedge Antilles' sister. After the Emperor died, he decided the Empire had become too corrupt, and he defected to the New Republic.

Then he got recaptured by the Empire, and handed over to Grand Admiral Thrawn, the other most smartest and best Imperial in the galaxy. Thrawn told him that the Empire is actually the good guys now, and that the real enemy is all the bad hombres looking to hop the galactic border wall to take everyone's jobs.

Then when the bad hombres showed up, and original recipe Kylo Ren turned the New Republic into a total shitshow, Fel and his handsome ace pilot son showed up and were like "Anyone want an Empire?".
Fel's son married Han & Leia's daughter and then a hundred years later one of his descendants got really pissed off because a Sand Person took his throne.

The EU is garbage

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whats mind blowing is the new EU is just as bad but in less time

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

Whats mind blowing is the new EU is just as bad but in less time

I think because the old EU tried new things, whereas the new EU is trying old things again but bigger and in your face. It's like Poochie, and it needs to go away.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
For all its terribleness the sheer volume of the old EU meant that there was a fair amount of good stuff in it through sheer statistical chance. Most especially the Dark Horse comics which had great things like the fantastical Tales of the Jedi and Jedi vs. Sith or the gritty Clone Wars issues between AotC and RotS. If Disney's tenure produces anything good it will probably take quite awhile for the math to allow a critical mass of non-garbage material.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

galagazombie posted:

Thread seems to have come to the consensus that the plot and setting of TFA only works in the context of "It's there because it was there in ANH." If the Republic was so weak as to be that easily toppled the FO wouldn't have needed to secretly build Starkiller Base in hiding. If the Republic wasn't that weak then Starkiller base would not have destroyed it in a single attack. If however, the Republic and Starkiller Base are just Alderaan and the Death Star with the numbers filed off, it makes perfect sense.

It’s mind boggling that they can make a Star Wars trilogy where the actual Star War is so poorly defined.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

General Dog posted:

It’s mind boggling that they can make a Star Wars trilogy where the actual Star War is so poorly defined.

It really wouldn't have taken much to fix that, especially in a movie series where there is an opening screen crawl before anything even happens.

But no.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

It really wouldn't have taken much to fix that, especially in a movie series where there is an opening screen crawl before anything even happens.

But no.

It's pretty amusing how both the ST and the PT have a decision you can point at and say "if they hadn't done that, the story probably would've been significantly better."

In the ST it's easily the decision to ignore ROTJ and go straight to Rebelsresistance against EmpireFirst Order.
For the PT it's probably making Anakin a 9 year old.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Darth TNT posted:

It's pretty amusing how both the ST and the PT have a decision you can point at and say "if they hadn't done that, the story probably would've been significantly better."

In the ST it's easily the decision to ignore ROTJ and go straight to Rebelsresistance against EmpireFirst Order.
For the PT it's probably making Anakin a 9 year old.
Lucas making Anakin a young child (as opposed to a teenager) is a decision that still totally mystifies me. A teen Anakin would have 1: had a much wider pool of available actors, so he could have found someone better than Jake Lloyd, and 2: made it at least halfway plausible that he could have built a sentient humanoid robot and a loving jet-powered flying racing car that can beat everything else on the track. Hell, it would have given Lucas a chance to relive his beloved American Graffiti hot rod culture, but in spaaaaace! Then you've got the potential for age-appropriate 'lady and the tramp' flirting between Padme and Anakin, you can establish that Anakin has the potential for going to the Dark Side within him because he's a goddamn teenager... (To me, Anakin not using the Force rather than a stick with a magnet on to pull his engine back into place - and then using it to take revenge on Sebulba - was a huge missed opportunity. Qui-Gon would actually then have something concrete on which to base his feeling that Anakin could become a powerful Jedi if he could be properly trained and his anger controlled, rather than just "Hmm, I sense a high midichlorian count.")

But nope, young child Anakin is perfect in every way and is played by a kid with very limited range, with a director famously bad at offering guidance to actors. I honestly think that if Anakin had been portrayed more strongly, audiences would have been far more willing to forgive Jar Jar.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Lloyd's performance aside I like Anakin starting as a perfectly innocent kid, it makes his transition into a weirdo more obviously the Jedi Order's fault.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Yes, the story that's actually told isn’t one where a Jedi discovers a powerful but dangerous young man and trains him despite the risk. Instead he finds an innocent who is coping remarkably well with a terrible situation and inadvertently destroys that person.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zoran posted:

Yes, the story that's actually told isn’t one where a Jedi discovers a powerful but dangerous young man and trains him despite the risk. Instead he finds an innocent who is coping remarkably well with a terrible situation and inadvertently destroys that person.

To be fair Qui-Gon didn't ruin Anakin since he died. Obi-Wan himself seems pretty sure that it was himself who failed Anakin, though I think the Orders failings can be given a large part of the blame. Qui-Gon is portrayed as someone who has issues with Order orthodoxy, so maybe had he not gotten stabbed Anakin would have had a more healthy mental state.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Qui Gon was a loon and a cheat who was wrong at practically every turn.

Obi Wan senses the phantom menace in the first two minutes and Qui Gon tells him to shut up and focus on bullying aliens and fighting robots.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Qui-Gon became culpable when he took Anakin off the planet despite The Force repeatedly giving him signs that he should not do that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Uncle Owen was right about everything

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Anakin should have started training at like 18. That would have lined up with Yoda's fear about Luke and also added some plausibility to him turning, oh and also allowed him and Obi Wan to have a better friend/master relationship.

I'm still mad they made the Jedi into flawed bureaucrats though so w/e.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

galagazombie posted:

To be fair Qui-Gon didn't ruin Anakin since he died. Obi-Wan himself seems pretty sure that it was himself who failed Anakin, though I think the Orders failings can be given a large part of the blame. Qui-Gon is portrayed as someone who has issues with Order orthodoxy, so maybe had he not gotten stabbed Anakin would have had a more healthy mental state.

Obi-Wan also doesn't seem really thrilled to train Anakin. They don't really seem to ever get along. Anakin might be a creepy weirdo, but I'm sure having Obi-Wan cut him down (lol) whenever anyone compliments him doesn't help.

Random Stranger: *To Anakin* "Thank you for helping us, Master Jedi."

Obi-Wan: *To Stranger* "Well, actually...he's just a Padawan. My Padawan. He's not a Jedi yet."

Anakin: *Dark Side Intensifies*

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

If anything, the Jedi could have been more like that. Anakin's confessional scene with Yoda kind of feels like a watered down version of the one from THX-1138, but lacks a real sense that Anakin just isn't getting anything useful from Yoda's fortune cookie platitudes.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Obi-Wan also doesn't seem really thrilled to train Anakin. They don't really seem to ever get along. Anakin might be a creepy weirdo, but I'm sure having Obi-Wan cut him down (lol) whenever anyone compliments him doesn't help.

Random Stranger: *To Anakin* "Thank you for helping us, Master Jedi."

Obi-Wan: *To Stranger* "Well, actually...he's just a Padawan. My Padawan. He's not a Jedi yet."

Anakin: *Dark Side Intensifies*

And he was a good friend

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

And he was a good friend

lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

his future wife is the one that says this lol. Obi does chastise him like a child in front of her earlier though.

Obi's promotion to knighthood and taking on a padawan happens all at once and only after they hastily honor the dying wish of the first guy in their organization to get killed in the line of duty by their old nemesis. They are resistant to both ideas earlier in the film. It's really weird that they make the rare exception to their admission age rules and then also pair him up with someone who has basically just graduated. They're all dumb

Woulda loved to see Luke's face when he found out about Quigon whilst watching the PT

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oQtGCtnF2Y

Star Wars now fixed.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

his future wife is the one that says this lol. Obi does chastise him like a child in front of her earlier though.

Obi's promotion to knighthood and taking on a padawan happens all at once and only after they hastily honor the dying wish of the first guy in their organization to get killed in the line of duty by their old nemesis. They are resistant to both ideas earlier in the film. It's really weird that they make the rare exception to their admission age rules and then also pair him up with someone who has basically just graduated. They're all dumb

Woulda loved to see Luke's face when he found out about Quigon whilst watching the PT

Lol, I forgot that Padme says that. Doesn't Obi-Wan say something like that, too? I remember that he rubs it in during the Battle of Geonosis when Anakin suggests something to the clones that works, and Obi-Wan follows up with, "Good job, my Padawan Learner."

Obi-Wan is such a massive dickhead, and I wish we were getting a Qui-Gon movie instead.

That lightsaber duel is very :discourse:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looking more into the Han is the father rumor, apparently Making Star Wars was just talking about it as a rumor going around, not that any of their sources have said it. They asked their sources but got nothing saying it had any validity.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ingmar terdman posted:

They don't make an exception and pair them up, Obi Wan (a good lad who means well) puts his foot down and says he's going to do it regardless of what they think, because he made a promise to his idiot mentor.

Short of locking him up in Jedi Jail (a real thing in the EU look it up) what was Yoda going to do to stop them? He repeats his official disapproval for the record and gets on with his life.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's p cool that when Last Jedi came out people were mad that they didn't reveal the mysterious string pulling big bad to be some dude from another movie adding nothing to the story, and then half a year later when the mysterious string pulling big bad turned out to be some dude from another movie adding nothing to the story everyone was also mad

sassassin posted:

They don't make an exception and pair them up, Obi Wan (a good lad who means well) puts his foot down and says he's going to do it regardless of what they think, because he made a promise to his idiot mentor.

Ah yeah true. This makes Yoda's reply that the council agrees with Obi kinda fun. I am the council, Sheev is the senate

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 28, 2019

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, I forgot that Padme says that. Doesn't Obi-Wan say something like that, too? I remember that he rubs it in during the Battle of Geonosis when Anakin suggests something to the clones that works, and Obi-Wan follows up with, "Good job, my Padawan Learner."

That's actually Obi-Wan giving a compliment; "Good call, my young Padawan". He says "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice" when Anakin thinks he's better than Yoda at lightsabering, and also some similar stuff when Anakin's trying to impress Padme by apparently exceeding their mandate early in the film.

The way that scene plays out is that it starts with Obi-Wan and Anakin in the elevator with a bit of friendly joking and stuff, and then when they meet Padme, Anakin starts acting in a way Obi-Wan clearly isn't used to. The idea isn't that they're acting like that towards each other all the time, though I hear some people read it as Obi-Wan was actually also trying to impress Padme by showing who's in charge...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Moby Wan Kenobi

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mooey Cow posted:

That's actually Obi-Wan giving a compliment; "Good call, my young Padawan". He says "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice" when Anakin thinks he's better than Yoda at lightsabering, and also some similar stuff when Anakin's trying to impress Padme by apparently exceeding their mandate early in the film.

The way that scene plays out is that it starts with Obi-Wan and Anakin in the elevator with a bit of friendly joking and stuff, and then when they meet Padme, Anakin starts acting in a way Obi-Wan clearly isn't used to. The idea isn't that they're acting like that towards each other all the time, though I hear some people read it as Obi-Wan was actually also trying to impress Padme by showing who's in charge...

I see your point with the lightsabering, but whenever I watch Ep II the "Good call, my young Padawan" sounds like Obi-Wan rubbing the difference in. I always felt like Qui-Gon treated Obi-Wan with a little more respect, but that could just be my own bias.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Good call my young padawan seems genuine. The Jedi have literally just assumed commanding officer roles in a star war pretty much out of the blue and Ani makes a good call on knowing where to laser some bad spaceship

People might be conflating it with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izB1ZzAGfEU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

Anakin read it that way for sure.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

Anakin should have started training at like 18. That would have lined up with Yoda's fear about Luke and also added some plausibility to him turning, oh and also allowed him and Obi Wan to have a better friend/master relationship.

jedi are an analogue for contemporary (late 90s) technocrats; well-intentioned dipshits unable to see the irony of living in a temple at the heart of power

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don’t know I get the sense that Anakin would have become an incel if he’d stayed on Tattooine.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

porfiria posted:

I don’t know I get the sense that Anakin would have become an incel if he’d stayed on Tattooine.

That would be so wizard.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

It's p cool that when Last Jedi came out people were mad that they didn't reveal the mysterious string pulling big bad to be some dude from another movie adding nothing to the story, and then half a year later when the mysterious string pulling big bad turned out to be some dude from another movie adding nothing to the story everyone was also mad

Ah yeah true. This makes Yoda's reply that the council agrees with Obi kinda fun. I am the council, Sheev is the senate

Different people. The guy i worked with that was mad that Rogue One and Last Jedi didn't follow the A New Hope template with big station and lightsaber battle at the end, ie. Return of the Jedi, thinks that this movie is finally back to form. The people that liked TLJ or at least liked that it attempted to try to go somewhere else are the ones I see mad at this.

I think the crossover are people that just hate Rey as a protagonist and want this whole trilogy to fail.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

KaptainKrunk posted:

jedi are an analogue for contemporary (late 90s) technocrats; well-intentioned dipshits unable to see the irony of living in a temple at the heart of power

Yeah but before the prequels they were a mystical order of warrior monks and more importantly unambiguously good and right.

E: which makes a better epic story imo than this namby-pamby "there must be balance between light and darkness" nonsense they've ran with since then

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Darko posted:

Different people. The guy i worked with that was mad that Rogue One and Last Jedi didn't follow the A New Hope template with big station and lightsaber battle at the end, ie. Return of the Jedi, thinks that this movie is finally back to form. The people that liked TLJ or at least liked that it attempted to try to go somewhere else are the ones I see mad at this.

I think the crossover are people that just hate Rey as a protagonist and want this whole trilogy to fail.
Rey is the least interesting of the new characters and I don’t put that on Daisy Ridley, I fault the writing and total lack of a plan for where this trilogy is going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I fault the writing and total lack of a plan for where this trilogy is going

I don't get this criticism at all. It's not like Lucas wasn't pulling everything out of his rear end on the original trilogy.