Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I had no idea those sparklers on the launch pad were to ignite the leftover hydrogen. I had always assumed the were what was starting the engines initially, like igniting an Oxy acetylene torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1133483584352804864

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oh goddammit why can't I afford this?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

SCE to AUX
https://youtu.be/SSN4MIsP_90

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

"I'll sell you the whole drat thing for a song!" - Victor Lustig

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy poo poo the zipline goon made it big.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/4vhNBLz.mp4

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Cool, I hadn't heard this story before. If you're interested, here's the Wikipedia summary. It's a great example of conductivity for my students next year. The lightening tracked along the exhaust trail since it was full of ions!

Wikipedia posted:

Apollo 12 launched on schedule from Kennedy Space Center, during a rainstorm. It was the first rocket launch attended by an incumbent US president, Richard Nixon. Thirty-six and one half seconds after lift-off, the vehicle triggered a lightning discharge through itself and down to the Earth through the Saturn's ionized plume. Protective circuits on the fuel cells in the service module (SM) detected overloads and took all three fuel cells offline, along with much of the command and service module (CSM) instrumentation. A second strike at 52 seconds after launch knocked out the "8-ball" attitude indicator. The telemetry stream at Mission Control was garbled. However, the vehicle continued to fly correctly; the strikes had not affected the Saturn V instrument unit.

The loss of all three fuel cells put the CSM entirely on batteries, which were unable to maintain normal 75-ampere launch loads on the 28-volt DC bus. One of the AC inverters dropped offline. These power supply problems lit nearly every warning light on the control panel and caused much of the instrumentation to malfunction.

Electrical, Environmental and Consumables Manager (EECOM) John Aaron remembered the telemetry failure pattern from an earlier test when a power supply malfunctioned in the CSM signal conditioning electronics (SCE), which converted raw signals from instrumentation to standard voltages for the spacecraft instrument displays and telemetry encoders.[5]

Aaron made a call, "Flight, EECOM. Try SCE to Aux", which switched the SCE to a backup power supply. The switch was fairly obscure, and neither Flight Director Gerald Griffin, CAPCOM Gerald Carr, nor Mission Commander Pete Conrad immediately recognized it. Lunar Module Pilot Alan Bean, flying in the right seat as the spacecraft systems engineer, remembered the SCE switch from a training incident a year earlier when the same failure had been simulated. Aaron's quick thinking and Bean's memory saved what could have been an aborted mission, and earned Aaron the reputation of a "steely-eyed missile man".[6] Bean put the fuel cells back on line, and with telemetry restored, the launch continued successfully. Once in Earth parking orbit, the crew carefully checked out their spacecraft before re-igniting the S-IVB third stage for trans-lunar injection. The lightning strikes had caused no serious permanent damage.

Malachi Constant has a new favorite as of 23:26 on May 31, 2019

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

thespaceinvader posted:

you were not born to, friend. gaze longingly at your betters as they soar through the sky and know that they deserve it

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

you were not born to, friend. gaze longingly at your betters as they soar through the sky and know that they deserve it

Or, you know, honor the French and decapitate and redistribute.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/OdedRechavi/status/1134908633140158464

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I think this guy qualifies for the thread.

Andy Detwiler is a farmer from Ohio with a youtube channel. He videos himself doing day to day tasks around the farm.

Oh, and he has No Arms!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHIGor387P0

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/meowmays/status/1135576996409413632

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That tricycle atv is more lethal than any barbarian axe he ever painted

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

She didn't look like she was having that much fun.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Phy posted:

That tricycle atv is more lethal than any barbarian axe he ever painted

Do you wish you could mix the weight and awkward high speed handling of a quad, with the instability of a dirt bike? How do you feel about a machine that lusts for human blood? If you love all those things ride a trike ATV!

I learned how to ride on one of those. If your body isn’t hanging off the inside side the trike in a turn you’re gonna roll. Those machines are happiest upside down, pinning an injured rider to the ground. With an Quad or a dirtbike you can feel when you hit the edge of your cornering capability and tone it down. With the trike you are just suddenly past it and it’s rolling.

My friend took a turn too hard and it rolled and put the shifter pedal into her calf. Like just right in there. It created a new cavity in her body. Those abominations should only be ridden by its creators and marketers as punishment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
every single person i know who had or drove one of those things managed to either hurt themselves or narrowly avoid certain death (usually self inflicted) on one.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Richard Bong posted:

My friend took a turn too hard and it rolled and put the shifter pedal into her calf. Like just right in there. It created a new cavity in her body. Those abominations should only be ridden by its creators and marketers as punishment.

My brother did this through his abdomen with the handle of a bicycle, after the rubber grip had come off, so it was just a metal cylinder. When he pulled the handle out (or rather, lifted his body off the handle), the plug of human flesh was still inside the tube; it had taken a perfect circle out of him like a cookie cutter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lady Disdain posted:

My brother did this through his abdomen with the handle of a bicycle, after the rubber grip had come off, so it was just a metal cylinder. When he pulled the handle out (or rather, lifted his body off the handle), the plug of human flesh was still inside the tube; it had taken a perfect circle out of him like a cookie cutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywExJR4lrI

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Was expecting https://youtu.be/941z56i7QJE?t=70s instead.

joat mon has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Jun 4, 2019

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've seen that done to trees.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lady Disdain posted:

I think I know your brother. Are you from Cleveland?

Then again it’s probably somewhat common.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I also rode a trike ATV around potholed country roads while not wearing a helmet and I have baffled Christendom by continuing to live.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think I know your brother. Are you from Cleveland?

Then again it’s probably somewhat common.

Nope, Australia.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

Nope, Australia.

What about Cleveland, Australia?

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003
They're not so bad if ridden strictly on sand dunes, I flipped 4 or 5 times and it's a nice soft landing, provided it also doesn't land on you.

On asphalt is tantamount to suicide.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:q:

https://twitter.com/discarding_imgs/status/1135980293586857989

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The origin story of super meat boy

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's some extreme dedication to getting your freak on.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

So your secretly aspiring to sainthood?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Aspirin?! He's gonna need stronger stuff than that!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Aspirin?! He's gonna need stronger stuff than that!

Aspirin? I hardly know 'er.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

A hero? This tale needs a heroine.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

By popular demand posted:

A hero? This tale needs a heroine.

Watch The Knick. Heroine trumps coca.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/41strange/status/1136017850643111936?s=21

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Is that the most Punk a caterpillar can get?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I was like, aww it looks like it's wearing a blanket and a sadd...oh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

looks like bebop

holttho
May 21, 2007

Some depictions of him are more badass than others. It is his own skin he carries around

As a bonus, apparently H.R. Geiger has been alive and working for 500 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Better keep moving when the 'peckers are around...

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1136337927250894848