Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Guide to online multiplayer design:

1) Form a group with your friends, via the friends list that you have, on your system
2) Pick a thing to do
3) Now you are doing that thing together

I don't know how Nintendo fucks this up it's SUCH A SIMPLE CONCEPT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wait, I thought the friend list was just to get notifications of who came online and to see what games they are playing. You're trying to say that we should be able to play games with these people?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hate all my friends I can’t imagine wanting to play video games with them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's a good thing Nintendo's good at the actual making-games thing, because lmao the switch has been out over two years, it's pretty clear the infrastructure stuff isn't a "work in progress", it's just how this is gonna be:

- online is paid now but adds nothing over when it was free except some NES roms. RIP "they're making it a paid service so they can make it good!"
- no sign of SNES roms still.
- barebone friends functionality, universally worse than any other service.
- can't manually organize your games like you could on the drat Wii.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1133464475514933257

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The images of Mario playing maps with Luigi are pretty misleading now. He should be accidentally playing with Bowser.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Pigbuster posted:

The images of Mario playing maps with Luigi are pretty misleading now. He should be accidentally playing with Bowser.

I anal but I think this is valid grounds for a class action lawsuit

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

- online is paid now but adds nothing over when it was free except some NES roms. RIP "they're making it a paid service so they can make it good!"

The online service was always listed as temporarily free until the official launch of the service, at which point a subscription would be required. Call it lovely if you want, but they were clear from the start that what you were getting for free before would eventually cost money.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I keep having dreams that MM2 is out already.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tender Bender posted:

This is every console. I don't know why anyone thought Nintendo would be different.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
PS Plus gives you free games every month which stay in your library permanently which is how I got Rocket League for free at launch and I've played a poo poo ton of that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey keep it in the bedroom buddy.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm getting the feeling this is gonna get changed eventually now that it's gone viral surprisingly fast. By that I mean at least it's managed to get on Twitter's Trending moments worldwide and that...probably is not what Nintendo expected to see today in regards to Super Mario Maker 2 impressions.

https://twitter.com/AkfamilyhomeAK/status/1133450255591038976?s=20

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Popete posted:

PS Plus gives you free games every month which stay in your library permanently which is how I got Rocket League for free at launch and I've played a poo poo ton of that.

I'm glad that I have Conan Exiles forever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't know how Nintendo fucks this up it's SUCH A SIMPLE CONCEPT

Nintendo couldn't even add Doki Doki Panic mechanics to Mario Maker 2, you seriously expect them to get online play right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Takoluka posted:

I'm glad that I have Conan Exiles forever.

I mean they give you a ton of good games.

In one year you got blood borne, Yakuza 0 and Remake.

That’s the price of admission right there

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

The online service was always listed as temporarily free until the official launch of the service, at which point a subscription would be required. Call it lovely if you want, but they were clear from the start that what you were getting for free before would eventually cost money.

Takoluka posted:

This is every console. I don't know why anyone thought Nintendo would be different.

The other consoles have competent matchmaking and friend integration though. Correct that Nintendo didn't promise they would, but there was an argument by fans that their barebones service would become better once they started charging for it, which proved wrong.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Popete posted:

PS Plus gives you free games every month which stay in your library permanently *as long as you continue paying*

Not to mention the games of rocket league caliber aren't 'given away' until long after they've been in the bargain bin

Does ps+ even let you buy those give away games yet? Last I checked it you couldn't own the games given to you outright unless you weren't on ps+

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bushisms.txt posted:

Not to mention the games of rocket league caliber aren't 'given away' until long after they've been in the bargain bin

Whether they are in the bargain bin isn’t terribly important

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Whether they are in the bargain bin isn’t terribly important

If we're gonna talk about value, a pile of year old games is on topic

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

If we're gonna talk about value, a pile of year old games is on topic

Yeah the value is pretty insane.

Two games a month that retail at 20 is insane.

They aren’t all great but you will come out ahead

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

bushisms.txt posted:

Rocket League was literally free on PS+ the day it was released lol

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

So you're only paying another $20 for basic internet functions they did for free last generation.

That's some insane value.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You could have bought rocket league many times over for the price of Sony's online

Nintendo is doing a dumb, but bad comparisons are still bad

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So I guess a Mario Maker 2 delay is inevitable now.

They could fix this before launch, right?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can still play online with friends with two stipulations:

1. you're not friends beforehand
2. you never play together again

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey Nintendo if I pay $60 like the other big boy subs can you start making all your multiplayer games work the same and let me play the full experience (Super Mario Party) online with my friends (Mario Maker 2) thanks

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

The Bloop posted:

You could have bought rocket league many times over for the price of Sony's online

Nintendo is doing a dumb, but bad comparisons are still bad

Do you think you only get rocket league with a yearly sub? Or are you illustrating what a bad comaprison looks like?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Rocket League was literally free on PS+ the day it was released lol

So new users can still get rocket league for free? When did they change that?

And my point is that level of game is not released for free every month. Nor are the games free since you're paying at least 40 for basic services, especially if none of the games on 'offer' appeal to you.

When I had psn for the ps3 I couldn't even force myself to play the games they were giving away then, because there's just too many new games and especially the multiplayer ones were shadows of their launch selves.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Why is Mario Maker 2 being random only the breaking point for people when it comes to Nintendo's online?

I'm not saying it's unjustifiable, but Nintendo's online has been pretty lovely for a long time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

bushisms.txt posted:

So new users can still get rocket league for free? When did they change that?

And my point is that level of game is not released for free every month. Nor are the games free since you're paying at least 40 for basic services, especially if none of the games on 'offer' appeal to you.

When I had psn for the ps3 I couldn't even force myself to play the games they were giving away then, because there's just too many new games and especially the multiplayer ones were shadows of their launch selves.

My point was that the specific example you used was wrong

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Deified Data posted:

I'll admit, it looks like good brainless fun and i want to try it.

But I just watched Jim Sterling's (positive) review of it and I don't know if I can handle the constant moe girl squealing - it sounds like a terribly obnoxious game to play around other people, which on the Switch I am half the time.

I'll have to look when I get home tonight but I think the audio sliders might have one for voices so you could just mute that, but I cant remember. Could have been all sfx which would be awful to disable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

So you're only paying another $20 for basic internet functions they did for free last generation.

That's some insane value.

How is paying for something I didn’t have to value.

I know your trying to be sarcastic but I can’t figure out what your going for here

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

My point was that the specific example you used was wrong

I was using rocket league as a standard, mid level indie, and not the game itself. As in, the games being given out now are scraps and hardly ever something new now that Sony has their momentum. You'd need to look at MS games with gold if you actually want to talk about games worth looking at when offered.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
PS Plus value depends on if you like the games you get every month. But even if you only care for a few of them you may come out "ahead". They've given away a fair amount of big name games like Phantom Pain, Rocket League, For Honor, Yakuza, Destiny 2 etc...

Again I'd rather pay no moneys to be able play online with friends, but compare that to Nintendo who doesn't even give you basic multiplayer and friend chat party support. I guess you get some NES games which is cool.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

How is paying for something I didn’t have to value.

I know your trying to be sarcastic but I can’t figure out what your going for here

You'll have to excuse my addled brain, I'm constantly reediting to make myself readable. But no, I don't think that's value at all. I only have nso because of twitch prime and i only have twitch prime because they resubbed me despite me cancelling it a year ago. I try not to pay for any passes, like I only got the gamepass because it was a dollar.

This all started because I was trying to point out how dumb it is to think ps+ is giving you any value when we know sony hates doing anything for the customer. They're still on p2p and just got name changes after all those bullshit hacks. The games given out have been cynically mathed to be given when they present no extra value from the publisher.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
In 2018 alone I've gotten:

-Bloodborne
-Hitman 1
-Yakuza Zero
-Rayman Legends
-Xcom 2
-Heavy Rain
-Destiny 2
-iconoclasts

In previous years I got a ton of other poo poo across PS4, vita, PS3.

Plus online play which isn't free on any other console. All for $50 a year. It's fine if you don't see the value or don't like the games but dude...it's $50. Either pay it or don't!

You're trying way too hard to convince those of us who are very very happy with the price + free games that we're getting ripped off or something

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bushisms.txt posted:

You'll have to excuse my addled brain, I'm constantly reediting to make myself readable. But no, I don't think that's value at all. I only have nso because of twitch prime and i only have twitch prime because they resubbed me despite me cancelling it a year ago. I try not to pay for any passes, like I only got the gamepass because it was a dollar.

This all started because I was trying to point out how dumb it is to think ps+ is giving you any value when we know sony hates doing anything for the customer. They're still on p2p and just got name changes after all those bullshit hacks. The games given out have been cynically mathed to be given when they present no extra value from the publisher.

"Value" is subjective and non-constant between parties such as publishers and customers

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Tender Bender posted:

It's a good thing Nintendo's good at the actual making-games thing, because lmao the switch has been out over two years, it's pretty clear the infrastructure stuff isn't a "work in progress", it's just how this is gonna be:

- no sign of SNES roms still.
- barebone friends functionality, universally worse than any other service.
- can't manually organize your games like you could on the drat Wii.

Nintendo is only good at the making games thing. That is literally all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nintendo is hilariously bad at everything online, this is like a tradition, and I'm genuinely surprised to learn anyone thought it would be otherwise this time

They make good games, but the monthly fee? :capitalism: