Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

My biggest concern with Manga right now is while Orochi looks cool and the expanded S Class fights were cool I can't remember where Garou is in all of this.

This arc is about him too you know.

Only the Zombieman fight has been cool so far in my book. The boy genius fight made him look like a chump. He's a top ranked s-class and he had to pull out all the stops for a mook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad Murata made my friend Phoenixman powerful.

Please do not belittle him.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

Only the Zombieman fight has been cool so far in my book. The boy genius fight made him look like a chump. He's a top ranked s-class and he had to pull out all the stops for a mook?
Yeah that fight dragged on and on. Zombieman fight was top notch. I found flashyflash fight confusing, but I still enjoyed it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Between all the various small/medium/large/galaxy brain takes, spoilers with speculation on the same page with ONE spoilers, and trolls, there’s only one poster in the last few pages I can rely on for correct opinions:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

My biggest concern with Manga right now is while Orochi looks cool and the expanded S Class fights were cool I can't remember where Garou is in all of this.

This arc is about him too you know.
He's not really important even in the webcomic at this point because it's about the S-class fights. He'll pop up in a bit after his naptime is over.

Terror Sweat posted:

I didn't like the CE fight either but because even taking into account the redraw it wasn't a fight I thought fit the character. Child Emperor isn't like his mentor who builds massive drones and strike robots for purposes; he's always built smaller more child-like gadgets of lethal function. The start of his little arc was great, octopus turrets and weaponized candy wrappers. Then he pulls a giant mech out of nowhere and proceeds to go toe to toe with a dragon level threat right after we just had a much more satisfying fight like that with Flashy Flash.

I didn't think he should have had a mech, and I don't think Child Emperor of all the S-class warranted a chapter that spans probably 2/3 of a volume by itself. Flashy, Zombieman, Sweetmask, and even PPP were all the right length and hit the right beats. Zombieman specifically made him look so much better and he's already my favorite character of the bunch. I get what was probably the point of the Child Emperor sequence; he's supposed to start losing confidence in his own ability which will lead into later developments, and he's supposed to exhaust his tools. We also have the ninja brothers back alive so they will be relevant later down the line. But man if there wasn't another dragon fight coming up that could have accomplished all this and more without needing 3 chapters to do it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
i thought the mech was appropriate because it was proportioned like a gacha gundam mini

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If they were on the same scale as the dog robot he used, and maybe they combined into something like the cerberus robot in size I might not have minded. But just because it was designed to look like a toy didn't make it feel any more like something he would actually have around. At least to me.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
as a Japanese boy genius it would have been weird if he didn't have a giant mech

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the pacing is fine outside of the interminable martial arts tournament, which while it ended strong didn't seem to have much of a point except desperately trying to keep Saitama from actually getting involved with the main storyline

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think the time limit helped make the mech much more suiting to what seems to be CE's deal. it's a temporary weapon that solves a problem, and then he's done with it. generally CE's stuff is kind of "fire and forget" in that it has a specific purpose, and once it's fulfilled that purpose, stops sticking around. he's a very "disposable tools" kind of fighter as i see it, unlike the various cyborgs/robot drones who tend to be somewhat all-purpose problem solvers whereever they are, even if at the end of the day they're somewhat disposable

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jerkface posted:

i thought the mech was appropriate because it was proportioned like a gacha gundam mini

It's incredibly appropriate, because it's a Giant Robo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Someone post the panels where its three robots standing on top of each other and then in the very next panel it's a giant robot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Murata really should do a side manga about all of Child Emporer's mechanical work so he doesn't just have Deus Ex offscreen projects. Like, his incredible Pandora backpack

Gologle posted:

Someone post the panels where its three robots standing on top of each other and then in the very next panel it's a giant robot.

Sure, not a problem.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I think Garou was last seen skirmishing with Orochi in the throne room? If he was KOed there he ought to be dead, since Saitama jumped off that rock with enough force to make it land like a nuke. Garou's been powerleveling pretty fast, but I'm not sure if his healing factor is on Boros' level yet.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

last we saw garou was helping his kid bud escape

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Garou was last seen in a crater after he got his rear end beat by Orochi. It's unknown if he's moved since then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

last we saw garou was helping his kid bud escape

No, that was two chapters before he fought Orochi. Chapter 92, of him actually losing his fight to Orochi was the last time we saw him.

It has been 16 chapters since Garou has been sighted.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Murata really should do a side manga about all of Child Emporer's mechanical work so he doesn't just have Deus Ex offscreen projects. Like, his incredible Pandora backpack

Sure, not a problem.

I love those pages. :allears:

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I would just like to remind everyone that Orochi served the story purpose of being a giant that explodes into laser spewing Chinese dragons which then do Kung-fu with their tiny T-Rex arms and that he is going to look absolutely terrible when animated as a stiff CG blob moving at 3 frames per second with whoosh panels penciled over as kung-fu effects.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That doesn't seem like the kind of design a kid should be making...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The junk collector posted:

I would just like to remind everyone that Orochi served the story purpose of being a giant that explodes into laser spewing Chinese dragons which then do Kung-fu with their tiny T-Rex arms and that he is going to look absolutely terrible when animated as a stiff CG blob moving at 3 frames per second with whoosh panels penciled over as kung-fu effects.

I don't think they are getting there this season, so it will be left with the next studio.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think they are getting there this season, so it will be left with the next studio.
Surprise!

Studio DEEN

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Reading too much into it (which is the joke). He's building it to be a mega-tough junkyard dog (like, maybe even actually inspired by the actual classic WWF pro wrestler of the same name) super-warrior, but it also kind of looks like if Hard Gay (a very different sort of pro wrestler) and the legendary actual Cerberus did a fusion dance. Of course, innocent CE would never see that at all.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

:jpmf:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I liked the 3 seconds that Saitama was in this episode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

This looks like absolutely the kind of edgy 'tough' design a kid would think looks cool.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think the point being made is that the spikes, collars, and chains make it look kinda like bdsm

It also looks like standard junkyard dog stuff, which is fine and reasonable for a kid to have seen on tv

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Lobe posted:

CE doesn't actually know what any of that actually signifies, he just likes the Battle Toads and the Battle Toad aesthetic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Child Emperor just didnt seem like a character who would get in a 1v1 power level testing fight in the first place. We've been told a few times that rankings are a measure of usefulness to the hero organization and not just power level and I thought he was supposed to be an example of that (he's also the one who kept his eye on what the organization actually wanted, rescuing that kid). Idk how it goes down in the original.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
He's literally the one who invented the power scouter and was flabbergasted at the thought that its numerical absolute rankings of objective power could somehow be flawed

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

he didn't get a fight in the original iirc

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kild posted:

he didn't get a fight in the original iirc

It's more that he had two incredibly one sided encounters. He mulched webcomic Phoenixman in a single panel using only his backpack weapons pretty much like he did in the manga minus the transparent film. In his next encounter He couldn't do anything against Evil Natural Water since it's immune to his gadgets and has a weakpoint that nobody can really strike being made of water and all But both of them are barely shown or so brief they didn't warrant any panel time.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I forgot that there was a new episode of the anime out a few days ago, since nobody was here complaining about how terrible it was. This episode were perfectly inoffensive. It was a shockingly adequate episode by Season 2 standards.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And it had 17 animation directors.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new chapter
King, you did it again. Truly is the strongest hero.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
What an incalculable power...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
How could anyone hope to stand up to such a deadly force?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Trickery and subterfuge are no match for raw power

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Imagine being so weak that you actually have to one punch your enemies to defeat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol at that chapter but also holy gently caress at tatsumaki