Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alizee posted:

Agreed, but it depends if they actually care about long term growth or quarterly interests lol. If I'm a manager at McDonalds, I would definitely prefer a 30 year old lifer than a 16 year old that will quit in 6 months.

In my experience knowing and working for small business owners, their thought process starts and ends at "does this cost me more money today"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

In my experience knowing and working for small business owners, their thought process starts and ends at "does this cost me more money today"

My last job for a small business employer paid slightly above minimum wage, then I quit, and they contracted me back for the same work at $40 an hour.

Unsurprisingly, they are no longer in business.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Michel Cadotte learns his sentence today for manslaughtering his wife, who had late-stage old timers' disease. The Crown says eight years, because being really tired of taking care of someone being tortured to death by their own brain isn't a reason to kill someone; defence says 6-12 months because it was an act of mercy that took way too long in coming.

Predictions?

quote:

Testifying in his own defence, Cadotte said he killed Lizotte because he couldn't stand seeing his wife continue to suffer.

The court heard that Cadotte had made inquiries about how to seek medical assistance in dying on his wife's behalf in 2014.

He was told Lizotte would be ineligible because her death was not imminent, and she was not coherent enough to consent — key criteria under Quebec's law.

Crown prosecutor Geneviève Langlois argued Cadotte should get an eight-year prison sentence.

She told the judge the sentence needs to send a message to society that it's not right to cause someone's death — even when there is suffering, even when one feels worn down — "because human life is sacred."

Seven years in an old folks' home taught me a lot of useful stuff, like how there ain't fuckall sacred about the state that we let the elderly die in. Just gimme two grams of fentanyl and a stick to fight off the dogs.

Caregiver fatigue is a horrible, horrible thing, though. Nobody should let themselves get to that point either.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Alizee posted:

Agreed, but it depends if they actually care about long term growth or quarterly interests lol. If I'm a manager at McDonalds, I would definitely prefer a 30 year old lifer than a 16 year old that will quit in 6 months.

It's much easier to control a workforce of precarious and inexperienced workers who lack the confidence or feeling of security to argue with you when you change their schedule last minute. A manager's interests are not necessarily the same as the interests of the overall business.

vyelkin posted:

Even the job creator is probably worse off because now they're getting some apathetic unproductive 16-year-old worker instead of a motivated adult, but if they voluntarily chose to pay the $2 more per hour to hire an adult their small business head would explode.

Yeah, I've watched a small business owner trying to fill an above entry level position that involved both physical and mental labour, lock up responsibilities, driving large trucks and handling crucial paperwork by offering minimum wage and a 6 days per week schedule. This guy kept complaining that everyone he gave the job to quit after a few months, sometimes after having a public meltdown first, but despite having had five or six people go through this role in the last two years he responded to the idea of raising the pay by saying "No, I just don't think that makes sense for that position."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Seven years in an old folks' home taught me a lot of useful stuff, like how there ain't fuckall sacred about the state that we let the elderly die in. Just gimme two grams of fentanyl and a stick to fight off the dogs.

My grandmother was well cared for in a good nursing facility and it still upset me greatly to go visit her, both because of her condition and others in the facility. There's something terribly perverse about forcing people to live out their last days like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing posted:

It's much easier to control a workforce of precarious and inexperienced workers who lack the confidence or feeling of security to argue with you when you change their schedule last minute. A manager's interests are not necessarily the same as the interests of the overall business.

Yeah, I've watched a small business owner trying to fill an above entry level position that involved both physical and mental labour, lock up responsibilities, driving large trucks and handling crucial paperwork by offering minimum wage and a 6 days per week schedule. This guy kept complaining that everyone he gave the job to quit after a few months, sometimes after having a public meltdown first, but despite having had five or six people go through this role in the last two years he responded to the idea of raising the pay by saying "No, I just don't think that makes sense for that position."

Yep, or you get even worse people like the owner of some local McDonalds franchises who, after paying people minimum wage to deal with a location that's right across from the homeless shelter and noticing he has crippling high turn-over, declares that canadian youth are just all lazy, entitled, and cowards. He then declares that since he can't find the skills in Canada he successfully applies to the TFW program and brings in a boat load of mostly Filipino kids who he houses in a big illegal rooming house he owns. These people have a much better work ethic than Canadians because they know if they report the assault they just suffered or complain about the triple shifts they'll get deported.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ah, I see you've been to 99 Rideau.

(This is a satire post, not a serious accusation. I have no personal knowledge of anything, on any topic.)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/alexboutilier/status/1133383648466673666

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I went to high school with Kevin Chan, and the whole place was absolutely convinced that he would wind up in some high-powered Parliamentary position. Half-marks.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

flakeloaf posted:

Ah, I see you've been to 99 Rideau.

(This is a satire post, not a serious accusation. I have no personal knowledge of anything, on any topic.)

Yeah I was literally thinking this reading that post haha. Goon meet haha?

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Wonder if they can apply this if they’re in Canadian airspace too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

infernal machines posted:

Like, he does realize that students are the next generation of voters, right? At some point they hit 18 and it's not like they're going to forget this.

They also campaigned on cutting overtime payouts (in that banked time would get paid at 1.0x base, rather than 1.5x), a move that disproportionately affects tradespeople, who also seem to have voted for the UCP in droves. :iiam:

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

They also campaigned on cutting overtime payouts (in that banked time would get paid at 1.0x base, rather than 1.5x), a move that disproportionately affects tradespeople, who also seem to have voted for the UCP in droves. :iiam:

This is basically a reversion to what it was before a year or so ago. They probably didn’t even realize the change. And yeah, I know several people in the trades on both sides of the management fence, and I know that companies were pushing really really really hard for this.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I get the feeling that anyone who is a member of CFIB or one of those sacred "job creators" read 1984 and concluded that they are the special 2% that will join the Upper Party instead of realising that they are members of the Lower Party that get the poo poo kicked out of them and aren't special.

Who cares about the Proles amiright? We were always at war with Eurasia

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

PittTheElder posted:

New slogan - Get cucked by the cons!

Seems like most provinces are at 40 hours and 1.5x

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/ca/resources/payroll/rules-of-overtime-in-canada/

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Alizee posted:

New slogan - Get cucked by the cons!

Seems like most provinces are at 40 hours and 1.5x

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/ca/resources/payroll/rules-of-overtime-in-canada/

I’d have to dig into the actual wording, but my understanding is that overtime in a pay period is as normal, 1.5 base. It’s banked time that’s changing. This is mostly used by trades as Pitt noted. For a lot of the building trades the hours of work can be very weather dependant and sporadic. So a lot of projects as well as a lot of workers do the following: work a 16 hour day or so for every good day in the spring and summer while only drawing a pay check for 44 hours a week. All the extra time worked is banked, and the bank is used to top up weeks with bad weather to 44 hours and any extra banked time at the end of the fall is used to keep the pay checks coming over the winter months.

Companies like this system because they can keep their work force over the winter, and the workers usually like it because they don’t have to pick up part time winter employment (though lots do anyway). It used to be the way it’s going back to now. Hours banked are paid out at one to one. The NDP changed it to 1.5 to 1, because they saw overtime as overtime. Companies hated this because it pushed costs up, and most of them were either bringing in more temporary employees for the summer, cutting the permanent workers hours to stay under the overtime limit or keeping the workers going at the new overtime rate, but removing the bank option so there workers were paid out every week, all while trying to get more out of each worker.

In both cases the worker was losing a steady year round income, so a lot of them were unhappy too. Younger workers, without dependents and limited bills liked the payout, extra money in the pocket is always good, but I heard from a couple of the guys I know that they were hurting pretty bad over the winter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gorau posted:

I’d have to dig into the actual wording, but my understanding is that overtime in a pay period is as normal, 1.5 base. It’s banked time that’s changing. This is mostly used by trades as Pitt noted. For a lot of the building trades the hours of work can be very weather dependant and sporadic. So a lot of projects as well as a lot of workers do the following: work a 16 hour day or so for every good day in the spring and summer while only drawing a pay check for 44 hours a week. All the extra time worked is banked, and the bank is used to top up weeks with bad weather to 44 hours and any extra banked time at the end of the fall is used to keep the pay checks coming over the winter months.

Companies like this system because they can keep their work force over the winter, and the workers usually like it because they don’t have to pick up part time winter employment (though lots do anyway). It used to be the way it’s going back to now. Hours banked are paid out at one to one. The NDP changed it to 1.5 to 1, because they saw overtime as overtime. Companies hated this because it pushed costs up, and most of them were either bringing in more temporary employees for the summer, cutting the permanent workers hours to stay under the overtime limit or keeping the workers going at the new overtime rate, but removing the bank option so there workers were paid out every week, all while trying to get more out of each worker.

In both cases the worker was losing a steady year round income, so a lot of them were unhappy too. Younger workers, without dependents and limited bills liked the payout, extra money in the pocket is always good, but I heard from a couple of the guys I know that they were hurting pretty bad over the winter.

So it's a good policy that the bourgeoisie were using to screw over actual workers and Kenney is doing their bidding. Got it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/markusoff/status/1133441838856073216

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

Carney now occupies a place in the imaginary firmament of some Liberal insiders once reserved for Michael Ignatieff and, before him, Paul Martin.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Why would a man who's been relatively successful up to this point want that

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Are they planning some kind of backroom appointment? I can't imagine Carney could win the kind of populist-friendly, open leadership contest Trudeau did.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Dispatch the vandoos to facebook hq.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Why would a man who's been relatively successful up to this point want that

Carney seems like he really wants this and has for a long time. Remember that in 2012, he was willing to compromise the political independence of the Bank of Canada (:decorum: but this is taken very seriously) in order to float a leadership trial balloon.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Are they planning some kind of backroom appointment? I can't imagine Carney could win the kind of populist-friendly, open leadership contest Trudeau did.

Under current LPC rules, it's really hard to do a backroom appointment or change to rules to make one possible. There also aren't a lot of tools the party can use to dissuade potential entrants since the party is the leader rn.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Looking forward to him Jebbing hard.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

absolute mess of a party

https://twitter.com/SusanDelacourt/status/1133120538694639617

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Elisabeth May: Please, I just want to see my children again. You can end this. Let me go home.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Under current LPC rules, it's really hard to do a backroom appointment or change to rules to make one possible. There also aren't a lot of tools the party can use to dissuade potential entrants since the party is the leader rn.

While this is all true it is also worth pointing out that Trudeau's biggest supporter among the still-influential Old Guard of Liberal bigwigs is apparently Stephan loving Dion, charisma void and total poltroon.

The fact that guys like Kinsella are knives out is a sign that the Chretien faction in particular are just about done with the boy king, and Hebert is correct to point out that history repeats itself in the LPC for some pretty good reasons. Watching a disaffected faction or two of Liberals rally around Paul Martin Mark Carney would be pretty par for the course.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Gorau posted:

are you loving serious that there are actually people out there that want their overtime valued at straight time. how loving dumb do you have to be

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

"yes, please pay me less money."

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Plenty of places quite happy to do overtime at straight pay that instead institute an absolute ban on it when it's required to be paid at time and a half.

So for the worker, it's not a choice between $1000 and $1500, it's $1000 and $0. (Like mentioned re: minimum wage, go figure.)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

There is no choice on the worker's part. That's a lovely employer screwing with them in both cases.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Plenty of people are happy to take OT at straight time.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Plenty of people are happy to take OT at straight time.

So go break their scab legs. That poo poo is retarded.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bring back OT at 2x wage

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2019/05/27/Forensic-Accounting-NDP/

This could be a compelling look at many of the things that the thread talks about consistent. Particularly that it focuses on party operatives taking control of the party and centralizing it. Has anyone in the thread actually read the book or is planning to read the book?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Elizabeth May is having a breakdown over maybe having more responsibilities in Parliament other than just complaining that people are being unparliamentary

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

RBC posted:

are you loving serious that there are actually people out there that want their overtime valued at straight time. how loving dumb do you have to be

Yes there are, because as noted, it’s is the choice of working or not. Most construction projects have their labour costs costed out and bid based on the estimated number of man hours it will take to complete. With weather starting and stopping work semi randomly, companies have to take advantage of every good hour they can. When they could bank, they used the same people who worked extra hours and got them later in the year. With forced time an a half employers brought more temporary workers in so everyone was still paid straight time, they kept their cost per man hour the same, and the long term permanent employees take an effective pay cut, because instead of working their yearly 2000 hours in 7-8 months, they only get to work 1300-1500 a year with the balance being taken by a temporary (not necessarily a foreign temporary) worker.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Gorau posted:

Yes there are, because as noted, it’s is the choice of working or not. Most construction projects have their labour costs costed out and bid based on the estimated number of man hours it will take to complete. With weather starting and stopping work semi randomly, companies have to take advantage of every good hour they can. When they could bank, they used the same people who worked extra hours and got them later in the year. With forced time an a half employers brought more temporary workers in so everyone was still paid straight time, they kept their cost per man hour the same, and the long term permanent employees take an effective pay cut, because instead of working their yearly 2000 hours in 7-8 months, they only get to work 1300-1500 a year with the balance being taken by a temporary (not necessarily a foreign temporary) worker.

So the end result is more jobs created and workers with lightened workloads. And if overtime is still required due to poor planning, it gets paid out as loving overtime. Sounds like a win to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Gorau posted:

What trade does this? Non union trades is my guess