Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Funky Valentine posted:

My belief is that dating Takemi will ultimately end with Maaku waking up vivisected on an operating table and his lungs missing.
When he woke up, his skeleton was missing, and the doctor was never heard from again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

PMush Perfect posted:

When he woke up, his skeleton was missing, and the doctor was never heard from again!

Maaku: Kill me.
Takemi: Later.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
When Maaku said he would give Takemi his heart, he didn't think she would take that so literally

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Funky Valentine posted:

Maaku: Kill me.
Takemi: Later.

Unfortunately, her Tarot card isn't about physical death.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

It probably helps that this is 100% optional content? Even if you’re going completionist, you don’t have to pursue any of these routes at all and they’re kind of insignificant in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion. Anyway, this game is already kind of a power fantasy for its target demographic of older teenage boys (game has a CERO C rating in Japan, which is meant for ages 15+), and I kind of see these options as an extension of that power fantasy. I’m not saying its good that you can engage in them in-game and they are wrong, but I could also understand the appeal for someone of that age.

If this really wanted to be a power fantasy, it'd give you the option to date the guys too.

Arist posted:

Excuse me!? Can you at least phrase it in a kinder manner? Nevertheless, I expected your chosen company to be more eloquent.

Is "eccentric" really that rude a term? It just seems like eccentric is already a gentler word to describe someone rather than, say, freak or weirdo or deviant.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Pththya-lyi posted:

When Maaku said he would give Takemi his heart, he didn't think she would take that so literally

Tae is the best phantom thief.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

My belief is that dating Takemi will ultimately end with Maaku waking up vivisected on an operating table and his lungs missing.
I am not sure I want to see Katsura Hashino's remake of Crank.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All I'm saying is can we maybe keep our teenage power fantasies limited to being able to fight a kaiju or giant robot naturally, or perhaps single-handedly hold up a mansion so your friends can save the children inside?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Making friends with everyone is a huge part of the game now, it's just that for some reason the game pushes you to bed the entire female half.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And only the female half! :argh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

there was someone earlier in the thread who did (and defending other gross poo poo) because Glorious Nippon, but they got more or less chased out.

And I'll do it again if need be :toughguy:

Although that duder's issue was some bug up his rear end about trans people, which was mildly more mundane than... this. Speaking of which.

Lord_Magmar posted:

it’s Ephebophilia

I'm not going to probate you for this, but HOOOOLY poo poo never wander down this garden path again and pray to god that Sally or Fedule don't come along and choose to act otherwise.

Jesus Christ :stare:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Good thing that it’s Ephebophilia anyway

People have already said this, including a mod, but yeah, never go down this path again, as it always leads to people making terrible arguments looking to justify some incredibly skeevy poo poo.

PMush Perfect posted:

And only the female half! :argh:

Unfortunately, Japan still thinks the gays are too icky to be the protag in a mainstream game like this...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah sorry, lesson learnt. I was merely asking for accuracy in complaints about skeevy poo poo, not saying it isn't skeevy.

RareAcumen posted:

All I'm saying is can we maybe keep our teenage power fantasies limited to being able to fight a kaiju or giant robot naturally, or perhaps single-handedly hold up a mansion so your friends can save the children inside?

I agree with this stance extremely hard. Mostly because that was my teenage power fantasies.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah sorry, lesson learnt. I was merely asking for accuracy in complaints about skeevy poo poo, not saying it isn't skeevy.

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Look, it's not clinically relevant. It's not socially relevant. Why do you care about the distinction between general child abuse and specifically teenager abuse enough to try for clarification? It's gross either way, and nitpicking this poo poo is poo poo only gross people do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Aerdan posted:

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Look, it's not clinically relevant. It's not socially relevant. Why do you care about the distinction between general child abuse and specifically teenager abuse enough to try for clarification? It's gross either way, and nitpicking this poo poo is poo poo only gross people do.

Because I'm exactly the sort of person who cares about linguistic accuracy when I dislike things, and I do dislike the romances with Takemi and Kawakami from an in universe standpoint even if I personally, outside of the character of the protagonist and the context of the relationships in universe, find both attractive.

Kawakami is like, 4 different ways of being terrible as a romance in this game. She's in a position of power, she's several years older, the protagonist is in possession of information that could literally end her career and it's incredibly tone deaf given the first major boss is a male teacher using his position to force himself on teenagers. She's frankly flat out the worst adult romance in this game and it's not even close.

Takemi is similarly terrible on about 3? levels that I can think of.

There's probably more reasons that both are terrible romantic relationships to be written in the game, these are just off the top of my head.

But that doesn't mean I can't recognise that there is not just the gross parts, in both cases the protagonist has to initiate the romance at all, otherwise it doesn't even exist. It's a power fantasy for teenage/young males. So on and so forth.

So I wish the adult romances weren't in the game, I think the game is legit weaker because of them. But I'm not going to just go all out on hating the game and be inaccurate about what is going on in them. The more accurate you are the better you can explain why they're bad, because they're severely bad. Same as dating Futaba.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
You can just stop, you know.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

YaketySass posted:

Making friends with everyone is a huge part of the game now, it's just that for some reason the game pushes you to bed the entire female half.

At least it isn’t P3 where you couldn’t finish a female link without inducting her into your harem.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

YaketySass posted:

At least bedding them is only an option in this game. Unlike in Persona 3 where you are forced to sleep with every female Social Link in order to complete them. Because apparently the director didn't believe that platonic relationships with the opposite sex exist??? :ughh:

E: Beaten

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 28, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

More :words: about the linguistical nuances of Ephebophilia

Just. loving. STOP. Or get out of this thread. Take your pick, I'm in a coin flip mood today.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder if The Royal will go out its way to make that cutscene with Haru in the car actually jive with the rest of the plot.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Blue Labrador posted:

I wonder if The Royal will go out its way to make that cutscene with Haru in the car actually jive with the rest of the plot.

I'm half expecting that the new content will make the game feel even more disjointed.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

I'm half expecting that the new content will make the game feel even more disjointed.

Now that you mention it, that would be peak Atlus, huh? Maybe give or take some cast changes that don't jive well because of union issues too.

I get that it's not Atlus' fault, but Teddie just getting a worse voice actor in P4 Golden still upsets me to an irregular degree. He's already an unbearable character, he needs all the help he can get :ohdear:

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 28, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Blue Labrador posted:

I get that it's not Atlus' fault, but Teddie just getting a worse voice actor in P4 Golden still upsets me to an irregular degree. He's already an unbearable character, he needs all the help he can get :ohdear:

Sam Riegel is an amazing voice actor. Fight me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if the takes get any hotter people are going to start saying they didn't like Nanako or some poo poo

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The character would have been better if Shadow Teddie had replaced regular Teddie and just become the Darkest Dungeon Narrator.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
For the record, I was talking about the ephebophilia guy. I got a bad feeling and wow, turns out! correct.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Remember when Satan used a bullet made of the Seven Deadly Sins to shoot God in the head? That was pretty cool right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll turn this car around I swear to god

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, uh, anyone seen that new Cake Knight movie?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Remember when Satan used a bullet made of the Seven Deadly Sins to shoot God in the head? That was pretty cool right?
It was, but given that the bosses represented the sins, not the party, it's still kind of a mess, thematically. It'd be a lot more meaningful if the party were positive representations of the sins (lust for life, pride in accolades well-earned, self-betterment fueled by envy, etc.) and the bosses were negative representations of the virtues.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Arist posted:

I'll turn this car around I swear to god

So uhhh, looking at Royal being announced, anything in particularly you're hoping they'll add?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

It was, but given that the bosses represented the sins, not the party, it's still kind of a mess, thematically. It'd be a lot more meaningful if the party were positive representations of the sins (lust for life, pride in accolades well-earned, self-betterment fueled by envy, etc.) and the bosses were negative representations of the virtues.

you could also think of it as yaldabaoth's attacks condemning them for sins/qualities unwanted by society, and them going "yeah we're nasty crimeboys what of it" and ventilating yaldy's skull with the acknowledgement of their own rebellious humanity

probably not what atlus intended though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ReturnOfFable posted:

So uhhh, looking at Royal being announced, anything in particularly you're hoping they'll add?

The love my parents could never give me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was going to make a joke about letting us romance Sae, you cowards, but uhhhhhhhh we've had enough of that talk right now.

Also Sae is the worst.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

I was going to make a joke about letting us romance Sae, you cowards, but uhhhhhhhh we've had enough of that talk right now.

Also Sae is the worst.

The one sin the cop manages to avoid.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

:same:

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

I was going to make a joke about letting us romance Sae, you cowards,

Given that I think Sae is coded as being lesbian, I would find that more of a violation of her established character than I do Ohya's romance.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

P5's got too many unhealthy romances already

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, Yusuke is underpowered. I hope he gets buffed in Royal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

TheDavies posted:

Given that I think Sae is coded as being lesbian, I would find that more of a violation of her established character than I do Ohya's romance.

She is? How so?